Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lete spit at home and sat on the road.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Now we shit Latte at home and get squat on the road.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Nope.

Still a shit show here.

(We clearly play more up tempo this year...did anyone watch the ASU game? Hazzard should have been benched for what he did, it was more than just that final play but that final play was just insanely bad, and if you relent, then he does it again, or someone else does. The big mistake in that game was not pulling Nico and just doing what you have to with hopes and prayers, because 5 on 4.37 is better than 5 on 4, and Nico got targeted and abused on defense. I love Alex Barcello, but he is barely helping BYU this year as his minutes and scoring fade...I hope he gets it, and he will get the minutes and opportunity, but he wasn't going to snap into it here. That ASU game was a shit show you could see unfolding, and there was plenty of blame to go around for players and staff. But if you think the players are coached to do some of the dumb things they did in the panic, like jump passing lanes with no chance while playing pack line (Dylan, over and over), or, even worse, wings crashing down to the block to take a 5% chance swipe a at a missed FT rebound, leaving their wing open for an advantage runout in a close game (Josh off one of the one and one's for Zeke late in the game)...just dumb little things that gave ASU advantage offense...you aren't thinking straight, and you weren't looking at the staff melting down on each one. For sure he doesn't coach driving one on three with the shot clock off in the first half and time on the clock. How do you stop it? Well, sometimes you have to bench a player. And despite having no time outs, we got a really good look on the final play. Problem is, Josh was 0-forthegame, and passed up a really good look and over-penetrated. )
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

EVCat wrote:I love Alex Barcello, but he is barely helping BYU this year as his minutes and scoring fade...I hope he gets it, and he will get the minutes and opportunity, but he wasn't going to snap into it here.
BYU has the better SOS and Barcello is averaging 30 minutes/game. His shooting percentages are way up. Maybe he needed a change of scenery/coaching. It's kind of ridiculous that a former PG in Miller couldn't make him work as a capable third guard here, though.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
EVCat wrote:I love Alex Barcello, but he is barely helping BYU this year as his minutes and scoring fade...I hope he gets it, and he will get the minutes and opportunity, but he wasn't going to snap into it here.
BYU has the better SOS and Barcello is averaging 30 minutes/game. His shooting percentages are way up. Maybe he needed a change of scenery/coaching. It's kind of ridiculous that a former PG in Miller couldn't make him work as a capable third guard here, though.
Same level of competition in conference...good call.
Last edited by TheCat on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

pc in NM wrote:Miller has the best of these kids for a year.

Many of them have never had true coaching/team discipline before.

If rolling the ball out and encouraging them they'd be undefeated now, and actually play defense for forty minutes a game.

They aren't. and don't.

He's basically got 4-5 months to change their focus, attitudes and behavior....

They need discipline; he has to get their attention....
Oh no....that is micro managing and not relating to kids these days. Let them run free and prosper.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

TheCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
We have ONE ranked opponent left before the conference tourney, same as BYU. Great analysis. Also, you realize Max Hazzard transferred from the Big West, worse than the WCC? He is doing the same per minute in the Pac-12 as he did there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EVCat wrote: Hazzard should have been benched for what he did, it was more than just that final play but that final play was just insanely bad, and if you relent, then he does it again, or someone else does.
What about all the bonehead plays Dylan Smith made, esp to start the 2nd half? Why does Smith get a pass? How many games have we seen where even the announcers question Smith's decision making?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

zonagrad wrote:Arizona loses a game to a very respectable ASU team and it's the end of the world.
9th in the Pac is respectable? What?

And did you watch that game? We should've easily won. There is zero excuse for losing that game.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I blame Miller for the 3 foul shots that were missed in the final 90 sec. 2 by a 90% shooter and 1 by Dylan. Luckily WA. had their own Max at the end of the game taking a 35 footer with 13 secs left. That game was an eyelash from losing but we attacked the zone perfectly with Stone and Zeke. They didn't always make them but had good 15 footers.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What in the fuck does this guy have against keeping one timeout for the last few minutes?

I’m waiting until he takes all of them in the first ten minutes of the first half. Just to get them out of the way.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
TheCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
We have ONE ranked opponent left before the conference tourney, same as BYU. Great analysis. Also, you realize Max Hazzard transferred from the Big West, worse than the WCC? He is doing the same per minute in the Pac-12 as he did there.
Yep and I see how great he is with clock management.....he is doing well with Arizona because Mannion is getting him open shots. I have also seen his defense in conference. So your argument is BYU plays the same level of competition....good analysis again...no wonder you are called GREAT. :lol:
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Chicat wrote:What in the fuck does this guy have against keeping one timeout for the last few minutes?

I’m waiting until he takes all of them in the first ten minutes of the first half. Just to get them out of the way.
He didn't call the last one. Baker did when he was trapped in the sideline
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Frybry02 wrote:
Chicat wrote:What in the fuck does this guy have against keeping one timeout for the last few minutes?

