Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
zonagrad wrote:For all the haters and doubters, Arizona may not be up to your “standards.” But they’re also not ranked 12th like Maryland and down 19 at unranked Iowa. Arizona is still way underrated. The metrics say so. And the dividends will be paid come March.
Underrated teams don't lose to every good team they play... that just means they aren't that good.
We should forfeit our remaining games so we don't have to deal with this disappointment, right?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Arizona is ranked 311th out of 353 teams in luck so far this season. Sounds about right.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
zonagrad wrote:For all the haters and doubters, Arizona may not be up to your “standards.” But they’re also not ranked 12th like Maryland and down 19 at unranked Iowa. Arizona is still way underrated. The metrics say so. And the dividends will be paid come March.
Underrated teams don't lose to every good team they play... that just means they aren't that good.
Can you please define what a meaningful game is?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
One we lost. If we win, it's not nearly as meaningful.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
One we lost. If we win, it's not nearly as meaningful.
I maybe biased but I think PAC12 title games are more important than games in January. But I am a turd fan so I have to wait on hater to answer
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:I am a turd fan
Uh huh
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I love it that the admins and mods edit my posts.

God bless you guys
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Fire Bill Self. Lost to a lower rank team at home by double digits......
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

That 5 point loss @ Baylor looks worse with each passing week....
Mike Luke's burner account.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Is that, with today’s loss, Kansas is 5-2 against quad 1 teams?

We are 0-3.

I’m sure people are intelligent enough to understand the difference between those two things, so I won’t take the time to explain it.

——>excuse away!!
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

A horrific loss obviously.
Edit: 4 horrific losses obviously.
Mike Luke's burner account.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

TheCat wrote:Fire Bill Self. Lost to a lower rank team at home by double digits......
See, but the thing is, if he gets fired and coaches my Spurs I'm gonna have to off myself. So, it's a thing with me.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Fire Tony Bennett. Lost to an unranked 9-7 Syracuse Team. 6 of Syracuse victory's came against such powerhouses as Niagara, Colgate, North Florida, Bucknell, Cornell and their toughest Oakland.
Fire Roy Williams. Lost to Clemson who had never won at UNC before.

Put this season in perspective. Sean recruited a top 10 class with potential probation and ESPN lies hanging over his head. We are lucky to have a coach of his caliber here. We could have that final 4 coach from Texas Tech who is currently getting his butt handed to him again this year.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

SCCats wrote:Is that, with today’s loss, Kansas is 5-2 against quad 1 teams?

We are 0-3.

I’m sure people are intelligent enough to understand the difference between those two things, so I won’t take the time to explain it.

——>excuse away!!
We have a common opponent and Kansas was never in that game at home. We played the same team at their place and lost by less. The quad 1 teams they beat wont be quad 1's at the end of the year. A bit like Ohio State.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We are 0-3.

——>excuse away!!
Want to name those 5 quad one teams genius. They beat West Virginia (17), Texas Tech (22) (wont be ranked next week) and their one good win is Dayton. They lost to the 3 good teams they played: Duke, Baylor and Villanova. Looks a lot like Baylor, Oregon and the the Zags to me (except lower rated). We are 0-3 against the #1, #3 (at least) and #9 team. Who knows how we would have done against the 17th & 22nd ranked team.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

TheCat wrote:

We are 0-3.

——>excuse away!!
Want to name those 5 quad one teams genius. They beat West Virginia (17), Texas Tech (22) (wont be ranked next week) and their one good win is Dayton. They lost to the 3 good teams they played: Duke, Baylor and Villanova. Looks a lot like Baylor, Oregon and the the Zags to me (except lower rated). We are 0-3 against the #1, #3 (at least) and #9 team. Who knows how we would have done against the 17th & 22nd ranked team.
So you’re saying they’ve beaten quad 1 teams and we haven’t.

I agree.

We will wait for OUR next chance to beat a fringe top 25 team in the hope we can justify believing we can make it to the S16.

