Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bordercat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Bordercat wrote:btw... a true example of doing less with more us Udub.

The talent they have is unreal. How did they underachieve so badly?
Lost their PG in the middle of the season and had nothing else resembling a PG on roster to replace him.
I don't buy that. Not to the level they underperformed with their talent.
By all means shit on them, you won't get an argument from me.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I really just wish the NCAA would make their ruling like.... today.... so we could start this ball rolling....
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What’s the over/under on number of years till our next FF? If you’d told me in ‘01, “so we won’t be back here for several decades,” I’d have laughed and mocked the very idea.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:I really just wish the NCAA would make their ruling like.... today.... so we could start this ball rolling....
We could start it rolling regardless.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:What’s the over/under on number of years till our next FF? If you’d told me in ‘01, “so we won’t be back here for several decades,” I’d have laughed and mocked the very idea.
Probably the same odds now as UA FB making it to the Rose Bowl. Can't see the UA ever making it out of the first weekend with Miller as coach now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Beachcat97 wrote:What’s the over/under on number of years till our next FF? If you’d told me in ‘01, “so we won’t be back here for several decades,” I’d have laughed and mocked the very idea.
Yeah back in like 2002 not many Arizona fans would think it would end up being decades and decades until we went back.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I just can’t imagine having that much money and wanting to stick around for an all-encompassing job that’s come apart at the seams. You can just talk on TV and keep earning without all the grief.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:I just can’t imagine having that much money and wanting to stick around for an all-encompassing job that’s come apart at the seams. You can just talk on TV and keep earning without all the grief.
Miller would have to admit he's failed in order to make that transition (without being fired, I mean) and I don't think he's the kind of guy who is capable of doing that.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Longhorned wrote:I just can’t imagine having that much money and wanting to stick around for an all-encompassing job that’s come apart at the seams. You can just talk on TV and keep earning without all the grief.
So I had a Facebook memory pop up this week, before we moved to Tucson from Phoenix, my wife and I were able to catch the Stanford-UA game on Gabe York's senior day when he absolutely lit them up from 3. Four years later, Gabe is still the last player that I genuinely said, damn I am going to miss that guy. Pretty fucking damning, IMO.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Was there as well. Got teary eyed for Gabe and Zeus.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

SabinoDrifter wrote:
So I had a Facebook memory pop up this week, before we moved to Tucson from Phoenix, my wife and I were able to catch the Stanford-UA game on Gabe York's senior day when he absolutely lit them up from 3. Four years later, Gabe is still the last player that I genuinely said, damn I am going to miss that guy. Pretty fucking damning, IMO.
It means if you were a senior at U of A now your good times that make you love college would have no associations with basketball.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

When John Madden went into the booth after being fired by the Raiders he said that he would never go back into coaching. High pressure 70 hour work weeks turns into 20 hour work weeks with very little pressure.

Of course Miller has no hobbies, so would probably need to pick one up.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

This season has been disappointing. A couple of seemingly overrated, or at least very, very inconsistent, freshmen, a couple of seemingly overrated transfers, and a couple of missing players who would have been starters (Williams & Doutrive). But I am sure no one on this board is remotely as disappointed as Miller.

I'm not ready to give up on Miller and I hope his breakthrough will be here at Arizona.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

BBQ wildcat wrote:This season has been disappointing. A couple of seemingly overrated, or at least very, very inconsistent, freshmen, a couple of seemingly overrated transfers, and a couple of missing players who would have been starters (Williams & Doutrive). But I am sure no one on this board is remotely as disappointed as Miller.

I'm not ready to give up on Miller and I hope his breakthrough will be here at Arizona.
1 bad season is a down year, 2 seasons is disappointing, 3 seasons is a very concerning pattern...4 down seasons in a row is beyond grounds for termination.