That was a great time to call a Timeout... the early ones Miller called were stupid.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Alieberman wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:

That was a great time to call a Timeout... the early ones Miller called were stupid.
Keeping that possession resulted in Baker hitting 3 FTs. It is amazing how every single possession matters.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Frybry02 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:

Keeping that possession resulted in Baker hitting 3 FTs. It is amazing how every single possession matters.
The second to last timeout he called with 7 minutes left after a made basket was ridiculous.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:

The second to last timeout he called with 7 minutes left after a made basket was ridiculous.
I mean he's just doing what he does.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Chicat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:

Miller burned 2 timeouts by the 14:30 Mark. Washington called a timeout under 7 minutes.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Frybry02 wrote:
Chicat wrote:The second to last timeout he called with 7 minutes left after a made basket was ridiculous.
Miller burned 2 timeouts by the 14:30 Mark. Washington called a timeout under 7 minutes.
You’re right. Nico hit a three and CSM takes his 2nd to last timeout with 14:28 left in the game.

Ridiculous
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Chicat wrote:The second to last timeout he called with 7 minutes left after a made basket was ridiculous.
You’re right. Nico hit a three and CSM takes his 2nd to last timeout with 14:28 left in the game.

Ridiculous
He had to make sure his team was poised.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That was very Lute-esq letting the players win the game on their own.

Although it wasn't intentional.

I realize Baker is a defensive liability compared to Smith, but bringing that bonehead back in end of game with no time outs to bring Baker back in might have cost the team. Smith is another Gabe York in being the guy in crunch time you don't want handling the ball.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Merkin wrote:
EVCat wrote: Hazzard should have been benched for what he did, it was more than just that final play but that final play was just insanely bad, and if you relent, then he does it again, or someone else does.
What about all the bonehead plays Dylan Smith made, esp to start the 2nd half? Why does Smith get a pass? How many games have we seen where even the announcers question Smith's decision making?
defense, pure and simple. Max is a defensive liability, so if he screws up on the end of the floor he offers positive play at, he washes out. Dylan Smith gives us what fans often pay little attention to, and then he offers spot up shooting, but is largely a liability on offense if he tries to make the play himself. Hell...he just about won the game for us on defense last night, then tried to give it away on offense and at the FT line. But that is the reason. It's not like Miller is playing any game other than trying to win...he doesn't like one and hate the other. Max can be instant offense (though we are still a little blinded by his two game explosion), but hurts defensively. It is easier to hide a low output offensive player with 4 other scorers than it is to hide a low output defensive player.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

The ASU game was also a classic case of Arizona playing into ASU's style in the second half and they panicked. This team can be a really good in the half-court and with Mannion in foul trouble, they let ASU dictate the tempo in the second half. That is a mix of coaching and being young in key spots. Also, there is enough of a statistical sample to demonstrate if they do run their offense effectively, they can any look they want because they have a PG who will find either open shooters or feed Zeke in the post.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What’s the rumor someone dropped in the i game thread last night about nico going Italy after the season?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

CalStateTempe wrote:What’s the rumor someone dropped in the i game thread last night about nico going Italy after the season?
I meant he could end up there if it doesn't work in the NBA. He's probably a career backup at best. He has good vision but not elite quickness or explosiveness, and his jumper is clunky and doesn't go in enough. Not to mention defense. I'm pretty certain he's OAD regardless since the draft is quite weak.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TatetheGreat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:What’s the rumor someone dropped in the i game thread last night about nico going Italy after the season?
I meant he could end up there if it doesn't work in the NBA. He's probably a career backup at best. He has good vision but not elite quickness or explosiveness, and his jumper is clunky and doesn't go in enough. Not to mention defense. I'm pretty certain he's OAD regardless since the draft is quite weak.
LOL what?
eoe

Post by eoe »

TatetheGreat wrote:
worst take of the month

Mannion's true shooting percentage is 56.23% and is that high despite being in an offense that is limiting to him (as most any college offense would be)

He will only improve with age and increased spacing at the next level. He's a great example of a player with game tailor made for the NBA vs. college. If you watch and think otherwise, your confirmation bias is showing
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

EVCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
defense, pure and simple. Max is a defensive liability, so if he screws up on the end of the floor he offers positive play at, he washes out. Dylan Smith gives us what fans often pay little attention to, and then he offers spot up shooting, but is largely a liability on offense if he tries to make the play himself. Hell...he just about won the game for us on defense last night, then tried to give it away on offense and at the FT line. But that is the reason. It's not like Miller is playing any game other than trying to win...he doesn't like one and hate the other. Max can be instant offense (though we are still a little blinded by his two game explosion), but hurts defensively. It is easier to hide a low output offensive player with 4 other scorers than it is to hide a low output defensive player.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^

If Baker can break through and defend consistently, he’ll take Smith’s minutes.

If you watch the final possessions closely, it’s clear the dilemma Miller faces. Smith is long and can defend better. But he’s proven to be unable to handle the pressure of late game situations. He missed crucial free throws at Oregon, ASU and again last night. Fortunately it didn’t cost us. He’s also prone to poor decision-making. After his missed FT, UW’s McDaniels turned over. The loose ball landed in Smith’s hands and he impatiently tried to dribble and damn near travelled if it wasn’t for another foul call. All he had to do is secure the ball and find Mannion wide open to run the clock. He missed the FT anyway and UW still had one last chance to tie. He can’t handle late game situations. But he’s also a better defender for late game situations. That’s Miller’s dilemma.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
Naming yourself “TatetheGreat” doesn’t fill me with confidence in regards to your pro scouting chops.

