Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

phenom5

Re: Sean Miller

Post by phenom5 »

So what do we think is coming out of this ABOR meeting?
Lifetime contract?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

BTW the reporter for Sports Illustrated is Michael McCann
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

SI doing actual journalism while Pascoe sits at his desk reading other writer's work.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

NYCat wrote:
ezinaz wrote:SI piles on ESPN:

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... spn-report" target="_blank
As Arizona coach Sean Miller forcibly professed his innocence on Thursday in a statement that affirmed his status with the team, a source familiar with the college hoops corruption investigation confirmed with SI that the details of a wiretapped phone call involving Miller were inaccurately reported in a story by ESPN that said Miller “discussed paying $100,000 to ensure star freshman Deandre Ayton signed with the Wildcats.

According to the source, relevant FBI wiretaps in the investigation did not begin until 2017—months after five-star recruit Deandre Ayton had already committed to Arizona in Sept. 2016. This account is consistent with reporting by Evan Daniels of 247Sports. The recruitment of Ayton, therefore, would have not been at issue in an intercepted phone call that occurred in 2017. To that end, the source told SI what Miller clarified for the first time Thursday: Ayton is not the player on whose behalf former ASM Sports employee Christian Dawkins allegedly sought a payment from Miller, and Miller never pursued or made any payments to a recruit associated with Dawkins.

This account depicts Miller as complying with both the law and NCAA recruiting rules. The same holds true of Ayton, whose compliance with NCAA rules would ensure that he remains eligible to play for the final month of his freshman year.

For his part, Miller made clear on Thursday that he will fight the allegations. In a press conference held at the university, Miller stressed that he had “never paid a recruit or a prospect” and would never do so. He also asserted that he and Ayton have suffered “defamation” by the manner in which the media has reported the allegations. The possibility of Miller and Ayton filing defamation lawsuits is examined more closely below.
Hahahaha
Timed perfectly, non-ESPN entities vs. ESPN.

The worldwide leader has their backs to the ropes.

AND, they just made their THIRD correction to the original story.

WOW
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

This was fun :) but lets not do it again.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:BTW the reporter for Sports Illustrated is Michael McCann
Michael McCannshovehisfootinESPN’sass
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Tonights going to be intense
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Krono wrote:I'm an old photoshop guy from TOS and have been a lurker here for quite awhile... Now is about a good a time as any to start the photoshops up again!? Nice job with the updates everyone.

I WILL BUY
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Where you at now fuck boy Trey Mason
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Krono wrote:I'm an old photoshop guy from TOS and have been a lurker here for quite awhile... Now is about a good a time as any to start the photoshops up again!? Nice job with the updates everyone.

I WILL BUY
Me too!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

SunnyAZ wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:We don't know how much of the ESPN report is accurate. And that network has done zilch to merit any benefit of doubt on the Miller story to date.
Miller did mention he talked to Dawkins in the press conference. I doubt he talked to him about how his day was going.
I'll continue this conversation when you can stop writing in assumptions and personal projections.

I've seen jabbering agent wannabes approach Hassan Adams when he was still a junior and push energy drinks in his face to endorse. Sauce took his stuff, then threw it in the garbage around the corner.

Does that mean Hassan "most likely" discussed improper payments with an agent? Please.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

That was as serious and profound a presser statement as could possibly be produced.

The university and Sean Miller laid down the gauntlet. I'm also confident that you will never hear a public retraction from them scumbags at ESPN because the financial liability would be enormous.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Here's the direct quote:

"I also want you to know that the one time someone suggested to me paying a player to come to the University of Arizona I did not agree to it. It never happened and that player did not come to the University of Arizona. Out of respect for this ongoing investigation and the privacy of the student-athlete and his family, I'm not going to share further details concerning this matter."

