Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dcZONAfan

Re: Sean Miller

Post by dcZONAfan »

Olsondogg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I can't state this enough: Arizona would be foolish to fire Miller now. They should at the very least, wait. Do nothing if you have to, but this story is stinking up the joint more and more.
So extend the suspension for now? Through the end of the season? Just let Romar finish the season, and then make harder decisions?
What suspension?
Don't respond to him Odogg. My ignore feature has been working so well!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And exactly Miller was not suspended, he took the night off.

Imagine being able to work any of our jobs if something super terrible super enraging, and categorically false landed on your doorstep 12 hours before you have to clock in.

You arnt going into work that day.

Again beachcat, not suspended, quasi suspended, leave of absence, or any other administrative gobbly-gook

He took the night off. See above
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:as i see it right now, let Coach Miller back on the floor as soon as possible and put everything in the kitchen sink into getting Trier back and making the deepest angriest run in NCAA Tournament history.
Make it so #1.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

97cats wrote:as i see it right now, let Coach Miller back on the floor as soon as possible and put everything in the kitchen sink into getting Trier back and making the deepest angriest run in NCAA Tournament history.
And boom-shaka-fucking-laka!!!!!!

Let’s go

Ride or die

Bear down.

I’m ready to run through walls.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... iller/amp/" target="_blank

Matt Norlander was on Jim Rome earlier talking about Miller and questioning the same things we are.
Last edited by jsbowl16 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

How did it go?
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

CalStateTempe wrote:How did it go?
Hes basically says that ESPN played a game of telephone and likely has zero credible evidence against Miller.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I can't state this enough: Arizona would be foolish to fire Miller now. They should at the very least, wait. Do nothing if you have to, but this story is stinking up the joint more and more.
We have to do something soon to field a team. But maybe the Romar as acting (like Bozo)/Miller leave of absence Lute route is the way to go. Get some players willing to play for Romar AND Miller. They are going to be lower end 3* hoping for full vindication and a chance to star at a name. If you are that lucky. But we have to field a team.
You can wait until the season is over. This isn't too much or too difficult. Fielding a team next year is a problem already and doing something now vs. in a month isn't going to change a damn thing.
100% agree. I am talking about the offseason. The "something soon" is whenever we are eliminated.

Burn the fucker down this year. Burn it all.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

jsbowl16 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:How did it go?
Hes basically says that ESPN played a game of telephone and likely has zero credible evidence against Miller.
Whoa...send a 747 fedex to Bristol cause that how big a vehicle you’ll need to ship some coin to Tucson.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

21hrs since we’ve heard from Schlabach
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I want to keep my mind open to the possibility that Miller is caught on an FBI wiretap on Dawkins from 2016 discussing $100,000 and Deandre Ayton.

In an effort to do so, can anybody here find anybody on the World Wide Web explaining how that would be possible in spite of the logistical and chronological incoherence of an FBI wiretap on Dawkins in 2016?
And add the fact that every one on this board arguably had more pull with Deandre Ayton than Christian Dawkins did.
I can see all those people out there who are certain this story is true. But what does it mean when it doesn't make sense on the face of it and there isn't a single known explanation for how it could make sense in spite of its senselessness?

And even if we can ignore the questions surround why this was published by a college football writer at ESPN... and we can ignore that the report doesn't meet the basic standards of substantiating its claims, and not a single update since has provided any substance... and we can ignore that this author has unwittingly revealed the nature of his anonymous sources as lacking in credibility.... then I'm still left with this question:

What does it mean when a breaking news story leaves out the "when" part of the five W's, states the "when" part only in passing in a voice interview, and the "when" makes no sense and gets corrected on a corrections page, and the "when" still makes no sense for different but equally important reasons?

We know there are people in the world who want to believe that Sean Miller is caught on an FBI wiretap saying these things to Dawkins. So interests of that desire to believe, can anybody point to the explanation that would make it all true?

Nobody? Nothing? Nowhere in the world?

