Lonzo Ball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Lonzo Ball

Post by rgdeuce »

MrBug708 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:You're reaching, even for a troll.
Way to own it
We already own the conference. Cant be too greedy
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:Lonzo didn't register either and he was a top 5 prospect. They play for his dad's AAU team, they aren't worried about being the top ranked kid, exposure in all star games, or getting as many offers as possible.
Good points. The Balls are a humble, down-to-earth bunch. Never craving the spotlight, rarely concerned about public perception.

Nice to see UCLA making inroads with those 2nd and 3rd tier recruits, while OR has somehow moved past them as the Pac's only other current elite program.

UCLA has finished behind AZ in the standings 7 times in the last decade, by the way. When should we expect Alford to turn this trend around?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Lonzo didn't register either and he was a top 5 prospect. They play for his dad's AAU team, they aren't worried about being the top ranked kid, exposure in all star games, or getting as many offers as possible.
Good points. The Balls are a humble, down-to-earth bunch. Never craving the spotlight, rarely concerned about public perception.

Nice to see UCLA making inroads with those 2nd and 3rd tier recruits, while OR has somehow moved past them as the Pac's only other current elite program.

UCLA has finished behind AZ in the standings 7 times in the last decade, by the way. When should we expect Alford to turn this trend around?
Isn't this why you got banned? Because you kept proclaim Arizona couldn't get it done and make a Final Four and that UCLA was going to own the conference?
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Isn't this why you got banned? Because you kept proclaim Arizona couldn't get it done and make a Final Four and that UCLA was going to own the conference?
Um, not to defend Bug, but IIRC, he got banned for welching on a bet, not for having a stupid cock-a-Mamie opinion.

And anyway, why is this thread so GD long and ongoing? Isn't there something better than overrated BB players from some Podunk LA tertiary school to talk about during the offseason?

Like reviving the See-thru Dress thread?

Or which is better - the Original Z-Man BBQ sandwich from Kansas City or the copy cat Z-Man BBQ sandwich from Melbourne?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

RichardCranium wrote:
Um, not to defend Bug, but IIRC, he got banned for welching on a bet, not for having a stupid cock-a-Mamie opinion.

And anyway, why is this thread so GD long and ongoing? Isn't there something better than overrated BB players from some Podunk LA tertiary school to talk about during the offseason?

Like reviving the See-thru Dress thread?

Or which is better - the Original Z-Man BBQ sandwich from Kansas City or the copy cat Z-Man BBQ sandwich from Melbourne?
No kidding Cranium.....12 pages devoted to Lonzo's Balls....ughhhh. Time to just kill this thread or move it under UCLA.

Also, you're right in that BC got banned for welching on a bet that we had no chance of winning the game at UCLA.....that and his negativity about the team.......he seems to have improved with the negativity issue.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Yup. A bet because he didn't think Arizona can get it done. He usually sours on Arizona every couple of years and turns into a UCLA fan. This year saw him get called a welcher for not believing in Zona
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Um, not to defend Bug,...
Opps, yeah, I meant BC97, not Bug. Sorry about that.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I knew what you meant :)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bangkok Wildcat

MrBug708 wrote:For Bangkok

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thepla ... e-gym/amp/" target="_blank
Um, no thanks Bug :-)......Would rather read something more interesting like the US Tax Code vs a love letter between the Balls. I only replied to agree with Cranium on how boring this thread is.....Bug, please keep your Balls to yourself ;-)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The juicy nugget is that it is looking kinda real that the Lakers aren't going to take Ball.

I was just giving you insight on how Lonzo is, since you were convinced he's a certain way :)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

After getting blownout by 50 last game, Melo's team went to double OT against the Compton Magic before falling
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Lonzo's shot.. needs fixing?

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... nt-broken/" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Lonzo's shot.. needs fixing?

His form is ugly, but it's not changing. You hope he can keep making it, that's all.

Heck, Reggie Miller's off hand slapped his shooting hand after release. It doesn't have to be pretty. It has to go in. It went in last year. He just needs to keep that up.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

No sh*t, Lavar. Only one of the three is worth a scholarship to a D-1 program.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote:No sh*t, Lavar. Only one of the three is worth a scholarship to a D-1 program.
Two of the three are 5 stars, but only one of the three deserves a scholarship offer?

Wait, you are talking about the star power of a UCLA offer. You know where a kid not deserving of any offers, gets offered by UCLA, and jumps to a 5 star? But that only applies to one of them, not both? There is the beachcat UCLA homer we all know and love
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:No sh*t, Lavar. Only one of the three is worth a scholarship to a D-1 program.
Two of the three are 5 stars, but only one of the three deserves a scholarship offer?

Wait, you are talking about the star power of a UCLA offer. You know where a kid not deserving of any offers, gets offered by UCLA, and jumps to a 5 star? But that only applies to one of them, not both? There is the beachcat UCLA homer we all know and love
Well, we all sort of knew that Lonzo is way better at basketball and LiAngelo is better looking by default.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

True -I've just never encountered a 5 star kid who isn't deserving of at least ONE "Div 1" offer. Surely ASU would gladly him if UCLA didn't already have his commitment
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:True -I've just never encountered a 5 star kid who isn't deserving of at least ONE "Div 1" offer. Surely ASU would gladly him if UCLA didn't already have his commitment
Look, I just don't find Lonzo very attractive.