Assuming ESPN didn't completely fabricate their story and Miller's comment is a response, this has to be a reference about what does exist on a wire. He acknowledged knowing Dawkins, so it's a fair assumption the wire is with Dawkins. Given that Dawkins was involved in the 100k negotiations with Dawkins...I feel pretty confident that Miller pretty much laid out a Dawkins discussion that it would be 100k for Bowen.
You are kinda missing the whole point of this situation. Why would Dawkins care if a player came to UA? His only job is to get players to sign with his agency. He came to Miller to try to get Ayton to sign with his agency. Hence why the initial report said the convo happened in 2017, which Miller kinda confirmed.

I'm not saying Miller did anything wrong, but I don't think the ESPN report did either. ESPN messed up because they thought it was about getting Ayton to come to UA and that ruined whole story for them. If they had a CBB guy that followed recruiting and the whole FBI scandal report it they might have put two and two together. Unfortunately, for them Schablah got the info.

As far as that Miller quote, I'm pretty sure he was just talking about recruiting in general. That only one time in his career did anyone ever mention to him about paying a player and he turned it down.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Miller pretty clearly said the discussion with Dawkins was not related to a current Arizona player

"...and the player did not come to the University of Arizona".

I mean...you could technically say he never said this and that and this but the intent was pretty clear.
Last edited by EVCat on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Arizona will henceforth be the cleanest program in the NCAA
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

cats101

Post by cats101 »

84Cat wrote:
Hilarious. Everyone freaking out over a footnote.

Man its amazing how this has all turned out. Wanna text my asu bud who blew up my phone this weekend, but I'm going to hold off for now. :)
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

EVCat wrote:Miller pretty clearly said the discussion with Dawkins was not related to a current Arizona player

I mean...you could technically say he never said this and that and this but the intent was pretty clear.
I don't see how you guys are connecting the two things. The thing he said about the one player was to his 'I never have... and never will' point. He wasn't talking about Dawkins in that instance.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Schlabach is in hiding like he was Steve Bartman
Last edited by BE4RDOWN21 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I teared up. I fucking love CSM. NCAA will probably try to fuck us with the seeding, but I'm not sure it matters at this point.
Bosy Billups wrote:PS - even worse, the TIMING of the story, dropped a couple hours after the Yahoo! article.

Q: WHY NOT WAIT A WEEK FOR THE YAHOO REPORT TO PLAY OUT?

Q: DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY JUST GOT THE INFO THAT DAY?

Maybe they did, and it was someone leaking that in order to DEFLECT from the Yahoo! article while taking down another big fish.

This is how it works folks. WAKE UP. Fuck
Agree 100%
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Really hope our guys can get it done for Coach Miller this year. Feel like it would mean more this year than ever before.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Here's the direct quote:

"I also want you to know that the one time someone suggested to me paying a player to come to the University of Arizona I did not agree to it. It never happened and that player did not come to the University of Arizona. Out of respect for this ongoing investigation and the privacy of the student-athlete and his family, I'm not going to share further details concerning this matter."

Assuming ESPN didn't completely fabricate their story and Miller's comment is a response, this has to be a reference about what does exist on a wire. He acknowledged knowing Dawkins, so it's a fair assumption the wire is with Dawkins. Given that Dawkins was involved in the 100k negotiations with Dawkins...I feel pretty confident that Miller pretty much laid out a Dawkins discussion that it would be 100k for Bowen.
You are kinda missing the whole point of this situation. Why would Dawkins care if a player came to UA? His only job is to get players to sign with his agency. He came to Miller to try to get Ayton to sign with his agency. Hence why the initial report said the convo happened in 2017, which Miller kinda confirmed.

I'm not saying Miller did anything wrong, but I don't think the ESPN report did either. ESPN messed up because they thought it was about getting Ayton to come to UA and that ruined whole story for them. If they had a CBB guy that followed recruiting and the whole FBI scandal report it they might have put two and two together. Unfortunately, for them Schablah got the info.

