Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Longhorned »

0% chance Miller gets fired over that ESPN report. If the decision today is he's not coming back to the team, it has to be for other reasons, which grow out of the false allegations and fallout from that ESPN report.
Last edited by Longhorned on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:Izzo our there on the sidelines. Altman. Cal for fucks sake.
Thank you. It's not good that Miller might get punished, but come on, it happens all the time to lots of coaches. It doesn't mean the end of those coaches at that institution.

I can't believe I forgot Calipari. Two Final Fours vacated and Oehler is wondering how we accept Miller if he gets punished by the NCAA.
Osborn

Post by Osborn »

Bosy Billups wrote:
97cats wrote:TMZ -- that's what I thought the whole time, from the background music to the dialogue
Insult to TMZ, TBH

Look, ESPN (a Disney company) is in the business of clicks, page views, and eyeballs to get ad revenue. Just like fake news MSM, they will report shaky, sensational shit, even if that means ruining a life, if that story gets the clicks and eyeballs. This one does, so press on. They are legendary trolls on the masses.

Ps - even if completely false, there is little recourse for Miller to sue because he's a public figure, and ESPN can quite easily not show the malice standard. Oh well.
Really? Arizona law doesn't seem so restrictive (but it's not really my specialty). I'm betting Coach's lawyers can make a case for ESPN acting in reckless regard for the truth, or that ESPN negligently failed to ascertain the truth. And, don't forget that UofA likely also has a claim against ESPN. Its reputation, ability to raise money, and appeal to advertisers may also have been damaged by ESPN's reporting. ESPN's lawyer have certainly told Schlabach to remain silent, and maybe also why ESPN hasn't yet offered a full retraction (which could be perceived as an admission of its falsity).
walk-on-wildcat

Post by walk-on-wildcat »

Irish27 wrote:
I always thought Jody Oehler was a girl!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

walk-on-wildcat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
Arizona alum I believe.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Osborn wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
97cats wrote:TMZ -- that's what I thought the whole time, from the background music to the dialogue
Insult to TMZ, TBH

Look, ESPN (a Disney company) is in the business of clicks, page views, and eyeballs to get ad revenue. Just like fake news MSM, they will report shaky, sensational shit, even if that means ruining a life, if that story gets the clicks and eyeballs. This one does, so press on. They are legendary trolls on the masses.

Ps - even if completely false, there is little recourse for Miller to sue because he's a public figure, and ESPN can quite easily not show the malice standard. Oh well.
Really? Arizona law doesn't seem so restrictive (but it's not really my specialty). I'm betting Coach's lawyers can make a case for ESPN acting in reckless regard for the truth, or that ESPN negligently failed to ascertain the truth. And, don't forget that UofA likely also has a claim against ESPN. Its reputation, ability to raise money, and appeal to advertisers may also have been damaged by ESPN's reporting. ESPN's lawyer have certainly told Schlabach to remain silent, and maybe also why ESPN hasn't yet offered a full retraction (which could be perceived as an admission of its falsity).
Public figure makes libel harder because you have to prove malice...or...reckless disregard. You can sub that in for malice. Demonstrably untrue, reckless disregard, damage is provable...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

How cool would it be if they not only state that Miller is staying but they also gave him an extension?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

This Forbes article is suggesting that the wording of Millers contract contains an error...I know some sports guys got the payouts wrong...but there might be a reason it has been misunderstood and it MIGHT be a better explanation for the ABOR meeting since they do not hire or fire they simply approve contracts...this would be on THEM as much as anyone else.

Article from Forbes
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azgreg wrote:How cool would it be if they not only state that Miller is staying but they also gave him an extension?
RAMMING SPEED!!!

I'd love it.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

azgreg wrote:
walk-on-wildcat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
Arizona alum I believe.
He was PA announcer for football for a few years.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

I said yesterday morning on this thread that we wouldnt get an announcement yesterday so I am going to try for two for two here. I have a feeling we will hear today that Miller will be allowed to coach but his contract will be changed to year to year. That way the University doesnt just go on hearsay and get rid of him but also has some protection if something else comes out. To top it off, Miller comes back next year because at this point I am not sure if he has any other feasible options in coaching.

This might be wishful thinking but I am hoping this is how it plays out.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Anybody have a spare F5 key laying around?
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Everybody on this board today:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:How cool would it be if they not only state that Miller is staying but they also gave him an extension?
They should do it in the alternative:

If the ESPN report is false, an extension.
If the ESPN report is true, a bonus for saving the State money by obtaining outside money and closing the deal at a substantial discount.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

jsbowl16 wrote:I said yesterday morning on this thread that we wouldnt get an announcement yesterday so I am going to try for two for two here. I have a feeling we will hear today that Miller will be allowed to coach but his contract will be changed to year to year. That way the University doesnt just go on hearsay and get rid of him but also has some protection if something else comes out. To top it off, Miller comes back next year because at this point I am not sure if he has any other feasible options in coaching.

