Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Re: Sean Miller

Post by 97cats »

said it the second he was fired -- would be a massive home run
Last edited by 97cats on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Last edited by NYCat on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
I would definitely consider him. I don't know why you wouldn't.

Does he want it is a whole other question.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Only issue is he might be around for only a year or two then go on to be a HC again, and take a recruit or two with him. But hopefully he would not get a big enough job to make the highest of recruits want to join him.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Happening status: It
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

Would Basnight's head explode if this happened?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PHXCATS wrote:Only issue is he might be around for only a year or two then go on to be a HC again, and take a recruit or two with him. But hopefully he would not get a big enough job to make the highest of recruits want to join him.
Most of his big recruits lately have been one and dones and the odds of a guy like that leaving Arizona for a run of the mill D1 (dont see Romar being offered a top tier job) are probably slim. No concern to me. Would be a homerun hire
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm not concerned with Romar taking recruits with him, but kids decommitting because their recruiting assistant went elsewhere has happened in the past and that would be my concern. Would prefer to have him for two years that's for sure.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Romar would be the perfect influence on Miller in terms of getting him to loosen up the reins on offense. Not to mention his recruiting acumen. Plus if we ever need to run a kid off, we'd have his expertise on the matter. :D I would be ecstatic with the hire.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Romar would be an A++ hire. But I'd expect him to be hired as a head coach elsewhere first.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RaisingArizona wrote:Romar would be the perfect influence on Miller in terms of getting him to loosen up the reins on offense. Not to mention his recruiting acumen. Plus if we ever need to run a kid off, we'd have his expertise on the matter. :D I would be ecstatic with the hire.
Dude, I hope you're not serious about the offensive philosophy. Miller does not exactly need to change things up and defer to a guy who engineered a finish in the Pac basement despite having the consensus #1 pick running point.
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm not concerned with Romar taking recruits with him, but kids decommitting because their recruiting assistant went elsewhere has happened in the past and that would be my concern. Would prefer to have him for two years that's for sure.
when has that happened with arizona? we've had assistants get promoted to head coach at other (usually much smaller) schools and I don't remember it ever costing us any recruits.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jwsisliving wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I'm not concerned with Romar taking recruits with him, but kids decommitting because their recruiting assistant went elsewhere has happened in the past and that would be my concern. Would prefer to have him for two years that's for sure.
when has that happened with arizona? we've had assistants get promoted to head coach at other (usually much smaller) schools and I don't remember it ever costing us any recruits.
Emmanuel Negedu when Josh Pastner left. You could make the argument that Pastner leaving was more than enough motivation for Brandon Jennings to stop caring about his SAT as well.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Right where I want to be.
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Jwsisliving wrote:
Emmanuel Negedu when Josh Pastner left. You could make the argument that Pastner leaving was more than enough motivation for Brandon Jennings to stop caring about his SAT as well.
Yeah but you said in the other thread that Lute was not very involved in recruiting near the end, handing over much of the responsibilities to Pastner (who was a pretty good recruiter). Can you remember it happening before then? Or with any of Sean's assistants that have previously left?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jwsisliving wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Jwsisliving wrote:
Yeah but you said in the other thread that Lute was not very involved in recruiting near the end, handing over much of the responsibilities to Pastner (who was a pretty good recruiter). Can you remember it happening before then? Or with any of Sean's assistants that have previously left?
No and of course it didn't happen with any of Sean's assistants. Truthfully for it to occur it would have to be a Lute/Pastner situation or an assistant that was the player's AAU or HS coach or an assistant that had a reputation large enough. Romar would obviously only qualify for the last situation and obviously that's no guarantee. Overall I'm like you and am not too concerned, but it is a slight possibility, especially if we went from Pasternack as the lead recruiter to Romar and we lost both in back to back years.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

The reward , even short term, greatly outweighs the risk.

