Cal recruiting

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Cal recruiting

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Man, CAL is literally stinking up the court vs CSU Bakersfield (never even heard of this school) in the NIT...Down 20 with 8 minutes to go. Rabb skipped the game (excuse is a dubious foot injury) and Bird is out too.

What a dumpster fire of an ending to the season.....lmao.....sorry, but don't like those Dudes....especially after dumping on CSM and the TO vs UCLA. Good fun reading their board now.

Ivan Rabb....should've come here my Man....smh
Bangkok Wildcat

And the funny thing is they felt they got snubbed by the NCAAs, lmao!!!
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

[quote="...CSU Bakersfield (never even heard of this school)....[/quote]

LOL. They were the highest ranking OOC team to visit McKale this season.
Bangkok Wildcat

KaibabKat wrote:[quote="...CSU Bakersfield (never even heard of this school)....
LOL. They were the highest ranking OOC team to visit McKale this season.[/quote]

Oh Man, you're right!!! My bad....forgot them.....geez, I'm getting old ha ha. Thanks KK.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Main Event wrote:
Not going to miss him. Nice to see he waived the white flag as he is tired of recruiting against us and the bruins
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Randy Bennett to Cal?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

He is horrible
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Not going to miss him. Nice to see he waived the white flag as he is tired of recruiting against us and the bruins
$3M per year, WTF!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Where are you seeing $3M?

http://www.scout.com/college/california ... s-released" target="_blank
Cal head basketball coach Cuonzo Martin's contract runs through 2019

BearTerritory has obtained the employment contract for California head men's basketball coach Cuonzo Martin. The contract, with a base salary of $250,000 per year and a variable talent fee, replaces the terms sheet agreed to on April 15, 2014, and runs through the end of the 2018-19 season. The original term sheet, it must be noted, contained a line saying that "The parties agree to work together in good faith to negotiate a mutually agreeable employment agreement within ninety (90) days." That was on April 14, 2014.

According to the finalized contract, signed on June 3, Martin received a $250,000 base salary, and a $1.29 million talent fee for the periods of April 15, 2014-April 14, 2015, April 15, 2015 through April 14, 2016, and April 15, 2016 through June 14, 2016. From June 15, 2016, through April 14, 2017, Martin will receive a talent fee of $1.65 million. From April 15, 2017 to April 14, 2018, and April 15, 2018 to April 14, 2019, Martin will receive an annual talent fee of $1.39 million.

On Martin's original term sheet signed with Sandy Barbour, his talent fee was $1.54m each year of the contract, with a base of $250,000. Martin receives a bonus of $15,000 if his teams win the Pac-12 conference in the regular season, win the Pac-12 Tournament, or are selected to the NCAA Tournament. If Martin's teams win 20 games in a season, he gets $10,000. Martin receives a bonus of $20,000 if his team advances to the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament, $25,000 for the Sweet Sixteen, and $25,000 for the Elite Eight. If Martin reaches the Final Four, he receives $40,000. Martin would also receive $40,000 for winning the NCAA title. If selected as the Pac-12 Coach of the Year, Martin would receive a bonus of $20,000. If he receives National Coach of the Year, he gets $25,000.

Martin is scheduled to receive a $508,000 signing bonus within 30 days after the contract is executed (June 3). Martin also received a retention bonus payment of $1.54 million for coaching through the 2014-15 season, with $640,000 paid on April 16, 2015, $450,000 on April 16, 2016, and $450,000 on April 16, 2017. Even if Martin and the University part ways, that obligation would remain.

If Martin's team achieves a GPA of 2.70 or higher, for both fall and spring terms, he will receive a bonus of $20,000 at the end of the season. If his teams achieve a 2.85 team GPA, he gets $40,000. If his team in a given year surpasses the 3.00 GPA mark, he receives $50,000. Only the highest of those bonuses is to be paid if the team achieves the enumerated goal (he doesn't receive $110,000 if the team has a GPA over 3.00).

Martin also receives a membership at the Claremont Country Club.

