Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatHoops

Re: Sean Miller

Post by CatHoops »

Miller ain't leaving Az for Pitt. Az is a top 10 destination and after the support he got from the actual fans I find it really hard to believe hes not gonna be here
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Newportcat wrote:
TheCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Whether you want him gone or not, the Pitt speculation isn't going away until they hire someone else. He said he is not a candidate, but we know their fans want him and he met with them during the season. You don't have to connect the dots, but don't pretend they don't exist.
You want to link where Sean met with them during the season? It would be interesting to see when he had time. I'll wait.
97cats said it happened and he is right 99.99999999% of the time
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette also reported Miller was interested in the job and had discussed it with their AD. This precipitated the "I am not a candidate" tweet, but the next day Danny Hurley took the UConn job. Pitt was supposed to meet again today but the meeting was canceled (not sure why). Their fans definitely want him now more than ever. They've also interviewed Thad Matta and Tom Crean (Georgia). We will see.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Miller himself said he's not a candidate for the job so why the talk? U wanna believe a source from a source but not the man himself?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

CatHoops wrote:Miller himself said he's not a candidate for the job so why the talk? U wanna believe a source from a source but not the man himself?
I absolutely believe he had interest and spoke with their AD. Whether or not Pitt makes another push is yet to be determined.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Idk he may have been interested but he ain't leaving. He's holding in home meetings with two recruits and he's not the guy to mislead people. Also trying to add Brandon Roy to the staff
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
TheCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Whether you want him gone or not, the Pitt speculation isn't going away until they hire someone else. He said he is not a candidate, but we know their fans want him and he met with them during the season. You don't have to connect the dots, but don't pretend they don't exist.
You want to link where Sean met with them during the season? It would be interesting to see when he had time. I'll wait.
BS. He also said Sean would be replaced. You think Pitt would keep that secret? No leaks.....and when did he have time since Spain was in August and 10 practices before that? You don't think they would already have an agreement if he did and Sean was chomping at the bit to take over that stellar program? Listen Sean may go to Pitt....but I find it really hard to believe that Sean is the kind of guy that would approach/discuss a job when they had an active head coach. You are taking about the son of a coach and the respect he has for the position of HC.
You're ridiculously naive if you don't think an AD who knew she was firing her head coach wouldn't have put feelers out there and an interested party would talk to her.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:No alums without any prior success as a head coach at the collegiate level!!!!

Even Reggie Geary would be a better choice than Simon. At least Geary was COY in the NBDL.
I'm having a hard time understanding the strong objection to former 'Cats as possible HCs, especially guys with college coaching experience like Simon and Stoudamire.

Brad Stevens: was an assistant at Butler for 6 years before getting hired as the HC.

Chris Mack: assistant at Xavier for 5 years before being promoted to HC.

Mark Few: assistant at Zaga for 9 years before being promoted to HC.

Everybody's gotta start somewhere. Simon has already been an assistant at AZ and is currently an assistant for the Lakers. Stoudamire has also been an assistant for us and has only recently started as HC at Pacific.

I get that these two in particular do not have the kind of experience we'd like to see for an AZ coaching candidate, but they're also Wildcats and understand Lute's legacy and the expectations at this program.

If Miller's days are numbered in Tucson, I'd definitely be open to interviewing some former Cats about the job.
Best example is Jim Boeheim. He was an assistant for a few years before becoming HC for his alma mater. Fred Hoiberg also returned to coach Iowa State after a brief stint as a Timberwolves assistant and front office guy.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TheCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
TheCat wrote:
BS. He also said Sean would be replaced. You think Pitt would keep that secret? No leaks.....and when did he have time since Spain was in August and 10 practices before that? You don't think they would already have an agreement if he did and Sean was chomping at the bit to take over that stellar program? Listen Sean may go to Pitt....but I find it really hard to believe that Sean is the kind of guy that would approach/discuss a job when they had an active head coach. You are taking about the son of a coach and the respect he has for the position of HC.
You're ridiculously naive if you don't think an AD who knew she was firing her head coach wouldn't have put feelers out there and an interested party would talk to her.
Sumlin was in town talking to Heeke before Rich Rod was fired. Now Sumlin has the time to do so but AD’s never fire someone without first reaching out to people

97 said Miller met with Pitt while in LA on a recruiting trip in I think February. Miller did go to LA during this time

If there is one thing I have learned, saying 97cat is bullshitting is not smart
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Was it true that CSM contract was reworked after espn story?