I would speculate that we won't hear anything today either. The ABOR meeting doesn't conclude until 3 pm. The ABOR then has to communicate with the UA Presidient........who will speak with the lawyers. The UA lawyers then have to speak with Millers lawyers...........Lawyers are paid by the hour. I'm guessing a 10am PR friday morning. 7 pm tomorrow if they want to bury the news as much as possible.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Keep the focus on the kids and the game tonight
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azcat49 wrote:Keep the focus on the kids and the game tonight
If they part ways today isn't that doing the complete opposite
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I set personal goals for myself each day.

Today’s goal is to get some semblance of work done today.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NYCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Keep the focus on the kids and the game tonight
If they part ways today isn't that doing the complete opposite
Yep
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CalStateTempe wrote:I set personal goals for myself each day.

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:This Forbes article is suggesting that the wording of Millers contract contains an error...I know some sports guys got the payouts wrong...but there might be a reason it has been misunderstood and it MIGHT be a better explanation for the ABOR meeting since they do not hire or fire they simply approve contracts...this would be on THEM as much as anyone else.

Article from Forbes
that was the source of the initial "Miller gets paid even if fired for cause" reports, like that was a clause in the contract.

From what I understand, both past practice and intent are in play in this kind of vague contract clause, so the ABOR is continuing as if that is resolved.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep, that is why I guess I was agreeing with DMJ. Of course if they announce he is back that would be OK :)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:
jsbowl16 wrote:I said yesterday morning on this thread that we wouldnt get an announcement yesterday so I am going to try for two for two here. I have a feeling we will hear today that Miller will be allowed to coach but his contract will be changed to year to year. That way the University doesnt just go on hearsay and get rid of him but also has some protection if something else comes out. To top it off, Miller comes back next year because at this point I am not sure if he has any other feasible options in coaching.

I would speculate that we won't hear anything today either. The ABOR meeting doesn't conclude until 3 pm. The ABOR then has to communicate with the UA Presidient........who will speak with the lawyers. The UA lawyers then have to speak with Millers lawyers...........Lawyers are paid by the hour. I'm guessing a 10am PR friday morning. 7 pm tomorrow if they want to bury the news as much as possible.
My speculation:

1. The fastest resolution would be a firing. I would hope we're not doing that.
2. The second fastest resolution would be resignation in lieu of firing. This takes a little while longer because you have to negotiate terms of the split.
3. Most likely good, quickish news is Miller agreeing not to coach due to the distraction factor, but not being fired, just an actual mutual separation.
4. Miller returns for the rest of the year. I'm not as optimistic as some on how fast this could happen. I would think they have to first be confident the ESPN report is far off enough that his return won't embarass us. Then there's a second vetting to be sure a new allegation isn't about to drop in a way that embarasses us for putting him back on the sidelines. This is hard.
5. We decide to ride with Miller. I think this is unlikely, because he has to want us. Further, unless we're ready to straight flip off the NCAA, we'd have to be confident that this is the end of the scandal.

I am not an informed insider like 97, but this is my speculative opinion.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

CalStateTempe wrote:I set personal goals for myself each day.

You and me both, but we're lying to ourselves and deep down in our hearts we know this...still...at least make it look like you tried...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Taking Occam's razor to all this:

Arizona and ESPN are talking to one another through attorneys. ESPN is looking for a way out. Arizona isn't yet satisfied with the terms ESPN and its accompanying statement to be offered in retracting the story. The advantage Arizona holds in that negotiation is potential case for damages, which are immense. Nothing ESPN says or does will fix the damage completely (see class of '18 recruiting damage), but Arizona needs to have its reputation restored for the long-term as much as possible, and that can only come at the expense of ESPN's reputation, which would hurt for a long time depending on their statement because the media will turn on ESPN like sharks.
Last edited by Longhorned on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

I've tried to piece everything together (even statements that have been "corrected") and this one theory seems to be plausible for me.

I am going off the assumption that the calls occurred in the Spring of 2017 and that Ayton's name did come up in some fashion. Schlabach on TV Saturday said Spring 2017 without hesitation. The 247sports report of the calls being June 19 to September 25th has confused me. Which recruit could they be talking about if that was the timeline? (RJ Barrett, Bol Bol???) Dawkins was also arrested September 26th. As much of a dope as Schlabach is, I can't imagine he would throw the potential number one pick in the NBA Draft's name into his report unless it came up somehow.