It's an easy hire if Romar is ok being associate HC instead of HC.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Jwsisliving wrote:
You can make any argument you'd like.... :lol:
gumby

Post by gumby »

I once played pickup with Romar in McKale on the old tartan floor. Be so bizarre to see him on the bench.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Harvey Specter wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Jwsisliving wrote:
Yeah. He wasn't passing that. Period.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Jwsisliving wrote:
Yeah. He wasn't passing that. Period.
Hey "he" passed it once before, because he really "tried." :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Instead of dropping this in the Lauri thread, I'll put it here.

For people criticizing Miller's coaching against Xavier:

We shot abysmally from 3 despite getting mostly open looks for good shooters. Bluiett had arguably the best half of his life.

Despite that, Miller's game plan was good enough that we were shaking that off and should have won the game. It was the collapse at the end that lost it. I understand criticizing for giving it away down the stretch. I do not understand criticizing the overall game plan. It overcame a lot and put us in position to win the game, which we squandered.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We had it in hand up 8 with a few minutes left. Just didn't close out. Missed some big shots, had some costly turnovers, and Xavier kept hitting. You need luck to keep advancing, and we were just a little short. Wasn't like we got blown out. We just lost a tight game to a solid, well coached team.

Miller will get there. No doubts.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Great to have you back beach.

I sincerely mean that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gonzaga fell apart last 2 minutes last night just as much as Arizona did v. X.

Happens to the best of coaches.

Zags had a very mature team though, same with UNC.

Once Miller starts keeping players I think all the pieces will fall together.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Instead of dropping this in the Lauri thread, I'll put it here.

We shot abysmally from 3 despite getting mostly open looks for good shooters. Bluiett had arguably the best half of his life.

Despite that, Miller's game plan was good enough that we were shaking that off and should have won the game. It was the collapse at the end that lost it. I understand criticizing for giving it away down the stretch. I do not understand criticizing the overall game plan. It overcame a lot and put us in position to win the game, which we squandered.
Or you can say that a better performance by Miller blows Xavier out of the water.

Yes some open looks were missed and Allen would have shut Bluiett down if he didnt have two early fouls, but Miller deserves a ton of blame for this performance and he says so as much when he hasnt in the past.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Gonzaga fell apart last 2 minutes last night just as much as Arizona did v. X.

Happens to the best of coaches.

Zags had a very mature team though, same with UNC.

Once Miller starts keeping players I think all the pieces will fall together.
Gonzaga never had a 8 point lead in the 2nd half

North Carolina is far better coached and has far far far better talent than Xavier
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Merkin wrote: Once Miller starts keeping players I think all the pieces will fall together.

Isn't Miller more like Cailpari, in the sense that he encourages players to go to the NBA?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Instead of dropping this in the Lauri thread, I'll put it here.

Or you can say that a better performance by Miller blows Xavier out of the water.

Yes some open looks were missed and Allen would have shut Bluiett down if he didnt have two early fouls, but Miller deserves a ton of blame for this performance and he says so as much when he hasnt in the past.
Could he have performed better? Yes. Does that mean he performed poorly? No.

I don't fault him for the overall game. The performance down the stretch, that is fair to assess blame for. With Blueitt, it didn't really matter if Kadeem was out there. Some of those shots in the first half were great D and a shot that just went in.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Merkin wrote: Once Miller starts keeping players I think all the pieces will fall together.
Isn't Miller more like Cailpari, in the sense that he encourages players to go to the NBA?
I think he encourages them to do what is best. Like with Lauri, he should have left and the only person who would have told him to stay would have been someone selfishly trying to benefit Arizona at Lauri's expense.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Think the Xavier game was the ultimate culmination of not having a capable SF on the roster. I know Smith was supposed to be that. And Ferguson or Jackson could've filled the roll. But it would've nice to have a low 4* on the roster as a backup in case Smith got injured again.

Could've used Emmanuel Akot this year, a versatile long wing who can defend. That type of player (rhj type) was probably more important. That and despite having two 7 footers and a 6'11 guy, having no rim protectors/shot blockers.

Xavier walked into the paint the whole game, it was maddening. Jordan bell completely blocked out Kansas in the paint, game changer - affected the shots from Mason/Graham.

