Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Sean Miller

Post by rgdeuce »

splitsecond wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:Azcentral starts questioning eSpin

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 382372002/
These new AZcentral writers are such absolute knobs. That entire publication has gone to shit since Gannett took over. If I wanted to read the USA Today I would read the USA Today.
Gannett runs the Daily Star too
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

97cats wrote:
midnightx wrote:97, any idea of what kind of sanctions AZ may be facing? One wonders if AZ will ever fully recover.
no idea - but there is a theory (not sure how relevant it is) that if the onus is put on the university to handle initially (which it was to AZ) and that said university takes the proactive proper steps to clean or expose the issue on its own, than the NCAA will look more favorably on their investigation once thats concluded -- versus ignoring or arguing the opposite side or in some cases doing nothing and then being found guilty which directly results in more severe sanctions.
Ah, preemptively declare yourself guilty to try to mitigate future punishment. And Trust the NCAA to honor this unspoken agreement? That sounds like a wonderful idea! May we please?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
But maybe they’ve already opened the door to that. I mean when 247 came out earlier this week and stated that there are sources who can vouch that what is on that tape will surely exonerate CSM. Someone on this board, I believe 97, (and forgive me 97 if it wasn’t you) stated that the timing of this release was calculated. Maybe I’m grasping at straws
the release of that report from Daniels & CO poking holes in the ESPN timeline was thought out and calculated.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

midnightx wrote:97, any idea of what kind of sanctions AZ may be facing? One wonders if AZ will ever fully recover.
I'm just having a hard time believing there's going to be this absurdly asymmetrical punishment given to AZ, while other programs skate. It's now known that Kansas paid Josh Jackson, and that Duke paid Wendell Carter, and that UNC created fake classes for their athletes. There's not a chance that the collectivity of what AZ/Miller has done surpasses these other instances of wrongdoing. Not. A. Chance.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azcat34 wrote:
NYCat wrote:No mention of Ayton
Unbelievable, have they updated the corrections page for the 3rd time?
:lol:

Wow
cats101

Post by cats101 »

97cats wrote:
azcat49 wrote:How about mutually agree to separate but he coaches to the seasons conclusion? Seems like not a whole lot of risk there
that was secretly on the table pretty much the entire season - hence why i kept being vague but pointing out that this was Miller's last season in Tucson.

"sometimes a fresh start is the best for everyone."
Without saying too much that makes sense why the Miller's (mainly Amy, I believe) decided to refinance their home the way they did. I don't think they were thinking long term after what dropped in Sept. Just a guess though.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

My notes on 1290AM interview with Jason Scheer from Wed PM broadcast:

Board of Regents meeting tomorrow: Cannot fire (hire etc) but only ratify an agreement between UA and CSM. An example would be an agreement to support CSM as coach, given no further NCAA / FBI discoveries.

IF UA fires "without cause" in the current environment then there is a good chance they will see a large suit from CSM.

Law suit #2: Hansen: <Sheer at the time tweeted that Hansen had no talk with Book "rhymes with look," as Hansen claimed.> Hansen has since admitted that he made the whole thing up and was speculation. : Hansen's bogus claim that Miller stopped recruiting in September. "AZ has offered 10 kids and made multiple visits...Brandon Williams 5 star PG and others are still committed; "Brandon will come if MIller stays."

Trier: Will be decided on within a few days by NCAA one way or the other "at some point this season"

Closing statements: Q: Would you rather have CSM or Trier for the rest of the season ?