Also, I love Bilas wanting a better explanation about Emmeret but is perfectly fine with schlabachs story.

I Probably misspelled those names
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatHoops wrote:Miller himself said he's not a candidate for the job so why the talk? U wanna believe a source from a source but not the man himself?
Coaches say what they think the fans want to hear. Larry Smith said he wasn't going anywhere while the Beacons truck was backing up to his house.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azgreg wrote:
Coaches say what they think the fans want to hear. Larry Smith said he wasn't going anywhere while the Beacons truck was backing up to his house.
Exactly

Until Pitt hires someone else you have to assume Miller is a candidate not matter what anyone says including Miller

Once they hire someone else, you can feel good he is staying

Miler basically turned down Arizona at first but then had a late night phone call with calipari who convinced him to take the Job but he still went back to Arizona and got more money before committing
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
TheCat wrote:
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette also reported Miller was interested in the job and had discussed it with their AD. This precipitated the "I am not a candidate" tweet, but the next day Danny Hurley took the UConn job. Pitt was supposed to meet again today but the meeting was canceled (not sure why). Their fans definitely want him now more than ever. They've also interviewed Thad Matta and Tom Crean (Georgia). We will see.
Of course they want him because he is a top ten coach....they suck....they chased away a decent coach and look like assholes because they did. I'm sure their AD just said....hey guys Sean called and he would really like the job. Link where the AD says he spoke to Sean during the season and that Sean was interested. Then we can have Sean committed to the looney bin. I'll wait.
He may go......who knows....but he has much better options. I think he is doing exactly what he said he would and that is get his reputation back. Now he will just out work others.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Good info in this article:
https://www.ktbs.com/sports/national/ar ... c2226.html" target="_blank
While Sean Miller has been out scrambling for players this week, Pitt appears to be doing the same to find a coach.

The latest:

-- Adam Zagoria says Mark Schmidt is the next Pitt target.

-- Nate Oats and even Mike Hopkins have also been mentioned.

-- Speculation surfaced Thursday evening that there was a push to reinstate Miller as a candidate for Pitt.

-- There was also talk about a meeting being arranged and then canceled for Friday to discuss the coaching situation, which prompted a Pitt spokesman to say it was long-standing and needed to be canceled because of staff commitment to the search.

-- A Pittsburgh radio host says the decision to nix Miller's candidacy wasn't just made by Heather Lyke, while the Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy says Miller wasn't the ideal candidate for Lyke.

-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette columnist Paul Zeise says Pitt doesn't know what it wants.
Also, it seems like Emmert was just talking about the FBI complaint's wiretap transcripts and nothing else. The NCAA has not even started its investigation. Read the LA Times article. http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... story.html" target="_blank
NCAA president Mark Emmert told the Los Angeles Times the NCAA won't start its investigation until the federal investigatory process is finished -- meaning it could still be a while.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

One of these must be true:

A. Miller hasn’t done anything improper/illegal with respect to recruiting

Or

B. He’s really, really dumb

Dude went on live TV and insisted upon his innocence, in entirely unambiguous language. So either you believe the guy (as I do), or you think he’s a scumbag.

These ongoing stories about FBI transcripts are stupid. Click bait.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Without seeing everything it seems to me that the FBI doesn't have anything on Miller or they would have charged him along with Book.
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Hmmm .......

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/fbi- ... yptr=yahoo" target="_blank

Many schools are under FBI investigation including Duke, Michigan State but no mention of UA
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

The Universities are the victims in the case. The media and journalists have tried to make it sound like Universities are paying players to come play. When thats not even what the FBI is looking at
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CatHoops wrote:The Universities are the victims in the case. The media and journalists have tried to make it sound like Universities are paying players to come play. When thats not even what the FBI is looking at
Yep, that's my feeling too.

All I'm fairly confident about, though: Miller hasn't done anything wrong.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

CatHoops wrote:The Universities are the victims in the case. The media and journalists have tried to make it sound like Universities are paying players to come play. When thats not even what the FBI is looking at
The media is playing it that way, even though the Justice Dept said a main goal of their investigation was to protect the universities. The paying of players scams the universities in their theory, tied to money exchanges. They're the victims more or less in the federal suit, yet it hasn't worked out that way in the public eye...it's sullied the names of colleges, players, coaches. The ncaa committee on college basketball reform is working on it, changes will be coming in the offseason.

