Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Sean Miller

Post by YoDeFoe »

Infrequent reminder to leave the politics at the door.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Infrequent reminder to leave the politics at the door.
Frequent reminder that Dick Vitale is a biased, doddering old fool who waits for the facts on all head coaches not named Sean Miller...
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Great to see Arizona fans dragging the shit out of Dick for this bullshit.

Hearsay that a coach talked about paying a player? GOT TO GO!!!!

Documented history of enabling a coach engaged in years of abuse against his wife (including while pregnant)? Let's not jump to conclusions, folks!

What a bag of dicks.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Miller was in attendance at the Tucson Chamber/AZ Athletics Luncheon with Sumlin and Heeke. Coach Sumlin said he would like to have a few one and done's in football to build up the program. Coach Miller later responded saying it's not all it cracked up to be

ooof
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Great to hear Miller changing his perspective.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

this years team is going to be better than most people are anticipating
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I am anticipating a share of the Pac 12 reg season title, playing in the conf finals, a 6 seed or higher in the dance, and playing in the sweet 16.

So that is AWESOME!

Also, most of the time I am in the group "most people."
Last edited by U.P. Zona Fan on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

97cats wrote:this years team is going to be better than most people are anticipating

I agree. They will be playing with better leadership at the point and with a big chip on their shoulders. Much better defensively as well
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:this years team is going to be better than most people are anticipating
I’d be good with a top 3 Pac finish and an NCAA bid. Anything beyond that is gravy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:
I agree. They will be playing with better leadership at the point and with a big chip on their shoulders. Much better defensively as well
Defense is my biggest hope. We were such a sieve last year. Improving on that end would be huge. Offensively, we can figure it out, but defense is where we could really surprise.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Count me in the camp that we will exceed expectations.

New leadership will emerge and Miller will have their ear for defense and teamwork.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I tend to get more enjoyment out of teams with lesser talent that go after wins than overly talented teams that expect wins to follow them.

Looking forward to this year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
I’d be good with a top 3 Pac finish and an NCAA bid. Anything beyond that is gravy.
Probably the most realistic scenario we could hope for. If the stars align right I could see a second weekend of the tourney appearance for us for sure.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I am much more pessimistic than you all. Lot of new/young guys and unproven commodities up and down the lineup. I think it won’t be until late in the conference season that they’ll coalesce, if at all.

I’m prepared for a whole bunch of frustrating losses.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'm with this:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Because of this:
CalStateTempe wrote:Count me in the camp that we will exceed expectations.

New leadership will emerge and Miller will have their ear for defense and teamwork.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Top three in the Pac-12 will be very difficult. Oregon is a top 3 lock. Washington and UCLA will be tough, USC has some guys, Stanford has some guys, ASU has some guys. Wrote this up recently about concerns for each of my top five teams, ranked:

#1 Oregon - Need four star CG Will Richardson to deliver as a second ball handler (Oregon returns just one player with a >1.5A:TO), luckily for them Richardson posted 7 assists per game as a senior at Oak Hill (he also averaged 30+ pts). Also: does Bol Bol translate (yes, he does). Payton Pritchard, Kenny Wooten, Paul White, Vic Bailey, Louis King(!), Bol Bol(!!), and Will Richardson are enough to win the conference and put the Ducks in the top ten in the country.

#2 Washington... PG concerns. They return starter David Crisp and probably wish they didn't; he's an undersized two guard at best. Unfortunately there's no one behind him. Their defense and a second year under head coach Mike Hopkins should make them a tournament team this season. Returning Pac-12 DPOY Matisse Thybulle will be a POY candidate if he can improve his offense, hopefully getting to the line more often. Noah Dickerson is the only returning 1st teamer on a competitive team (sorry Tres Tinkle). Jaylen Nowell will likely improve his efficiency in scoring and ball handling from a surprisingly productive freshman season where he posted 16ppg.

#3 UCLA - PG concerns with Jaylen Hands not playing well as a freshman and reportedly clashing with the coaching staff by the end of last season. Youth concerns with the oldest impact player being rising sophomore Kris Wilkes (my pick for Pac-12 POY). Lots of unproven or freshman players needing to perform for this team to work, especially in the post. They've got a ton of talent... but they've also got Steve Alford.