A: "I side with the player"

Next year: Players remaining will like stay for the minutes, new coach will bring some; UA 9-9 in the Pac12 at worst next season

Bottom line Sheer gut feeling: CSM will not be back next season
OSCat

Post by OSCat »

So correct me if I'm wrong, but is Miller negotiating his return to the sideline as indicated in 247 article or his buy out clause. Thoughts please
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

With all that 97 said I still roll out Miller as one last fuck you. Give me all those sanctions and let miller describe it all to 60 mins after winning the natty.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

After it became clear that Ayton could not be verified as the 5-Star recruit, ESPN changed the details of the story.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:With all that 97 said I still roll out Miller as one last fuck you. Give me all those sanctions and let miller describe it all to 60 mins after winning the natty.
a big part of me feels this way too
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Olsondogg wrote:With all that 97 said I still roll out Miller as one last fuck you. Give me all those sanctions and let miller describe it all to 60 mins after winning the natty.
Haha I love these statements, but we’ll need Zo
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

midnightx wrote:
After it became clear that Ayton could not be verified as the 5-Star recruit, ESPN changed the details of the story.
Their story still says Ayton.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I don’t get why people are so freaked out by NCAA sanctions... That organization is a limp dick.

At worse you’re getting 1 year ban, a couple of lost scholarships, and some vacated W’s.

You suck it up, then start buying your way to the top again.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:I don’t get why people are so freaked out by NCAA sanctions... That organization is a limp dick.

At worse you’re getting 1 year ban, a couple of lost scholarships, and some vacated W’s.

youve always been one of my fav posters on any Arizona board -- dont ever change got nothin but luv for ya, BibbysTowelDude
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:

Byrne would do it. No fucking doubt.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

People in the media are grabbing on to Ryan's tweet.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote: Byrne would do it. No fucking doubt.
yep -- and Byrne is one of the pieces in this who was complicit and supportive...make no mistake, the former AD was involved and made things happen for Miller.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:I don’t get why people are so freaked out by NCAA sanctions... That organization is a limp dick.

Ding ding ding
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

Thanks 97, appreciate it. Part of me feels that Lute kept his recruiting to mainly the west coast - CA, WA and TX mainly. While CSM has gone straight into ACC/Big East territory with NYC/Philly guys and won against some of the blue bloods. That has to piss programs off.
97cats wrote:
SteveKerrsStroke wrote:Yeah.. seriously.. How much more are future allegations going to damage our program?
i agree if this was the first sign, or even second, but Arizona is under a tremendous amount of scrutiny behind the scenes with many people frothing at the mouth for their pound of flesh.

keeping Miller on through the season is what i want, but i 100% understand being scared to do so if more fallout or detail is released at a more high profile time, especially given that Arizona was perceived to be dead in the water at the end of February.

if in fact they do move on as business as usual and fight the claim and then there is a substantiated report that is not based on speculation i believe that would hurt Arizona, the president of the university, and it AD far more than if they cut bait now.

but its not a perfect world, they have people to answer to including the fans boosters players and university who want a winner and the money and the notarity but dont want to know how.

its been going on at AZ for decades and when Lute Olson was here things were handled just a weeeeeee bit different...im telling you Sean Miller took the power and resources of Arizona Basketball to another level doing things on the recruiting trail that most thought never imaginable. he was careless sometimes mostly being loyal and trusting a man who has a tough time making good choices.

dont let it fall on def ears that many o folks who care about AZ had told Sean to get rid of Book as he would be his demise and Coach Miller, like he so often does, chose to do his own thing and ignore the pleas.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
yep -- and Byrne is one of the pieces in this who was complicit and supportive...make no mistake, the former AD was involved and made things happen for Miller.
I remember Greg in Vegas. schmoooozing.

Vegas is really sin city. No damn doubt.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:
97cats wrote:

Byrne would do it. No fucking doubt.
:lol:
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

yes, fucking yes.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

IMNSHO:

Continued silence by U of A leadership is not very good crisis management

One can only regard CSM's continued absence as a "suspension"

There can be no "good" outcome at this point - only degrees of bad outcomes

These "bad" outcomes will/would all involve some tradeoffs between short-term gains vs long-term losses

I can no longer imagine CSM as Arizona's coach next season.

I've been a critic for awhile now of some (only some!) of Trier's tendencies, but DAMNIT, I really want him back ASAP

Whatever happens, I'll be in Vegas cheering my ass off for these players, and the balance of their season!!!

Bear Down, Arizona!!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

midnightx wrote:
Which 5-star recruit could they be referring to though?

