Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by TheCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Longhorned wrote:It's interesting to hear how some of you are at the the end of your rope in December. Under Miller, the regular season success has been undeniable, and the frustration has previously focused on not reaching the Final Four.

It's one thing to be critical of the product at this point (and it has been atrocious for well over half the game in all three losses), but it's something else to be completely fed up and done with a coach before Christmas on his first season back after a year with a gutted roster after the Book and Schlabach scandals.

We need an emoticon with a bucktooth, slobbering mouth and that finger gesture going around in circles next to where the brain is.
^^^This^^^

Of course if people have expectations of having zero losses in December with a "60% starters are freshman team" with a top tier recruiting class and still want a really tough OOC schedule to help the RPI and a 10-3 ranking is enough to consider firing the head coach I doubt there's anything anyone with a lick of common sense can say that will influence them to stop being little whiny bitches...

1. No loss December
2. Strong incoming recruiting class.
3. Maturity and tough OOC.

Pick 2.
Exactly and don't forget starting a player that no one on this site thought should get a minute of playing time. If we manage to come in third in the PAC, reach the finals of the PC-12 tourney and make it to the sweet sixteen I think this year will be a success. Hell Duke made it to the elite eight with 3 of the top NBA recruits including 1 and 2. People need to get real with their expectations. I think individuals get their own ego wrapped up in the success of the team. Watch it for what it is, hope for the best and appreciate the guys that give their blood and sweat for your program. There is no coach better than Miller for Az right now and to say there is is wishful thinking. I linked earlier who was rated as the top 12 coaches (Miller #9) and name one above Miller we could get. I'll wait.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

A chunk of the arguments people are making would be MUCH MORE interesting if the three freshmen starters and Koloko were all going to be back next year.

Instead next year (when two or more of them are gone), we’ll be having this same conversation: “expectations need to be modified because we’re relying on freshmen starters; considering we’re relying on freshmen starters third in the pac would be good; you can’t expect to win games against top 25 competition in December with freshmen starters.”

Etc etc etc.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Provided that we lose NM, JG, and ZN, I'm not at all confident about next year's roster. Seems like we're going to be pretty thin on talent, but we'll see.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Elite coaches get buy in from their players to stay.

Arizona under Miller is a pit stop for players looking beyond college, and most of the time end up in NBA-D or Europe or the local So-Cal gym (I see you comanche).

Do your time and get out. Such a winning long-term philosophy.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Elite coaches get buy in from their players to stay.

Arizona under Miller is a pit stop for players looking beyond college, and most of the time end up in NBA-D or Europe or the local So-Cal gym (I see you comanche).

Just like Duke and Kentucky. Bad post.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

TheCat wrote:

Just like Duke and Kentucky. Bad post.
:lol:

Seriously?

Sesame Street time: Which two things are not like the other!!

CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I'm not sure what people expect Miller to do here...on one hand everyone wants an elite program with #1 recruits but does not want one-and-dones...which is absurd in todays basketball climate...ANY player in the top 50 is going because why else are they even here? You think those recruits in Duke are there for an education? Not on your life.

Get a degree from Kentucky and do what with it? Kansas is a hotbed of intellectual elites playing basketball everyone knows this...</sarcasm>

So Miller should not recruit OaD's? Seems like we have AT LEAST half a roster of guys who are not OaD...

There is not one player in the top 100 who isn't going to the NBA the first whiff of a chance he gets and no one with a serious understanding of economics disagrees with that pattern...every player out there faces the risk of a Ray Smith future working with troubled kids after his scholarship pays for his education because his real dream is dead via some career ending injury.

If NM ZN and JG land anywhere in the top 100 I applaud their season here and wish them luck and will follow them in the NBA just like I do all Wildcats.

That cannot possibly be blamed on Miller...not even a whiff of it.

His job is not to keep guys from going pro, his job is to help them while they are here and possibly aid their stock in the future market, but beyond that he has no responsibility and no guilt for what they do with their lives.

Arizona will not be able to compete without OaD's...this is not Gonzaga where the boosters are patient because you are a good Catholic and they enjoy being the big fish in a little tiny pond known as the WAC...we are in the Pac 12 with schools like Oregon and UCLA who have distinct advantages over UA in recruiting...the best we can offer is hot babes in short shorts 90% of the year and a fan base that is loyal to a fault.

This is who we are now and regardless of how dismal it feels at times to be a Wildcat fan if Miller does his typical witchcraft and recruits way above his pay grade we are all gonna salviate and hope again like we always do.

The BEST thing Miller could change is perhaps bringing in an assistant who can recruit as good a Book could and who knows offense, someone like...oh I dunno...ROMAR????

