Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Jefe »

I forget how much time was left but the camera was zoomed in on Coach and he called out a play named "Husky." He said it twice and Barcello made a no look pass to Ira who got fouled trying to posterize his defender. Im curious what Husky actually is now

In other news, Coach turned 49 today! 11/17/68
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I am lovIng the miller romer synergy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:I forget how much time was left but the camera was zoomed in on Coach and he called out a play named "Husky." He said it twice and Barcello made a no look pass to Ira who got fouled trying to posterize his defender. Im curious what Husky actually is now

Was it a baseline out of bounds play? We've run that for a while. I've seen us target Lee and it's the same one we used to use for Ashley and the one AG got the huge dunk v Colorado on.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:I forget how much time was left but the camera was zoomed in on Coach and he called out a play named "Husky." He said it twice and Barcello made a no look pass to Ira who got fouled trying to posterize his defender. Im curious what Husky actually is now

Was it a baseline out of bounds play? We've run that for a while. I've seen us target Lee and it's the same one we used to use for Ashley and the one AG got the huge dunk v Colorado on.
Nah, a different play. We have definitely run the play you mentioned for Ira (he laid it in instead if dunking it). The one Jefe is talking about was in the run of action and is the play where the announced said Ira was trying to be like Blake Griffen from the clippers (of course he meant DeAndre Jordan)
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller optimistic about recruiting despite ongoing FBI investigation

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Nov 17, 2017 Updated

Even with a five-man recruiting class, Arizona could only have 10-12 players on scholarship next season. That could work out just as well if UA is handed or self-imposes scholarship reductions as a result of the investigations. Regardless, the Wildcats may only find a few players in the spring that would fit on their level — and decide to keep scholarships open for 2019, when their ability to recruit could be better.

“I think (Miller) still has to be patient,” Gershon said. “And if his name is cleared, Arizona is cleared and there’s nothing serious that comes of all this, he can probably jump back in in 2019 and go after elite prospects again. So why would you want to take up spots that could be used in 2019?”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... b7259.html" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
No Barcello was bringing the ball down the court and Miller called "Husky". The pass to Lee was not the intended play. He was just wide open and almost made a huge dunk. I rewatched the game and there was 14:30 left in the 2H.
dcZONAfan wrote:The one Jefe is talking about was in the run of action and is the play where the announced said Ira was trying to be like Blake Griffen from the clippers (of course he meant DeAndre Jordan)
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

SEEM needs to change something up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

gumby

Post by gumby »

Too much T&A. Gotta put some trust in the rest of your squad.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

This was a head scratcher.

#1 and #2 here for sure too.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Just a mess. Woefully unprepared. Woefully lacking in toughness and fundamentals.
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Our team does practice, right? What happens at practice?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Guy wants Ayton, Pinder and Ristic together.....
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Anyone else see Miller lose it when PJC turns it over with like a 1:30 left? He threw a card into the crowd almost hitting a young UA fan (I believe). Coach showing frustration is good IMO, but throwing something angrily into the stands is a line I don’t want to see crossed.

TBH, one of the more disappointing things for me.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I don't know what Miller is supposed to do when his two most experienced players (Trier/PJC) are turning the ball over when the team is down and less than 2 minutes to play...

Freshmen you expect rookie mistakes, you DO NOT EXPECT a Senior point guard to be fucking turning the ball over then and playing stupid.

I have absolutely no problem with the freshmen...they are expected to make mistakes and learn...Ayton played his heart out and pushed himself...the refs were pretty inconsistent and seemed to have control issues with the clock, so there was never any certainty they were watching the same game we were since they needed to monitor the clock as well as the players...

And for the record...this is probably the WORST FUCKING VENUE I HAVE EVER SEEN COMBINED WITH THE WORST POSSIBLE ANNOUNCERS/COLOR/CAMERA SHOTS i HAVE EVER SEEN COMBINED WITH THE WORST POSSIBLE STREAMING/EXPOSURE I HAVE EVER SEEN...

The fact that ever play had to be stopped in order to wipe up the fucking floor was unbearable...

ESPN needs to turn in it's broadcast license and fucking retire.

I would have chosen the Pac 12 over this fiasco...