And then we’ll rinse and repeat all the excuses next year.

And, slowly, people will probably get sick of it. As they slowly are.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I'm saying they would have lost to the same teams we played. If you disagree you are just wrong....as usual.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

A lot of good takes in the last few pages of the thread. I may fall into the camp that has given up on Miller, but I do not think he should be given the boot anytime soon. I think he needs probably 3-4 more seasons (including this one). He has earned the opportunity to build beyond the NCAA bullshit punishment (if any).

Statistically as many have pointed out, we are trending in the right direction this season, but the results have not been there. My fear is that the first six years we had with Miller was the peak, and now his path is on the decline. Granted, as many of pointed out, we have had some bad luck with transfers, injuries, and early departures for the NBA. I disregard last season because of everything that caused the recruiting class to fall apart etc....

I think everyone in both camps wants Miller to succeed. However, some feel that maybe the best is behind us and coming up short with our expected talent is the norm.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

TheCat wrote:I'm saying they would have lost to the same teams we played. If you disagree you are just wrong....as usual.
You’ll insert your excuse here—->

We all wait for them with baited breath!!

“This team was supposed to compete for a final four!””

——>“But they’re freshmen!”

——>”But the free throw didn’t go in!”

——->”If only we had done something different, we would’ve won!”
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well if you don't think having experience counts then you have proven yourself wrong again. Might be a record for a genius. Well I think Sean is a pretty good free throw shooter so I guess he just doesn't teach that.........keep talking.......you are amusing.

Sean just doesn't want to win as much as you or have nearly your experience. :lol: :o :roll:
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

People who hate Miller have not looked out the window across the basketball landscape for the harvest of newly sprouting good coaches since the apocalypse happened...

Good bad or indifferent replacing Miller would destroy the program for at least 5 years because even if Mark Few was available there is no fly fishing here and no other coaches could possibly draw a decent recruit to the desert...

Stop eating the paint kings commercials from off the window sill that stuff has lead in it.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Shaka Smart has a FF at VCU. At Texas, he has only reached March Madness 2 out of 4 years and never got out of the 1st weekend. Is that better than Miller at Arizona? He gets top 10 recruiting classes too.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:and no other coaches could possibly draw a decent recruit to the desert...
This is the stupidest fucking thing I've seen posted on this site. Take a bow.

Sean Miller was literally known for his recruiting at Xavier before we hired him. True story guys. The brand of Arizona and every thing that comes with it did nothing whatsoever in his ability to pursue talent.

CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:and no other coaches could possibly draw a decent recruit to the desert...

Sean Miller was literally known for his recruiting at Xavier before we hired him. True story guys. The brand of Arizona and every thing that comes with it did nothing whatsoever in his ability to pursue talent.

Give me a name on the horizon that is available and can recruit at his level...

I'll wait.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'll wait.
Oh good christ.

Any coach is able to improve his recruiting based on the school he coaches at. Steve Alford was able to land better talent at UCLA than he did New Mexico and guess what so is Mick Cronin than he did at Cincinnati. Sean Miller was able to land better talent at Arizona than he did at Xavier. Archie Miller was able to land better talent at Indiana than he was at Dayton. Bill Self was able to land better talent at Kansas than he was at Illinois. Do I really need to continue? Saying no other coach not named Sean Miller would not be able to recruit talent to Arizona is the fucking stupidest thing ever uttered on this site. The name Arizona gets you into recruitments it wouldn't have at other jobs. It's not exactly complicated logic.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Here was Sean Miller's last recruiting class at Xavier. It was by far his best class there and the others aren't even close. WOW WHAT A MONSTER RECRUITER HE WAS BEFORE HE CAME TO ARIZONA!

https://247sports.com/college/xavier/Se ... l/Commits/" target="_blank
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'll wait.
Oh good christ.

