Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Sean Miller

Post by CalStateTempe »

We’re now just seeing patterns?

I’ve noticed these things since years 5/6 but they are easy to overlook when your program isn under a ncaa Guillotine and you’re competitive.

otherwise good post beach.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Ouch!
That’s pretty harsh, Merkin.

Gabe was never supposed to be “Bibby with a better shot’.

The Shoe Dribbler is my least favorite cat of all time.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Last year Miller most certainly deserved a huge break.

This year? So far, most of the freshmen just lose their composure when in a hostile atmosphere. Will they ever really toughen up before they are history? Quien sabe? But giving the ball away 18-19 times in a road game is a sure recipe for disaster. Add in our PG getting in foul trouble (don't blame Miller for that) and the trouble is compounded. Turnovers and poor shot slection can't, or shouldn't be blamed on Miller. In-game strategy and substitution patterns? Fair game. But I am so very much NOT interested in driving Miller away and hoping the replacement will be better. Because Miller is almost universally considered one of the top coaches in the country, so there is a hell of a lot more room on the downside than on the upside in getting a replacement.

Not arguing with anyone, just my thoughts. I don't post a lot and I don't pretend to know crap about the x's and o's, I just love watching CBB. I have been a Wildcat fan for a long time (saw first game at McKale), and I believe Miller is going to break through.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:For those continuing to defend Miller and argue for patience, I guess I'd just ask what this program's expectations are and whether the culture Miller has created within the program is conducive to greater success.

I don't hear anyone calling Miller a bad coach or saying that his record is embarrassing. It's more that after a decade we're now noticing patterns with this coach. Micromanaging players, questionable understanding of player psychology, slow starts, poor end-of-game strategy, questionable player rotations/starting lineups, general inflexibility with coaching philosophy/strategy (ie: DWWD), multiple tourney losses to teams with less talented players, and I won't even get into the Book stuff.

It's not unreasonable to raise the possibility of a coaching change after a decade. It's also not unreasonable to argue that Miller deserves to remain as coach, given his league titles, outstanding recruiting success and overall winning percentage. I just think that AZ hoops has national championship aspirations, and while many good coaches never reach that level, we're at a point now where we can ask whether Miller ought to be given several more years to get there or if it's better for an amicable parting of ways and a different coach given a chance. There are a lot of good coaches out there, and this is a very, very attractive job.
I'm preaching patience because the calendar says January 27 and not March and the season isn't over. I've seen enough to know that our three freshmen are the best players on the roster and while they're extremely talented, they're under a lot of pressure to cover for the lack of talent, leadership, production, etc... from the other players on the roster (yes, that's Miller's fault).

It's really hard to quantify the damage done from the FBI/ESPN crapshow that unfolded. How much blame do you lay at the feet of Sean Miller? He hired Book Richardson. Was he betrayed by Book because, well, Book was an absolute idiot? There's plenty of room for debate on this issue on another thread.

Back to this season and recovering from the FBI/ESPN trouble. How can you fairly evaluate Miller's recruiting and coaching after the reporting and staining of the program? Maybe you can't and whether Miller likes it or not, fair or unfair, he has to deal with it and by many accounts on this board he's not doing a good job. He's lost most of his experienced staff -- some accepted better jobs. The Phelps dismissal is another mishandled product of the FBI/ESPN shitshow.

Maybe Miller doesn't settle for some recruits but had to because of the FBI/ESPN fallout. Hard to say. He recovered well enough to haul in three pretty good freshmen for THIS season and two pretty good transfers for next year (Brown & Akinjo).

The FBI/ESPN stuff lingers because it's doubtful a guy like Dylan Smith would be getting so much playing time had Miller not been shackled with the negative pub for a full year. Would better recruits or transfers been willing to come under normal circumstances?

And please, don't forget that a really, really good player has not logged a single minute this season. Brandon Williams' absence is probably THE reason Smith is getting so much playing time. Devonaire Doutrive would've been a nice alternative. Or Emmanuel Akot. Etc, etc, etc... Do you blame Miller for recruiting guys who couldn't handle the demands of the program? Will Bynum left early in the '02-'03 season and Dennis Latimore bolted in the middle of '03 season in which Arizona was ranked #1.