You people need to get a grip.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

lol...

GJ
CC
KS
et al with the requisite skill sets to be successful in the NBA after their time at UofA.

thats a record to be proud of!

Three LBJ's we just let slip through our fingers. lol
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

TheCat wrote:There is no coach better than Miller for Az right now
Yet you want us to lower expectations in year 11? How are we anywhere close to Kentucky and Duke if that's the case? Their fans expect to win even when they don't. It's on Miller for having a poor supporting cast. He runs the show and recruits everyone on the roster.

And don't lecture me about conference titles. Pac-12 has sucked during Miller's tenure and no one gives a shit about that anyway. The reason Self, Altman, etc. are shielded from scrutiny is because of FF appearances, fair or not. This program cannot survive another Miller special.

RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

TatetheGreat wrote:
TheCat wrote:There is no coach better than Miller for Az right now
Yet you want us to lower expectations in year 11? How are we anywhere close to Kentucky and Duke if that's the case? Their fans expect to win even when they don't. It's on Miller for having a poor supporting cast. He runs the show and recruits everyone on the roster.

And don't lecture me about conference titles. Pac-12 has sucked during Miller's tenure and no one gives a shit about that anyway. The reason Self, Altman, etc. are shielded from scrutiny is because of FF appearances, fair or not. This program cannot survive another Miller special.

I think you need a little holiday cheer:

https://twitter.com/TheWildcaster/statu ... c%3D7224.0" target="_blank
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Arizona hasn’t lost at home to Evansville and Stephen. F. Austin. Two of their three losses were to top ten teams. They’ve also had some roster adjustments because of injury and dismissal. They’re starting three freshmen. Nobody is lowering expectations. There’s just an understanding that evaluating a season like this in December is pointless.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:There’s just an understanding that evaluating a season like this in December is pointless.
I'm with you on this, but since we're in the "Sean Miller" thread, it's worth pointing out that there will indeed be some "evaluation" this March. By then, Miller will presumably have a healthy team, loaded with elite freshmen and coveted transfers. And Jeter and Lee. It's not the best roster Miller's had, but it's up there. We can go on and on about how other coaches didn't reach the FF until 10+ seasons at their school, and that's fine. But my impression is that patience is straining with Miller. It's not his fault that we haven't been to a FF in nearly two decades, but for the first time, I'm hearing stalwart Miller defenders soften in their support. Some are even thinking "post-Miller Era." It's hard to put too much stock in a single season, but there's a sense that this season's outcome matters more than others. For a team with Nico, Josh and Zeke to flame out in the second round -- or worse, the first round -- would just not go over well.

On the other hand, if the gods are good to us this spring and we finally -- mercifully -- return to the FF, I gotta think most if not all of the Miller anxiety will subside, at least until the NCAA sanctions arrive.

I'm correct in thinking that the FF matters, right? Like, getting there shores up Miller's job security and fan support. Falling short means another summer of hand-wringing and doubts about Miller's ability to reach the next level, yes?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

We really lucked out with Nico. In-state product, best friends with Green, recruited Nnaji. We don't have that luxury moving forward. The FBI scandal (as bullshit as it is) will loom larger with another flop in the NCAA tourney. This year is very important for our future. Of course we aren't tier 1 or a blueblood but scaling down from tier 2 means we could be fighting with ASU for recruits as soon as next year. I hope to avoid that fate. Miller can do it, but it's make or break time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TatetheGreat wrote:We really lucked out with Nico. In-state product, best friends with Green, recruited Nnaji. We don't have that luxury moving forward. The FBI scandal (as bullshit as it is) will loom larger with another flop in the NCAA tourney. This year is very important for our future. Of course we aren't tier 1 or a blueblood but scaling down from tier 2 means we could be fighting with ASU for recruits as soon as next year. I hope to avoid that fate. Miller can do it, but it's make or break time.
Here's what I hate about make or break time posts.

Say we go 18-0 in Pac play, roll through they tourney and lose on a Wisconsin style heat barrage in the Elite Eight. Did we make or break?

Say we limp into the play in round of the tourney with an average Pac performance, then catch a hot streak and make the Final Four. Did we make or break? Is this better or worse than scenario #1?

Make or break is such an arbitrary standard that disregards how much weird stuff happens in the NCAA tourney. As I've posted before, if Horne's shot is inches different, the conversation is different, but Miller isn't different.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:We really lucked out with Nico. In-state product, best friends with Green, recruited Nnaji. We don't have that luxury moving forward. The FBI scandal (as bullshit as it is) will loom larger with another flop in the NCAA tourney. This year is very important for our future. Of course we aren't tier 1 or a blueblood but scaling down from tier 2 means we could be fighting with ASU for recruits as soon as next year. I hope to avoid that fate. Miller can do it, but it's make or break time.

Say we go 18-0 in Pac play, roll through they tourney and lose on a Wisconsin style heat barrage in the Elite Eight. Did we make or break?

Say we limp into the play in round of the tourney with an average Pac performance, then catch a hot streak and make the Final Four. Did we make or break? Is this better or worse than scenario #1?

Make or break is such an arbitrary standard that disregards how much weird stuff happens in the NCAA tourney. As I've posted before, if Horne's shot is inches different, the conversation is different, but Miller isn't different.
I have been fully supportive of Miller for many years now, but at some point you have to make your own luck. Yes Miller is no different but the perception about him is and therefore his recruiting ability and the strength of his words are. At some point you have to break through.

Are Arizona and Miller just the most unlucky of the unlucky?

Funny that the elites of the game have not had nearly as much bad luck as Miller.

And for you scenario 2 is by far better. If people other than Miller lover and apologist cared about number 1, Bill Self would be considered a top 3 coach of all time.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

It should be self-evident given where we are and what's ahead. 2011 was very winnable, it should not have come down to the last shot. 2014 was a heart-breaker. 2015 we got handled. We can only hope for a hot streak of our own because as you said, Miller isn't any different.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:I have been fully supportive of Miller for many years now

Making up a horrible lie about him blaming the fans for a loss is supportive? With supporters like you, who needs mortal enemies?

GTFOH
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

TatetheGreat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

It should be self-evident given where we are and what's ahead. 2011 was very winnable, it should not have come down to the last shot. 2014 was a heart-breaker. 2015 we got handled. We can only hope for a hot streak of our own because as you said, Miller isn't any different.
To add, when reviewing a game in high sight I am always struck by the relationship between plays in the game and time horizon. We all remember hornes missed three and various other “bad breaks” that happen at the end of games, for fail to remember the missed defense assignments, mismatches, timeouts called in error and failed in game coaches adjustments that occur much earlier (first 30minutes of the game) that set the stage for relying on that missed three or jumper or layup in the close seconds in the first place.

Regarding these topics miller’s in game management is average at best.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I'm amused by the selective memory incorporated by some of Miller's detractors. For instance, Arizona was damn fortunate to be in the Eite 8 in 2011. Winnable against UCONN? Absolutely. If Derrick Williams doesn't get in early foul trouble (Miller's fault?) then Arizona wins. When he was on the court, Arizona dominated the contest. If we play UCONN ten times that season -- I think we win 6-7 of those meetings.

Now go back to the Duke meeting. We were getting outplayed in the first half. Williams hit an unconscionable 3 pointer at the buzzer to cut the halftime deficit to six. Otherwise, we're looking at trailing the region's top seed by 9 at the break. Our second half against Duke was probably the best half of basketball in the NCAA tournament by ANY Arizona team ever, except perhaps the second half vs. Missouri in the '94 regional final. We made everything. MoMo Jones couldn't miss with mid-range jumpers. If we play that same Duke team ten times, we're lucky to win 5 of those meetings.

Prior to that game, we were lucky as hell to beat Texas in the second round. We were the better team. The refs kept UT in the game as their top guard paraded to the FT line the whole second half. Then we went cold and it looked like we were done. Miller kept our guys playing hard to the very end. And you know what? We got a 5-second call from the official on a UT inbound. That's a call we'd be bitching about until the end of time if the roles were reversed. It was more like a 4.2 second call. Anyway, we got it. And Williams saved our bacon with a 3-point play and a block to ice the game.

That's how fickle the NCAA tournament can be. We're were lucky in some moments and unlucky in others. The tourney is a crap shoot. Fucking Kevin Ollie won an NCAA title. The guy got run out of UCONN. If he was half the coach of Sean Miller, he'd still have a job.

You're gonna have bad luck and good luck in the NCAAs. Lute had it both ways. Hell, if Steve Kerr shoots even poorly, we beat Oklahoma in '88. Instead, he was a horrific (Nico-like) 2-13.

The important thing is that your coach gets you in position to make a run in the tourney. You can't advance and win if you don't have a quality team that makes the tourney consistently. We've generally had that with Miller save for last year's asterisk season. And we'll have that this year, too. The better the seeding, the less likely you're bitten by bad luck and it costs you a game.

If you've followed Arizona basketball long enough there are plenty of games Arizona could've and should've won -- but didn't. This was long before Miller was coach.