As far as that Miller quote, I'm pretty sure he was just talking about recruiting in general. That only one time in his career did anyone ever mention to him about paying a player and he turned it down.

Here's a direct quote from Sean MIller:

"I have never arranged or directed payment or any improper benefits to a recruit or prospect or their family or representative and I never will."

THIS STATEMENT WOULD INCLUDE DIRECTING AN AGENT/OR FAMILY/OR FUTURE AGENT...

This kinda shoots holes in the theory that his convo with Dawkins about anything other than possibly Bowen as a recruit...it in no way indicates Miller even considered directing any of his players to ASM for Dawkins.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Here's the direct quote:

Dawkins was trying to leverage a quid pro quo situation. Book got nailed because he accepted a bribe intended to obtain Quinerly in exchange for Book steering current players to Dawkins.

Miller is describing Dawkins offering him the same deal. Dawkins gives 100k to Miller to land Bowen, he asks for players to be steered to him in exchange. Maybe he asks about Ayton at that point, but the money wasn't for Miller in the way the Book payment ostensibly wasn't intended for Book.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

SunnyAZ wrote:
EVCat wrote:Miller pretty clearly said the discussion with Dawkins was not related to a current Arizona player

I don't see how you guys are connecting the two things. The thing he said about the one player was to his 'I never have... and never will' point. He wasn't talking about Dawkins in that instance.
He's not at liberty to discuss directly his conversations with Dawkins. Why would he have mentioned a separate conversation about money for a player if it didn't pertain to the Dawkins conversation, which is the cause of this entire episode? Just to invite a new federal inquiry into a previously unknown conversation about money for players that the current investigators don't know about?
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Here's the direct quote:

Idk Dawkins was everywhere in this investigation he's the same kid that got the big dog at adidas to funnel him money for bowen. That was between Louisville and Miami. I almost think he was just hustling and keeping money for his self.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Here's the direct quote:

ESPN did nothing wrong? Good Lord. Are you serious?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

???
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Dawkins was trying to leverage a quid pro quo situation. Book got nailed because he accepted a bribe intended to obtain Quinerly in exchange for Book steering current players to Dawkins.

Miller is describing Dawkins offering him the same deal. Dawkins gives 100k to Miller to land Bowen, he asks for players to be steered to him in exchange. Maybe he asks about Ayton at that point, but the money wasn't for Miller in the way the Book payment ostensibly wasn't intended for Book.
ok, that makes more sense to me.

These agents seem to be wasting money tho, if I recall the NBA guys that got mentioned that they paid didn't even sign with them. I don't see why they just wouldn't use the money to convince their parents or the players themselves to sign.

Agent: "I'll give you 100K to sign with us"

18 year old: "OK"
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Gladiator Cat wrote:That was as serious and profound a presser statement as could possibly be produced.

The university and Sean Miller laid down the gauntlet. I'm also confident that you will never hear a public retraction from them scumbags at ESPN because the financial liability would be enormous.
Yup it was beautiful, just completely boxed them in.

They have some slick lawyers
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Caitlin Schmidt is tweeting the ABOR statements right now as they are being read.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

These agents seem to be wasting money tho, if I recall the NBA guys that got mentioned that they paid didn't even sign with them. I don't see why they just wouldn't use the money to convince their parents or the players themselves to sign.

So Miller makes $4MM a year and net worth probably $20mm, and he's hurting for $100k?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The agents are trying to buy access to a pipeline of players, not an individual player. If they could get access to Arizona players via the single $100k payment, that's better than paying one player $100k.

It's like... my wife is a mortgage loan officer but she doesn't wine and dine people looking to buy homes. She wines and dines the best realtors in the market, because that money pays for a pipeline and not a single one time deal.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

NBA contracts average 10-15 mil a year and an agent get 7% (at least generally). So, each NBA signee is about a million a year.