Miller has coached Arizona to FIVE Pac 12 Conference titles. His detractors dismiss that because it's not NCAA Tournament success. Ok. Fine.
So now that the regular season success isn't quite panning out as planned -- detractors are still pissed. Why? If that regular season stuff doesn't matter, why not hold your opinion until March when Miller underperforms and then you can pile on with glee?

So, it's January and there's certainly cause for concern. I won't deny that the season has been a disappointment. But considering the circumstances -- it's not a a huge surprise. Hopefully these setbacks are mile markers for for growth. Growth not just for the three freshmen but also for guys like Smith, Gettings, Koloko, Lee, Hazard, etc... This is the first year these guys have played together.

I'm not trying to be Pollyanna -- but there's enough positive pieces to this team to believe they can still have a really nice season. They fought back on the road against an experienced Baylor squad and if it weren't for a bad call on Nnaji in the final minute with the shot clock at :02, maybe they steal a win. If they get any type of call on Pritchard's foul on Nnaji the ref doesn't blow the inadvertent whistle on the last possession, Arizona beats Oregon. And against ASU, don't tell me the last possession with Josh Green isn't called a foul on any normal possession in the middle of the game. No official ignores that. He was cross-checked in the paint. But that's college basketball on the road. And again, all of those games took place ON THE ROAD. I'd be ten times more concerned if those games happened at home.

It's not as though any coaching change is even remotely possible or should be considered in January at Arizona. Let's see how the rest of the year unfolds before drawing concrete conclusions.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
TheCat wrote:But get you fired at Arizona.....and don't forget that is 2 in 16 years.
Who gives a shit? Who is the better coach today? In the same time, Miller has gone to four EEs and has not changed at all. Same guy after 16 years. No growth, no adaptation, nothing. That is with the advantages of coaching at Xavier and Arizona. He's no Thad Matta and certainly no Lute Olson. He hasn't restored Arizona to former glory. He turned it into a mid-major. 11 years in and we're supposed to be happy with that outcome? I'm willing to risk that "success" for a younger coach who does more with less and has experience cleaning up after a scandal. It's only a matter of time until Miller is gone. Get used to it.
You think you can compare a senior laden team to one that starts three freshman. Give 3 freshman to Baylor and they will live up to Drew's conference winning percentage 46%. In 16 years you can't win the conference once...not once. He does have an NIT championship so you got that to look forward to. No one including you has put forth a reasonable alternative. I have no ties to Miller but I did see our alternatives while Lute was ill. Miller will leave when Roy retires.....until then I hope he stays.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I still have hope for our future as a program. I'm just done with the Sean Miller era quite frankly.
Increasingly, this is where most of us are at.
Sorry to see you go Riverside but see ya.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

I think the disenfranchisement for me is the wear down effect. The early exits against Wichita State and Buffalo. Supporting CSM through the FBI scandal and backing him through the ESPN bullshit. Getting excited for this season and the big 3 freshman. Then the last few weeks happened. Just feels like such a let down and almost a betrayal (overly dramatic) of that fandom.

I realize that sounds totally self absorbed and way too involved.

There is still a shred of hope that CSM can turn this thing around this year. In some ways, I would like for that fandom to be vindicated. Unfortunately the light seems to be getting smaller and further away
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Bordercat wrote:and then....

Since taking the Arizona job in 2009, he’s posted a record of 247-73 (.772) and a Pac-12 record of 121-40 (.752). In nine seasons

he’s won five Pac-12 titles, including four of the last five.

that's pretty big.

so maybe we give him some leeway.
I think he's winning percentage is behind two other coaches in PAC history but let's replace him with Scott Drew at 46%. That is idiotic.

My suggestions for improvement:
1. Schedule harder games in the preseason to teach these freshman the reality of college basketball
2. What I think everyone here also forgets is he has almost all new coaches. Keep them for continuity and stability
3. Recruit only those players that really fix your system regardless of stars. Defense/tough minded competitors. I think we get great players but they are a step disconnected in ability and mindset from the realities of playing hard nose defense.
4. DWWD is what we should be doing. Lute played man to man exclusively with a 1-3-1-thrown in. DWWD was good enough for many hall of fame coaches especially Wooden.
5. Surprise teams every once in awhile with something completely different. A Press....more traps although we are doing that some.
6. Get use to the criticism. Because everyone on here is an expert. It doesn't change anywhere though. They are calling for Roy's head, they called for Lute's.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

TheCat wrote:

Since taking the Arizona job in 2009, he’s posted a record of 247-73 (.772) and a Pac-12 record of 121-40 (.752). In nine seasons

that's pretty big.

I think he's winning percentage is behind two other coaches in PAC history but let's replace him with Scott Drew at 46%. That is idiotic.

1. Schedule harder games in the preseason to teach these freshman the reality of college basketball
2. What I think everyone here also forgets is he has almost all new coaches. Keep them for continuity and stability
3. Recruit only those players that really fit your system regardless of stars. Defense/tough minded competitors. I think we get great players but they are a step disconnected in ability and mindset from the realities of playing hard nose defense.
4. DWWD is what we should be doing. Lute played man to man exclusively with a 1-3-1-thrown in. DWWD was good enough for many hall of fame coaches especially Wooden.
5. Surprise teams every once in awhile with something completely different. A Press....more traps although we are doing that some.
6. Get use to the criticism. Because everyone on here is an expert. It doesn't change anywhere though. They are calling for Roy's head, they called for Lute's.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

TheCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
TheCat wrote:But get you fired at Arizona.....and don't forget that is 2 in 16 years.
Who gives a shit? Who is the better coach today? In the same time, Miller has gone to four EEs and has not changed at all. Same guy after 16 years. No growth, no adaptation, nothing. That is with the advantages of coaching at Xavier and Arizona. He's no Thad Matta and certainly no Lute Olson. He hasn't restored Arizona to former glory. He turned it into a mid-major. 11 years in and we're supposed to be happy with that outcome? I'm willing to risk that "success" for a younger coach who does more with less and has experience cleaning up after a scandal. It's only a matter of time until Miller is gone. Get used to it.
You think you can compare a senior laden team to one that starts three freshman. Give 3 freshman to Baylor and they will live up to Drew's conference winning percentage 46%. In 16 years you can't win the conference once...not once. He does have an NIT championship so you got that to look forward to. No one including you has put forth a reasonable alternative. I have no ties to Miller but I did see our alternatives while Lute was ill. Miller will leave when Roy retires.....until then I hope he stays.
Whose fault is that? It wasn't my idea to start three freshmen and two super seniors. Again, who cares about conference winning percentage? It's a means to an end. Duke hasn't won the ACC since 2010. Who gives? If you think Miller is a great coach and a good fit for Arizona, I don't know what to tell you.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
TheCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
Whose fault is that? It wasn't my idea to start three freshmen and two super seniors. Again, who cares about conference winning percentage? It's a means to an end. Duke hasn't won the ACC since 2010. Who gives? If you think Miller is a great coach and a good fit for Arizona, I don't know what to tell you.
You still didn't name a replacement and maybe you heard that we had a bit of a recruiting mess do to an espn article and their talking heads. It was overcome by one person who never complained and just outwork everyone. So what's your replacement name or are you just here to bitch???
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

TheCat wrote:
TheCat wrote:

that's pretty big.

3. Recruit only those players that really fit your system regardless of stars. Defense/tough minded competitors. I think we get great players but they are a step disconnected in ability and mindset from the realities of playing hard nose defense.

Re #1. Agree. But a lot of teams want a 2 for 1 or some other BS. The conference has to improve and that stars with hiring someone to replace Scott.
Re #3. Or he could use a system that accentuates his roster.
Re #2. I don’t think he can control that.
Re #4. Not sure I’d say exclusively. In the Loren Woods era he set Woods by the basket and they funneled the ball at him. The 131 got used (as a surprise halftime adjustment)in the one comeback against KU but the next year KU was ready for it and it didn’t work that well. Plus Salim ran the baseline the first game. I believe the Shoe Dribbler did it the next year and couldn’t pull it off.
Re #5. Sean has so little confidence in anything that he will pull out of a zone after a possession.

A few years ago Duke changed their base defense from Man to Zone between games.
Kwiznewski realized his current roster couldn’t play Man.
CSM won’t do that because he chooses to dig in his heels with DWWD.
I’m guessing he expects players to learn, improve, expand their abilities, yet he refuses to.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

There's not a person on this forum who has sat through ANY of Millers practices this year..Not.A.Damn.One.

So there is not one person on this forum who knows what the hell Miller is trying to teach these new college recruits, we have no idea how much they run zone or any other defense, hell it could be they are playing the very best style of basketball to match the roster as it is...you don't fucking know. You don't.

Can he manage game time time outs better? Maybe...but we don't know what he's saying in time outs either...we don't know what he said in half time...for all you fucking know he read them John Wooden quotes the entire halftime...YOU.DON'T.F'N.KNOW.WHAT.THE.HELL.YOU'RE.TALKING.ABOUT.

Its just as likely that he told the entire team on shoot around that ANY player who took and early clock shot in the last 60 seconds of the first half would not play the second half...to use the clock and hold onto any lead we had to keep momentum before the half...ot he could have just said that in the last time out before the half...WE.DON'T.KNOW.

Everyone NOT coaching the team is an expert...everyone NOT in practice knows exactly what defense is best for this team...everyone NOT responsible for the team knows exactly how to schedule and when to take timeouts.

Seriously.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CatFanOneMil wrote:There's not a person on this forum who has sat through ANY of Millers practices this year..Not.A.Damn.One.

So there is not one person on this forum who knows what the hell Miller is trying to teach these new college recruits, we have no idea how much they run zone or any other defense, hell it could be they are playing the very best style of basketball to match the roster as it is...you don't fucking know. You don't.

Can he manage game time time outs better? Maybe...but we don't know what he's saying in time outs either...we don't know what he said in half time...for all you fucking know he read them John Wooden quotes the entire halftime...YOU.DON'T.F'N.KNOW.WHAT.THE.HELL.YOU'RE.TALKING.ABOUT.

Its just as likely that he told the entire team on shoot around that ANY player who took and early clock shot in the last 60 seconds of the first half would not play the second half...to use the clock and hold onto any lead we had to keep momentum before the half...ot he could have just said that in the last time out before the half...WE.DON'T.KNOW.

Everyone NOT coaching the team is an expert...everyone NOT in practice knows exactly what defense is best for this team...everyone NOT responsible for the team knows exactly how to schedule and when to take timeouts.

Seriously.
great. we still suck and Miller hasn't gotten it done for like 4 years straight now. results are results.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TheCat wrote: You think you can compare a senior laden team to one that starts three freshman. Give 3 freshman to Baylor and they will live up to Drew's conference winning percentage 46%. In 16 years you can't win the conference once...not once. He does have an NIT championship so you got that to look forward to. No one including you has put forth a reasonable alternative. I have no ties to Miller but I did see our alternatives while Lute was ill. Miller will leave when Roy retires.....until then I hope he stays.
How many Sean Miller Arizona teams would have won a Big 12 title over Kansas? Miller's two best teams were 2013-2014 (Wiggins, Embiid and four other future NBA players on Kansas' roster, would have been a dog fight) and 2014-2015 (we probably do win the Big 12 that year). Miller's other Pac 12 title teams: 10-11, 16-17 and 17-18, and it's doubtful we beat out Kansas any of those seasons. It's not a reach to say, at best, Miller would have the same number of Big 12 titles in that time frame as Bruce Weber at K State. Miller has 3 elite 8's here vs Weber's one, but Weber's been at K State about 3 seasons fewer than Miller at Arizona and K State is not even close to the same brand as Arizona.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: You think you can compare a senior laden team to one that starts three freshman. Give 3 freshman to Baylor and they will live up to Drew's conference winning percentage 46%. In 16 years you can't win the conference once...not once. He does have an NIT championship so you got that to look forward to. No one including you has put forth a reasonable alternative. I have no ties to Miller but I did see our alternatives while Lute was ill. Miller will leave when Roy retires.....until then I hope he stays.

Miller will leave when Roy retires? LOLOLOL

I mean if this were 3-4 years ago sure that was on the table. Now? It's infinitely more likely Miller leaves when Arizona decides to not retain him as their head coach than him leaving to take over UNC.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol.
The cat is a funny one!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller isn’t as elite as we like to think he is.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Why would UNC want a coach that can't get out of the Elite 8 with 5 star talent?