Arizona likely loses to Gonzaga anyway. I know that now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Merkin wrote:Once Miller starts keeping players I think all the pieces will fall together.
Unfortunately this is what college basketball has become for the top level teams. Off season luck has become more important than anything else. You win the lottery when everyone comes back or you are back to reload/rebuild mode.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Looking at Carolina's rooster they have 9 JRs and SRs on their squad.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... r/_/id/153" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I think the magic is one one and done guy and you build the rest of low 4 star guys that develop like Gonzaga and Oregon and Carolina have done (know not all those have the one and dones)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:Looking at Carolina's rooster they have 9 JRs and SRs on their squad.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... r/_/id/153" target="_blank

Thought the Zags had more seniors

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... a-bulldogs" target="_blank

But only Karnowski and Mathews.

Had no idea Collins was a frosh. That man is skilled. What a difference with him on the court instead of Hodor.

When Collins fouled out I told my wife that game is over.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

PHXCATS wrote:I think the magic is one one and done guy and you build the rest of low 4 star guys that develop like Gonzaga and Oregon and Carolina have done (know not all those have the one and dones)
Somehow UNC is turning McD's All-Americans into guys with 4* mentalities.
Dave

Post by Dave »

NC with 9 Juniors and Seniors is like the good old days. I wonder if that just happened or if it is part of their recruiting philosophy. Gonzaga not far behind with eight.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Dave wrote:NC with 9 Juniors and Seniors is like the good old days. I wonder if that just happened or if it is part of their recruiting philosophy. Gonzaga not far behind with eight.
I said it in another thread, but if Justin Jackson went to Arizona he never would've stayed more than 2 years and I doubt it'd be more than one. It's a culture thing IMO. It's either that or Roy is just excellent at guilting these guys into returning.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:It's either that or Roy is just excellent at guilting these guys into returning.
The power of tears.
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Dave wrote:NC with 9 Juniors and Seniors is like the good old days. I wonder if that just happened or if it is part of their recruiting philosophy. Gonzaga not far behind with eight.
I said it in another thread, but if Justin Jackson went to Arizona he never would've stayed more than 2 years and I doubt it'd be more than one. It's a culture thing IMO. It's either that or Roy is just excellent at guilting these guys into returning.
Having fake classes helps too
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:It's either that or Roy is just excellent at guilting these guys into returning.
I wonder how often that really happens. I know on the football side, one huge (massive sized) returner early in Graham's tenure at ASU returned for his senior year against the advice of most and changed his body type and was awful his senior year, costing him millions. He returned because Graham basically blackmailed him with a dirty test...a good Christian man couldn't tell the NFL that this player was clean, couldn't lie. But if he got another year in him, maybe it could be forgotten about...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I've long wondered if part of Roy's secret is intentionally damaging his players' pro prospects to force them to stay. A guy like Tony Bradley this year is a physically dominant dude, but Roy had Maye playing over him for long stretches.

You never know how much is that the younger guy isn't ready, but I've seen that pattern often enough to wonder if Roy is very quietly applying the reins.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I've long wondered if part of Roy's secret is intentionally damaging his players' pro prospects to force them to stay. A guy like Tony Bradley this year is a physically dominant dude, but Roy had Maye playing over him for long stretches.

You never know how much is that the younger guy isn't ready, but I've seen that pattern often enough to wonder if Roy is very quietly applying the reins.
How the hell did he get Isaiah Hicks to stay 4 fricken years? Honest question. Comanche is concerned with PT fresh off his sophomore year as a 18 minute per gamer and Hicks, a much higher rated prospect than Comanche, averaged the same amount of minutes his junior year. Shit like that pisses me off so much.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Maybe it's the Dean Smith secret sauce. He held Jordan under 20 ppg. Roy is pulling a similar trick.

I was shocked at how good Jordan was on offense once he left.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Almost 48 hours since we offered Romar the job...whats the hold up?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Jefe wrote:Almost 48 hours since we offered Romar the job...whats the hold up?
4/13 - job must be posted for 10 days
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Oh sweet, I'll send a resume in. I only want $120K too. Total bargain
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Jefe wrote:Oh sweet, I'll send a resume in. I only want $120K too. Total bargain
Shay?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »