Non-Pac-12 Game Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Non-Pac-12 Game Thread

Post by Chicat »

Phylek wrote:11 points in the 2nd half for Northwestern.

This is what coasting to a loss looks like.

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Down goes Sparty.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I thought this Big 10 tourney was going off a bit early.

https://detroitjockcity.com/2018/02/26/ ... g-mistake/" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Kansas Down 19 with 52 seconds left to nt-ntosu.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CalStateTempe wrote:Kansas Down 19 with 52 seconds left to nt-ntosu.
They're in tournament form a bit early
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

They locked up over all number one with that showing today.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

azgreg wrote:I thought this Big 10 tourney was going off a bit early.

https://detroitjockcity.com/2018/02/26/ ... g-mistake/" target="_blank
That's a big mistake. I didn't even know they were in their conference tourney until today. Playing with the mid-majors.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The big 10 commissioner wanted it this weekend on purpose. Just so they could play in Madison square garden. Big East had the arena booked for next week so they purposely rescheduled their entire season to go to MSG.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

when did the big ten move up their conf tournament a week??

so the teams have two weeks off??
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

For some reason they wanted to play at MSG. Since the ACC/Big East tournaments are also in NY next week this was the only chance they had to schedule the tournament.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Hey guys, what do you think of this Pitt-Notre Dame conference tournament game going on now?
prh

Post by prh »

Longhorned wrote:Hey guys, what do you think of this Pitt-Notre Dame conference tournament game going on now?
Well I can't find it in the guide so I'm guessing it's on ESPN...

that's the extent of my thoughts
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Hey guys, what do you think of this Pitt-Notre Dame conference tournament game going on now?
Pitt has fallen really, really, really far.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I watched Pitt play at 2 in the afternoon on a Tuesday.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So Gonzaga now has 30 wins and is poised to win their league tourney. Sorta think we need at least two wins in the Pac tourney to earn a higher seed than them.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Beachcat97 wrote:So Gonzaga now has 30 wins and is poised to win their league tourney. Sorta think we need at least two wins in the Pac tourney to earn a higher seed than them.
I think they are a 3 seed. Our only chance of a 3 seed is winning in Vegas and hoping Texas Tech and Tennessee don't make the finals.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TatetheGreat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:So Gonzaga now has 30 wins and is poised to win their league tourney. Sorta think we need at least two wins in the Pac tourney to earn a higher seed than them.
I think they are a 3 seed. Our only chance of a 3 seed is winning in Vegas and hoping Texas Tech and Tennessee don't make the finals.
Gonzaga is 26 in RPI, 122 in SOS. Not really 3 seed material. They're 8th in BPI, so there's that, but I'm not sure their conference tourney title earns them a 3.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
Gonzaga is 26 in RPI, 122 in SOS. Not really 3 seed material. They're 8th in BPI, so there's that, but I'm not sure their conference tourney title earns them a 3.

Good point. Gonzaga's a good team, though. #7 according to KenPom. #11 AdjO and #15 AdjD.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TatetheGreat wrote:
Most polls out have the Zags as a 5.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Gonzaga is playing extremely weill. I really hope the UofA does not get paired with them.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

We have no room to bitch about seeding if Gonzaga is a 5 and we don't win our conference tourney.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:We have no room to bitch about seeding if Gonzaga is a 5 and we don't win our conference tourney.
Yeah but I wish we could play BYU for the Championship too!

If we Play ASU(again), UCLA, and USC to win it, then deserve consideration for a higher seed (#3) over Gonzaga.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If we win the Pac tourney, I think we’re the 3 in the West.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:If we win the Pac tourney, I think we’re the 3 in the West.
Agreed!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

We're closer to being a #5 seed right now, at best we're hovering the 4/5 border. I think winning it solidifies us being a #4. Both Michigan schools are looking at #3 seeds. Auburn and/or Tennessee will get the remaining spots. If both of those sec teams perform horribly in the conference tournament then Arizona has a chance. in the end I think we're stuck with a #4, we don't have the quadrant wins to move up. And the committee doesn't account for the last 10 games played, it's the whole season.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:
We're closer to being a #5 seed right now, at best we're hovering the 4/5 border. I think winning it solidifies us being a #4. Both Michigan schools are looking at #3 seeds. Auburn and/or Tennessee will get the remaining spots. If both of those sec teams perform horribly in the conference tournament then Arizona has a chance. in the end I think we're stuck with a #4, we don't have the quadrant wins to move up. And the committee doesn't account for the last 10 games played, it's the whole season.
Michigan may’ve played themselves up to the 2 line last week, and MSU’s belly flop in the Big 10 tourney makes them vulnerable to drop one line.

Again, win the Pac tourney, and we’re the 3 in the West. We’d be reg season champs, tourney champs, with an RPI in the 10-15 range.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

NYCat wrote:
If they truly consider the whole season - then they need to consider injured players at the time of loses and losing 3 games in a span of 48 hours in the first three weeks of the season.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Michigan may’ve played themselves up to the 2 line last week, and MSU’s belly flop in the Big 10 tourney makes them vulnerable to drop one line.

Again, win the Pac tourney, and we’re the 3 in the West. We’d be reg season champs, tourney champs, with an RPI in the 10-15 range.
If Michigan is a 2, Purdue is a 3. It's the same thing. Arizona would still be a 4.

1s: Villanova, Virginia, Kansas, Xavier
2s: Duke, UNC, Purdue, Cincinnati
3s: Michigan State, Michigan, Auburn, Tennessee

One of the SEC schools will get at least one spot likely Auburn with 7 Q1 wins.

Auburn, West Virginia has 7 Q1 wins
Tennessee, Texas Tech has 5 Q1 wins
Arizona has 3 Q1 wins

I think we're screwed and stuck at the 4 because of the lack of Q1 wins, Texas Tech & WVU will likely be ahead of us for the last spot if Tennessee somehow doesn't get it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
NYCat wrote:

If Michigan is a 2, Purdue is a 3. It's the same thing. Arizona would still be a 4.

1s: Villanova, Virginia, Kansas, Xavier
2s: Duke, UNC, Purdue, Cincinnati
3s: Michigan State, Michigan, Auburn, Tennessee

One of the SEC schools will get at least one spot likely Auburn with 7 Q1 wins.

Auburn, West Virginia has 7 Q1 wins
Tennessee, Texas Tech has 5 Q1 wins
Arizona has 3 Q1 wins

I think we're screwed and stuck at the 4 because of the lack of Q1 wins, Texas Tech & WVU will likely be ahead of us for the last spot if Tennessee somehow doesn't get it.
All good points, NYC. A 4 may be the best we can hope for. Still a lot of basketball to be played before Sunday. We'll see.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The one thing that might help Arizona is the committee sometimes moves a team up or down one spot for regional consideration.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm watching this SMU team play Cincinnati right now, with their flailing, porous defense and anemic half-court offense. Hard to believe that team beat Arizona.

Lee, Barcello, Randolph, and Akot combined for 49 minutes. Pinder played 23 minutes, and Smith 17.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

12:11 to go in the second half, and Alabama has outscored Auburn 20-1 in those 7 minutes and 49 seconds.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Collin Sexton is above average
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This Xavier providence game is NUTS. Providence came back from 17 down to tie it
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Wow. Kyrin Cartwright with one of the biggest defensive plays you'll ever see taking that charge. Classic game.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Grand Canyon making a serious challenge for a tourney berth from the WAC, downing higher seed Utah Valley by 15 tonight.

This was across town from the P12 tourney in the Orleans, where the 'Lopes could get the automatic bid tomorrow night and win the conference tourney.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

catgrad97 wrote:Grand Canyon making a serious challenge for a tourney berth from the WAC, downing higher seed Utah Valley by 15 tonight.

This was across town from the P12 tourney in the Orleans, where the 'Lopes could get the automatic bid tomorrow night and win the conference tourney.

GCU in and ASU out would be so freaking sweet.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

that'd be hilarious

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:Grand Canyon making a serious challenge for a tourney berth from the WAC, downing higher seed Utah Valley by 15 tonight.

The amount of humor I'd find in ASU falling from their cocky days into not even being the best CBB team in their own city would be tremendous.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

And even more likely with two more regular-season conference winners going belly-up in their tournament semifinals tonight:

Cal-Davis (Big West #1) lost to Cal-State Fullerton tonight; and

Nevada (Mountain West #1) got boatraced earlier today by a #5 seed, San Diego State.

Those are TWO Mid-Major conferences west of the Rockies guaranteeing their automatic bids to lower seeds.

And that's not even mentioning Xavier (Big East #1), one of ASU's two "at-large" resume-builders, going out early to Providence.

And yet some Tempe fan is going to try and make their case to be in anyway?

I look forward to Bobby Hurley whining and ranting at everyone but himself on Selection Sunday. Devils are on the WRONG side of this bubble.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catgrad97 wrote:And even more likely with two more regular-season conference winners going belly-up in their tournament semifinals tonight:

Cal-Davis (Big West #1) lost to Cal-State Fullerton tonight; and

Nevada (Mountain West #1) got boatraced earlier today by a #5 seed, San Diego State.

Those are TWO Mid-Major conferences west of the Rockies guaranteeing their automatic bids to lower seeds.

And that's not even mentioning Xavier (Big East #1), one of ASU's two "at-large" resume-builders, going out early to Providence.

And yet some Tempe fan is going to try and make their case to be in anyway?

I look forward to Bobby Hurley whining and ranting at everyone but himself on Selection Sunday. Devils are on the WRONG side of this bubble.
good point. those mid major upsets potentially are taking asu's spot away.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

This never gets old
AZCatGirl wrote:
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

MWC is now getting 2 bids due to the Nevada loss. One less bubble team
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

And if all that wasn't good enough news tonight, guys, Grayson Allen just fumbled away the game for Duke in their ACC semi against Carolina. :D
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

And unc was doing all they could to choke away that double digit lead in the last 2 min.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Frybry02 wrote:MWC is now getting 2 bids due to the Nevada loss. One less bubble team
SEC is also likely getting an extra bid now. Alabama destroyed top-seeded Auburn by 18 earlier today.

Losing the first game of your conference tourney is NEVER a good look; I don't care who does it. It was auspicious when Lute did it in '03, and it is a red flag for ASU now.

Devils are out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Under random people pulling super dirty plays...

https://mobile.twitter.com/barstoolku/s ... 3326836737" target="_blank
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Under random people pulling super dirty plays...

Wow, I’ve never seen a play like that. That’s up there with Billy Blanks pulling out a gun on the football field and shooting three would be tacklers on the way to the end zone in the Last Boy Scout.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Under random people pulling super dirty plays...

WTF! I hope that kid is ok. That dumbass should never be allowed to put on a jersey again