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

If our three freshmen were coming back next season, our perspective for this season would be totally different. And that’s so frustrating to know that our freshmen won’t see a minute of playing time in the League next year but better college players will be back beating Arizona next season as upperclassmen.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

zonagrad wrote:If our three freshmen were coming back next season, our perspective for this season would be totally different. And that’s so frustrating to know that our freshmen won’t see a minute of playing time in the League next year but better college players will be back beating Arizona next season as upperclassmen.
Yeah thats the thing for me. we have this good class of freshmen that almost all underperform and the team is mediocre this year...then they leave to all go be benchwarmers and d-leaguers. Next year, as of now, we'll be no better than we are this year.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Probably a silly question, but is there any — and I mean ANY — chance that one of our freshmen comes back? If not, then yeah, it’s just a vicious cycle we’re in that never produces the desired outcome.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Probably a silly question, but is there any — and I mean ANY — chance that one of our freshmen comes back? If not, then yeah, it’s just a vicious cycle we’re in that never produces the desired outcome.
By all observations, seems like this year is a pretty weak draft class. Thus, most likely all 3 will be drafted round 1. if they test the waters and get a 1st round guarantee in the process, then can you blame them for leaving?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Probably a silly question, but is there any — and I mean ANY — chance that one of our freshmen comes back? If not, then yeah, it’s just a vicious cycle we’re in that never produces the desired outcome.
Chance Zeke comes back, although it isn't likely.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

If someone tells them they’re at least 3 years away from being able to play against grown MEN in the NBA.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Probably the one player who could help his stock the most. Similar to a Dwill type sophomoric rise. If he continues to improve his perimeter game, he has a chance move to the top half of the 1st round. I would love to have Zeke back. Totally understand him jumping to the NBA and capitalizing on his increasing his stock to a late first round prospect
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
He’s the best of the three, imo.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Probably the one player who could help his stock the most. Similar to a Dwill type sophomoric rise. If he continues to improve his perimeter game, he has a chance move to the top half of the 1st round. I would love to have Zeke back. Totally understand him jumping to the NBA and capitalizing on his increasing his stock to a late first round prospect
Line of thought is to show more consistency from 3 to boost his stock. I wouldn't count on it, but the hope ain't dead.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Frybry02 wrote:
By all observations, seems like this year is a pretty weak draft class. Thus, most likely all 3 will be drafted round 1. if they test the waters and get a 1st round guarantee in the process, then can you blame them for leaving?
We won’t blame them for leaving, and we’ll ask that we’re not blamed for being tired of recruiting players that give the program nothing because they’re too good for college basketball to develop into winning college basketball players.

Some people told us this was the path to success. We don’t believe them anymore.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pretty sure Ziaire is OAD. Maybe use that scholarship on a guy who wants to stay in college longer?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:Pretty sure Ziaire is OAD. Maybe use that scholarship on a guy who wants to stay in college longer?
Mentioned it a couple times, but Miller not going after Jaylen Clark is exhibit A of him just not understanding what this program is missing and what types of players he would succeed with. Hunting OnD players and not recruiting the exact type of 4-year player that would be hugely successful in Miller's system...it signals to me that Miller still just doesn't get it.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

No way - these freshman (Nico & Green especially) want to get the hell out of Tucson. Like, fast.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

BTW, this website is such a breath of fresh air from another site that I post on and subscribe to.

A lot of people over there are content with the shit we have continued to see from Miller and this program. They have taken on the loser blood mentality that Miller has developed this program into.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I am undecided on the OAD's. Having three of them is definitely not the norm for us. The thing I worry about the most is the negative culture it can bring into your program.
I am starting to sour quickly on the grad transfers. Most of these young men are everything you want in your program, but they are adding to the roster turnover problem. No disrepect to Stone. He has been my favorite grad transfer.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Dave wrote:I am undecided on the OAD's. Having three of them is definitely not the norm for us. The thing I worry about the most is the negative culture it can bring into your program.
I am starting to sour quickly on the grad transfers. Most of these young men are everything you want in your program, but they are adding to the roster turnover problem. No disrepect to Stone. He has been my favorite grad transfer.
Stone is definitely a kid that you'd like to have around for another couple seasons.