Any coach is able to improve his recruiting based on the school he coaches at. Steve Alford was able to land better talent at UCLA than he did New Mexico and guess what so is Mick Cronin than he did at Cincinnati. Sean Miller was able to land better talent at Arizona than he did at Xavier. Archie Miller was able to land better talent at Indiana than he was at Dayton. Bill Self was able to land better talent at Kansas than he was at Illinois. Do I really need to continue? Saying no other coach not named Sean Miller would not be able to recruit talent to Arizona is the fucking stupidest thing ever uttered on this site. The name Arizona gets you into recruitments it wouldn't have at other jobs. It's not exactly complicated logic.
UCLA is a built in recruiting program, everyone knows that, you could hire Krusty the Clown and he'd get recruits going to the most applied for school in the nation...

Every school you've named vs the one they left has a basketball tradition GREATER than the school they were from...ie: Indiana>Dayton|Kansas>Illinois|UCLA>UNM...

Miller has helped build UA into a recruiting base, remember Kevin O'neill's great recruiting prowess? Or perhaps Pennells?????

We were a powerhouse of west coast recruiting when Miller took over, I'll give you that...</sarcasm>

Go ahead and accept the idiot award, you don't even need to wear a tux and show up at the ceremony, it's yours no contest.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
UCLA is a built in recruiting program, everyone knows that, you could hire Krusty the Clown and he'd get recruits going to the most applied for school in the nation...
Cool, so does Arizona.
CatFanOneMil wrote:Every school you've named vs the one they left has a basketball tradition GREATER than the school they were from...ie: Indiana>Dayton|Kansas>Illinois|UCLA>UNM...
Cool, that doesn't mean Arizona has trouble recruiting nationally regardless who its coach is. How about ie: Arizona>Xavier or how about Arizona>95% of the other programs out there? I like math, thanks for giving me the equation to duplicate.
CatFanOneMil wrote:Miller has helped build UA into a recruiting base, remember Kevin O'neill's great recruiting prowess? Or perhaps Pennells?????
Yeah? How about that Lute Olson guy. I hear he was a good recruiter. It could just be glorified rumors though. It's almost as if he built the Arizona brand up to an elite level and Sean Miller continued said success? Nah that can't be it. We're literally known for the Kevin O'Neill and Russ Pennell eras only.
CatFanOneMil wrote:We were a powerhouse of west coast recruiting when Miller took over, I'll give you that...</sarcasm>
Yeah it's crazy huh? Lute Olson's last year, you know the year where Pennell had to take over just right before the season started? He wrapped up commitments from Abdul Gaddy, Solomon Hill, and Mike Moser. All top 50 guys in their class, Gaddy was even a 5 star at the time. It's crazy how that entire class decommitted after the coach they committed to abruptly retired. Players usually don't decommit when the coach they commit to is gone do they? Nah, that's not a thing. It's kinda crazy though that Sean Miller, who was an average recruiter at Xavier, was able to get Solomon Hill back in the fold and add Derrick Williams and Momo Jones after they became available real late, although he had never recruited them prior to becoming the Arizona head coach. Totally crazy right? It couldn't be the fact that they would've wanted to go to a known major program like Arizona, it must've been they were dying to play for Sean Miller, a coach they barely knew existed. Ehhh, oh well, it's all crazy right?
CatFanOneMil wrote:Go ahead and accept the idiot award, you don't even need to wear a tux and show up at the ceremony, it's yours no contest.
I'd gladly accept the award if you didn't run away with it all on your own. I couldn't hope to catch up to you genius. By the way next time I'm charging for the history lessons as well as the gas money for taking your ass to school.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'll wait.
Oh good christ.

Every school you've named vs the one they left has a basketball tradition GREATER than the school they were from...ie: Indiana>Dayton|Kansas>Illinois|UCLA>UNM...

Miller has helped build UA into a recruiting base, remember Kevin O'neill's great recruiting prowess? Or perhaps Pennells?????

We were a powerhouse of west coast recruiting when Miller took over, I'll give you that...</sarcasm>

Go ahead and accept the idiot award, you don't even need to wear a tux and show up at the ceremony, it's yours no contest.
You are comparing Miller's recruiting to the recruiting of interim coaches when no one knew the story with Lute?