How can I keep my mind open to the possibility that the news broken by ESPN is true?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

EVCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
EVCat wrote:
We have to do something soon to field a team. But maybe the Romar as acting (like Bozo)/Miller leave of absence Lute route is the way to go. Get some players willing to play for Romar AND Miller. They are going to be lower end 3* hoping for full vindication and a chance to star at a name. If you are that lucky. But we have to field a team.
You can wait until the season is over. This isn't too much or too difficult. Fielding a team next year is a problem already and doing something now vs. in a month isn't going to change a damn thing.
100% agree. I am talking about the offseason. The "something soon" is whenever we are eliminated.

Burn the fucker down this year. Burn it all.

Ok then we are on the same page.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So let's say Miller is completely cleared, what exactly does that mean for Schlabach and ESPN? We've already lost Shareef O'Neal. And that pales in comparison to the larger damages to the program.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:I want to keep my mind open to the possibility that Miller is caught on an FBI wiretap on Dawkins from 2016 discussing $100,000 and Deandre Ayton.

In an effort to do so, can anybody here find anybody on the World Wide Web explaining how that would be possible in spite of the logistical and chronological incoherence of an FBI wiretap on Dawkins in 2016?
Serious question. I'm having a very tough time finding the dates of the Dawkins wiretap.

In the complaints, the main allegations are from 2017, but I cannot find reference to the start date. Can anyone lend a hand?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Serious question. I'm having a very tough time finding the dates of the Dawkins wiretap.

In the complaints, the main allegations are from 2017, but I cannot find reference to the start date. Can anyone lend a hand?

Went through this one at midnight...I believe 2016 but any mention of Arizona was from 2017. It was University 2 that was discussing with them in 2016.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:So let's say Miller is completely cleared, what exactly does that mean for Schlabach and ESPN? We've already lost Shareef O'Neal. And that pales in comparison to the larger damages to the program.
libel laws are tricky for public figures, but reckless disregard can replace malice. And the timeline alone is reckless disregard. So is the source issue. And more than Schlabach touched that. There is some type of editorial staff...

So...
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

And add the fact that every one on this board arguably had more pull with Deandre Ayton than Christian Dawkins did.
I can see all those people out there who are certain this story is true. But what does it mean when it doesn't make sense on the face of it and there isn't a single known explanation for how it could make sense in spite of its senselessness?

And even if we can ignore the questions surround why this was published by a college football writer at ESPN... and we can ignore that the report doesn't meet the basic standards of substantiating its claims, and not a single update since has provided any substance... and we can ignore that this author has unwittingly revealed the nature of his anonymous sources as lacking in credibility.... then I'm still left with this question:

What does it mean when a breaking news story leaves out the "when" part of the five W's, states the "when" part only in passing in a voice interview, and the "when" makes no sense and gets corrected on a corrections page, and the "when" still makes no sense for different but equally important reasons?

We know there are people in the world who want to believe that Sean Miller is caught on an FBI wiretap saying these things to Dawkins. So interests of that desire to believe, can anybody point to the explanation that would make it all true?

Nobody? Nothing? Nowhere in the world?

How can I keep my mind open to the possibility that the news broken by ESPN is true?
See Arthur Conan Doyle: when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Beachcat97 wrote:So let's say Miller is completely cleared, what exactly does that mean for Schlabach and ESPN? We've already lost Shareef O'Neal. And that pales in comparison to the larger damages to the program.
Either way Arizona still has to take them to the cleaners for damages. O’Neal being one of them.m

Edit what EV said.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

From Last night:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

NYCat wrote:Martin Blazer pretty much started the whole thing

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ood-dreams" target="_blank
Cooperating with the FBI from late 2014, Blazer moved among sports agents, clothes hawkers and other middlemen as they cut side deals to bring top high-school hoop prospects
By 2013, Blazer had come to the SEC’s attention. It alleged Blazer was shifting money between client accounts to fund movies as well as a country-music project he wanted to fund.