Along with probably not making it out of the first weekend with 3 first round draft picks?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Why would UNC want a coach that can't get out of the Elite 8 with 5 star talent?

Along with probably not making it out of the first weekend with 3 first round draft picks?
Keep talking without ever backing it up
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:Why would UNC want a coach that can't get out of the Elite 8 with 5 star talent?

I don't bet. That's your thing, not mine.

But I said it, and you quoted it, so saved for posterity.

If I am wrong, you can come back and bump this.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I kind of think that Miller has lost a great deal of support for good here at Arizona unless we make a DEEP run in March.

And unless the NCAA decides to play all of it's tourney games at McKale.... I don't see that happening.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Miller isn’t as elite as we like to think he is.
No, he isn’t, but he’s also not the incompetent hack some here claim he is. You don’t win league titles and reach E8s by accident. So while his recent track record is trending downward, you have to look at the guy’s entire body of work, which is better than most coaches.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:

Someone please satisfy Machina’s desperate need to make a bet about everything by pulling a fairly large booger out of their nose and wagering it’s more magnificent than his micro penis.

Sorry, I’m a mod and shouldn’t engage in this kind of personal attack, but seriously... can he find that thing with a magnifying glass and a set of tweezers?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

I think the past two months have soured a lot of the diehard fans, especially those who bought all in on CSM and the program after ESPN's screw job. Including myself. I don't think CSM has lost the support for good, though. IF (capitalized for emphasis), this team can play on the road like they did against the mountain schools, I think a reasonable run in March (finals PAC12/Sweet 16) brings most back to a shaky but supportive place of CSM and the program.

People have said that the players have quit or are tuning out CSM. For me I see something different and more worrisome. More that CSM is so frustrated that he is not succeeding and seems lost as to how to find success. His statements the past few years of not getting through to them and needs to do better at giving them confidence. He seems lost. He is going to have to do some (MORE) soul searching . The on court changes he made against the mountain schools and the oh so minimal use of zone gives me a modicum of hope he is capable.

After some reflection, I am rooting for him (have been pretty soured in 2020) as it seems he will be our coach for at least next year. CSM finding his way and success is the best thing for the program.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:I kind of think that Miller has lost a great deal of support for good here at Arizona unless we make a DEEP run in March.

And unless the NCAA decides to play all of it's tourney games at McKale.... I don't see that happening.
Beachcat97 wrote:
No, he isn’t, but he’s also not the incompetent hack some here claim he is. You don’t win league titles and reach E8s by accident. So while his recent track record is trending downward, you have to look at the guy’s entire body of work, which is better than most coaches.
At some point his successes will either be so far in the past that recent results will override any good will he’s built up or so recent that we forget about the bumps along the road.

I’m desperately hoping for the latter scenario while finding myself drawn into the former. Every new year that goes by without a deep tourney run makes all the good years look smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror.

When I think, “What have you done for us lately?”, it’s harder and harder to come up with an answer. That’s not an ideal situation for Miller.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Miller may be an elite recruiter, but his stubbornness to DWWD and trying to force 5 star freshmen athletes into defenses designed for less athletic more experienced teams and running an offense that can't beat a zone makes him very easy to predict, and beat.

Also scheduling the Sisters of Mercy type teams for OOC doesn't help the team at all, although I know it's really hard to get top teams to come to town in today's world.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

And 1 more thing before Machina calls me a fair weather fan and challenges me to make a wager with him...

I 100% hope I'm wrong. I hope Sean Miller never loses another game he coaches at Arizona. I hope this is 97 all over again.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Like guys on this roster, and guys we have had on the roster...

Miller just isn't "Arizona good" anymore.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Merkin wrote:Miller may be an elite recruiter, but his stubbornness to DWWD and trying to force 5 star freshmen athletes into defenses designed for less athletic more experienced teams and running an offense that can't beat a zone makes him very easy to predict, and beat.

Also scheduling the Sisters of Mercy type teams for OOC doesn't help the team at all, although I know it's really hard to get top teams to come to town in today's world.
Agree completely. Top seeds play more ranked opponents. They have no problem scheduling OOC. The selection committee does not give us the benefit of the doubt unless we run the table in conference.