I don't know why you want to make this about scholarship offers and recruiting ranks. I'm just trying to discuss the attractiveness of the Ball family.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lonzo is the only 5-star in that family. But it's cute that Bruin fans think otherwise. So far, the Ball era is off to a fine beginning at UCLA. Making history, one Ball brother at a time.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Thankfully the internet exists to a)Prove you wrong again and b)keep track of the nonsense you say
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
HiCat wrote:Lonzo's shot.. needs fixing?

His form is ugly, but it's not changing. You hope he can keep making it, that's all.

Heck, Reggie Miller's off hand slapped his shooting hand after release. It doesn't have to be pretty. It has to go in. It went in last year. He just needs to keep that up.
Do you think they are going to move his gather/initial motion on jumpers a little bit more to the right? I have no issues w his form outside of that, and only because it limits him shooting off the dribble to one side.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:Thankfully the internet exists to a)Prove you wrong again and b)keep track of the nonsense you say
No Ball will (a) win a Pac title or (b) do anything even slightly significant while at UCLA.

Thankfully the Balls exist to keep Bruin fans distracted from the reality of where their program is at.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I would have the ultimate respect for Lavar if he had this door knocker on his front door.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Thankfully the internet exists to a)Prove you wrong again and b)keep track of the nonsense you say
No Ball will (a) win a Pac title or (b) do anything even slightly significant while at UCLA.

Thankfully the Balls exist to keep Bruin fans distracted from the reality of where their program is at.
I'm stunned you are standing by what you originally claimed. Who could have seem that coming?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I don't want my Lakers to take Lonzo so I don't have to hear his dad talk shit. This is like a bad dream.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:I don't want my Lakers to take Lonzo so I don't have to hear his dad talk shit. This is like a bad dream.
Lonzo can play and Lavar is the real problem.

I'd be more worried that the D'lo cap dump doesn't net PG or LeBron/Westbrook.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

youre getting a great point guard, you cant be complaining about Dad.

Lonzo Ball is one of only a couple UCLA guys I didnt loathe. Thats not going to last that long now that hes a laker
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

U just have to laugh when you can get a TJ Leaf at 18.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

rgdeuce wrote:youre getting a great point guard, you cant be complaining about Dad.

Lonzo Ball is one of only a couple UCLA guys I didnt loathe. Thats not going to last that long now that hes a laker
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1971 ... l-no-lavar
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Merkin wrote:
Lavar is the Uncle Rico of basketball.

Didnt he say he could take Jordan 1 on 1?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I wonder if LaMelo's WWE appearance might be a "peace out scholi" situation.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Don't see how it would - see Russell Wilson signing a professional baseball contract and playing two seasons before returning to play football at Wisconsin.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Don't see how it would - see Russell Wilson signing a professional baseball contract and playing two seasons before returning to play football at Wisconsin.
Plus, I'm sure the WWE directed any money to Lavar. It's the same tightrope of literally building a Brand on the back of his kids that he's been walking for a while now.

If the NCAA was ok with him pimping BBB merchandise while Lonzo and LiAngelo were/are in college, Lavar getting money from the WWE is just more of the same.

It circles back to my broken record rant about how illogical NCAA rules are. Lonzo couldn't profit off his likeness. Lavar is literally only famous because of Lonzo, and he can try to conver that into $ all day long and somehow that is ok.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

rgdeuce wrote:Don't see how it would - see Russell Wilson signing a professional baseball contract and playing two seasons before returning to play football at Wisconsin.

I think he's referring to the N-Bombs dropped on national TV.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

One of the most commonly overheard words in my high school locker room during basketball season.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

100% agreed. And he's not going to lose his ship over it, but it's a bad look on national tv. Vince wasn't happy when his new image WWE took a hit lol.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

rgdeuce wrote:One of the most commonly overheard words in my high school locker room during basketball season.
When people have to start releasing statements about what you said, that's not a good spot to put yourself in.

Also if, for example, there might be a party somewhere looking to cut their ties to a certain family, this might give them a convenient excuse to do so. "The University says...not representative of UCLA values...my hands are tied..." etc etc.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

1 for 11 from 3 and 2 for 15 overall. Ouch.

If LaVar hadn't hyped him so much, the ugliness in his first game wluldn't seem like much. It feels like a lot of pressure for summer league.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

oh man he is gonna be so better then seth curry. :lol:
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Definitely was pressing too hard to impress, which is probably to back up his dad. He needs to lay some of those balls up and not dish it out so much. Who would have thought UCLA would have had better shooters than this summer league team. Did look like Ingram enjoyed playing with him
Bangkok Wildcat

CalStateTempe wrote:oh man he is gonna be so better then seth curry. :lol:
Don't forget that he's already 'sewn up Rookie of the Year' and guaranteed to bring the Lakers back to the playoffs this season!!! Smh and lol.

I really hope that DeAaron Fox outshines him and makes the Lakers regret passing on him....saw Fox interviewed before the Draft and after working out for the Lakers....seems like a good kid.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Didn't the bRuins go to Europe or somewhere last summer and Ball stunk it up? I would not take too much from this game.

Only thing I saw of concern in the little bit I watched was that I think he may have trouble getting and making good shots from distance in late shot clock situations.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?