Blazer unsuccessfully pitched his plans to one of his athlete clients, the SEC said. Then he used forged documents to take $550,000 from the client’s brokerage account and steer it toward the two movies, the SEC said.

When the athlete discovered the shortfall and demanded the money, Blazer used phony documents to draw $650,000 from another client -- repaying the first and investing $100,000 in the music venture, the SEC alleged. Then, when the agency’s staffers came to inspect his firm in July 2013, Blazer lied about the transactions. Blazer took more than $2.3 million in all from five clients from October 2010 to January 2013, according to the SEC, before eventually returning $790,000 of it.

By November 2014, Blazer began helping the FBI. Directed by law-enforcement handlers, he circulated among middlemen and coaches from several schools, helping plan the movements of money to young athletes’ families and in some cases delivering payments himself from FBI funds.
The arrangement had white-knuckle potential. Blazer’s undercover role could have been blown at any time once the SEC made its charges against him public after May 2016.

That wouldn’t have been lost on the FBI handlers who set up video cameras in a Las Vegas hotel room on July 27, 2017,
ahead of Blazer’s meeting with a University of Louisville assistant coach, a sports representative and the manager of a team for top high-schoolers. There, the men allegedly brokered a scheme to pay the families of a high-school star, aiming to steer him toward the school and sponsorship deals with Adidas.
https://nytimes.com/2017/09/26/sports/n ... ibery.html" target="_blank
The cases were brought with the aid of a cooperating witness against whom the Securities and Exchange Commission had brought securities charges, including misusing professional athletes’ funds. Two undercover F.B.I. agents posing as financial advisers were also involved. The witness was Martin Blazer, a former financial adviser based in Pittsburgh, the United States attorney’s office said. The investigation used judicially approved wiretaps, and began in 2015.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-man-wh ... 1506902378" target="_blank
In the spring of 2015, Mr. Blazer started making connections with agents and middlemen who he thought might lead to bribe-seeking coaches, according to prosecutors. Few coaches or players Mr. Blazer encountered while working undercover seemed aware of or bothered by his previous problems.

In the spring of 2015, Mr. Blazer worked through old contacts to meet people who might lead him to possible criminal activity. He began recording phone calls and meetings, the criminal complaints said.

According to the criminal complaints unsealed last week, he told an unidentified friend who was a sports agent that he wanted to pay college coaches who would use their influence to send athletes to him as clients.

Former referee
The complaints allege that the agent introduced Mr. Blazer to Rashan Michel, a former National Basketball Association referee who ran a high-end men’s clothing company in Atlanta that outfitted professional athletes. A lawyer for Mr. Michel, who was charged last week, didn’t respond to requests for comment Sunday.

Mr. Michel allegedly connected Mr. Blazer to Christian Dawkins, an agent with ASM Sports who the former referee said had paid bribes to college coaches, according to the complaint. Mr. Dawkins recommended speaking with Lamont Evans, then an assistant coach at the University of South Carolina
In December 2015, Mr. Blazer asked Mr. Sood, his former business partner, if he would work with him and Mr. Dawkins to recruit college athletes as clients, the complaints allege. In March 2016, Messrs. Sood and Blazer met with Messrs. Dawkins and Evans at a restaurant in South Carolina, the complaints said.
In March, FBI agents watched as Mr. Sood met with several people at a restaurant in Las Vegas, the complaints said. Prosecutors alleged it was a meeting to arrange paying basketball coaches at the University of Arizona. Mr. Sood was charged last week.

By late April, the FBI had a wiretap on the phone of Mr. Blazer’s former business partner, and Arizona assistant coach Emanuel Richardson was drawn into the alleged scheme, according to prosecutors. He was charged last week. His lawyer couldn’t be reached for comment.

In early May, prosecutors said, Mr. Dawkins, the sports agent, was fired from ASM Sports after an investigation by the NBA players’ union found he had misused a client’s credit card. Mr. Sood told Mr. Dawkins he would help him start his own management company, according to the complaints.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:Question: if Miller is clean, how come former players and associates aren’t coming out publicly to support him, maybe just via Twitter?