Also included in the finalized contract is a buy-out clause, which is structured the same way as in the original term sheet.

In the event that the University fires Martin without cause, the University is scheduled to pay $2.75 million to Martin if he is fired before April 14, 2017, $2 million if between April 15, 2017 and April 14, 2018, and $1 million if betwen April 15, 2018 and April 14, 2019. However, Martin, if fired, must make "reasonable efforts" to obtain employment as a Division I head coach, should he be terminated without cause. His compensation from that new job would mitigate the payments to be made by the University in that circumstance (if he would be paid $1 million by his new employer, the payment by the University would go down by $1 million), and that would extend to the natural end date of the contract.

If Martin himself leaves prior to April 14, 2017, he will pay $1.1 million to the University. If he leaves between April 15, 2017 and April 14, 2018, he pays the University $1 million. If he leaves between April 15, 2018 and April 14, 2019, he would owe the University $750,000.

The University paid Martin's buyout to Tennessee in 2014, at $1.3m.
He's getting $450K in a month but owes Cal $1.1mil? Ouch
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Im shocked, never saw this coming.....oh wait everyone did. Made a lot of comments about it during their game versus Oregon. Went over a few people's heads I think.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

No more Oakland Soldiers issues now?

I wonder who they go after
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

7 years at $3 mill per

Holy shit
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:Where are you seeing $3M?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Damn and he'll struggle to go .500 next season.

That SEC money is insane
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

He couldn't win with top recruits and you are going to pay him 3m a year? How insanely stupid
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Cuonzo the (smart) mercenary strikes!! :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Not going to miss him.
You can't. We play Mizzou next year.
NYCat wrote:Randy Bennett to Cal?
They'll low ball him and he should absolutely turn it down.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

at home at least and they are still a terrible team. but yeah...no surprises here. not sure what he has done to get another new job at more than Miller makes.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Missouri is desperate to be relevant at something and they keep throwing good money after bad. They deserve each other.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I dont know if the recruiting issues would be enough for Cal to overlook
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chicat wrote:
They'll low ball him and he should absolutely turn it down.
Sh#t. On a side note if they are going to pay CM 3M a year then CSM deserves 6M.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
I don't believe we do. The home and home has been completed.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I don't believe we do. The home and home has been completed.
Yeah, you're right. Thought we were at Columbia next year.
az91

Post by az91 »

I saw a news story that with Romar out, it looks like Cuonzo will hire Michael Porter Sr. and get Michael Porter Jr. to enroll at Mizzou. Nice pick up :D.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

az91 wrote:I saw a news story that with Romar out, it looks like Cuonzo will hire Michael Porter Sr. and get Michael Porter Jr. to enroll at Mizzou. Nice pick up :D.
Maybe. That's a team with very little talent. Not sure Porter wants to be Fultz.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

What brought about the demise of Quin Snyder at Missouri again? Boy does that look like a blunder with him doing so well with the Jazz.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:What brought about the demise of Quin Snyder at Missouri again? Boy does that look like a blunder with him doing so well with the Jazz.
Short history of NCAA violations and issues. Leaves out the cocaine and coed rumors, I think.

http://mizzoufans.blogspot.com/2006/02/ ... r.html?m=1" target="_blank
Bangkok Wildcat

I can't believe the money Missouri is throwing at Cuonzo....seriously, he hasn't done anything to warrant this IMO.... Except, the corrupt hiring of Michael Porter Sr. Seriously NCAA??? We get slammed for that silly booster letter infraction.....UNC is getting away with murder and all these hiring of recruit's dads is ok?

This is messed up...
Last edited by Bangkok Wildcat on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

This article is pretty telling about Cuonzo...

When asked which foot Rabb had injured his reply was "I don't know probably both of them"...then he benches his remaining best shooter for the remainder of the second half it is very obvious Martin WANTED to lose to Bakersfield...he's a dick no one should toss the guys he coached all year under the bus just because he wants to leave early...dick move from a dick guy, glad he's gone form the Pac 12 we deserve better...hell even Cal deserves better than Cuonzo "steal a recruit and run" Martin...

http://www.dailycal.org/2017/03/16/real-disrespect/" target="_blank
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Cuonzo is the pastor of the church in the hood that lives in a mansion and drives a a mercedes or three.