I hope Miller, or the AD or whoever makes these kind of decisions thinks long and hard about it before next year, we would have been better off sending the kids home for Thanksgiving and playing one more cupcake, it certainly would not have hurt our RPI as much as this tournament did.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

It's his responsibility. These are the guys he brought in and this is where he's led them. I don't get it, I mean really don't get it, but I know the buck stops with him.

Love Miller. Big fan. But under pressure it seems like he drills so deep into himself and "what we do" that his intensity becomes wildly detrimental. I thought Romar would fix it. I don't know what is happening.

No one played defense last game so we decided tonight not to play offense either? The entire bench looks fucking frightened? What the fuck is going on?

Randolph and Barcello - two of the best scorers in the 2017 class - 6 FGAs, 0 pts. What's going on?

This is the first time that my confidence in Miller has been shaken.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

The scariest part of the FBI situation is this (assuming innocence). It's a nagging thought in the subconcious that changes how you coach, respond, prepare, etc. Not obvious enough to call out by name, but definitely at play which becomes obvious by the results. Worse, it feeds on itself, the more uncertainty and doubt, the more uncertainty and doubt. So on and so forth. It stops soon or not soon enough.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

YoDeFoe wrote:It's his responsibility. These are the guys he brought in and this is where he's led them. I don't get it, I mean really don't get it, but I know the buck stops with him.

Love Miller. Big fan. But under pressure it seems like he drills so deep into himself and "what we do" that his intensity becomes wildly detrimental. I thought Romar would fix it. I don't know what is happening.

No one played defense last game so we decided tonight not to play offense either? The entire bench looks fucking frightened? What the fuck is going on?

Randolph and Barcello - two of the best scorers in the 2017 class - 6 FGAs, 0 pts. What's going on?

^^^ All of this
prh

Post by prh »

Yikes can we officially ignore Zona Zealots now? I've held that they just aren't very smart but that tweet should make it painfully obvious.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

YoDeFoe wrote:It's his responsibility. These are the guys he brought in and this is where he's led them. I don't get it, I mean really don't get it, but I know the buck stops with him.

miller's team have almost always come out really tight, followed by slow starts
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

miller teams are always tight, that's why they never win when the pressures on in the NCAAs

i think i've seen two total smiles in Atlantis, one from PjC and one from Lee. our style of play doesn't lend itself to fun, boring ass half court grind no transition or fast breaks ever
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We're struggling. This is where Miller has to earn the money by steering us through the issues.

It would be nice if seniors stepped up, but neither PJC or Dusan is that guy. Parker is a senior pg, which you expect to be a position of strong leadership. We needed him to be big last night and he gives us 5 points, 3 assists and big turnovers. ****.

Trier is our strongest leader and we need him and Rawle when Rawle is back. We're in a bad place, but it isn't over. Miller's ability to lead this team through adversity is going to determine where things go.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Seriously fighting the urge to start a "Fire CSM" thread. I decided not to because I don't believe that. I would be doing it just to be a dick.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

At what point does SM end up on the hot seat in the opinion of UA fans? Is he getting a pass because of his recruiting? If AZ doesn't make the FF this year with one of the deepest teams in college basketball this year does he get a pass because UA has no point guard? Just curious.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UALoco wrote:Seriously fighting the urge to start a "Fire CSM" thread. I decided not to because I don't believe that. I would be doing it just to be a dick.
You just gave Rise and Fire an idea.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:At what point does SM end up on the hot seat in the opinion of UA fans? Is he getting a pass because of his recruiting? If AZ doesn't make the FF this year with one of the deepest teams in college basketball this year does he get a pass because UA has no point guard? Just curious.
A Kansas fan, moreso than most fans, should know that you don't put a coach on the hot seat because his regular season dominance doesn't translate into the postseason success you think it would.

This is like if you guys started wondering if you should change Self out for Shaka. You're not on the hot seat when you consistently produce top ten teams that win the conference because 99% of the potential replacements are steps down.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Note to Yo de Foe: Ira Lee and Pinder don't look frightened to me. Mistake prone, yes, but definitely willing to enter the fray.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think it’s a legitimate question to ask what outcome, or series of outcomes, would get Miller on the hot seat.