His current and former players absolutely know if the program is dirty. So it would be nice to hear from TJ or AG or SJ or anyone who’s had a fruitful relationship with AZ hoops during Miller’s tenure.
Maybe because Twitter is not cool anymore and has not been for a long time... at least with younger people? It's great for middle aged to older assholes who want to bark about politics all the time.

Enter 2018 and sign up for Instagram. There have been SEVERAL former players expressing unequivocal support for him.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm trying....
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The complaint doesn't address wiretaps. Nowhere in any document on the internet can I find anybody on an FBI wiretap for this stuff prior to 2017, but let's say there was a double-secret one anyway. According to the complaint, the activities of FBI interest in Book Richardson date to February 2017. So any double-secret wiretap of Miller talking to Dawkins would have to have been rejected as inconsequential to Dawkins' role in the conspiracies detailed in the FBI complaint, and therefore left out of the FBI complaint, and Book was taken away in handcuffs, and I guess the Federal Bureau of Investigation conspired to suppress evidence against the guy they were going after for fear of implicating Sean Miller, because the FBI loves Arizona basketball.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

go, Ari!!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

jajoyce wrote:From Last night:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

NYCat wrote:Martin Blazer pretty much started the whole thing

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ood-dreams" target="_blank
Cooperating with the FBI from late 2014, Blazer moved among sports agents, clothes hawkers and other middlemen as they cut side deals to bring top high-school hoop prospects
By 2013, Blazer had come to the SEC’s attention. It alleged Blazer was shifting money between client accounts to fund movies as well as a country-music project he wanted to fund.

Blazer unsuccessfully pitched his plans to one of his athlete clients, the SEC said. Then he used forged documents to take $550,000 from the client’s brokerage account and steer it toward the two movies, the SEC said.

When the athlete discovered the shortfall and demanded the money, Blazer used phony documents to draw $650,000 from another client -- repaying the first and investing $100,000 in the music venture, the SEC alleged. Then, when the agency’s staffers came to inspect his firm in July 2013, Blazer lied about the transactions. Blazer took more than $2.3 million in all from five clients from October 2010 to January 2013, according to the SEC, before eventually returning $790,000 of it.

By November 2014, Blazer began helping the FBI. Directed by law-enforcement handlers, he circulated among middlemen and coaches from several schools, helping plan the movements of money to young athletes’ families and in some cases delivering payments himself from FBI funds.
The arrangement had white-knuckle potential. Blazer’s undercover role could have been blown at any time once the SEC made its charges against him public after May 2016.

That wouldn’t have been lost on the FBI handlers who set up video cameras in a Las Vegas hotel room on July 27, 2017,
ahead of Blazer’s meeting with a University of Louisville assistant coach, a sports representative and the manager of a team for top high-schoolers. There, the men allegedly brokered a scheme to pay the families of a high-school star, aiming to steer him toward the school and sponsorship deals with Adidas.
https://nytimes.com/2017/09/26/sports/n ... ibery.html" target="_blank
The cases were brought with the aid of a cooperating witness against whom the Securities and Exchange Commission had brought securities charges, including misusing professional athletes’ funds. Two undercover F.B.I. agents posing as financial advisers were also involved. The witness was Martin Blazer, a former financial adviser based in Pittsburgh, the United States attorney’s office said. The investigation used judicially approved wiretaps, and began in 2015.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-man-wh ... 1506902378" target="_blank
In the spring of 2015, Mr. Blazer started making connections with agents and middlemen who he thought might lead to bribe-seeking coaches, according to prosecutors. Few coaches or players Mr. Blazer encountered while working undercover seemed aware of or bothered by his previous problems.

In the spring of 2015, Mr. Blazer worked through old contacts to meet people who might lead him to possible criminal activity. He began recording phone calls and meetings, the criminal complaints said.