#4 Arizona - Arizona lost six of its eight impact players including the whole starting five. We've got a ton of talent on the team and one of the best coaches in the conference, but there's not a lot of proven production here. In total there are four 5-star and four 4-star players, and only one freshman needs to produce - on paper that sounds really good. A fourth place finish is probably a higher projection than a neutral observer would offer, but Miller has never finished lower than fourth in the conference and while this is a rebuilding season, there is good talent at every position. Multiple ball handlers, multiple wings, multiple versatile forwards. There's only one true center, so the team likely goes as Chase Jeter goes. Which... okay, yes, that's a little concerning. But Jeter's story is the story of every talented young player on this roster: beat out and sent to the bench by older, stronger players. Every man on this team now has every opportunity ahead of them. Sky blue.

#5 USC - No point guard. Derryck Thornton will likely start all season at PG despite getting more DNPs than assists since entering the NCAAs four years ago. Leadership will be tough for this team. From that perspective, I'm not a fan of Enfield and not a fan of the three upperclassmen (Thornton, Boatwright, and Shaq Aaron). Love incoming wing Kevin Porter, Jr. however, so they've got that going for them.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Excited for the season. Thank you cheeseburger
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Any inside info on this or just speculating based on perceived talent level? I don’t disagree about us over preforming I just would love to know if this is just your guess or if those close to coach Miller are quietly very confident in this year’s team.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

goslingswagg wrote:Any inside info on this
i have all but removed myself from any inquiries, i may get a text once in a blue moon but its rare - im not even a SCOUT Premium member at the moment, first time i havent had premium since 2002.
goslingswagg wrote:or just speculating based on perceived talent level?
its knowing that the point of attack on both ends will be 1000 times better on and off the floor.
goslingswagg wrote:I don’t disagree about us over preforming I just would love to know if this is just your guess or if those close to coach Miller are quietly very confident in this year’s team.
i think Coach Miller is confident in his ability as a coach every year, and this years team has a lot of new pieces, but the talent and TEAM player upgrade and returning developed player at the guard spot is way, way, way, way better than last year.

Trier's production aside, the turnover as a whole at the point of attack is huge for this years team - its crippled AZ the last three seasons.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Whats the reasoning behind not having Scout premium anymore?

I agree regarding the point of attack upgrade. I also think that, quite frankly, the only departing player last year whose absence will hurt us next year is Deandre. I'm not sure Trier and Rawle were huge pluses on the whole last year, and I feel confident in our ability to replace those guys on the wing with a combination of new and returning talent (with an expected large jump in productivity by Akot and Randolph). I think we are going to be better at the guard position than we were last year, particularly if Williams is as good as we think he is. I think we will be much worse in the frontcourt, however, with the departure of Deandre. Overall though, I think we're a 5 seed quality team, and I am very much so excited to see how we look come March.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I go back and forth about whether losing Trier and Rawle is a loss or not. I got so frustrated with their defensive issues, I have high hopes that we can get an upgrade there. Offensively, Trier's efficiency isn't going to get duplicated.

I'm not 100% we get an immediate upgrade from replacing PJC, but Williams should be better than PJC ever was pretty fast. PJC was a good kid but always with such a low ceiling.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I go back and forth about whether losing Trier and Rawle is a loss or not. I got so frustrated with their defensive issues, I have high hopes that we can get an upgrade there. Offensively, Trier's efficiency isn't going to get duplicated.

I'm not 100% we get an immediate upgrade from replacing PJC, but Williams should be better than PJC ever was pretty fast. PJC was a good kid but always with such a low ceiling.
I go one way about losing Trier and Rawle and that it's a gain. Now if it was Trier and a high end perimeter defender who could make up for Trier's weakness then it'd be a different story, but Trier and Rawle together was a negative for us plain and simple. With that being said I don't know how a lineup of Coleman, Williams, and Randolph will work defensively either.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I go back and forth about whether losing Trier and Rawle is a loss or not. I got so frustrated with their defensive issues, I have high hopes that we can get an upgrade there. Offensively, Trier's efficiency isn't going to get duplicated.

I go one way about losing Trier and Rawle and that it's a gain. Now if it was Trier and a high end perimeter defender who could make up for Trier's weakness then it'd be a different story, but Trier and Rawle together was a negative for us plain and simple. With that being said I don't know how a lineup of Coleman, Williams, and Randolph will work defensively either.
I really hope Randolph can be good. He's long and athletic, and really should have the defensive tools to make a positive impact, moreso than Trier.