That said, I am also going to assume also that Schlabach has completely swung and missed with his story in its present form given ESPN's actions to this point and that it obviously wasn't about securing Ayton's commitment since he was already signed to an LOI and almost on campus.

With all that said could this be the chain of events?

In the Spring of 2017 it looked like there was a very good chance that Rawle and Trier were both going to go to the NBA Draft. Rawle was playing out of his mind at the end of last year and had every bit the look of a first-round pick. Trier not as much in terms of NBA potential, but he certainly looked like he was going to leave after the extended suspension and probably would have been a late first/early 2nd round pick as well. Nothing to sneeze at.

That left the Arizona coaching staff likely thinking that they were going to need a wing for 2017-2018 very badly.

Enter Brian Bowen.

His recruitment was very strange from the start and it seemed like he was just waiting for Trier or Rawle to announce they were going pro and then he would immediately commit soon thereafter. That seemed to be the prevailing sentiment here for a while from what I remember.

The situation dragged on for a while as Rawle took his fully allotted time to weigh his draft options and if I remember he didn't announce he was coming back until mid-May. While he had every right to do so, it definitely left the coaching staff in limbo with the very real prospect he was going to go pro.

So how does this tie back to what has happened in the past week?

I would say with a high certainty that Miller and Dawkins spoke, under which circumstances is still up for debate. I don't think that has been disputed.

It also appears that Dawkins had previously discussed "trades" in the Yahoo report where he would steer a player to X university if X university coaching staff would steer a current player to ASM. Given that Tarc (is/was?) repped by ASM, one of these trades potentially has already happened with Arizona?

Could the phone calls in question come down to the fact that Dawkins initiated discussions for a Bowen for Ayton swap and $100K was changing hands in some form. I would say likely to Arizona's way given what a prize Ayton would have been for ASM to land. This money I can't imagine would go Sean's way, and more likely to assistants that it would impact more. But where the money goes doesn't ultimately matter, but I can't imagine Arizona would pay $100K AND secure Ayton to ASM as that sounds to me like a fairly bad risk/reward for Arizona.

A Spring 2017 timeline surrounding Bowen to me makes much more sense (he committed to Louisville June 3, 2017) and the (potentially coincidentally) $100K figure was also the amount he reportedly received from Louisville.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... uspension/" target="_blank

So could Schlabach have gotten all of this information quickly from Dawkins and pieced it together in a mind-blowingly sloppy way? To me that could be the case. He heard $100K, Sean Miller and DeAndre Ayton and ran with it -- but put the Rubix cube together in the completely wrong way.

Given that Arizona is not exactly swinging huge public support behind Miller right now, it appears that Schlabach at least had SOMETHING. But given that they haven't fired him either and one of the Regents has openly said the ESPN report is suspect, it is safe to assume their version of events is false.

Putting these two statements together, could the Bowen for Ayton swap potentially be what was discussed by Dawkins and Arizona? To me it seems at least plausible.

To end, I have ZERO inside information and I am not stating that I have any reason to believe that this DID happen. Just trying to put all the pieces together of a chaotic week.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, this thread has moved fast!
Last edited by azcat34 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

My speculation:

2. The second fastest resolution would be resignation in lieu of firing. This takes a little while longer because you have to negotiate terms of the split.
3. Most likely good, quickish news is Miller agreeing not to coach due to the distraction factor, but not being fired, just an actual mutual separation.
4. Miller returns for the rest of the year. I'm not as optimistic as some on how fast this could happen. I would think they have to first be confident the ESPN report is far off enough that his return won't embarass us. Then there's a second vetting to be sure a new allegation isn't about to drop in a way that embarasses us for putting him back on the sidelines. This is hard.
5. We decide to ride with Miller. I think this is unlikely, because he has to want us. Further, unless we're ready to straight flip off the NCAA, we'd have to be confident that this is the end of the scandal.

If he doesnt end up here next year or ever again, I am really struggling to see where he ends up. Maybe the NBA as an assistant but I think he likes running the show his way. Maybe as a head coach at a mid major type school but I am not sure if any other college big or small would want him for atleast 3 to 5 years or maybe ever again. Other coaches have had similar issues in the past and coached again but right now in the national eye, most people see Miller as the poster child for what is wrong with college basketball thanks to ESPN.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

My speculation:

Here's where I diverge from your perspective a little (if we all agree some of us are unnecessary)

1. They won't fire, not enough cause and the support seems to indicate this is not the direction
2. Resignation would mean Miller takes a hit $-wise, if he is maintaining his "vindicated" posture this damages his chances of other $
3. Distraction factor is a none issue now because if everything's big nothing is, at this point no way to avoid distraction, play through it.
4. My best guess is yes Miller returns for rest of year (and this applies to #5 as well) at this point ny damage to the program BY Miller as per NCAA is already done, no matter what we do if they have a hammer they are going to use it and it makes no difference which day of the calender they choose to point to, it will always be Millers fault that they are pinning it on...Coaches responsibility dates back to Book, and my best guess is the NCAA is going to be changing the rules and UA is going to get penalized for breaking OLD rules that they will do away with, so depending on how much limp dick they have it doesn't matter what time Miller leaves they will still try to stick it to us because of the Book thing.