According to the criminal complaints unsealed last week, he told an unidentified friend who was a sports agent that he wanted to pay college coaches who would use their influence to send athletes to him as clients.

Former referee
The complaints allege that the agent introduced Mr. Blazer to Rashan Michel, a former National Basketball Association referee who ran a high-end men’s clothing company in Atlanta that outfitted professional athletes. A lawyer for Mr. Michel, who was charged last week, didn’t respond to requests for comment Sunday.

Mr. Michel allegedly connected Mr. Blazer to Christian Dawkins, an agent with ASM Sports who the former referee said had paid bribes to college coaches, according to the complaint. Mr. Dawkins recommended speaking with Lamont Evans, then an assistant coach at the University of South Carolina
In December 2015, Mr. Blazer asked Mr. Sood, his former business partner, if he would work with him and Mr. Dawkins to recruit college athletes as clients, the complaints allege. In March 2016, Messrs. Sood and Blazer met with Messrs. Dawkins and Evans at a restaurant in South Carolina, the complaints said.
In March, FBI agents watched as Mr. Sood met with several people at a restaurant in Las Vegas, the complaints said. Prosecutors alleged it was a meeting to arrange paying basketball coaches at the University of Arizona. Mr. Sood was charged last week.

By late April, the FBI had a wiretap on the phone of Mr. Blazer’s former business partner, and Arizona assistant coach Emanuel Richardson was drawn into the alleged scheme, according to prosecutors. He was charged last week. His lawyer couldn’t be reached for comment.

In early May, prosecutors said, Mr. Dawkins, the sports agent, was fired from ASM Sports after an investigation by the NBA players’ union found he had misused a client’s credit card. Mr. Sood told Mr. Dawkins he would help him start his own management company, according to the complaints.
Yeah I'm not fully convinced we're in the clear, shoddy espn journalism and all.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:I'm trying....
So Reece Davis is defending the accuracy story without addressing what's impossible about the story?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hell yeah ari! Keep their feet to the fire.
cpt

Post by cpt »

Beachcat97 wrote:
The only reason this doesn't happen is if the school knows something we don't.
Or unless they are a bunch of scared little bunnies...
cpt

Post by cpt »

Unless he recommits. And I could definitely see that happening.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I'm probably the closest to Bristol...let me know guys if I need to go up there and kick some ass.

I'm so done with this witch hunt.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Will there be a presser this week or do we just have to wait till Thursday to see if CSM is back?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Will there be a presser this week or do we just have to wait till Thursday to see if CSM is back?
Who knows? You figure any news of a presser will hit our feeds at the same time. Just gotta wait.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I don't know what ESPN thought about UofA before yesterday, but I can say for certain they aren't fans of ours after the last 2 days.

UofA fans have been relentless.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:I'm trying....

What if the tapes don't say what they think they say?

Release them. Let's hear!!!
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

phxcat23 wrote:The thing is, if Miller was tipped off about Book doing his own thing on the side, chances are the FBI wasn't around to get anything on Miller until Dawkins started to communicate with Book. Since this timeline seems so jacked, when was it that Book made contact with Dawkins? That's probably the point in time the FBI started sniffing around Arizona....then found only enough evidence to get Book, and Miller has nothing solid against him.
They were listening to Dawkins not Miller and I believe the investigation goes back to at least 2015 so those taps could have occurred a long time ago.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ESPN has no fucking clue when this conversation took place, that much is clear.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:I don't know what ESPN thought about UofA before yesterday, but I can say for certain they aren't fans of ours after the last 2 days.

UofA fans have been relentless.
It's clearly gotten into their heads. In the heading of a new correction to a Patty Mills story, they accidentally title it: "Miller taunted by fan" instead of "Mills taunted by fan".

http://www.espn.com/espn/corrections" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Arizona fans continuing to light up every Bilas tweet. It’s glorious.