I like starting Akot over the Williams/Coleman combo, primarily for D. Akot will hopefully be our staunchest perimeter defender. Williams is a freshman and Coleman has never been stellar on D. Just playing one of them and having Akot at SF gives us our best defensive potential.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm not 100% we get an immediate upgrade from replacing PJC
I am

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm not 100% we get an immediate upgrade from replacing PJC
I am

Why Sean Miller is still our coach

2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

My previous thoughts on Coleman:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Basically the exact same shooting splits and scoring style, with PJC being a 5 percentage point better three point shooter and Coleman being a 5 percentage point better finisher at the rim and at the line.

Same size, both 5'10" 170lbs.

Both posted about .90 points per possession scoring and 1.4ppp scoring + assists, both with ~2.4 A:TO. Similar offensive rating (Coleman v PJC). Coleman was a higher usage offensive player, for what its worth.

But oh boy - defensive rating.

PJC held opponents to a decent 0.869ppp, good for about 50th percentile. Coleman gave up 1.051ppp - which is in the bottom 10% of players in division 1 basketball. In man to man defensive sets, Coleman ranked in the bottom 5%.

All of the above is with PJC playing for Arizona with a top 50 strength of schedule and Coleman playing for Samford - just outside the top 200 in SOS.

Samford was one of the worst defensive teams in the country last year (346th of 351) and defense is a team effort. But when Coleman was isolated, he ranked in the bottom 4%. When Coleman was tasked with defending catch and shoot jumpers, he ranked in the bottom 15%. Those are individual defensive plays.
I called him a poor man's PJC, thought maybe that was a bit harsh and called him basically PJC.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:So to sum it up Coleman is better in the P&R, Isolation, and Hand off. They both suck in transition i.e. they're both short, and Parker was a better spot up shooter (the only thing he ever did good on offense). As far as defense goes Samford obviously gave zero shits about playing any, so I don't take it too seriously. Regardless our defense is in the hands of our wings and that goes for even if we land Williams. If the wings can't play D effectively then we're screwed already, so I couldn't care less about his defense at a program who had zero interest in playing any. The same size argument is crap, Parker was never 5'10. Hell the way Arizona lists heights I bet we list Coleman at 6'0 if he were to come here.

Either way we need him or Williams. You don't go into next season with Alex Barcello who played sparingly being your sole option at the 1. I'm in agreement with you overall on Johnson, but we need somebody to handle the rock.
Choo's previous thoughts on Coleman. FWIW Choo might have been a little frustrated with me bc I'd spent a month saying "fuck it just roll the ball out with Barcello" ...I may have still be drunk from the Buffalo loss.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

And Spiff's
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:Spiff, being that the last 2 transfers TJ McConnell and Kadeem Allen are in the NBA, would you say that Coleman is Arizona good?
YDF and Choo have good takes, IMO. Comparing him to others:

Best case scenario: Mark Lyons.

Worst case scenario: PG version of Mark Tollefsen.

I think he winds up being a starter by default and we wind up wishing he was better than he actually is. Maybe he can be solid, hopefully it's enough for a tournament. The awful defensive stats concern me the most.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'm going to start the "Barcello + Williams starting guards" band wagon now. Probably our best defensive guard set if they play to their ceiling. Also: I love daydreaming like dudes will 100% play to their ceiling.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:So to sum it up Coleman is better in the P&R, Isolation, and Hand off. They both suck in transition i.e. they're both short, and Parker was a better spot up shooter (the only thing he ever did good on offense). As far as defense goes Samford obviously gave zero shits about playing any, so I don't take it too seriously. Regardless our defense is in the hands of our wings and that goes for even if we land Williams. If the wings can't play D effectively then we're screwed already, so I couldn't care less about his defense at a program who had zero interest in playing any. The same size argument is crap, Parker was never 5'10. Hell the way Arizona lists heights I bet we list Coleman at 6'0 if he were to come here.

Either way we need him or Williams. You don't go into next season with Alex Barcello who played sparingly being your sole option at the 1. I'm in agreement with you overall on Johnson, but we need somebody to handle the rock.
Choo's previous thoughts on Coleman. FWIW Choo might have been a little frustrated with me bc I'd spent a month saying "fuck it just roll the ball out with Barcello" ...I may have still be drunk from the Buffalo loss.
Accurate lol.