In 2011, Arizona over-achieved to reach the Elite 8. It just so happens that UCONN overachieved even more. Our luck ran out after three games. Their's didn't. If SDSU could make wide open shots, UCONN doesn't get past the Sweet 16.

How damn lucky was Virginia last season? Purdue had them beat, dead to right. Tony Bennett got a gift from the basketball gods. How bad was it that Virginia needed THAT KIND OF LUCK to beat a very mediocre Purdue team? A perfectly tipped ball on an intentionally missed free throw -- a wild scramble for a loose ball -- and then a wide open player in the scramble who beats the buzzer with the game winner. Coaching genius. Tony Bennett is amazing!!!!!

The same Bennett who got his ass beat by a 16 seed for the first time in tournament history.

Sean Miller has been on both sides of the "luck coin" and more so on the bad side. He's certainly due for a little karma. But it's not guaranteed. It's never guaranteed.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So you think Bill Self is the best coach of the modern era right?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:So you think Bill Self is the best coach of the modern era right?
As much as we love to make fun of Self and his "chaps," I think Self is a really great coach. You don't win that many conference titles in a row without being a great coach. He won at Tulsa. He won at Illinois. He's won at KU. The fact that he's had some stinkers confirms my position on the NCAA tourney.

You don't think Coach K is a great coach? Duke lost to Mercer. And Lehigh. In the NCAA tournament. Mercer. And Lehigh.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I would trade everything Miller has done for one title. That is the only thing that matters. Miller has not even gotten to a final four. That is on him. Every other good coach has been able to reach one by now
loomer

Post by loomer »

zonagrad wrote:I'm amused by the selective memory incorporated by some of Miller's detractors. For instance, Arizona was damn fortunate to be in the Eite 8 in 2011. Winnable against UCONN? Absolutely. If Derrick Williams doesn't get in early foul trouble (Miller's fault?) then Arizona wins. When he was on the court, Arizona dominated the contest. If we play UCONN ten times that season -- I think we win 6-7 of those meetings.

Now go back to the Duke meeting. We were getting outplayed in the first half. Williams hit an unconscionable 3 pointer at the buzzer to cut the halftime deficit to six. Otherwise, we're looking at trailing the region's top seed by 9 at the break. Our second half against Duke was probably the best half of basketball in the NCAA tournament by ANY Arizona team ever, except perhaps the second half vs. Missouri in the '94 regional final. We made everything. MoMo Jones couldn't miss with mid-range jumpers. If we play that same Duke team ten times, we're lucky to win 5 of those meetings.

Prior to that game, we were lucky as hell to beat Texas in the second round. We were the better team. The refs kept UT in the game as their top guard paraded to the FT line the whole second half. Then we went cold and it looked like we were done. Miller kept our guys playing hard to the very end. And you know what? We got a 5-second call from the official on a UT inbound. That's a call we'd be bitching about until the end of time if the roles were reversed. It was more like a 4.2 second call. Anyway, we got it. And Williams saved our bacon with a 3-point play and a block to ice the game.

That's how fickle the NCAA tournament can be. We're were lucky in some moments and unlucky in others. The tourney is a crap shoot. Fucking Kevin Ollie won an NCAA title. The guy got run out of UCONN. If he was half the coach of Sean Miller, he'd still have a job.

You're gonna have bad luck and good luck in the NCAAs. Lute had it both ways. Hell, if Steve Kerr shoots even poorly, we beat Oklahoma in '88. Instead, he was a horrific (Nico-like) 2-13.

The important thing is that your coach gets you in position to make a run in the tourney. You can't advance and win if you don't have a quality team that makes the tourney consistently. We've generally had that with Miller save for last year's asterisk season. And we'll have that this year, too. The better the seeding, the less likely you're bitten by bad luck and it costs you a game.

If you've followed Arizona basketball long enough there are plenty of games Arizona could've and should've won -- but didn't. This was long before Miller was coach.

In 2011, Arizona over-achieved to reach the Elite 8. It just so happens that UCONN overachieved even more. Our luck ran out after three games. Their's didn't. If SDSU could make wide open shots, UCONN doesn't get past the Sweet 16.

How damn lucky was Virginia last season? Purdue had them beat, dead to right. Tony Bennett got a gift from the basketball gods. How bad was it that Virginia needed THAT KIND OF LUCK to beat a very mediocre Purdue team? A perfectly tipped ball on an intentionally missed free throw -- a wild scramble for a loose ball -- and then a wide open player in the scramble who beats the buzzer with the game winner. Coaching genius. Tony Bennett is amazing!!!!!

The same Bennett who got his ass beat by a 16 seed for the first time in tournament history.

