SunnyAZ

Re: Sean Miller

Post by SunnyAZ »

NYCat wrote:Dawn of the end
hopefully
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

It breaks my heart but it’s time to move on.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

hopefully
elriop20

Post by elriop20 »

It's called "ZONE" defense sean, his hard head doesn't help this team win
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Miller is going through a lot right now, and then he coaches a real crap game to boot. Will be an interesting offseason for sure. I'd peg Miller staying at 25%.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

We are all done here..
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

SunnyAZ wrote:
hopefully
Even if it's not this year, the wheels are already falling apart and it'll be time soon.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

he may flatline with that PG he rode two seasons too long.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gotta think that with this result, the investigation, no recruits coming in next year and losing all 5 starters that he's gone. going to be a completely different program within a month or two.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Yes, I am quoting myself.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

97cats wrote:he may flatline with that PG he rode two seasons too long.
Bingo. This is probably the number one problem. A lot of people saying it's not Miller it's the players. Well, he put the team together. He runs a system thats based on playing hard defensively and scoring in transition, yet he recruits 2 guards who can't move their feet on defense. Then when he does recruit a star he's unable to find ways to get them the ball. That's coaching plain and simple. But this team didn't give much effort all year.

But riding PJC when he obviously was not the answer (I don't even blame PJC for his physical limitations, but lack of effort was a problem) was such a huge mistake.

I think they part ways and we are in for a rebuild.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Gotta think that with this result, the investigation, no recruits coming in next year and losing all 5 starters that he's gone. going to be a completely different program within a month or two.
Watching that game in the second half sure felt like the end of an era
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If I was Miller I would just take a year off to rest up and get your mojo back. It's gone.

This may be the end of Arizona basketball being elite as we know it.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I hate to say it but Miller needs to leave for the good of the program

We just need to move on at this point and start over from scratch

Will suck and the road is dark but I see no other way
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Cant play two 7 footers and hope to stop penetration in a man defense. Duke figured that out half way through the season. We still havent.
Last edited by jsbowl16 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

If this is the end for Miller here, it really was his brutal guard play throughout his entire tenure that kept him out of the final 4.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I hope Miller leaves quickly (assuming he's leaving) so the U of A has a shot at recruiting a viable replacement...

... but, the near future sure looks bleak, doesn't it?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:I hate to say it but Miller needs to leave for the good of the program

I tend to agree. I'd like to keep him, but between all the drama and the investigation and his relationship with the pac 12...it's probably time. Who knows who we'll get to coach and we'll probably be an NIT level team for the next 2-3 seasons at best...but hey maybe in like 2022 we can get back to the tournament.

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Abrahamarvel wrote:Miller needs to go.
....NOT
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
billk78

Post by billk78 »

UALoco wrote:Yes, I am quoting myself.
I dont think it will take 5 years.

But to be honest...I'll take 2 years of hard working players who give it their all over what I watched the last two seasons. If a rebuild is what it takes to get back to being a hard nosed team I'm all for it. We need leaders and guys who will play 3-4 years.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

I'd be surprised if Miller doesn't walk.

Lute needs to ask, after the Warriors win another title, Kerr to save the program. Or Luke. Play the death card, I don't care. What's the point of having this huge Arizona basketball tree if they won't come back to save the roots. Kerr has nothing to prove in the NBA. Done it all.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

pc in NM wrote:I hope Miller leaves quickly (assuming he's leaving) so the U of A has a shot at recruiting a viable replacement...

... but, the near future sure looks bleak, doesn't it?
It did in '08 too

The fundamentals of the program, that which makes it strong, are still there
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Anyone who thinks this team is going to magically be respectable next year is seriously diluted.

We got a dark couple of years ahead of us. The bloom is without question off this programs rose.

This is a hard one to take because we literally imploded and looked hapless against a 13 seed for all the nation to see.

The team and coaching staff may be unrecognizable next year.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Who knows. These NCAA changes are gonna be a big change this offseason, once implemented doubt the NCAA is going to drop the hammer much. But if Miller can't recruit due to ongoing scandal, we may be forced to get someone in here who can, under the assumption we won't be facing any major sanctions. On that last part, it complicates the hiring considerably.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I don't even care about the FBI stuff or no recruits. If I thought he was a good coach I would still want him, but that is not the case.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ZONACAT wrote:I'd be surprised if Miller doesn't walk.

Lute needs to ask, after the Warriors win another title, Kerr to save the program. Or Luke. Play the death card, I don't care. What's the point of having this huge Arizona basketball tree if they won't come back to save the roots. Kerr has nothing to prove in the NBA. Done it all.
Never happening in a million years

Literally never happening
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Newportcat wrote:I hate to say it but Miller needs to leave for the good of the program

I don't think Miller needs to go. But I think he will on his own accord. . Arizona fans are spoiled shits if they think a coach who wins 78 percent of his games needs to go.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

SunnyAZ wrote:I don't even care about the FBI stuff or no recruits. If I thought he was a good coach I would still want him, but that is not the case.
He's a good recruiter and an above average coach.
The problem is he doesn't recruit the right players for his system.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This is where I'm at.

I don't have much else to say at this point.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

SunnyAZ wrote:I don't even care about the FBI stuff or no recruits. If I thought he was a good coach I would still want him, but that is not the case.
Miller is a fucking fantastic coach.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Anyone who thinks this team is going to magically be respectable next year is seriously diluted.

We got a dark couple of years ahead of us. The bloom is without question off this programs rose.

This is a hard one to take because we literally imploded and looked hapless against a 13 seed for all the nation to see.

The team and coaching staff may be unrecognizable next year.
i sadly fully expect the next 2-3 seasons to be ones where an NIT bid and top 6 finish in the Pac 12 would be a wild success.

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Who knows. These NCAA changes are gonna be a big change this offseason, once implemented doubt the NCAA is going to drop the hammer much. But if Miller can't recruit due to ongoing scandal, we may be forced to get someone in here who can, under the assumption we won't be facing any major sanctions. On that last part, it complicates the hiring considerably.
No one is going to be able to recruit here for a couple of years.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

jsbowl16 wrote:Cant play two 7 footers and hope to stop penetration in a man defense.
that beat down was all about buffalo abusing az’s guards, specifally Cartwright who was targeted at tip on both ends of the floor.

their plan was to attack him with Clark and it worked. Clark mentioned that he was gonna take it to Cartwright and alluded that he wasn’t able to handle the physical pressure.

it looked just like Xavier and which st ...Miller road PJC and is the one to blame for this, Cartwright was never the horse to ride but Arizona went all in.

and yet here we are again....same story
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Newportcat wrote:

I find this hard to believe. If this were Duke or UNC, those guys would run back. Why wouldn't they for Lute?
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

Nothing is as ever as good or as bad it seems. Take a few days...

Reset with Miller or without him but it’s never that bad. We have the baseline as a program. The history the money and the fanbae and facilities.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Anyone saying we should have played zone has taken one too many bong rips tonight. Did you see the way that team shot?

Loss is on our guards poor defense, poor shooting, and poor entry passes. And a big part of that is on Miller because he's the one who chose to go with PJC and other poor defenders in a system that required pressure defense. But let's not sit here and say the refusal to play zone was an issue today...it wasnt.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ZONACAT wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

I find this hard to believe. If this were Duke or UNC, those guys would run back. Why wouldn't they for Lute?
because Kerr has vehemently said over and over again for years now that he would never coach in college

prh

Post by prh »

Luke is never coaching college. Big pay cut for an vastly more difficult job. Same goes for Steve, plus coaching the greatest team ever assembled.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

97cats wrote:
jsbowl16 wrote:Cant play two 7 footers and hope to stop penetration in a man defense.
that beat down was all about buffalo abusing az’s guards, specifally Cartwright who was targeted at tip on both ends of the floor.

their plan was to attack him with Clark and it worked. Clark mentioned that he was gonna take it to Cartwright and alluded that he wasn’t able to handle the physical pressure.

it looked just like Xavier and which st ...Miller road PJC and is the one to blame for this, Cartwright was never the horse to ride but Arizona went all in.

and yet here we are again....same story
So, can you give us some thoughts/insights on the future.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Just feel a little indifferent to Miller right now. Not sure he will ever get it done here but a little afraid to get rid of a coach that constantly wins except in the tournament.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ZONACAT wrote:
Agreed. Man I hope he stays so we can see what he will do with mid major talent that fits his scheme for a while

Also, I find it ironic that it looked like we forgot how to attack man to man defense, since we have been having only zone for what feels like forever. Ironic because we torched zones all year
billk78

Post by billk78 »

DrWildcat wrote:Just feel a little indifferent to Miller right now. Not sure he will ever get it done here but a little afraid to get rid of a coach that constantly wins except in the tournament.
I think a lot of people feel the same. But throw in the whole FBI thing and that makes me lean towards moving in a different direction.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
ZONACAT wrote:
Agreed. Man I hope he stays so we can see what he will do with mid major talent that fits his scheme for a while

Also, I find it ironic that it looked like we forgot how to attack man to man defense, since we have been having only zone for what feels like forever. Ironic because we torched zones all year
Im still puzzled why he couldnt recruit guys that fit his scheme. It's U of A.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Feel bad for Miller. Up until last 2 years, did an elite job. Just not the way to go out. Think he retires as he hinted in the past was tired of missing his family, the grind, etc. It was a good run.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

billk78 wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:Just feel a little indifferent to Miller right now. Not sure he will ever get it done here but a little afraid to get rid of a coach that constantly wins except in the tournament.
I think a lot of people feel the same. But throw in the whole FBI thing and that makes me lean towards moving in a different direction.
it's not where I want to go really and short term it is going to suck a lot, but long term...we just gotta nuke the entire thing from space and rebuild again like it's 1983.

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ZONACAT wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

Kerr hates college coaching, he's said it so many times. Thinks it's dirty.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... -suspended" target="_blank
“There’s a reason I coach in the NBA,” said Kerr, whose Golden State Warriors won their second title in three years in June. “I never wanted to be a college coach.”

“I don’t immerse myself in that stuff. The NBA is very pure,” he said. “We don’t want to make apologies or concessions about what we’re doing. We’re just playing basketball. It’s a business. And the NCAA obviously has lots of things to figure out on many levels who they are and what they’re doing.”
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ZONACAT wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

because Kerr has vehemently said over and over again for years now that he would never coach in college
Coaches lie. I find it really hard to believe that they are going to sit and let the program rot under some mid major schmuck. I don't want to believe it. Maybe it is true, and NBA money is all that matters to them, but I don't want to believe it.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

billk78 wrote:
Exactly where I am at.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

ZONACAT wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

Kerr can’t handle it physically. Even when he could, why work that hard when you’ve already been to the mountaintop. Luke? To paraphrase, how you gonna keep him down in the Sonoran Desert when he’s seen the lights of LA?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ZONACAT wrote:
And because he put his faith in a man that many encouraged him to let go we are absolutely fucked on the recruiting trail for who knows how long.

If this FBI stuff didn't happen I'd agree with you, but there's no quick recovery for the situation we're in. It's honestly probably best for both Miller and Arizona to part ways. The next coach is meaningless. If he works out great, if he doesn't then the following coach is the real Miller replacement anyways.