I still stand by my opinion that Coleman is better than Parker. That doesn't mean he's extraordinarily better, but hey he'll still be better. Either way I can't express enough how happy I am that we got Williams.

If it were me Coleman would be my backup PG and I'd start Randolph and Akot alongside Williams, but we've been selling a change of system to recruits every chance we get, and we desperately want to employ a Mannion/William's backcourt next year, which will be a much better team. Therefore, you take the hit and start Coleman and Williams side by side to show recruits (Mannion and Boogie Ellis) that we're not lying and really profit the following season.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the program has needed a massive upgrade at the guard position, specifically lead guard, for three years.

i believe now Arizona is committed to making that happen - that alone is progress.

the last three seasons were god awful - getting bitch slapped in the first round twice.

Coach Miller lands Manion and he is on to something special next season with a solid core returning including a soph Williams next to him.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

97cats wrote:the program has needed a massive upgrade at the guard position, specifically lead guard, for three years.

i believe now Arizona is committed to making that happen - that alone is progress.

the last three seasons were god awful - getting bitch slapped in the first round twice.

Coach Miller lands Manion and he is on to something special next season with a solid core returning including a soph Williams next to him.

:D Cool

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Aug 18, 2018 Updated 6 hrs ago

While strategizing over their unbalanced conference schedule in May, Pac-12 coaches took a straw poll to first determine which teams might be the best this season.

Arizona was picked sixth, coach Sean Miller said.

"That’s certainly different," Miller said. "That hasn’t been the case in a long time."

True. In fact, Miller’s Wildcats have never been picked lower than fourth in the conference’s official preseason media poll and they have been picked to finish first in five of the six previous seasons. Arizona wound up delivering the title outright in three of those five seasons and also tied for the league title in 2016-17, when predicted to finish second behind Oregon.

The straw poll was yet another reality check for a coach who lost all his starters from last season’s Pac-12 champions — and then had to rebuild his 2018 recruiting class and hire two new assistant coaches in the offseason. Already, Miller said, one media member had picked UA to go 1-17 in conference play while another picked the Wildcats to finish last.

Miller discussed where things stand now in a recent interview with the Star. Here were five key topics he discussed:

Sean Miller preparing for 'different' season with revamped Wildcats roster
https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... d5c.html#2" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

No lower than fourth.
prh

Post by prh »

Would love to know who those two media members are
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Comments on the rest of that article (which everyone should read):

I'm worried about Luther's ability to play a full season, physically and mentally. He's averaged only 400 minutes a season the last three, against a typical ~1,000 min starter's season... I'm not sure he has a permanent "I'm the man" attitude because of that, but maybe that's okay. Maybe that lets the sophomores come alive and play to their higher ceiling. Expecting to see Akot and Lee at the four spot a lot. So those looking for a line-up that include Williams, Randolph, and Akot should get their wish.

Miller expects Ira Lee to take a leap this season, and I couldn't be more excited. I've been preaching a Rockets-like line-up for this season and I see Lee in a PJ Tucker role: a smaller post player, scrapping for offensive and defensive rebounds, flying around and switching on defense, not being a focal point of the offense but exploiting mismatches and being a headache for the other team.

My other favorite scrappy sophomore Alex Barcello got some love from Miller as well. Again called him one of the team's best shooters and indicated that we should expect to see him get PT in a two guard set playing on and off the ball. Last year was a punch to the dick for Barcello, he looked a kid playing against grown men, but from the interviews it sounds like he's got his confidence back for this season.

Slipped into the notes are a quote of Miller calling Randolph "maybe our most talented returner" and I think we're all expecting a big season out of him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The real need from Luther is backup 5 minutes. Without him you're looking at Jeter playing as much as physically possible and Lee getting the remainder of the minutes at the 5.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I like Lee getting minutes at the five. Offensively he's not a threat outside of 15 feet, put that boy in the post and let him use his quickness and motor. He's the strongest player on the team, great upper and lower body frame, and his 6'10" wingspan and athleticism (remember the dunk contest?) should allow him to play bigger than his 6'8" height.

His ceiling this season is a stronger, quicker Keanu Pinder with IQ and hands that makes defenses respect him on offense. I'm fine with him getting 7-10min/g at center.