Sean Miller has been on both sides of the "luck coin" and more so on the bad side. He's certainly due for a little karma. But it's not guaranteed. It's never guaranteed.
I mean that Purdue team was far from mediocre. They were an elite offensive team led by an All-American with a nice supporting cast. Their numbers are better than every Miller team sans the TJ years. Virginia's pre-2019 tournament numbers are some of the best ever. Bennett coached a great team that just happened to play worse in the tournament. They shot way below their average from 3, ACC Tournament and on, but were still able to pull games out. Yes they won some critical games due to some luck, but you still have to be good enough to put yourself in a position to win even when you're not playing your best, and they consistently did that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I have been fully supportive of Miller for many years now, but at some point you have to make your own luck. Yes Miller is no different but the perception about him is and therefore his recruiting ability and the strength of his words are. At some point you have to break through.

Funny that the elites of the game have not had nearly as much bad luck as Miller.

And for you scenario 2 is by far better. If people other than Miller lover and apologist cared about number 1, Bill Self would be considered a top 3 coach of all time.
I'll just say this. I would put whatever board cache I've got on the idea that making your luck is overrated. Duke won in 14-15 because Wisky eliminated the KY undefeated juggernaut, then played a much worse game in the title game.

Duke was loaded last year and didn't make a Final Four.

How do you get luck? You consistently put yourself in a position where a little luck can tip you over. That's why people should care about Miller producing winning teams that are talented and highly ranked. Those teams win for a reason.

Flame me for this, but I think it's the epitome of casual fan thinking to say there's a special "tournament" team vs the regular season winners. How to win basketball games doesn't change a buttload in the tourney. But we treat Dana Altman's one year run in a way we don't with Miller's more consistent success.

One last thing. The FBI investigation had an unprecedented impact on Arizona. Yet less than two years from some of the devastation, we're mad things are only rebuilt to the point where we're a top 25 team with a very high ceiling and 3 freshman stars.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

PHXCATS wrote:I would trade everything Miller has done for one title. That is the only thing that matters. Miller has not even gotten to a final four. That is on him. Every other good coach has been able to reach one by now
UCONN Boosters: Winning the title is not enough for you to keep your job, Kevin Ollie.

PHXCATS: Hold my beer.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Great post above zonagrad even if we disagree in minor points. Thanks for that.

I just feel at 10 years there is a body of work that can be looked upon. Not saying I want to jettison Miller and that it’s fair to have criticisms with this team in dec, but looking at the body of work patterns are emerging this season similar to seasons past and we know how those went. We’ve all seen this show before.

Miller is not above criticism and it’s time to deliver especially with what is coming down the line.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RawleArenas wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I would trade everything Miller has done for one title. That is the only thing that matters. Miller has not even gotten to a final four. That is on him. Every other good coach has been able to reach one by now
UCONN Boosters: Winning the title is not enough for you to keep your job, Kevin Ollie.

How many PAC-12 regular season title t-shirts do you own?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'll just say this. I would put whatever board cache I've got on the idea that making your luck is overrated. Duke won in 14-15 because Wisky eliminated the KY undefeated juggernaut, then played a much worse game in the title game.

How do you get luck? You consistently put yourself in a position where a little luck can tip you over. That's why people should care about Miller producing winning teams that are talented and highly ranked. Those teams win for a reason.

Flame me for this, but I think it's the epitome of casual fan thinking to say there's a special "tournament" team vs the regular season winners. How to win basketball games doesn't change a buttload in the tourney. But we treat Dana Altman's one year run in a way we don't with Miller's more consistent success.

One last thing. The FBI investigation had an unprecedented impact on Arizona. Yet less than two years from some of the devastation, we're mad things are only rebuilt to the point where we're a top 25 team with a very high ceiling and 3 freshman stars.
There were many warning signs about Book Richardson before 2017. The FBI is 100% on Miller. 100%

the bullship espn report by Schlabach is a different story
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RawleArenas wrote:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
RawleArenas wrote:

Since Miller has taken over at Arizona, UCONN has won 2 titles and made the tournament two other times. 4/11 with two titles is a million times better than 8/11 with zero titles
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Here's what I hate about make or break time posts.

There were many warning signs about Book Richardson before 2017. The FBI is 100% on Miller. 100%

It is world class revisionist history to act like the FBI stumbling into this based on an unrelated CS from Pittsburgh and subsequently tapping Dawkins, et. al. was somehow capable of being anticipated.

World class.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
RawleArenas wrote:

Since Miller has taken over at Arizona, UCONN has won 2 titles and made the tournament two other times. 4/11 with two titles is a million times better than 8/11 with zero titles
Except that is not the choice you get in the real world. No one offers you the ability to select between the two.

