Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bosy Billups

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Bosy Billups »

Well, hmm, looks like Pitt is meeting tomorrow to re-evaluate Miller. Maybe they come to their senses with booster pressure.

Wonder if the ACC power (i.e., K, Roy) will allow him in. That's probably the question.

We should start a new HC thread because I can definitely seeing them land Miller as early as tomorrow.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Bosy Billups wrote:Well, hmm, looks like Pitt is meeting tomorrow to re-evaluate Miller. Maybe they come to their senses with booster pressure.

Wonder if the ACC power (i.e., K, Roy) will allow him in. That's probably the question.

We should start a new HC thread because I can definitely seeing them land Miller as early as tomorrow.
Source?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

PHXCATS wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:Well, hmm, looks like Pitt is meeting tomorrow to re-evaluate Miller. Maybe they come to their senses with booster pressure.

Source?
Just smoke on Twitter, but it just makes sense with everything we're hearing, the statement, the position Pitt is in, etc.

Why is there only a 500k buyout btw? Not at least 5mm to pursue another coach?

Musselman may be the target, what's his buyout?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:Let's have some intellectual honesty here. Lute was able to change after '93 because Ed Stokes was a senior. So it certainly made the decision to go small very easy. Lute went with a three guard lineup. The same issues prevalent in '92 with Rooks & Stokes were still there in '93. And if Stokes had another year of eligibility in '94, does Lute go small?

The opportunity for a more athletic team is there for Miller with Ristic gone & a better point guard next season.
Either way Olson made a conscience decision to go away from the twin tower set up at his own free will and decided to recruit a different type of player.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Pitt offered Dan Hurley more money than UConn but he spurned them. It will be interesting to see what they do now. I don't think they pursue Miller for the same reasons many here want him gone. The best case scenario is still Sean stepping down to take care of his health. The cough is worse and we all see he has gained weight. There's no way he's going to coach his best basketball next season. Too much stress for anyone to be effective at his job.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

TatetheGreat wrote:

Pitt offered Dan Hurley more money than UConn but he spurned them. It will be interesting to see what they do now. I don't think they pursue Miller for the same reasons many here want him gone. The best case scenario is still Sean stepping down to take care of his health. The cough is worse and we all see he has gained weight. There's no way he's going to coach his best basketball next season. Too much stress for anyone to be effective at his job.
The weight, he's back to his normal stuff. The cough though, is that a condition or a tick? He had that with TJMC, no way that's a barometer of his health lol
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Bosy Billups wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:

The weight, he's back to his normal stuff. The cough though, is that a condition or a tick? He had that with TJMC, no way that's a barometer of his health lol
You're right. I'm not a MD. I hope he is 100% and takes the Pitt job.
prh

Post by prh »

Bosy Billups wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:

Borrowed Amy's allergies
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

midnightx wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I think it is total bs, but there is a lot of chatter today in Phoenix about Miller to the Suns
Can’t see it. Ayton to the Suns, yes. If the Suns are able to draft Ayton and bring in Aaron Gordon in the offseason as rumored, I may have to start watching them again.
Ayton
Gordon
Booker
Jackson

Just need a point guard and that's scary.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

dcZONAfan wrote:
midnightx wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I think it is total bs, but there is a lot of chatter today in Phoenix about Miller to the Suns
Can’t see it. Ayton to the Suns, yes. If the Suns are able to draft Ayton and bring in Aaron Gordon in the offseason as rumored, I may have to start watching them again.
Ayton
Gordon
Booker
Jackson

Golden State isn't scared, neither are the 76'ers with that...
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I'm seeing a correlation between PJC/Miller and The Shoe Dribbler/Lute.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Bosy Billups wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Ayton
Gordon
Booker
Jackson

Golden State isn't scared, neither are the 76'ers with that...
You thought I meant next year? That team is like 22 years old on average
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I assume his throat is shot from all of the screaming
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Musselman is getting punked right now. He's definitely the new Alford of the Mountain West.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

TatetheGreat wrote:Musselman is getting punked right now. He's definitely the new Alford of the Mountain West.
they were down double digits in both their games so far and came back
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Me thinks with his NBA resume and character, Musselman can pull 4 and 5 star recruits quite easily in the Pac-12. Does he have a system or emphasis?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That meeting is just a "we missed on Hurley" meeting.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Don't think so, the boosters and fans want Miller to revive that program. It's a perfect scenario worth the risk. And he only has a 500k Buyout? WTF!

That is the biggest malpractice committed in contract writing ever. Seriously, 500k?

Well, for the folks on here who don't want him to stay, maybe it's a blessing.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Bosy Billups wrote:Me thinks with his NBA resume and character, Musselman can pull 4 and 5 star recruits quite easily in the Pac-12. Does he have a system or emphasis?
Nevada looks a lot like ASU. Lots of chucking. Loyola is playing great team ball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bosy Billups wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Don't think so, the boosters and fans want Miller to revive that program. It's a perfect scenario worth the risk. And he only has a 500k Buyout? WTF!