As far as DWWD, I'll add: inability to feed the post, playing two centers together, lack of 3PAs (poor ball movement), lack of transition offense (specifically open 3s but often fast breaks), burning early timeouts, micromanaging late possessions, milking the clock with shrinking leads, playing favorites/bad substitutions, and deflecting blame onto players. He's a system coach who recruits the wrong guys for his system. You don't see Tony Bennett recruiting OADs. He recruits 2-4* players and develops them—many turn pro. If you recruit 5* players, they have to help you win. They must fit the culture and come ready to work. No guys with mercenary mentalities. And as a coach you'd better put them in a position to succeed.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I mean if this were 3-4 years ago sure that was on the table. Now? It's infinitely more likely Miller leaves when Arizona decides to not retain him as their head coach than him leaving to take over UNC.
Choo are you saying I said he would go to UNC as coach? I never said that or meant that or I would have just said Miller will coach UNC when Roy retires. When Roy retires UNC will get the best coach available. Not sure who that will be then but Miller will leave during that major carousel to a high paying team that is replacing their coach. I also think Texas will be in play next year or the year after. Money is no object there. What will jam everything up is if Billy D leaves the Thunder. No one has named a replacement yet other than Scott Drew. Speak up.........
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Statfreak77 wrote:
Like guys on this roster, and guys we have had on the roster...

Miller just isn't "Arizona good" anymore.
So who is "Arizona good"? Kevin O'Neill is available.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

TheCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Choo are you saying I said he would go to UNC as coach? I never said that or meant that or I would have just said Miller will coach UNC when Roy retires. When Roy retires UNC will get the best coach available. Not sure who that will be then but Miller will leave during that major carousel to a high paying team that is replacing their coach. I also think Texas will be in play next year or the year after. Money is no object there. What will jam everything up is if Billy D leaves the Thunder. No one has named a replacement yet other than Scott Drew. Speak up.........
You kind of implied that, yes. Why would Miller leave when Williams retires if not to UNC? Why are those two things connected at all? Texas can have Miller, but I don't see that happening either. I don't expect Donovan to leave the NBA. Beilein was mentioned because he's likely getting fired. Scott Drew is my pick but I guess you don't think he could win in the powerhouse that is the Pac-12. FYI, Drew is already 5-0 against ranked opponents. Miller's best was 5-3 in 2017. With Markkanen et al.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I wonder who wants off the miller bus at the end of this season
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

At least when Howland was about to get shitcanned and Addidas bought UCLA one last elite recruiting class to stay relevant they had a fun team and won the conference title.

Sean never reached the same highs as Howland and in the course of shitting himself out of the house on the backside of the curve can't even stick the landing quite as well as Howland.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

legallykenny wrote:At least when Howland was about to get shitcanned and Addidas bought UCLA one last elite recruiting class to stay relevant they had a fun team and won the conference title.

Sean never reached the same highs as Howland and in the course of shitting himself out of the house on the backside of the curve can't even stick the landing quite as well as Howland.
That’s true. Think that was the Shabazz team. They had a solid regular season but pretty sure they were one and done in the tourney.

If we’re one and done this year, I imagine the calls for a coaching change will grow pretty loud.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Speaking of UCLA, where is O’Neal going?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I wonder who wants off the miller bus at the end of this season
I am on the Miller bus now and will be at the end of the season, barring some ugly revelation related to the NCAA investigation. There were certainly a lot of bumps in the road with Lute, but time proved him to be a great coach. I am hoping for the same outcome with Miller.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I wonder who wants off the miller bus at the end of this season
What bus am I supposed to get on?

The “it’s a slight possibility that Arizona gets a better coach but I have zero clue who that is” bus? Because that one drops you off in the middle of a homeless camp as the driver yells out the window that you have lots of cash and drugs.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Explains a lot when Miller treats college adults like elementary school kids.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 8747f.html" target="_blank

To Miller, these were all justifiable decisions.

“It’s no different than a teacher in the classroom,” Miller said. “There’s certain rules that you have to have in place for the classroom to be able to learn and for every student to have a chance to grow.

“If you want to go to the restroom, you have to use a hall pass. If you have a question, you need to raise your hand and you can’t talk when the teacher is talking. There’s certain protocol. In basketball it’s the same thing.”
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Merkin wrote:Explains a lot when Miller treats college adults like elementary school kids.