You think Kevin Ollie had some special quality that allowed him to win a natty, then he abruptly lost it after? Or is this a scenario where we need to get a coach who will pledge his soul to the devil, and Miller just hasn't done that?

That's a false choice that fans/programs/coaches don't get.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Here's what I hate about make or break time posts.

It is world class revisionist history to act like the FBI stumbling into this based on an unrelated CS from Pittsburgh and subsequently tapping Dawkins, et. al. was somehow capable of being anticipated.

World class.
Book was suspended for giving a convicted felon inside information. Was that not a red flag that he could have been doing other stupid shit.

I know there are many who agree with me, the FBI thing was not and is still not that big of a deal. the espn story is the major deal. Recruiting was fine until that espn story came out. Auburn, doing better, USC, doing better, Kansas, doing fine, OK State, same as always, so why is Arizona the only one with issue from the FBI? its not, it is the bullshit espn stuff
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I don't know how you can describe Virginia's title run last year without using the word "luck."

Good grief, the win over Purdue was a once in a lifetime event for a coach or program. Then Virginia got gifted again from the gods against Auburn. Auburn had a 4 point lead with 10 seconds to play. TEN!!!!!!!

Auburn had a chance to ice the game but missed a second FT. Kyle Guy was "fouled" on a 3 point attempt with essentially no time left-- a call that Auburn fans no doubt think was bullshit. That was the game.

If the planets don't align for Virginia and Tony Bennett -- he's got the label of a choker. I mean, Virginia choked away a Final Four against Syracuse. They had a 14 point lead at the half. They had a 15 point lead with under 10 minutes to play. If that's not the definition of choking, I don't know what is.

On top of that -- Virginia is forever immortalized as the ONLY #1 seed to lose in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Up until last March, Virginia fans weren't just beginning to doubt Bennett -- they'd seen enough.

Of course, all is forgiven now. And Bennett didn't do anything other than put his team in the tournament ( a very good team) again and again. And he was gifted with a tournament run of luck that not even the '83 NC State team could fathom.

Miller's crime is being on the shitty end of some bad officiating in '14 against Wisconsin and a ridiculous shooting performance the following year. NONE OF THAT IS ON MILLER. NONE OF IT.

Blowing an 8 point lead to Xavier on Miller? Sure, I guess so when your opponent suddenly makes every shot in the last two minutes and your best player on the court doesn't assert himself and defers to others who else are you gonna blame? Blame the coach, certainly not the players who just didn't finish strong.

There's not one Arizona fan on these boards who doesn't want a Miller Final Four. Desperately wants one. And of course there's room for criticism. But him not getting there this year and parting ways will absolutely guarantee Arizona won't see a final four for a minimum of five years, regardless who the next coach is. And five years is generous -- there's no guarantee it won't be 10, 15, 20 or ever.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:But him not getting there this year and parting ways will absolutely guarantee Arizona won't see a final four for a minimum of five years, regardless who the next coach is. And five years is generous -- there's no guarantee it won't be 10, 15, 20 or ever.

This is total bullshit. Coach Cal comes here and he would not make a final four in five years guaranteed?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:
zonagrad wrote:But him not getting there this year and parting ways will absolutely guarantee Arizona won't see a final four for a minimum of five years, regardless who the next coach is. And five years is generous -- there's no guarantee it won't be 10, 15, 20 or ever.

This is total bullshit. Coach Cal comes here and he would not make a final four in five years guaranteed?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Coach Cal isn't coming to Arizona. Not unless there's some crazy scandal in Lexington that gets him fired. When Lute left it was a messy cleanup. Sean Miller wasn't even our first choice. And then it took some begging to get him here.

There is zero guarantee the coach you hire to replace Miller will be an improvement. First off, you aren't getting a coach who's been to the final four unless you're ready to make an offer to Kevin Ollie. So you're going to have to roll the dice with a coach you hope will be able to match Miller's regular season success. And that's not a guarantee. The odds are better that you end up like UCLA -- hiring a Steve Alford-type who slowly trends downward for a few seasons until you can't fucking take it anymore and you part ways and roll the dice again with someone like Mick Cronin. And you hope it'll work out better than Alford -- but again there's no guarantees. And so you're looking a a 3-4 year rebuilding job (UCLA just lost at home to a 3-win Fullerton team). Do you honestly think UCLA is gonna be good next year? Hell, if Cronin is successful he won't be sniffing the NCAA tournament until 2022 at the absolute earliest.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

There is zero guarantee that the new coach will not be an improvement
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Sean Miller nearly made a Final Four in his 2nd year at Arizona after inheriting what amounted to Nic Wise and a bunch of dudes. Chris Beard made it to the Final Four at Texas Tech in 3 years and he inherited JACK SHIT. Ben Howland made a Final Four at UCLA after inheriting a 10-19 team in his third year at UCLA.