That is the biggest malpractice committed in contract writing ever. Seriously, 500k?

Is there actual confirmation, because I have not seen any of that. Any time Pitt has an open job, Miller's name comes up, but there's a difference between Schlabach sources and real info.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

What are chances Xavier makes a run at CSM if Mack goes to Louisville?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Is there actual confirmation, because I have not seen any of that. Any time Pitt has an open job, Miller's name comes up, but there's a difference between Schlabach sources and real info.
This smells real. You have to do the independent math on your own, but look at the scenario: Miller actively courted Pitt. Pitt went after Hurley but got embarrassed. They are in dire straights, coming off an 0'fer. Miller does not want to rebuild again at Arizona but he would do it with a fresh start at his old school in the east to rehab his rep. Miller's statement was not an endorsement of Arizona. There is no buyout issue. The boosters and fans want Miller back. Pitt has no one even close to his caliber and will bend to believe his FBI clearance and justify it by saying Arizona backed him, so we will too. It all makes sense. The smoke is there. It's going down tomorrow on a Friday IMO. I'd put 4 digits on it.
Last edited by Bosy Billups on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Postmaster wrote:What are chances Xavier makes a run at CSM if Mack goes to Louisville?
What are the chances you get back together with your girlfriend after she dumped you to go date Derek Jeter and now she’s done with him and is bringing his herpes with her?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Will she bring the gift basket with her?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Postmaster wrote:What are chances Xavier makes a run at CSM if Mack goes to Louisville?
Their fans seem to expect Travis Steele will be promoted if Mack leaves. He is their senior recruiter/associate head coach. Apparently he attended Butler but did not play basketball in college.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Thank you
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bosy Billups wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

This smells real. You have to do the independent math on your own, but look at the scenario: Miller actively courted Pitt. Pitt went after Hurley but got embarrassed. They are in dire straights, coming off an 0'fer. Miller does not want to rebuild again at Arizona but he would do it with a fresh start at his old school in the east to rehab his rep. Miller's statement was not an endorsement of Arizona. There is no buyout issue. The boosters and fans want Miller back. Pitt has no one even close to his caliber and will bend to believe his FBI clearance and justify it by saying Arizona backed him, so we will too. It all makes sense. The smoke is there. It's going down tomorrow on a Friday IMO. I'd put 4 digits on it.
I feel like you should.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Down goes Nevada
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What I'm seeing is this Pitt meeting has been scheduled for a while now.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Maybe they make a run for Musselman?

Doubt it. It's Miller folks. He gone

Miles Simon Time at Arizona!
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well good for Pitt and sucks for AZ. We get what we hoped for, watch. Now next year will really suck and a couple coaches down the road we will get our footing back
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

azcat49 wrote:Well good for Pitt and sucks for AZ. We get what we hoped for, watch. Now next year will really suck and a couple coaches down the road we will get our footing back
Agree, with Sumlin, he revives football and distracts. Basketball gets a retread coach (i.e. Alford caliber) for the next 3-4 years, he buries the program into irrelevance, and then we're ready for a new up and coming hire who has nothing but upside and brings Arizona back to dominating the west, say 2024. That's how this plays out.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Just get KO, Simon and Pastner back.

Joking
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Why isn't a Pitt going after Ben Howland?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Mack to interview @ Louisville?

Miller might take a step up to Xavier....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

If Miller goes back to Pitt and we avoid his buyout and leaves on his own terms and then we can get a new coach....would be to me the best situation for us

I still think you call few and throw crazy money at him and then if that doesn’t work get musselman

I personally think this would be best outcome given circumstances for everyone

Would be happy for Miller to get back east to his alma mater to a lower pressure job and for us to move on from the shit storm of Book.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
prh

Post by prh »

Nevada's Martin twins should both be on track to grad transfer this summer.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

No need to jump to conclusions based on a Pitt blog post.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

midnightx wrote:No need to jump to conclusions based on a Pitt blog post.
Stop being reasonable. There’s no room for that at a time like this. :lol:
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TheCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Whats wrong with a subpar recruiting class and a different approach? The Great recruits have n ot gotten us very far and everyone is shouting for "change"...well here it is motherfuckers...change...it might be better than you imagine.
I mean that doesn't show any growth though does it? So ultimately our great answer to our current failures on the court is to recruit less talented players to play Miller ball as opposed to recruiting the most talented players and adapting to their strengths/weaknesses? Good christ I wish I could get $3.5 million per to just run a written out system.

This isn't planned change either, it's forced upon us change. There's a huge difference between doing some self reflection and changing course willingly and merely waking up one and and saying well shit we're stuck doing it this way now so let's roll with it I guess. One you genuinely want to do and the other you're stuck doing. The psychology of that certainly matters.