It's a numbers game. If you drop $100,000 on 10 guys, you can recoup it with a single signee in a single year.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Lofty wrote: ESPN did nothing wrong? Good Lord. Are you serious?
Don't see where you got that from. I said ESPN didn't say Miller did anything wrong. They said he had a discussion about a payment. They didn't say he took a payment. I did say they wrongly reported facts about the situation.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

NBA contracts average 10-15 mil a year and an agent get 7% (at least generally). So, each NBA signee is about a million a year.

It's a numbers game. If you drop $100,000 on 10 guys, you can recoup it with a single signee in a single year.
Not more than 4%, I believe, but point remains.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The agents are trying to buy access to a pipeline of players, not an individual player. If they could get access to Arizona players via the single $100k payment, that's better than paying one player $100k.

It's like... my wife is a mortgage loan officer but she doesn't wine and dine people looking to buy homes. She wines and dines the best realtors in the market, because that money pays for a pipeline and not a single one time deal.

Also this. The money's ability to get in the door with a program is even more than just the individual players too.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So what seed are we looking at now in the fbi NCAA bracket? Had to at least fall to 8 or below now right?

We sure fell from overall number 1 last fri/sat.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ABOR keeping Miller officially!
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Robbins is answering some questions at the ABOR meeting.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CalStateTempe wrote:ABOR keeping Miller officially!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ARRREEE THE CHAAMMMPIOOOONSSSS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bear Down. F*** Bitches. Get to the Final Four.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wife txted after the pressor (which she had to have been watching cause I was engrossed). “Well there is only one more thing left for you guys to do!”
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:ABOR keeping Miller officially!
Boom
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EVCat wrote:
cpt wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Also, ESPN is standing by this reporting:

Someone told our reporter something.

Sure, that could be true. Now is it good journalism to print salacious and career ending allegations without evidence or confirmation? No - it's fucking not.
They aint in the game for good journalism, they are in for "reputation-making stories" for reporters, and eyeballs, add revenue, etc.

YOU MSM FAKE NEWS DENIERS, where art thou? This is how it works! Destroy a man with little recourse. Fuck
lol.
What we learned is ESPN is a far cry from The New York Times, Washington Post and, hell, even Yahoo.
Plus...it stands out because MSM does not make these kind of mistakes often.

Same cannot be said about web -only outlets that cater to one side or the other.
Not sure about that my dude. Hate that my links had to involve politics in this glorious thread at this glorious time; nothing else came to mind when I was trying to find something that was even close to the same level of what CSM is going through. Just for reference, I wont be engaging in the political stuff in here.

(NYT) http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/15/media/n ... index.html" target="_blank
(CNN) https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/busi ... mucci.html" target="_blank
(6 More CNN) http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/08/7-tim ... s-in-2017/" target="_blank
(Washington Post) https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleeta ... 3bc5827ad5" target="_blank
(ABC) http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/01/media/a ... index.html" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

rgdeuce wrote: Not sure about that my dude. Hate that my links had to involve politics in this glorious thread at this glorious time; nothing else came to mind when I was trying to find something that was even close to the same level of what CSM is going through. Just for reference, I wont be engaging in the political stuff in here.

(NYT) http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/15/media/n ... index.html" target="_blank
(CNN) https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/busi ... mucci.html" target="_blank
(6 More CNN) http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/08/7-tim ... s-in-2017/" target="_blank
(Washington Post) https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleeta ... 3bc5827ad5" target="_blank
(ABC) http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/01/media/a ... index.html" target="_blank
Don't do this shit.

Referencing the fucking DailyCaller as a source on what is "Fake News" is fucking rich with irony though.

Yeah, you know what - don't do this shit.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Caitlin twitter:
"Robbins: Multiple questions posed to Miller over several days, face-to-face discussions, and information from FBI/DOJ/UA investigations convinced Robbins that Miller did nothing wrong."

This fucking HUGE.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Some SJWs about to get TRIGGERED. Duck!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
That is basically 100% of the best we could ask for in this situation.