Sure though, there's no way Arizona could hire an up and coming head coach who could lead us to a final four in his first 5 years on the job.

I swear some of you have your heads so far up your asses it's hilarious.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Sean Miller nearly made a Final Four in his 2nd year at Arizona after inheriting what amounted to Nic Wise and a bunch of dudes. Chris Beard made it to the Final Four at Texas Tech in 3 years and he inherited JACK SHIT. Ben Howland made a Final Four at UCLA after inheriting a 10-19 team in his third year at UCLA.

Sure though, there's no way Arizona could hire an up and coming head coach who could lead us to a final four in his first 5 years on the job.

I'd respond like this. List out modern era hires of major programs and their success rate.

Over 50% aren't very good and get fired after producing subpar results. UCLA post-Wooden has very few good coaches. Kentucky's got a Billy Gillispie for every Calipari. UNC had Matt Doherty before Roy. Indiana spent many years trying to talk themselves into Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Dan Dakich and Tom Crean.

People used to think UConn was a blueblood. Georgetown used to be dominant. UNLV used to be a big deal out West.

I fully agree it's not impossible we could hire a really good coach. I do think the chances of hiring someone above Miller's level would be fairly low based on Miller's performance and comparable hiring situations.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Sean Miller nearly made a Final Four in his 2nd year at Arizona after inheriting what amounted to Nic Wise and a bunch of dudes. Chris Beard made it to the Final Four at Texas Tech in 3 years and he inherited JACK SHIT. Ben Howland made a Final Four at UCLA after inheriting a 10-19 team in his third year at UCLA.

I'd respond like this. List out modern era hires of major programs and their success rate.

Over 50% aren't very good and get fired after producing subpar results. UCLA post-Wooden has very few good coaches. Kentucky's got a Billy Gillispie for every Calipari. UNC had Matt Doherty before Roy. Indiana spent many years trying to talk themselves into Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Dan Dakich and Tom Crean.

People used to think UConn was a blueblood. Georgetown used to be dominant. UNLV used to be a big deal out West.

I fully agree it's not impossible we could hire a really good coach. I do think the chances of hiring someone above Miller's level would be fairly low based on Miller's performance and comparable hiring situations.
If no Ollie-esque run this year, recruit OKGs and DWWD for how long? This isn't UVA. We can pull blue chippers. A coach willing to adapt is a better fit at UA.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

This is disappointing Choo. You've had some really good takes and usually are pretty balanced. On this take, you're way off the mark. In watching basketball for many years, it is very very difficult to be better than good through replacing coach ( as UCLA and Texas have learned) it is nearly impossible to be better than great. The only comparable scenario I can think of is the Bill Self/Roy Williams situation where you switch one HOF coach for another. That's an extreme outlier.

It's been five years since Duke and Kentucky have made a FF and they do not look poised to get back there anytime soon. Mainly because the old recipe does not work anymore. You can't focus exclusively on high level talent acquisition, you must have balance.

The only thing Miller hasn't achieved is collecting the hardware. However, at one time Jay Wright and Roy were in the same boat. There's too much RIcky Bobby-ish thinking in Arizona, you're either first or last. If you define the culture of Arizona only by getting FF's that culture is going to be toxic. And make no mistake, Miller has benefited from the Arizona name in his tenure, but he has also supersized and BUILT the program to where it is now.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

RawleArenas wrote:

This is disappointing Choo. You've had some really good takes and usually are pretty balanced. On this take, you're way off the mark. In watching basketball for many years, it is very very difficult to be better than good through replacing coach ( as UCLA and Texas have learned) it is nearly impossible to be better than great. The only comparable scenario I can think of is the Bill Self/Roy Williams situation where you switch one HOF coach for another. That's an extreme outlier.

It's been five years since Duke and Kentucky have made a FF and they do not look poised to get back there anytime soon. Mainly because the old recipe does not work anymore. You can't focus exclusively on high level talent acquisition, you must have balance.

The only thing Miller hasn't achieved is collecting the hardware. However, at one time Jay Wright and Roy were in the same boat. There's too much RIcky Bobby-ish thinking in Arizona, you're either first or last. If you define the culture of Arizona only by getting FF's that culture is going to be toxic. And make no mistake, Miller has benefited from the Arizona name in his tenure, but he has also supersized and BUILT the program to where it is now.
So Beard and Altman are anomalies? They are getting 5* recruits to non-basketball schools and are poised for another FF run. I'm not willing to accept mediocrity from the program LUTE built.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

How do you define mediocrity??? Having the third most wins in Pac-12 history, only behind Lute and Wooden is the opposite of mediocrity.