Obviously, if there are major NCAA violations that implicate him, he could be gone.

Beyond that, he’s maintaining the confidence of fans and the university by recruiting well and winning league titles. He’s also gotten to multiple E8s. The guy has a good track record; it’s undeniable. But he has flaws/shortcomings as a coach, just like everyone else. It becomes a question of whether Miller’s unique flaws/shortcomings have started to wear on everyone. A change of direction can be good for all parties. I don’t think we’re quite at that point, but a poor Pac season and an early NCAA exit would strain patience. Think of all the time and resources that went in to building this particular roster. If it doesn’t produce a Pac title and/or a Final Four, do we just shrug it off and move forward? Like we’ve always done with Miller, or do we have a harder conversation about whether he’s still right for this program?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:I think it’s a legitimate question to ask what outcome, or series of outcomes, would get Miller on the hot seat.

Obviously, if there are major NCAA violations that implicate him, he could be gone.

Beyond that, he’s maintaining the confidence of fans and the university by recruiting well and winning league titles. He’s also gotten to multiple E8s. The guy has a good track record; it’s undeniable. But he has flaws/shortcomings as a coach, just like everyone else. It becomes a question of whether Miller’s unique flaws/shortcomings have started to wear on everyone. A change of direction can be good for all parties. I don’t think we’re quite at that point, but a poor Pac season and an early NCAA exit would strain patience. Think of all the time and resources that went in to building this particular roster. If it doesn’t produce a Pac title and/or a Final Four, do we just shrug it off and move forward? Like we’ve always done with Miller, or do we have a harder conversation about whether he’s still right for this program?
Just from a performance standpoint, I can't understand why anyone would consider moving on from Miller without multiple non-NCAA seasons. We are far from that.

It's like asking what it would take for Zaga to ditch Few.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I don't want Miller gone, but I sure would like to see some "growth".

Offense is so stagnant in half court. It seems like they don't go full speed.
When the ball moves around perimeter it seems like there is no purpose to it.
Defense isn't forced to move out of position.
Rarely does anyone slash into free throw line.
And when trier gets it, everyone else just watches.

Also, when miller decided to press last night. Most of the guys were not prepared and started running back on D.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Postmaster wrote:Also, when miller decided to press last night. Most of the guys were not prepared and started running back on D.
Which gives the impression this wasn’t really practiced in a meaningful way?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Also, when miller decided to press last night. Most of the guys were not prepared and started running back on D.
Either that or
A) the players don't get it
B) the players can't perform what is asked of them

Any way you slice it it is bad and falls on Miller
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Either that or
A) the players don't get it
B) the players can't perform what is asked of them

Any way you slice it it is bad and falls on Miller
Yeah. I suppose all we can do is see how the team responds today, and in the coming weeks. Plenty of chances for redemption, even though we’ve certainly jeopardized our prospects for a high seed this week. It’s not hard to imagine a scenario where the Bahamas games become a minor blemish on an otherwise outstanding season.

I really wanna see Sean turn things around. I’ve always liked him and think he deserves all the love he gets on here. I do think, though, that the “time for a change?” conversation is also likely to crop up if this season does not go well. Expectations are high at AZ, and it’s been too long since our last FF trip. I hope we get there with Sean.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Wow! People are bashing the program so soon go ahead jump off don t come back when they finish with 5 or less losses. Missing a major piece in alkins and playing in a shitty gym with backlights. This team will dominate and will be coaches best job since he's been in Tucson. Relax people!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UALoco wrote:Seriously fighting the urge to start a "Fire CSM" thread. I decided not to because I don't believe that. I would be doing it just to be a dick.
You won’t find a bigger Miller fan & supporter than me, but business is business.

If we win 33% of our conference games this year & then 11% next, to coincide with consecutive recruiting classes in the bottom 1/4 of the conference... you will not need to start the thread. I will.

And in 2019-20, if anyone suggests 0.500 and a CBIT berth should be enough for him to keep his job - because it will be great improvement over 2-16 in the previous year - I will tell them they are full of shit.

Deal?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Remember what Miller inherited and the leap he took basically sight unseen?

We were DONE as a program. DONE!