247sports' article says the calls took place 6/19/17 - 9/25/17 and Bowen committed on 6/3/2017.

Was it a 2018 5-star recruit? Still so many unanswered questions.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just wanna make sure I'm clear on something. So is the idea that elite players would only go to AZ if they were paid handsomely, and not because they want to play for a good coach and be part of a winning program? Why would this only be true at AZ? Has anyone visited Lawrence, Kansas, recently? It's sort of a shithole.
520in480

Post by 520in480 »

My hope for a minimal punishment by the NCAA rests on the fact that so many schools are involved in this that they can't all possibly be dealt crushing penalties, but more importantly, the NCAA's reputation is really taking a hit. LeBron's called it corrupt and the calls for paying players is getting louder. Given this climate, in order for the NCAA to save whatever is left of its reputation, it needs to show itself to be reasonable, not strong. My rose-colored wish is that a desire to be viewed as reasonable and fair as opposed to strict and corrupt, leads to a lighter sentence for UA.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Best post I've read through this whole ordeal. Funny and true. Well played sir!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:
97cats wrote:
I remember Greg in Vegas. schmoooozing.

Vegas is really sin city. No damn doubt.
I met Greg at an event at the Olympic club in SF, same. Knew where the big fish in the room where and just laser’d in.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Any possibility that UofA is playing a big game of chicken with ESPN right now? If they retract before the ncaa tournament, Miller coaches and if not, he doesnt.
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

Halftime of Kentucky vs. Ole Miss, and the mentioned the meeting deciding CSM's fate tomorrow, and interestingly they mentioned Ayton.

Botton line info and telecast not matching up?
BibbysTowelDude

97cats wrote:

youve always been one of my fav posters on any Arizona board -- dont ever change got nothin but luv for ya, BibbysTowelDude
I was about to say ditto but gross...

I’m always in your foxhole Nine Seven!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

This is between team Miller and the University guys.
prh

Post by prh »

Postseason bans affecting recruiting is really silly too. Recruits go places with post season bans all the time, just slightly differently. Markelle Fultz, Ben Simmons, and this year it's Michael Porter. Shareef probably next year. Yeah I know they get conference tournaments, but no one cares about those anyways. Playing in the NCAA tourney isn't the end all be all for getting to the league.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azcat34 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Which 5-star recruit could they be referring to though?

247sports' article says the calls took place 6/19/17 - 9/25/17 and Bowen committed on 6/3/2017.

Was it a 2018 5-star recruit? Still so many unanswered questions.
Little? It's probably jus ESPN screwing things up
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BibbysTowelDude

I kind of get the funny feeling Miller coaches if Zo goes. No Zo, No Go... :lol: :lol:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Olsondogg wrote:This is between team Miller and the University guys.
This. ESPN has nothing to do with it anymore. It is all about how much of A risk Heeke and Robins with influence from ABOR are willing to take that nothing else comes in the next 5 weeks.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
BibbysTowelDude

g32knights wrote:Halftime of Kentucky vs. Ole Miss, and the mentioned the meeting deciding CSM's fate tomorrow, and interestingly they mentioned Ayton.

Botton line info and telecast not matching up?
In the background I heard one of those pencil dicks say “Coach Miller’s fate to be decided by his superiors.”

Thanks for the mind blowing information sweetie!!!! Haha
520in480

Post by 520in480 »

97, two questions for you. 1. Given the amount of people involved in the recruitment and payment of players - coaches, players, families, agents, shoe companies, etc. - surely there are bound to be individuals who feel they have been wronged and seek revenge by blowing the whistle on the whole operation. Any idea why this hasn't happened? And 2., I heard from a friend who spoke with the mother of a former player over a year ago. According to him, she said some former players were not high on Miller because they felt there were shady deals going down. Have you heard anything like this?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Parting ways during a game day seems like the stupidest thing they could do, which means it's going to happen.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Wasn’t the real reason USC football got hammered by the NCAA that their AD and football staff just told the NCAA to fuck off and kept everyone in place?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Fuck it, play Trier let CSM finish the season out. We are going to get hammered for a year or two anyway, may as well enjoy last call.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