OAD's can have an amazing impact on your program if the rest of the roster makeup is done correctly (like in 2013-14 and 2014-15). Unfortunately, Miller has done an absolutely terrible job in making up this roster over the last 4-5 seasons...and it isn't going to be any different next season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dave wrote:I am undecided on the OAD's. Having three of them is definitely not the norm for us. The thing I worry about the most is the negative culture it can bring into your program.
Can't blame these grad transfers who are used to traveling to games by bus now get chartered jet flights and stay at the best hotels.

I work at Cal Poly SLO, and for many years staff were allowed to share the same locker room as all the athletes, outside of wrestling who had their own locker room being PAC-12. If you saw it, you would shocked how bad it is, looks like the same locker room I had in high school gym class.

Then you see this...

ImageImage

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Pretty sure Ziaire is OAD. Maybe use that scholarship on a guy who wants to stay in college longer?
Arizona is going to need him to be competitive next year to say the least.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
Mentioned it a couple times, but Miller not going after Jaylen Clark is exhibit A of him just not understanding what this program is missing and what types of players he would succeed with. Hunting OnD players and not recruiting the exact type of 4-year player that would be hugely successful in Miller's system...it signals to me that Miller still just doesn't get it.
Prioritizing a fringe top 100 guy, who's pretty much a 3 point shooter only, who refuses to commit to you, although he's been cockteasing as much forever now, over Clark who is a perfect fit for every thing you do, is such a Sean Miller move.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Have you seen the visitors locker room at the football stadium?

I can’t believe a P5 has something like that.
I’m pretty sure most local high schools are nicer.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Take the medicine now. Recruit the best possible talent that fits your system.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I guess that's easier said than done when your job is on the line.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Lute's ex-players still to do this day come to Tucson and to the UofA to maintain their connection.

How many of Sean's ex players do the same?

I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it happens all too often.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Not sure why Ziaire would want any part of this. Apparently he wants to stay out west, so who knows, maybe he will view it as the best option because of the location and fan-base (it is hard to know if a teenager cares about the historical culture of the program, that mostly took place before he was born). UCLA has no fan support. USC is USC. Oregon would seem to be the best option in terms of being a somewhat vibrant program at the moment, but then one is stuck in Eugene.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Kyle Fogg was there Saturday.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Grant Jarrett called it...

Arizona is a pit stop under miller

From point guard U to a players program to a pit stop over 12 years.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Grant Jarrett called it...

Arizona is a pit stop under miller

From point guard U to a players program to a pit stop over 12 years.
Did Jerrett really say that? Wow.

I mean, I gotta think Calipari's players see UK much the same way. And plenty of K's too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote:Kyle Fogg was there Saturday.
Lute recruit? I don't recall KO or Pennell recruiting anyone of note.

I imagine you will see a lot of old time UA players coming into town with Lute in such poor health.

Think Steve Kerr was in town a month ago to see Lute.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:

I imagine you will see a lot of old time UA players coming into town with Lute in such poor health.

I've been wondering if Lute's absence from McKale was due to health or our godawful team.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

There's just not the sense of an Arizona family anymore... and that makes me sad.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Alieberman wrote:There's just not the sense of an Arizona family anymore... and that makes me sad.
I would venture to guess that 90% of this team does not even know where Sean Miller lives versus Lute's house being like a second home for his players.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Alieberman wrote:There's just not the sense of an Arizona family anymore... and that makes me sad.
I would venture to guess that 90% of this team does not even know where Sean Miller lives versus Lute's house being like a second home for his players.
Sean actually hosts regular get togethers for the players at his house.

I know shit looks bleak, but let’s not assume things that are not in evidence.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:

I did not know that. Good to know.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chicat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:

Glad to hear I am wrong.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:

Mike Dunlap recruit.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Let’s not write revisionist history just to support your point. Lute’s players didn’t particularly like him when they were in school. He always held himself aloof from them when they traveled. Bobbi was the one to create the family culture. The respect and love came after they left.