Bear Down with Miller Ball and Ehhhhh players though!
You can get $3.5M. Just win your conference, the tourney and average 30 wins per year over the last 5 years and you will have NO PROBLEM getting that money. This place is incredible. Win your conference by two full games (extremely rare) and you get this. We had a disappointing tournament after a year of turmoil. Nut up and get back to work.
Where did Lute Olson finish in conference the year his team lost to Santa Clara? A game which gave him a huge moment of clarity, where he reflected and decided to change his approach completely on his own free will that eventually led to a national title? Remind me. Did we win the conference by 6 games that year or was it only 5?
Well it wasn't 6 or 5. Maybe this is the year Sean gets his moment of clarity and makes the subtle changes that will help. But lets be clear....he wins more than any coach in Arizona's history (although a easier schedule makes that easier) and he works as hard as any coach in the country. Last night he had home visits with two recruits.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
I don't see what choice we have other than to leap to conclusions. Miller is gone, and we are replacing him with whoever is in the front of my mind at this moment.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

At this point I'm just looking more forward to football. Just tired of the basketball program soap opera. I just feel like CSM isn't going to be our coach next year. At this point I'm conflicted whether I think it's better for him to stay or go. I've always liked CSM but I just don't know who to believe in this whole ordeal. Sometimes you have to look at someone and honestly assess whether they're more of an asset or more of a liability. It will be tough for me to see CSM go but I just think it's the best course of action for himself and the U of A going forward.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
TheCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Whats wrong with a subpar recruiting class and a different approach? The Great recruits have n ot gotten us very far and everyone is shouting for "change"...well here it is motherfuckers...change...it might be better than you imagine.
I mean that doesn't show any growth though does it? So ultimately our great answer to our current failures on the court is to recruit less talented players to play Miller ball as opposed to recruiting the most talented players and adapting to their strengths/weaknesses? Good christ I wish I could get $3.5 million per to just run a written out system.

This isn't planned change either, it's forced upon us change. There's a huge difference between doing some self reflection and changing course willingly and merely waking up one and and saying well shit we're stuck doing it this way now so let's roll with it I guess. One you genuinely want to do and the other you're stuck doing. The psychology of that certainly matters.

Bear Down with Miller Ball and Ehhhhh players though!
You can get $3.5M. Just win your conference, the tourney and average 30 wins per year over the last 5 years and you will have NO PROBLEM getting that money. This place is incredible. Win your conference by two full games (extremely rare) and you get this. We had a disappointing tournament after a year of turmoil. Nut up and get back to work.
Where did Lute Olson finish in conference the year his team lost to Santa Clara? A game which gave him a huge moment of clarity, where he reflected and decided to change his approach completely on his own free will that eventually led to a national title? Remind me. Did we win the conference by 6 games that year or was it only 5?
Well it wasn't 6 or 5. Maybe this is the year Sean gets his moment of clarity and makes the subtle changes that will help. But lets be clear....he wins more than any coach in Arizona's history (although a easier schedule makes that easier) and he works as hard as any coach in the country. Last night he had home visits with two recruits.
Look it up, Arizona won the conference by 5 games in the 1992-1993 season.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Pitt is so desperate to be relevant in football/men's basketball. I wouldn't believe anything coming from the Pittsburgh media, they're a mouthpiece for the athletic department.

As others noted, Hurley turned them down and I seriously doubt they were even a consideration.

Who knows what happens with Miller, just playing devil's advocate here.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Newportcat wrote:If Miller goes back to Pitt and we avoid his buyout and leaves on his own terms and then we can get a new coach....would be to me the best situation for us

I still think you call few and throw crazy money at him and then if that doesn’t work get musselman

I personally think this would be best outcome given circumstances for everyone

Would be happy for Miller to get back east to his alma mater to a lower pressure job and for us to move on from the shit storm of Book.
Book is a shit storm. Few is a dream for idiots.....he is happy, well paid and is at a school that has lower pressure and fits his life style. He knows he can play for a championship there. What were they saying about Few and a final four last year since he had never been to one after what 16 years or so.

Musselman just got punked by a lower seed after leading by 12. It may be the difference he made while he was at ASU that impressed everyone. He is this years Shaka Smart. A .500 coach with a losing record in a big 5 conference now that he moved up. A disappointment for sure.

We sound like UCLA talking about the good old days.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
I don't see what choice we have other than to leap to conclusions. Miller is gone, and we are replacing him with whoever is in the front of my mind at this moment.
Elle McPherson? What?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Gone on a recruiting trip? It appears Miller has been working hard to recruit for next year's Arizona team and season. Unless there is some other viable source for the Pitt rumor, it seems unreasonable to jump to the conclusion that he is taking the job.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Bosy Billups wrote:Maybe they make a run for Musselman?

Doubt it. It's Miller folks. He gone

Miles Simon Time at Arizona!
You have lost your mind. Miles Simon? I would signup for Lutes grandson before Miles.

Yesterday Sean Miller holds in-home visits with Brandon Williams, Devonaire Doutrive. Probably recruiting them to Pitt.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
What are the chances you get back together with your girlfriend after she dumped you to go date Derek Jeter and now she’s done with him and is bringing his herpes with her?
50/50