And he is possibly the most overrated / underachieving coach in Pac 12 history.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thats the funny thing, how did he get so overrated? He was trash at Tenn and only made tourney or two there but didn't get into the second weekend.
Bangkok Wildcat

CatFanOneMil wrote:This article is pretty telling about Cuonzo...

When asked which foot Rabb had injured his reply was "I don't know probably both of them"...then he benches his remaining best shooter for the remainder of the second half it is very obvious Martin WANTED to lose to Bakersfield...he's a dick no one should toss the guys he coached all year under the bus just because he wants to leave early...dick move from a dick guy, glad he's gone form the Pac 12 we deserve better...hell even Cal deserves better than Cuonzo "steal a recruit and run" Martin...

http://www.dailycal.org/2017/03/16/real-disrespect/" target="_blank
Thanks for posting this CatFan....wow, what a complete tool....if I didn't detest CAL so much, I'd feel sorry for them.....if you ever do feel sorry for them, take a look at their message boards and see the trash that most of them talk about us and 'donut boy' CSM.....screw them, karma is a bitch.

Having said this, Missouri is also a dump of a school and other than buying the #1 recruit (how does the NCAA allow this???) I will bet he doesn't do anything spectacular there.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

splitsecond wrote:Cuonzo is the pastor of the church in the hood that lives in a mansion and drives a a mercedes or three.

And he is possibly the most overrated / underachieving coach in Pac 12 history.
Hat tip for that.

Cuonzo is such a fuckin scumbag. And that contract is hilarious. I thought the NCAA was cracking down on the type of shit that got him Porter Jr?
Bangkok Wildcat

Anyone else enjoying the train wreck at Cal? Lmao.....couldn't happen to a better dbag fan base.

Moore transferred to Kansas 'because of his ailing Father in Chicago'....ummmm, yeah right.... :roll:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Anyone else enjoying the train wreck at Cal? Lmao.....couldn't happen to a better dbag fan base.

Moore transferred to Kansas 'because of his ailing Father in Chicago'....ummmm, yeah right.... :roll:
They brought it on themselves. They hired a mercenary, then got mercenaried.
Bangkok Wildcat

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Anyone else enjoying the train wreck at Cal? Lmao.....couldn't happen to a better dbag fan base.

They brought it on themselves. They hired a mercenary, then got mercenaried.
Their program is now a joke and am thoroughly enjoying it even though they will drag down our RPI. Never believed the crap Cuonzo was selling and it's too bad he sold Rabb on his BS. Will be fun to watch him fail yet again at Mizzou.

Cal fans love to look down on us with contempt so watching their program in flames is 'karma in full effect' lmao.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Rabb wanted to stay home. It wasn't much more than that.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He wanted to stay home so bad he put his potential career in jeopardy.

We all make life choices. Lots of those happen in our twenties.

He'll make a good rec league coach someday in Alameda someday.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Cal is going to be dreadful next season. And it's hard to imagine UW being any worse than this season, but with Fultz gone and the cupboard pretty bare they'll be even worse. Wazzu loses a ton of their mediocre talent. Oregon State might be slightly improved. So yeah, the Pac 12 is regressing to a very mediocre conference next year. Stanford should be better and ASU might improve based solely on the weakness of the rest of the conference. Oregon will slide back significantly. Utah & Colorado both lose experienced talent. USC, Arizona & UCLA will be the class of the conference.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

USC might be the main comp next year.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://deadspin.com/the-desperate-futur ... 944572/amp" target="_blank

The Desperate Future Of Cal Athletics Is Here
The athletics program at the University of California, Berkeley, in, say, 2037 will barely resemble what you see today. And the hammer is already starting to fall.