MSU too, saying this is how you know duke is involved. Lol
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

If we could just see t on a split screen it would all make sense
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Postmaster wrote:
phxcat23 wrote:The thing is, if Miller was tipped off about Book doing his own thing on the side, chances are the FBI wasn't around to get anything on Miller until Dawkins started to communicate with Book. Since this timeline seems so jacked, when was it that Book made contact with Dawkins? That's probably the point in time the FBI started sniffing around Arizona....then found only enough evidence to get Book, and Miller has nothing solid against him.
They were listening to Dawkins not Miller and I believe the investigation goes back to at least 2015 so those taps could have occurred a long time ago.
And the FBI thought so much about those tapped conversations that they didn't include them or Miller in their complaint for activities through September 2017? And decided just to get Book?
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Postmaster wrote:
From previous posts it stated that phone conversations with Book happened in March of what would have been 2017.
**Correction April
Last edited by phxcat23 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Longhorned wrote:
Postmaster wrote:
And the FBI thought so much about those tapped conversations that they didn't include them or Miller in their complaint for activities through September 2017? And decided just to get Book?
And even called him the victim back then
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote:
Postmaster wrote:

What if the FBI had the tapes of Miller but he doesn't say what ESPN says he said?

I'm sure we can find out on the corrections page someday.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ESPN is under no obligation to do anything else on the report. The damage is done. If they had more, they'd play their next card.
The next move is Miller's and Arizona's. And the investigation may prohibit him from saying much, which puts him in a tough spot whether he's guilty or not of wrongdoing.
All in all, it's shitty journalism by ESPN. They lobbed a hand grenade into McKale and then hid under the covers in Bristol. They can't follow up because they need more leaks. And Arizona doesn't have access to the FBI files. It boils down to how transparent Miller is wth Arizona and if they believe him.
Right now, and maybe forever, ESPN is a four letter word in Tucson.
Last edited by zonagrad on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Postmaster wrote:
The general idea from the brief the FBI provided was Arizona, and Book, kind of walked sideways into the investigation of the other schools. Book approached Dawkins while Dawkins was on wiretap, and offered Arizona up, so to speak.

That narrative would be completely wrong, and there was reason to believe that narrative, if they had Miller way back when. It also makes no sense that Book would be reaching out later and getting paltry sums for throwing stuff the agency's way if Sean was telling Dawkins to deal with him and was already working with Dawkins and/or Miller.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

zonagrad wrote:ESPN is under no obligation to do anything else on the report. The damage is done. If they had more, they'd play their next card.
The next move is Miller's and Arizona's. And the investigation may prohibit him from saying much, which puts him in a tough spot whether he's guilty or not of wrongdoing.
All in all, it's shitty journalism by ESPN. They lobbed a hand grenade into McKale and then hid under the covers in Bristol. They can't follow up because they need more leaks. And Arizona doesn't have access to the FBI files. It boils down to how transparent Miller is wth Arizona and if they believe him.
Right now, and maybe forever, ESPN is a four letter word in Tucson.

Valid points...Def enjoyed the last line!
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

I'll have my shit on espn signs ready for Sat night
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

zonagrad wrote:ESPN is under no obligation to do anything else on the report. The damage is done. If they had more, they'd play their next card.
No...but risk management is real.

I figure they have about 4 days, maybe even 7, to make a retraction if the story isn't checking out in their retro-review. And move on the writer.

Or stand with it. With corrections.

Beyond that? The damage is, indeed, done and they cannot put the genie back in the bottle...
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

EVCat wrote:
libel laws are tricky for public figures, but reckless disregard can replace malice. And the timeline alone is reckless disregard. So is the source issue. And more than Schlabach touched that. There is some type of editorial staff...

So...
Libel laws are tricky, but they aren't that tricky - and the public figure exception certainly doesn't apply to the University, the program, Ayton or his family. This is categorically libel per se if it in fact turns out to not be true.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

CatHoops wrote:I'll have my shit on espn signs ready for Sat night
Too bad our security is so strict with signs....maybe they'll let it slide this week?