Ricky Bobby-isms at their finest.

Lute was extremely fortunate to have four generational guards that were available on the west coast in the 1990s (Stoudamire, Terry, Bibby, Arenas). Those players made his career. That level of talent is simply not available. It goes higher than finding 5 star guards, that type of talent is generational, and is rarely available. Texas Tech runs a very different program than Arizona, apples and oranges. Same with Gonzaga.

Also, as an aside Pritchard has made Altman's career as well. Having a point guard who is ready from day who can lead the team at a high level for four years is rare as well. We'll see how well Altman fares in the coming years.

People refuse to let the season play out.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

RawleArenas wrote:How do you define mediocrity??? Having the third most wins in Pac-12 history, only behind Lute and Wooden is the opposite of mediocrity.

Ricky Bobby-isms at their finest.

Lute was extremely fortunate to have four generational guards that were available on the west coast in the 1990s (Stoudamire, Terry, Bibby, Arenas). Those players made his career. That level of talent is simply not available. It goes higher than finding 5 star guards, that type of talent is generational, and is rarely available. Texas Tech runs a very different program than Arizona, apples and oranges. Same with Gonzaga.

Also, as an aside Pritchard has made Altman's career as well. Having a point guard who is ready from day who can lead the team at a high level for four years is rare as well. We'll see how well Altman fares in the coming years.

People refuse to let the season play out.
You're not interested in championships? Don't gaslight me. Lute brought a FF to Iowa and championship to Arizona. Cal same at UMass, Memphis, and UK. Billy Donovan won two titles at Florida FFS. It's the definition of insanity to stick to what doesn't work.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Sure, go right ahead. I'm not interested in championships at all. I just want mediocrity and Pac-12 tourney titles.

Just for humor, please define what gaslighting means, I'm curious.

And its always a good idea to compare any coach at Arizona to first ballot HOF coaches.
prh

Post by prh »

I'm curious 2 things:

Who here would have dumped Jay Wright and Tony Bennett at their respective schools before they won a title?

Who here would brush multiple rapes under the rug in order to get a FF? (Altman)

I'm not saying we shouldn't be concerned and/or critical of Miller. Just that while we're on this subject of repeating what's not working (Wright/Bennett) or this whole concept of trading things for achievements, I'm curious.

(To save anyone the trouble of wikipedia, Bennett's title was his 10th season at UVA and Wright's was his 15th at Nova)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TatetheGreat wrote:
RawleArenas wrote:

So Beard and Altman are anomalies? They are getting 5* recruits to non-basketball schools and are poised for another FF run. I'm not willing to accept mediocrity from the program LUTE built.
This isn't mediocrity. I posted it earlier, but Miller's winning percentage is basically the same as Lute. Miller has won a higher % of Pac regular season titles than Lute.

That's what I worry about. We'll forget what mediocrity looks like, get rid of Miller and bring in a new coach who shows us what mediocrity really looks like. Real mediocrity doesn't have top five recruiting classes and complaining about a coach's "Elite Eight Ceiling."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:I'm curious 2 things:

Who here would have dumped Jay Wright and Tony Bennett at their respective schools before they won a title?

Who here would brush multiple rapes under the rug in order to get a FF? (Altman)

I'm not saying we shouldn't be concerned and/or critical of Miller. Just that while we're on this subject of repeating what's not working (Wright/Bennett) or this whole concept of trading things for achievements, I'm curious.

(To save anyone the trouble of wikipedia, Bennett's title was his 10th season at UVA and Wright's was his 15th at Nova)
4 years before Nova won their first of two titles, Wright went 13-19 in his 11th year. People think Miller isn't Arizona good because he's only in the Top 25 and lost 3 OOC games in his 11th year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RawleArenas wrote:

FFS I'm not saying any hire Arizona would make will 100% achieve great achievements, but people here are acting as if it's a foregone conclusion that any guy we hire could never dream of being as good as Sean Miller within 5 years when there are countless examples of coaches who inherited far worse and were able to achieve great things within 5 years. That's my point, nothing more, nothing less.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:I'm curious 2 things:

Based on what rosters make the final four and win national championships predominantly in this era I'd argue that Jay Wright and Tony Bennett's strategy in regards to roster management is infinitely superior to Sean Miller's strategy, which goes down deep into what every one's issue is with Sean Miller, which is that he doesn't evolve his strategy ever. He does what he does. There's an obvious ceiling to what Miller does in all facets quite frankly.