Lol you cowards here throwing daggers after 2 losses. Ef u.
Last edited by Bosy Billups on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

This is a perfect Sean team they need coaches up these guys learn nothing in aau ball on the D end of the game. Team will be dynamite
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Bosy Billups wrote:Remember what Miller inherited and the leap he took basically sight unseen?

Yeah a sweet 16.

Daggers are pointing it the obvious that adjustments need to be made?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It is insane how much the Rrod apologists line up to bash and threaten Miller. Almost person for person. Unreal. They make the same arguments RRod doubters do while screaming about how much Miller sucks.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Miller does NOT suck and I'm still "All In!"
In other news: WSU and ASU beat ranked teams today. Not a typo.
I no longer think that we might go 18-0 in conference.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:Remember what Miller inherited and the leap he took basically sight unseen?

Yeah a sweet 16.

I can't remember who was returning on the roster for Miller's first season (and who left from the previous squad)... but your mind is a steel trap. Could you help us remember?

Do you resent him because he is a consistent winner and not a loser who makes excuses for his own failures & inadequacies?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

scumdevils86 wrote:It is insane how much the Rrod apologists line up to bash and threaten Miller. Almost person for person. Unreal. They make the same arguments RRod doubters do while screaming about how much Miller sucks.
Okay, so if Oregon with all of their Nike money and exposure has been unable to win a title, why do you think we should be competing with Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc.? I'm open to a coaching change if it will improve us, but even Washington got crushed in the CFP a couple years ago. Expectations are different when it comes to basketball because we have won a championship in basketball. Same at Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc. It should be easy to understand, even for you.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Harvey Specter wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Yeah a sweet 16.

I can't remember who was returning on the roster for Miller's first season (and who left from the previous squad)... but your mind is a steel trap. Could you help us remember?

Do you resent him because he is a consistent winner and not a loser who makes excuses for his own failures & inadequacies?
I don't resent him in any way so please stop with the making shit up and projections.

FYI I was unhappy with Miller for a time but completely over it for making excuses and blaming others (U of A fans) for losses
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Speaking of Oregon, Altman has taken a program with limited recent success to an elite eight and final four in consecutive seasons. We really can't afford to rest on our laurels when Miller hasn't brought us a FF and NCAA sanctions could be looming.

I give Miller credit for reviving us in '09. He has been sensational in the regular season and has brought in tons of talent. But the athletic department is giving him unlimited resources for the purpose of winning championships. If he can't do it, let's find someone else.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Exactly Tate. Miller is very good and done great things but it is time to get to that next level and the last 8 seasons and so far this season have proven that some adjustments must be made to get there.

No one is talking shot about Miller or putting him down at all.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Harvey Specter wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Yeah a sweet 16.

he is a consistent winner and not a loser who makes excuses for his own failures & inadequacies?
if you read postgame comments in losses or bad games his go-to is to blame who? the players of course, bad execution is always the reason it seems

and "winning" at recruiting is not the same as winning on the court. this is a coach who hasn't beaten a 3-seed or better since 2011

it's no secret i've been over Miller since he choked away the second Wisky EE game. His mid major mentality does not work with the elite athletes he somehow recruits
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Hang those top 4 recruiting class banners like UCONN hangs 4 championship banners since our last err only title
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Yeah a sweet 16.

he is a consistent winner and not a loser who makes excuses for his own failures & inadequacies?
if you read postgame comments in losses or bad games his go-to is to blame who? the players of course, bad execution is always the reason it seems

and "winning" at recruiting is not the same as winning on the court. this is a coach who hasn't beaten a 3-seed or better since 2011

it's no secret i've been over Miller since he choked away the second Wisky EE game. His mid major mentality does not work with the elite athletes he somehow recruits
You would've been one of the great "fire Lute" leaders back in the early 90's. No doubt in my mind you would've been one of the ignorant fans calling for Lute's head after another early exit in '93 despite a stellar regular season. Your arguments are so full of non sequiturs there are too many to count.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Lute at least made 2 final fours by that time
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am not in the fire Miller camp but have been concerned for years that he hasn't made a final four yet. Does he need a few weeks away from the team to clear his head and fine tune his message and make the needed adjustments? Is the FBI scandal of which he is responsible for in every way weighing too much on him right now?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Machina shut the fuck up with your trolling