97cats wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:... is that the optics clearly show me that Robbins and Heeke very likely do not believe Miller
i believe they believe Coach Miller in his refute to the report from ESPN - what i think scares the living daylights out of them about the long term situation is anyone close to this entire situation is aware and has been made aware that the FBI is sitting on a huge pile of evidence scanning ALL of college bball and Arizona and Sean Miller allegedly have a large part in that.

does it ever get released? who knows?

will it ever result in sanctions or further the scandal? who knows?

however, as see over the last six days, in todays environment of the court of public opinion and internet journalism there are leaks and fabrications and manipulations that spurn chaos -- would Arizona be in a position to feel the heat from this avenue again and god for bid it was attacked during the NCAA Tournament or a Final Four by someone who sitting on information (baseless or not) that could further damage the program far beyond whats already transpired????

to use the optics reference, that then would fall back on the AD for not being proactive and putting the university's best interest at mind when speculation and accusation arose in February after initial representation in September.

that has been the discussion and the heads of Arizona are in a tough spot, keep him and risk the above which has the potential to be far worse than the former, or part ways now and pay a huge number to get out.
I’ve always assumed that Sean comes off poorly to people outside the family and he obviously doesn’t get along with Alford and K but who else that really matters has he pissed off to that extent?
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

520in480 wrote:97, two questions for you. 1. Given the amount of people involved in the recruitment and payment of players - coaches, players, families, agents, shoe companies, etc. - surely there are bound to be individuals who feel they have been wronged and seek revenge by blowing the whistle on the whole operation. Any idea why this hasn't happened? And 2., I heard from a friend who spoke with the mother of a former player over a year ago. According to him, she said some former players were not high on Miller because they felt there were shady deals going down. Have you heard anything like this?
Kobi Simmons?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe any update?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

legallykenny wrote:
97cats wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:... is that the optics clearly show me that Robbins and Heeke very likely do not believe Miller
i believe they believe Coach Miller in his refute to the report from ESPN - what i think scares the living daylights out of them about the long term situation is anyone close to this entire situation is aware and has been made aware that the FBI is sitting on a huge pile of evidence scanning ALL of college bball and Arizona and Sean Miller allegedly have a large part in that.

however, as see over the last six days, in todays environment of the court of public opinion and internet journalism there are leaks and fabrications and manipulations that spurn chaos -- would Arizona be in a position to feel the heat from this avenue again and god for bid it was attacked during the NCAA Tournament or a Final Four by someone who sitting on information (baseless or not) that could further damage the program far beyond whats already transpired????

to use the optics reference, that then would fall back on the AD for not being proactive and putting the university's best interest at mind when speculation and accusation arose in February after initial representation in September.

that has been the discussion and the heads of Arizona are in a tough spot, keep him and risk the above which has the potential to be far worse than the former, or part ways now and pay a huge number to get out.
I’ve always assumed that Sean comes off poorly to people outside the family and he obviously doesn’t get along with Alford and K but who else that really matters has he pissed off to that extent?
Aren’t him and Cal pretty good friends?
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
97cats wrote:

Aren’t him and Cal pretty good friends?
Seems like that’s what we’d always been told. Plus his brother is now at one of the power programs and he can’t have much drama with UNC if he’s been on their successor list.
BibbysTowelDude

legallykenny wrote:

Wasn’t the real reason USC football got hammered by the NCAA that their AD and football staff just told the NCAA to fuck off and kept everyone in place?

Wouldn’t doubt it, and the NCAA was obliterated by the media and the public. They’ve been progressively more pathetic since. Even caved to Pedophile State and their sanctions. The NCAA is dogshit.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I love this post so much.

Hell, do it like professional wrestling:

"Oh my God! That's Sean Miller's music! He can't be here!"

You know what I really feel about 100k for Ayton? That's a fantastic deal, and to get him for that little, Miller really is a witch.
BibbysTowelDude

For real Spiff, 100k is a huge bargain for Ayton.