And IF those changes are truly significant and get passed, you wonder if the NCAA will be less harsh on the 99% of its members who have been cheating and declare a fresh start under the new rules with wrist slaps for indicted ones.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So you are telling me that this layolla Coach is better than CSM? Honest question!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3goggles wrote:So you are telling me that this layolla Coach is better than CSM? Honest question!
Been a D1 coach for 14 years and this is his first NCAA tournament ever.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Sister Jean to Pitt?
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Would you put big money on it?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

phenom5 wrote:Would you put big money on it?
Not on that, but Miller to Pitt, yes, big money
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Bosy Billups wrote:
I thought he was going yesterday?
prh

Post by prh »

Bosy Billups wrote:
What odds would you give for him staying here and for him going to Pitt?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

prh wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
Before the meeting, I'd say 70-30 Miller to Pitt. Since the postponement, 60-40.

We know he wants a fresh start, all he needs is an offer.

Not sure if the ACC brass, i.e., K and Roy, will allow him into the old boy's network though. That's the hangup, not PITT. Miller is a threat to them and can use the FBI non-sense to keep him out.

Give me 2 to 1 odds, I'd take that all day
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Bosy Billups wrote:
prh wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
Before the meeting, I'd say 70-30 Miller to Pitt. Since the postponement, 60-40.

Not sure if the ACC brass, i.e., K and Roy, will allow him into the old boy's network though. That's the hangup, not PITT. Miller is a threat to them and can use the FBI non-sense to keep him out.

I f you think the odds are60-40 that he goes, why are you asking for 2:1 odds? You should be giving odds. Give me 6:4 odds and I will take it
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
prh wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:

I f you think the odds are60-40 that he goes, why are you asking for 2:1 odds? You should be giving odds. Give me 6:4 odds and I will take it
I think it's 60-40. You think its 5-95 he goes. So no, you give me the 2 to 1.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Bosy Billups wrote:Sister Jean to Pitt?
Anything's possible. She'd probably get to the Final Four at Pitt before Miller would. On that note congratulations to Loyola Chicago. The perfect example of what team basketball and good coaching can accomplish. So refreshing in this day and age of one and done's and selfish players. It's pretty much ruined college basketball.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Captain Obvious wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:Sister Jean to Pitt?
Anything's possible. She'd probably get to the Final Four at Pitt before Miller would. On that note congratulations to Loyola Chicago. The perfect example of what team basketball and good coaching can accomplish. So refreshing in this day and age of one and done's and selfish players. It's pretty much ruined college basketball.
Or... they just got hot at the right time with a great draw. March Madness isn't about the most talented and best coached team. It's draw, getting hot, momentum, etc. That's why not a good measuring stick of success IMO. Conference championships much more on coaching and skill through the long haul. Not mere variance.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bosy Billups wrote:
Did you drop the 4 digits on Miller leaving Friday?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
Of course he didn't.......all hat no cattle.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

TheCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
Of course he didn't.......all hat no cattle.
No one would take the other side, because everyone thinks it's the likelihood in that secret realest part of the brain
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The idea that Roy & K are dictating who Pitt hires is some seriously funny shit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

This thread has turned into a moron convention...seriously enough with the Pitt bullshit...he's not even on the team anymore and and Treys sister probably transferred to a home school college as well.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

CatHoops wrote:Idk he may have been interested but he ain't leaving. He's holding in home meetings with two recruits and he's not the guy to mislead people. Also trying to add Brandon Roy to the staff
Agreed. He appears to be working overtime to salvage the AZ class to add to the returning line-up. If he wanted the Pitt job and there was mutual interest, it likely would have been done now.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

Miller bringing Brandon Roy on staff :-) ah shiiit.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Bosy thinks Sandy Hook was a hoax.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bordercat wrote:Miller bringing Brandon Roy on staff :-) ah shiiit.
The only place I've seen this is with the PlayersProgramU.com guys.
prh

Post by prh »

azgreg wrote:
Oh well that's depressing
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
They seem to have a decent batting average for now
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

This is a few days ago so things may have changed
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote:This is a few days ago so things may have changed
Also Scheers wording is interesting
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Remember when Capel was on the UA short list? Also when he had wins vacated?

Last edited by Merkin on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

So at least the latest theme of this thread can go away for good now.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

At least for 2 more years. :-)
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
That's an interesting way to spell Sean Miller.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Remember when Capel was on the UA short list? Also when he had wins vacated?
Bosy is gonna be mad.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I don't think we can rest easy until Capel fills his staff. Miller could always go back to Pitt as an assistant. (Sarcasm).