;)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

eoe wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
worst take of the month

Mannion's true shooting percentage is 56.23% and is that high despite being in an offense that is limiting to him (as most any college offense would be)

He will only improve with age and increased spacing at the next level. He's a great example of a player with game tailor made for the NBA vs. college. If you watch and think otherwise, your confirmation bias is showing
Unfortunately for Tate he has a negative wingspan, which can't be corrected. Not that he can't be a good NBA PG, TJ McConnell also does, but that is more a rarity.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Congrats to Miller and the team for having the first road sweep of any team in the PAC 12. Hard to win on the road.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

+2 with six of its last ten at the Mckale Center
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We clearly control our own fate. We have games against Stanford, Oregon and USC in front of us. How we do against SC will determine if we exceed the expectation where the press/coaches put us at the beginning of the year which was 4th place conference finish. SC has always been tough for us so Thursday is critical.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Doesn't help they'll be extra motivated after getting blown out at home by Colorado.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Miller has done a great job. He has sat guys like Hazzard, Smith and even Green and they all have become better for it.

His work with Nico is evident as well. Nico is a much better defender and is taking care of the ball. He is distributing it more and shooting less. Nico took a bad three early in the clock with about 2 minutes to go and sure enough he was on the bench for the rest of the half. Even a lottery guy has to learn

Just wish we were in a time where a coach like Miller could have guys for 2-3 years. I think we would marvel at the improvement
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Remember when Mike Hopkins was the best coach in the PAC 12? Me neither.

Their season has been a shit show despite the 1st rounders. Yes, Quade’s ineligibility isn’t the coach’s fault, but they’ve imploded.

What if Brandon Williams had been healthy? Think we lose at Oregon & ASU? Or St. John’s?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:What if Brandon Williams had been healthy? Think we lose at Oregon & ASU? Or St. John’s?
No. We'd definitely have won the ASU and St. John's games. Oregon is a toss up.

Critical two games ahead this week.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:Remember when Mike Hopkins was the best coach in the PAC 12? Me neither.

Their season has been a shit show despite the 1st rounders. Yes, Quade’s ineligibility isn’t the coach’s fault, but they’ve imploded.

What if Brandon Williams had been healthy? Think we lose at Oregon & ASU? Or St. John’s?
Quade's ineligibility is Hopkins fault as much as it is Quade's.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Andy Reid is a perfect example for the Sean Miller detractors to pump the breaks. Not a Chief’s fan but how could you not be happy for the guy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:Andy Reid is a perfect example for the Sean Miller detractors to pump the breaks. Not a Chief’s fan but how could you not be happy for the guy.
What about the person who hates walruses?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

zonagrad wrote:Andy Reid is a perfect example for the Sean Miller detractors to pump the breaks. Not a Chief’s fan but how could you not be happy for the guy.
Outside of the facts sure
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Outside of the facts sure
What facts go against this?

It is not exactly perfect but it actually is a good analogy and comparison.

Reid and Miller are actually very similar in their strengths and struggles
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

that comparison would work better if miller had 4 final four appearances and a national championship game loss by this point in his career.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Makes sense. John Wooden won his first national title in his sixteenth season at UCLA. Sean should be better than the best coach to ever live. Welcome to AZ fans.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

TheCat wrote:Makes sense. John Wooden won his first national title in his sixteenth season at UCLA. Sean should be better than the best coach to ever live. Welcome to AZ fans.
what are you on about? the comparison made was to andy reid. not wooden.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
that comparison would work better if miller had 4 final four appearances and a national championship game loss by this point in his career.
That comparison would also work better if Andy Reid coached in a sport where he had to pretty much reset his roster every god damn year.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
That comparison would also work better if Andy Reid coached in a sport where he had to pretty much reset his roster every god damn year.
Or if andy reid only signed players who didnt fit his system and were only going to stay one year..... ;)

^that's a joke people, don't go nuts

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol, read an article this am about how Kyle Shanahan’s timeout mismanagement at the end of the first half and conservative play calling lead as much to the loss as Reid’s going for it on forth and learning from mistakes in past Super Bowls/playoff games with the eagles gave him the win.

So in that regard, Miller is more Shanahan than Reid.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:Lol, read an article this am about how Kyle Shanahan’s timeout mismanagement at the end of the first half and conservative play calling lead as much to the loss as Reid’s going for it on forth and learning from mistakes in past Super Bowls/playoff games with the eagles gave him the win.

So in that regard, Miller is more Shanahan than Reid.
That was the only pro game I have seen since, well, the last Super Bowl and was thinking the same thing. Even the pros fall to the "playing not to lose" mantra and ends up losing. Even when the Niners were up by 3, they had no mojo left and I knew they were going to lose.

Also cannot believe how bad the Niners' DBs were. Don't recall so many open receivers in a SuperBowl.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Or if andy reid only signed players who didnt fit his system and were only going to stay one year..... ;)

^that's a joke people, don't go nuts