“It’s no different than a teacher in the classroom,” Miller said. “There’s certain rules that you have to have in place for the classroom to be able to learn and for every student to have a chance to grow.

“If you want to go to the restroom, you have to use a hall pass. If you have a question, you need to raise your hand and you can’t talk when the teacher is talking. There’s certain protocol. In basketball it’s the same thing.”
I can't believe I just fucking read that. Epic failure. Holy shit.

And yet..I'm not even remotely surprised.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
I am on the Miller bus now and will be at the end of the season, barring some ugly revelation related to the NCAA investigation. There were certainly a lot of bumps in the road with Lute, but time proved him to be a great coach. I am hoping for the same outcome with Miller.
Sorry for the lack of clarity on my part, I meant to imply I wonder what second rounder wants off the miller bus and take the jump to NBA/euro/oz because that might be perceived as a better career option/more fun, than sticking around for other year.

Didn’t mean to imply us as fans on and off the bus. I leave that to others.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:Explains a lot when Miller treats college adults like elementary school kids.

Mid level management thinking.

This ain’t gonna end well guys....

Maybe I am talking about fans on the miller bus after reading that...lol
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Ummmmm...

Ok then.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

You'd just like to see Sean loosen the reins just once, just a little. Especially with a 5th year guy like Hazzard.

I mentioned upthread that Miller seems to have a weak grasp of player psychology. The "gotta have a hall pass to use the restroom" comment only adds to this perception.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

That's my dad talking right there.

I started out as a classroom teacher that way. A few jobs later, and I realize--and fully accept--that I have had to evolve significantly since then, if my students were going to be successful.

This is not an attitude that shows faith in your recruits, much less wins you games.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Was that about Hazzard or random or DD?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:You'd just like to see Sean loosen the reins just once, just a little. Especially with a 5th year guy like Hazzard.

I mentioned upthread that Miller seems to have a weak grasp of player psychology. The "gotta have a hall pass to use the restroom" comment only adds to this perception.
How do you know Miller hasn’t loosened the reins and this is the result? How do you know Miller hasn’t been more lenient and given more latitude and players took advantage?

The answer is you don’t know. You’re not at practice, in the locker room, in the film room or in the huddle. You don’t know.

We do know Devonaire Doutrive was on the team and wasn’t conforming to team responsibilities. He was given multiple chances and ultimately shown the door. It’s not as though Miller has a zero tolerance policy on selfish play. But a coach has to draw the line somewhere.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:You'd just like to see Sean loosen the reins just once, just a little. Especially with a 5th year guy like Hazzard.

How do you know Miller hasn’t loosened the reins and this is the result? How do you know Miller hasn’t been more lenient and given more latitude and players took advantage?

The answer is you don’t know. You’re not at practice, in the locker room, in the film room or in the huddle. You don’t know.

We do know Devonaire Doutrive was on the team and wasn’t conforming to team responsibilities. He was given multiple chances and ultimately shown the door. It’s not as though Miller has a zero tolerance policy on selfish play. But a coach has to draw the line somewhere.
Amen man. All these people hating on Miller and Arizona have no idea what is really going on.

DD was being a turd and is now gone. We also know that Hazard was not being coachable vs asu. I have no issues with what Miller did. And if U of A beat asu and Oregon no one would care about this quote. If Coach K said this quote no one would care. People just looking for justification for their emotional shitshow attitudes towards the program right now.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

An excuse for every season.

A justification for any action.

But this one made me laugh the most...
PHXCATS wrote: And if U of A beat asu and Oregon no one would care about this quote.
“If we hadn’t lost to the 90th ranked team by 20 points, you wouldn’t care about this quote.”

“If we hadn’t then blown a 22 point lead against our crappy rival you wouldn’t care about this quote.”

“If we had just beat a team we lost to, you wouldn’t care about this quote.”

But those things happened.

I wonder if we can transfer this Machinism to football. “You’re only complaining about the defense because we can’t stop anyone. If we could stop anyone, you wouldn’t be complaining at all.”

Such is the nature of complaints. But I’m sure there will be some excuse to sort this all out.