God this is really fucking stupid
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Cool, so does Arizona.
CatFanOneMil wrote:Every school you've named vs the one they left has a basketball tradition GREATER than the school they were from...ie: Indiana>Dayton|Kansas>Illinois|UCLA>UNM...
Cool, that doesn't mean Arizona has trouble recruiting nationally regardless who its coach is. How about ie: Arizona>Xavier or how about Arizona>95% of the other programs out there? I like math, thanks for giving me the equation to duplicate.
CatFanOneMil wrote:Miller has helped build UA into a recruiting base, remember Kevin O'neill's great recruiting prowess? Or perhaps Pennells?????
Yeah? How about that Lute Olson guy. I hear he was a good recruiter. It could just be glorified rumors though. It's almost as if he built the Arizona brand up to an elite level and Sean Miller continued said success? Nah that can't be it. We're literally known for the Kevin O'Neill and Russ Pennell eras only.
CatFanOneMil wrote:We were a powerhouse of west coast recruiting when Miller took over, I'll give you that...</sarcasm>
Yeah it's crazy huh? Lute Olson's last year, you know the year where Pennell had to take over just right before the season started? He wrapped up commitments from Abdul Gaddy, Solomon Hill, and Mike Moser. All top 50 guys in their class, Gaddy was even a 5 star at the time. It's crazy how that entire class decommitted after the coach they committed to abruptly retired. Players usually don't decommit when the coach they commit to is gone do they? Nah, that's not a thing. It's kinda crazy though that Sean Miller, who was an average recruiter at Xavier, was able to get Solomon Hill back in the fold and add Derrick Williams and Momo Jones after they became available real late, although he had never recruited them prior to becoming the Arizona head coach. Totally crazy right? It couldn't be the fact that they would've wanted to go to a known major program like Arizona, it must've been they were dying to play for Sean Miller, a coach they barely knew existed. Ehhh, oh well, it's all crazy right?
CatFanOneMil wrote:Go ahead and accept the idiot award, you don't even need to wear a tux and show up at the ceremony, it's yours no contest.
I'd gladly accept the award if you didn't run away with it all on your own. I couldn't hope to catch up to you genius. By the way next time I'm charging for the history lessons as well as the gas money for taking your ass to school.
Choo, you baited me into this discussion. It's all your fault.

It seems that the argument that you're making is that the only contribution that Miller brings to Arizona is recruiting, and that virtue in itself does all the work. And that there are a stable of coaches that could come in and duplicate or exceed what Miller has done here.

If we were talking about Pitino, Stevens, or Donovan, maybe. But there are a lot of problems with that assessment because the premise is faulty. Miller does more than just recruit at Arizona.

And while Cronin, Self and Archie have found recruiting success at their respective upgrades, there certainly is an expiration date on the quality of recruits that a coach can bring based on his success on the court, regardless of the past or tradition. Florida is not even a basketball school and their cumulative postseason success eclipses ours (2 titles). And not one fan in Gainesville talks about how Florida (or UCONN for that matter) recruits itself. For lack of a better word, its an extremely lazy way of evaluating Miller's work.

Miller has a background as a high level player and has three gold medals as a player, assistant coach and head coach. In addition to doing less with more at Xavier which is why he chose to come here (albeit reluctantly). Those are extremely strong selling points that not even Lute can boast. That's the reason why despite our tradition, Miller has recruited better than Lute, especially considering the culture of college basketball today.

Also, saying that we're comparable to UCLA is just plain disingenuous. I'm born and raised in Southern California, and while Arizona has a solid tradition, the resources, location and reputation that UCLA has is off the charts. There's no comparison. Apples and oranges. They're unfortunately the victim of incompetent leadership. But when I think of UCLA I'm reminded of what Napoleon said, "Let China sleep, for when she wakes, she will shake the world." UCLA is a giant in hibernation.