We have already passed the threshold of "distraction to the program" what is on the table now is money and Millers future which he is hanging on "vindicated"...he is not going to back down on that posture and I think the house is going to let it ride for now and renegotiate in May once the dust settles...

Think about it this way...suppose he plays out the year and fizzles again in the first round...now the regents could make it about "cause"...

If he wins and the NCAA wants to vacate...same story...

The house is going to hold with the cards they have and try their best to see what cards he is holding...depending on the phone call today they will hold or call his bluff.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EastCoastCat wrote:My preparations for today's news:

- Hand massage this morning for rapid fire F5 all day - CHECK
- Stopped by church and lit a candle for CSM and Zo - CHECK
- Meds taken - CHECK
- Moved all breakable items out of room - CHECK
- Separate computer just for BDW updates - CHECK

Guess I'm ready to go.
If I wasn't someone who always works ahead of schedule, I would be in such a hole at work right now. I can barely function here or at home.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I guess the next hour or two is power hour to get some work done...right? Riiiiight?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

rgdeuce wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:My preparations for today's news:

- Hand massage this morning for rapid fire F5 all day - CHECK
- Stopped by church and lit a candle for CSM and Zo - CHECK
- Meds taken - CHECK
- Moved all breakable items out of room - CHECK
- Separate computer just for BDW updates - CHECK

Guess I'm ready to go.
If I wasn't someone who always works ahead of schedule, I would be in such a hole at work right now. I can barely function here or at home.
That's the good thing about my sales job... I can pay attention to this and just chalk it up to a down week :lol:
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

He was right on Sumlin
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm delivering a lecture on the Byzantine emperor Justinian right now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

jsbowl16 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

My speculation:

If he doesnt end up here next year or ever again, I am really struggling to see where he ends up. Maybe the NBA as an assistant but I think he likes running the show his way. Maybe as a head coach at a mid major type school but I am not sure if any other college big or small would want him for atleast 3 to 5 years or maybe ever again. Other coaches have had similar issues in the past and coached again but right now in the national eye, most people see Miller as the poster child for what is wrong with college basketball thanks to ESPN.
NBA assistant would be the best move if I was advising Miller. In the NBA, paying a player 100k is called Tuesday. No one cares, and he can use the time to decide where he wants to go from there. Or he can just chill and lay low bc he doesn't need money. Depends on whether he wants to work.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Try day-trading the past couple of days. It is impossible to keep up with this volatility, while refreshing the twitter and BDW pages all at once.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:I'm delivering a lecture on the Byzantine emperor Justinian right now.
you put the what in the what?
billk78

Post by billk78 »

I posted something similar. Maybe it's wishful thinking because I have no inside knowledge. But the delay right now could be due to Miller's contract and the firing for cause vs firing with no cause. If they got that wording wrong (which It was reported they did, but I don't know what's true anymore), and this brought it to their attention, they may be working on a re-negotiation of his contract. It may not be year-to-year, but they could change the wording and add some kind of clause to protect U of A IF indeed some kind of sanctions
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:I'm delivering a lecture on the Byzantine emperor Justinian right now.
Will there be snacks?
billk78

Post by billk78 »

btfd16 wrote:
How credible is this? Is that you Mark?
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

billk78 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
this made me lol for sure
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:
For the sake of these students, you all let me know anything I can add about this dude:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PPU = PGU
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

btfd16 wrote: He was right on Sumlin
Wow...

(Guess it’s not power hour. :lol:)
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

its tough getting a chubby every 15 minutes on posted positive news and then to see it go limp again after something else comes to light. This time I hope to blow my wad :)
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
billk78 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
this made me lol for sure
He has been shoddy in the past, actually used this board as a source once or twice. But he was dead on about Sumlin a week before and maintained it even though everyone was overreacting about Ken N and others.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

97cats wrote:
Justhetipinian.
NorCalCat

Post by NorCalCat »

"Mr. Thiel, Sean Miller on line one. Something about an ownership stake in Disney Corp."
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I am sure Miller would settle with ESPN if they gave him the full rights to Star Wars. Should be simple enough.