I want Luther playing 20min/g at PF going all out, rebounding, attacking the basket, and spacing the floor.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It will be interesting to see where we are replacing 70+ ppg from last years starters. That's a big whole to fill not to mention who will be the "go to" scorer down the stretch of close games which I feel will be many as this team will not be blowing out too many opponents.

We certainly have talent and I like that we brought in some experienced veterans like Coleman and Luther but we better see some marked improvements from this squad on the boards and on D because this team will probably struggle for a while to score.

Having said that though I like that we are under the radar with low expectations. I think this will be a huge motivation for SM, his staff and the players to work their butt off to reach the standards we expect each and every year. Effort should not be a problem with this team as there is no margin for error and that get's me excited.

With no superstars we might really end up loving this "team".
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I love starting Akot at the 3 with the Williams/Coleman combo, primarily for D. Akot will hopefully be our staunchest perimeter defender. Williams is a freshman and Coleman has never been stellar on D. Just playing one of them and having Akot at SF gives us our best defensive potential.
Yes, yes, Spiff----Akot at SF. Our best D potential operating as the glue between Coleman/Williams and Lee(or Luther)/Jeter.

Then on offense, a nasty combo of Coleman/Williams and Akot operating as a Point Forward. Any of you ex-back court guys wanna defend against those three? Em has a creative, tight handle and great eyes to see Williams and Coleman flashing around without the ball. Each of the three can deliver the rock quick and right.

Gonna be a fun season to see develop Can't wait.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

My dream actually possible lineup is Coleman, Williams, Randolph, Akot, and Jeter with Luther being first man off the bench still getting 25 minutes per.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:My dream actually possible lineup is Coleman, Williams, Randolph, Akot, and Jeter with Luther being first man off the bench still getting 25 minutes per.
Agree with this.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:My dream actually possible lineup is Coleman, Williams, Randolph, Akot, and Jeter with Luther being first man off the bench still getting 25 minutes per.
I'm not sure. One thing I hope to get from Luther is him being a consistent anchor. One thing we really don't have a ton of is guys you know what you're getting on a nightly basis. Luther is one of the first guys I think can do that.

I understand the preference for the smaller lineup and have no issues with utilizing it a lot. I also think we need settling influences with as much newness as next year's team has. I tend towards a situational use of alternate lineups until/unless a real definitive 5 emerges.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'm here for this.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

We know Miller has to show a two guard line-up bc that's what he's offering to Mannion and other recruits (and what he offered Williams). We know Jeter is at the five.

So then who do you want at the three and four? It's Randolph and Akot, for sure the two most talented of the wings.

Boom. Possible line-up that is also damn dangerous with three ball handlers, four shooters, and (hopefully) quick, versatile defense.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

^ absolutely agree on offense. Could be a very exciting group.

Really comes down to defense:
Luther: how quickly he picks up the defensive principals and ability to execute
Lee: does he make the sophomore jump? (caveat: I am rooting for him)
Akot: Can he effectively defend the position for longish periods?

Finally, who the hell is backing up Jeter!
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

baycat93 wrote:^ absolutely agree on offense. Could be a very exciting group.

Luther ideally. Potentially a few minutes for Ira as well.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:

Yeah, that's why I don't worry about starting smaller. Necessity will have us playing plenty of smaller, guard oriented lineups.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

Yeah, that's why I don't worry about starting smaller. Necessity will have us playing plenty of smaller, guard oriented lineups.

Agree completely.

And back to our original theme, hopefully a healthy Luther who can give us minnies. And the knowledge Ira can bang with the big bodies.

A reach question: Choo, anyone, any idea of Thieleman's potential at the 4 or (even) 5?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EOCT wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

Agree completely.

And back to our original theme, hopefully a healthy Luther who can give us minnies. And the knowledge Ira can bang with the big bodies.

A reach question: Choo, anyone, any idea of Thieleman's potential at the 4 or (even) 5?
I think he could play some small ball 4, definitely not at the 5 though. If he's going to get PT this year he's sure as hell gonna have to earn it though. It's certainly an uphill battle for him.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I love Thieleman's ceiling as a combo forward, and think his best position long term is likely at the 4. But I can't see him getting much burn, if any, this year. A redshirt year would be great for him, although not sure if he would be open to it or not.