A book that I read about Wildcat sports said that after Lute retired, most former players that were interviewed felt that it would take 10 years before Arizona would reach the heights that it had in the past. Once the rebuild went quicker than expected, all those expectations went out the window and fans expected the very best, every year. Miller is largely responsible for that, because he is an excellent coach and program builder. But if you define yourself exclusively by Final Fours (which we continued to choke away even when Lute was here) you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I appreciate what Lute has done for Tucson and the University of Arizona. But nostalgia is a funny thing, it can be as much of a burden as it is a joy.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'll wait.
Oh good christ.

I think it is both the name of the school, results getting folks in the NBA, but most of all the connection the coach makes with the player. The UCLA name got coaches in the recruits living rooms but this is the first time in 40 years they don't have a Mickey D player. It ain't just the name of the school or Indiana, UCLA and UConn would have the best players. Sean Miller makes a connection with the player and the family if they want their son to be coached, held accountable etc. and not just say that junior is perfect Sean will be their coach.

I think your example does not hold water in most cases. For example Archie at Indiana gets better players then he did at Dayton but he does not get the quality of players Bobby Knight got.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I just think that people who say Sean has never been to a final 4 in his time at Arizona and that is unacceptable would have already fired John Wooden and the savior Mark Few took 15 years to get to an ELITE EIGHT.
Everyone is short sighted. They don't understand what stability in a program is worth to parents or recruits. Look at the year where ESPN said he should not ever coach again and look at the recruits we got. Sean is the best coach in the country not to make the final 4. He is a broken foot and a missed shot from making 2.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Oh....and fire Izzo. Michigan State suffered its worst loss ever as a top-10 team to that powerhouse Purdue. Mich St. the preseason #1 scored 42.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'll wait.
I have my eyes on Scott Drew. I'm hanging in there with Miller for now but....
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'll reply to the previous posts when I have more time, but for now all I have to say is this has run its course, it's time to pull the plug on this relationship.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Floodgates——->open

Ok guys, we are going to need a SHITTON of excuses after that.

GO!
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

I’m giving them this week to rebound or else I’m off the miller wagon
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'll reply to the previous posts when I have more time, but for now all I have to say is this has run its course, it's time to pull the plug on this relationship.
If Miller were to coach a team in Oregon, he'd be the 3rd best college coach in the State.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

DWWD.

As Odogg would say, we are a special team this years.

We’re special alright.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Considering next year’s class and what could be another disappointing year, it might be time to move on.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

At least we made some 2nd half adjustments ... they were all bad adjustments... but at least we made some.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Inexcusable second half. Completely inexcusable.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It’s time for a change, guys. Miller had some nice moments at AZ, but our actual basketball performance has stagnated and declined. There are no hard feelings. Just time for a new chapter.
mofo

Post by mofo »

Gotta be hard being an Asst coach at Arizona. How many times in the last 10 years do you think they’ve had some suggestions on beating a zone, offense, changing things up once in a while, etc. to no avail. I don’t know how to attach a pic, but you know “the look” they probably get from Miller when that happens (like he’s going to cut their fingers off with shears one by one).
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Man....that was really hard to watch. I try very hard to not be too reactionary as a fan but idk this performance just really got to me.

Might be time to fire up the hot board? Ugh
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'll reply to the previous posts when I have more time, but for now all I have to say is this has run its course, it's time to pull the plug on this relationship.
I, quite obviously, have no inside knowledge of any kind. But I don't see how you can do that until after the fbi shit has run its course completely.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It’s time to give someone else a shot. This is a good job, and Miller’s had some good years here. But it’s run its course. Let’s get a clean start with a new coach and staff this spring.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Only AFTER the NCAA hammer falls. If we part ways with Miller then maybe the NCAA will go easier on us.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah I'm in the early stages of thinking it's time to move on from Miller sometime in the next year or two. He would do better at a mid major.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I wouldn't be upset if boosters were checking their bank accounts tonight. We can't let fear of the unknown keep us on this road much longer.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller