2017 NCAA tournament game thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: 2017 NCAA tournament game thread

Post by CalStateTempe »

rgdeuce wrote:
michcat wrote:Zags desevered it. They are a complete team with a great coach.
This is going to come across as salty but i dont care.

Fuck Gonzaga. Mark Few didnt earn shit. First off, this team starts three upper classman transfers. Guys really put in that work. Their fourth starter, a fat fuck, by the greatest of luck in the world gets injured early enough in his senior season to qualify for a medical redshirt.

As if that wasnt enough of a dump in Mark Fews lap, the dude wins a couple of good nonconference games and wraps things up by getting Arizona without Trier and PJC, before hopping into their pansy ass conference and hitting cruise control, still somehow losing to BYU at home. So they get a 1 seed, barely skate by a team that shot maybe 27 percent in a game and fouled the living hell out of them all night and go to an elite 8 where they get the joke of the school that we somehow lost to, partially thanks to a freak finger injury to Alkins playing the other pansy school from their conference. We pissed away our golden path but the truth is, theirs was the absolute golden one. No disrespect to the squad they face to skate into the title game, but naturally, a 7 seed who cant keep up offensively. And then they have a 50/50 chance of playing a 3 seed playing essentially six guys for a national title (i still think Oregon would bend them over). I mean, we played more tough games in our conference schedule alone then they will have to play all season, including the tournament, to get to a final four

Oregon and Altman have earned it. Mark Few is the guy who took the easy road for over a decade and failed repeatedlt and finally saw the stars align in one perfect season.
This is all fine and dandy rg, and I totally respect many of your takes but the reality is few kept it all on track where Miller didn't. Miller is probably the better coach and few was gift tons luck, but at the end of it all were here sitting home while the zags moved on.

And we couldn't get it together enough to beat the team that they creamed today. That's not luck. Ftr the way the zags looked today, we are probably going home had we had to play them.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

rgdeuce wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:My hot take has nothing to do with geography and more with the style of play to the coaches. Alford is an idiot with no control so you can do what you want. Alford is a great coach who give you the freedom to create. Miller ball is pack line and motion offense but despite having similar level of talent relative to Oregon, is less enthusiastic over letting his throughbreds run.

If your a top talent, Oregon>ucla>Arizona, as it stands after this tourney, imho
Yes, Oregon lost Boucher, but they already have what they lost in him. Plenty of outside shooting and another presence around the rim/protector. They lost a luxury. Amazing coaching job by Altman, who were already knew was a great coach. But lets not pretend he pulled off a miracle here. Pac 12 POY, a guy who is playing like the POY right now, and a great 15th year senior, Bell, Pritchard. Thats still a damn good starting five. And of course, sixth man is a dude that started for them last year.

ive brought this up before, but Altman is super successful because he doesnt have the turnover Miller does. Think hes had two big names leave early and i dont think any were after freshman or soph years. Guys stay four years at Oregon. So in terms of recruiting, I wouldnt worry too much. If Altman wants to put on his big boy pants and recruit w the blue bloods then so be it. He hasnt proven he can, he hasnt proven he can win like that, and it isnt like hes developing guys into NBA players. If you want to win in college, Altman is a great choice. But most top 30 guys are looking beyond that and that is why they mostly go to a handful of particular coaches. No knock on Altman but until I see him do, Im not super worried.

Arizona is still the gold standard out west, program and recruiting. Until UCLA or Oregon strings off 6 or 7 top classes in a row, that will not change. Until Oregon continues what theyve been doing the last few years for an extended period, they are still 2nd or 3rd fiddle in the conference. After wisconsins 14 and 15 success, are they the crown jewel of the big 10? Oregon wins their way and we win ours. There wont this huge overlap IMO. But, if there is then bring it on. Its good for us to have Oregon and UCLA joining us in the top 10 every year. The ACC is big enough for Duke and North Carolina and Louisville (and a slew of others). More guys will want to come here if and when we get that type of situation going
ISo many gems :D
michcat

Post by michcat »

rgdeuce wrote:

Fuck Gonzaga. Mark Few didnt earn shit. First off, this team starts three upper classman transfers. Guys really put in that work. Their fourth starter, a fat fuck, by the greatest of luck in the world gets injured early enough in his senior season to qualify for a medical redshirt.

As if that wasnt enough of a dump in Mark Fews lap, the dude wins a couple of good nonconference games and wraps things up by getting Arizona without Trier and PJC, before hopping into their pansy ass conference and hitting cruise control, still somehow losing to BYU at home. So they get a 1 seed, barely skate by a team that shot maybe 27 percent in a game and fouled the living hell out of them all night and go to an elite 8 where they get the joke of the school that we somehow lost to, partially thanks to a freak finger injury to Alkins playing the other pansy school from their conference. We pissed away our golden path but the truth is, theirs was the absolute golden one. No disrespect to the squad they face to skate into the title game, but naturally, a 7 seed who cant keep up offensively. And then they have a 50/50 chance of playing a 3 seed playing essentially six guys for a national title (i still think Oregon would bend them over). I mean, we played more tough games in our conference schedule alone then they will have to play all season, including the tournament, to get to a final four

Oregon and Altman have earned it. Mark Few is the guy who took the easy road for over a decade and failed repeatedlt and finally saw the stars align in one perfect season.
Good take RG. I agree Few was given a golden path to the FF but that win against WV was impressive and hard fought. I don't think anyone wanted to play those dudes in this tournament. Now lets see how he does against the big boys and I hope to see a Ore / Gonz final.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Altman (in 6 years at oregon) and Few both make a FF before Miller.

Sigh.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Dave

Post by Dave »

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... nba-draft/" target="_blank

This is what college basketball has become. You lose both players and your back to rebuild mode. You get them back and you are one of the top teams in the country.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dave wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... nba-draft/

This is what college basketball has become. You lose both players and your back to rebuild mode. You get them back and you are one of the top teams in the country.
Lauri would come back to college if he was at Oregon or some place other than Arizona.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Pretty much.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Frybry02 wrote:

Pretty much.
And that's sort of why I think we need to modify our recruiting strategy just a little bit, to try and increase the chances guys come back for their second and even third years.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol...shot clock stuck at 15 and won't restart in the Florida sc game. Gonna have a lot of positions if this keeps up.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We are heading towards pit level clock mgmt with a stopwatch. Lol
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This shot clock issue is making this game super shitty.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

What a game! This game is going down to the wire. No one has had more than a 2 point lead for most of the second half.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

When is taking 4 steps without dribbling not a traveling violation?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

South Carolina, now there is a Cinderella. Frank Martin is a hell of a coach. The cocks are coming to AZ
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azcat49 wrote:Frank Martin is a hell of a coach.
In his 5th year there.

Yeah, I'd say that's a hell of a coach.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

God damn south Carolina, who has been to the tournament less than ASU is going to a final 4 before Miller
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:God damn south Carolina, who has been to the tournament less than ASU is going to a final 4 before Miller
:lol: :oops:

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Catintheheat wrote:When is taking 4 steps without dribbling not a traveling violation?
Since the UNC/Arkansas game
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:South Carolina, now there is a Cinderella. Frank Martin is a hell of a coach. The cocks are coming to AZ

If people think Miller yells a lot, they should check out Frank Martin.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

While I dont want to doubt any of the other three teams, is this UNC-Kentucky game for a championship?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

nah...Oregons gonna manhandle whoever wins this game.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

CalStateTempe wrote:nah...Oregons gonna manhandle whoever wins this game.
Who the hell knows. Every game is different. They could have very easily lost to R.I.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

South Carolina going to the final 4 is more shocking than ASU going. They are actually a much worse program all time.

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:nah...Oregons gonna manhandle whoever wins this game.
Oregon matched up well with Kansas, they don't​ with UNC.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

This game is too big for this PAC 12 crew
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Frybry02 wrote:This game is too big for this PAC 12 crew
I will say they have had a much better 2nd half
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Kentucky choking down the stretch
-JB
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

kentucky is done

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Peace out uk
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What a finish!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Guess you don't need a TO at the end of the game...
-JB
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Wow! Best game of the tournament. UK ties it up and UNC takes the lead with 0.3 to go.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:What a finish!
gotta admit, that ending surprised me. figured uk was really done, and they made a heck of a game out of it. of course north carolina responded at the end. heck of a finish.

FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

It's going to be a good FF. I don't hate any of the teams. UNC is my favorite of the 4 elites (UNC, UK, KU, Duke). I want to see an Oregon/Gonzaga championship game.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Damn my Tar Heel kept it real.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ugh...go South Carolina or gonzaga, I guess.

South Carolina lighting in a bottle, I'm cool with them winning it all.
Altman, no thanks would crush me to see Nike you get a chip before Arizona.
UNC no thanks, their fans are insufferable enough
Zags, I'm cool with them get A chip, real apparent downside for uofa and it would reward few/the zags, no matter how lucky they are with this season.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Catintheheat wrote:It's going to be a good FF. I don't hate any of the teams. UNC is my favorite of the 4 elites (UNC, UK, KU, Duke). I want to see an Oregon/Gonzaga championship game.
Don't hate of these teams? Never have seen Oregon fans in person eh? How much better is it going to be if they have a basketball NC?
I also remember USC's large racial slur section during the CWS. They are the ASU of the Carolinas. They never cared about basketball, so they don't deserve to win.
Gonzaga is fine, but they win and they emerge as an even stronger recruiting enemy.

By process of elimination the only non-terrible team is UNC and their fake classes.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CalStateTempe wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

This is all fine and dandy rg, and I totally respect many of your takes but the reality is few kept it all on track where Miller didn't. Miller is probably the better coach and few was gift tons luck, but at the end of it all were here sitting home while the zags moved on.

And we couldn't get it together enough to beat the team that they creamed today. That's not luck. Ftr the way the zags looked today, we are probably going home had we had to play them.
Just because we shit the bed doesnt mean all does not apply to Few. Remember, before this season, this was a guy who was given a 1,2 or 3 seed five times and failed to get past the round of 32 in three of the five. Fews job was 100x easier than Millers was all season.

And you may be right bout going home but you never know. Maybe thats a night where the shots go in. I personally think our guys were looking ahead in the xavier game and thought they were going to coast by xavier. Doubt the same team would have showed up against gonzaga
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lmao. Yea im rooting for the gamecocks and UNC. From there, either is fine w me, as a UNC win meams two duke losses. I personally have never had a problem w the oregon fans but maybe im just crossing paths w the right ones
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Everyone craps on the Pac because we have zero NC's since '97. Go Oregon, I guess.

This is a really unenthusiastic vote for the Ducks.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Everyone craps on the Pac because we have zero NC's since '97. Go Oregon, I guess.

Why do we need to root for other Pac teams? I can tell you most Oregons fans could care less about us. We don't need their success to help us recruit. They have gone far enough to give the Pac exposure.

Would you feel the same if in some bizzaro universe ASU was in the NC? The Pac-12 brotherhood crap only goes so far, before we are just morons for swallowing it.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Everyone craps on the Pac because we have zero NC's since '97. Go Oregon, I guess.

Why do we need to root for other Pac teams? I can tell you most Oregons fans could care less about us. We don't need their success to help us recruit. They have gone far enough to give the Pac exposure.

Would you feel the same if in some bizzaro universe ASU was in the NC? The Pac-12 brotherhood crap only goes so far, before we are just morons for swallowing it.
X1000%. Add to that some of the dbag players as well....am already sick that Nike U made a FF before Sean and no way do I want them to advance any further! Really hoping they flameout vs UNC.....and that took a lot to say seeing as how UNC is getting away with murder vs the NCAA :-(
prh

Post by prh »

There is absolutely no reason we should cheer for Oregon. No, their fans would not cheer for us. They would be busy thinking about football. RG, damn I'm 100% agreement about Gonzaga. It's an unpopular take but man I don't know why people slobber over them. I don't care about SC, we beat them at baseball, and I don't lump Coastal in there (as we shouldn't be lumped with any of the other 3 programs in Arizona). I'd prefer to see a UNC SC final.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

1stNGrant Frys wrote: Why do we need to root for other Pac teams?
1. National prestige for the conference
2. PAC splits tournament money 12 ways after expenses
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:

I root against ASU at all times. The rest of the Pac I root for.

The lack of a NC since 97 gets held up all the time as evidence the Pac sucks. That gets used to decrease the importance of our wins in the league. This has nothing to do with "brotherhood." The more highly regarded Oregon is, the more it helps us to beat them next year. I want them to be highly regarded and I want to beat them next year and get a major bump from it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Down goes UCONN. First loss since 11/17/14.
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:Down goes UCONN. First loss since 11/17/14.
That was a pretty tense game. UConn got a major help with the flagrant, and then MSU pulls the crazy upset. Wow.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Huge upset. Also apparently South Carolina owns the sport of basketball now

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Huge upset. Also apparently South Carolina owns the sport of basketball now
?? Miss State Bullies beat UCONN