Cal owes its dire fortunes to a disastrous stadium-remodeling boondoggle, which the athletic department will be paying for until 2113. Right now, they owe $18 million per year, and that’s only on the interest payments. Once they start paying off the principal, that number will spike to $26 million annually and keep rising for a while. Cal is a big-time athletics program, with a bunch of national championships and a cadre of prominent alumni in the NFL, NBA, and Olympic sports, but it’s not so big that it can withstand this financial shitstorm without taking on water. It was $22 million in the red last year, which was the biggest loss in the nation, and that’s not going to improve, especially as both the football and men’s basketball teams (the only revenue-generating sports) look like they’ll be bad this year.

The chancellor created a task force in September 2016 to help chart a course through the forthcoming budgetary crisis, and that committee issued bleak findings in a June assessment, writing, “Given its magnitude, it is virtually certain that interest expense will exceed IA’s operating income for the foreseeable future no matter what actions are taken regarding program scope in IA.”

They found that cutting sports would save Cal money in the immediate term, but could potentially cost the school a good chunk of its donor base. They warned of looming austerity, but weren’t quite ready to identify specific measures.

New chancellor Carol Christ has come in guns blazing, promising a balanced budget by 2020 (the university is $110 million in debt) and a stabilization of the “corrosive” athletic department. Fittingly, Cal recently announced its new budget for the 2018 fiscal year, and it is laden with cuts across the board. Those reductions include, naturally, cuts to athletics, designed to reduce debt by $4.65 million. Part of that plan could be to start selling beer at games. The rest isn’t as fun. Freshmen will no longer get free season tickets to football games. Ominously, the plan identified potential long-term savings through “reductions in program scope” of up to $8 million per year, which seems like a sure sign that entire sports will be cut.

Men’s soccer and men’s track and field might be among the first teams to go. In 2010, Cal moved to cut five teams, including their legendary rugby squad, but a last-gasp philanthropy boost saved them. This time around, Cal floated converting Edwards Stadium into more housing, and relocating the soccer and track teams...somewhere else. Cal’s campus is in a dense urban environment and there’s not exactly a bounty of available space. Roster size reductions are also on the table, since cutting sports outright would threaten the donor base. There are no easy answers.

But the worry isn’t merely that Cal will lose a team or two and go forward with, say, 27 teams instead of the 30 it has now. The looming debt is bigger than that and the challenges Cal faces are far more existential. Even with the sponsorship deals Cal has recently signed, even if they sell tens of thousands of beers a game, even if they build housing on the Edwards Stadium site, Cal still won’t be in a comfortable position for the increasing debts it’ll owe when the principal payment on the stadium kicks in. This is just the start of the hard decisions.

And the person making those will be someone other than Cal AD Mike Williams, who announced this week that he’ll be stepping down within the year. Williams helped seal a new apparel deal with Under Armour, made a football head coaching hire that fans seem excited about (Justin Wilcox), and nudged up Cal football’s previously horrid graduation rates. He did a good enough job to keep the gig if he wanted it, but even then, why would anyone want the Cal AD job? Cal needs to increase attendance for its cash cows and find a way to navigate a rapidly steepening financial cliff, so the AD’s job is now to try and drum up enthusiasm while simultaneously figuring out which sports will be sniped off. It’s a no-win situation, and the grimmest part is, the biggest losses are yet to come.
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Holy hell they will be paying on the stadium 'till 2113! That's insane.
Bangkok Wildcat

Karma?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Karma?
You spelled California wrong.
Bangkok Wildcat

rgdeuce wrote:
I will take 'WHACKOS' for $110 million in debt Alex......What is "People's Republic of CALIFORNIA?" ;-).
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
I will take 'WHACKOS' for $110 million in debt Alex......What is "People's Republic of CALIFORNIA?" ;-).
What does the richest, most economically successful, open and free state in the US have to do with Cal not being able to balance it's budget?

Because the "people's republic of California" is doing pretty damn well.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ASUHATER! wrote:What does the richest, most economically successful, open and free state in the US have to do with Cal not being able to balance it's budget?
Because the "people's republic of California" is doing pretty damn well.
Quit ruining sports forum threads with your political nonsense