Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:44 pm The dumbest thing to do now is fire Miller. They need to give him a 3-year extension. If they fire him, not only will they lose current players, but also the past players won't want to have anything to do with the program.
I'm heavily team Miller, but I'd be fine with 2, which he seems to be saying he'd take. He has one year left, so that gives him 3 years and another 2 years until we have to be back in the current extend/part ways situation.

To me that feels right. The IARP should be final by then. Miller's new recruiting approach will either have paid off or not by then.

So if in 2 years things are bad with results or the IARP, maybe firing is the route. If things are ok, but he wants out, maybe we just go our separate ways. If things are good and he wants to stay, maybe we extend again.

Bottom line, now that we are finally on the IARP clock, it feels like 2 years is the right time to see the future. In 2 years, if the IARP is settled and we're hiring a new coach, we can recruit better because that coach knows what sanctions would be in place for good.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would like to know if Robbins is wobbling because of Miller’s recent results or because of the NCAA deal? If it’s recent results that seems really shortsighted given the handicaps he has been give and COVID
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:12 pm The fallout from firing Miller right now is difficult to fathom.
And the damage to not extending him right now is equally hard to quantify. But you'll know it in a few months and then it will be a foregone conclusion that Miller is struggling, players are leaving and recruiting is going nowhere. And then we're locked in to praying for a decent hire and waiting patiently for 2-3 years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:09 pm I would like to know if Robbins is wobbling because of Miller’s recent results or because of the NCAA deal? If it’s recent results that seems really shortsighted given the handicaps he has been give and COVID
I feel like it can't be the NCAA NOA. We got that in November, so if Robbins had an issue with that, why now?

Also, the NOA actually goes quite a bit easier on Miller than most of us feared.

I agree it's sort of silly to expect more in a Covid season where Miller had to maintain momentum despite a tourney ban.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:54 pmNow it’s obvious why Robbins self imposed the penalty and didn’t consult with Miller. He wanted to piss off Miller in hopes he would snap and quit.
Wow, didn't think about it that way.

The fact that Miller hasn't been fired means we can't afford to lose the boosters that are backing Miller. Are we talking 3-4 people? The fans that pay $100K+/year for season tickets are small potatoes.
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:18 pm
azcat49 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:09 pm I would like to know if Robbins is wobbling because of Miller’s recent results or because of the NCAA deal? If it’s recent results that seems really shortsighted given the handicaps he has been give and COVID
I feel like it can't be the NCAA NOA. We got that in November, so if Robbins had an issue with that, why now?
Also, the NOA actually goes quite a bit easier on Miller than most of us feared.
I dont think it has anything to do with this past season. Dont forget that half time Heeke presser a couple years ago announcing support for Miller. Thank you boosters?
Last edited by Jefe on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jason has posted new news. Anyone know what it is or is he being a tease like normal?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Considering Jason seems to be a Miller supported and the fan base is generally behind Miller, I would say that means things are trending towards a contract extension.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:10 am Look at Kentucky hires over the past years. Pitino was the youngest, least experienced guy they have hired over the past 4 decades. Kentucky has either hired from other BCS level programs like Smith, or from the NBA like Calipari. Pitino was more a flavor-of-the-month coach with one, deep tournament run, and no long track record of success.

I don't know about others, but I'd rather see Arizona basketball be healthy long term. If that means we have to fire Miller now and lose 2-3 years in the hopes of a rebuild, or 4-5 years if the hire doesn't work out, so be it. To me, that's better than pining our hopes on one deep run next year, then getting hammered by the IARP, knowing a penalty will knock us down several years. That's just me, and I can see the argument for both sides.

Personally, I also don't think the punishment will be that bad. The NOA contains nothing about pay for play, no mention of Ayton, Little, or Bowen Jr., two allegations we self reported, Book taking a bribe, and the allegation Book paid a bribe for Alkins' transcript, which still doesn't pass the smell test. Why no arrests on the Alkins allegations?

Everything else included in the NOA is fluff. What do NCAA infractions from the 1960s have to do with anything? For that matter, what do 2010 NCAA infractions have to do with stuff that happened years later, when just about everyone from 2010 was no longer involved in the program? And so the NCAA isn't happy we played the lawyer/client privilege card. So what. That's how the game is played, as the NCAA has no subpoena power. And if we're gambling that there was something more incriminating in the interview with Book, we're playing with fire. Just ask USC about Reggie Bush. USC was safe as long as nobody broke their silence, but that rarely happens over time. If we're taking the same gamble, there's a good chance we'll get burned sooner or later, with penalties that will likely be worse than had we just been open from the start.
Calipari was a college coach way before he was a failed NBA coach. That is where he made his mark (UMASS/Memphis). If you recall the guy Kentucky really wanted and offer the job to twice was Lute.
Nothing changes the punishment we are going to receive and it is clear that Miller is not being charged with the bulk of the offenses except the failure to control your staff card. He is a good to great coach and his record shows that in both winning % and fastest to 300. Faster than Wooden and about a dozen games behind Lute. We should keep him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DrWildcat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:44 pm Considering Jason seems to be a Miller supported and the fan base is generally behind Miller, I would say that means things are trending towards a contract extension.
Effing better be. If Robbins screws up the crown jewel of Arizona Athletics, I'm going to melt down hard and often.

I melted a little over the Fisch process, but that is 3 Mile Island vs Chernobyl compared to how I see myself behaving if we don't extend SM.

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Here’s one big time booster’s take:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Thank you Richard. Now what do you think about becoming an AD?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If we fire Miller, the #1 available coach in the country becomes Sean Miller.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:38 pm If we fire Miller, the #1 available coach in the country becomes Sean Miller.
Bold strategy Cotton
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:38 pm If we fire Miller, the #1 available coach in the country becomes Sean Miller.
That's funny. I was discussing with a friend and one thing I said is that our best case in a new hiring process is someone with Sean Miller's resume.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

What's so desirable about Miller? Most schools want nothing to do with a coach with Miller's reputation. If an AD is interested in a cheating coach he'd probably prefer one who can at least get results cheating. Once fired, Miller will never get another job at a major program IMO. MAYBE he'll end up at some mickey mouse school like Rick Pitino. The risk just isn't worth it. And with Miller there's no reward. He can recruit (with money) but can never maximize player potential. It's hard to believe three years later we're still pondering whether we should fire the schlub. Drop the axe already and let's move on. Good grief. You Miller cultists are an odd bunch to say the least.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

TheCat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:33 pm Thank you Richard. Now what do you think about becoming an AD?
RJ is already more qualified than Robbins. I mean, it's not open heart surgery.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Captain Obvious wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:53 pm
What's so desirable about Miller?
405-147 (. 734)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:24 pm Here’s one big time booster’s take:

What does "turn it around" mean? Sean Miller never had a losing record at Arizona and has a really good team returning next season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Captain Obvious wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:53 pm Most schools want nothing to do with a coach with Miller's reputation. If an AD is interested in a cheating coach he'd probably prefer one who can at least get results cheating.
Let me tell you how every big time school gets recruits, you sweet child.

Under oath, Marty Blazer said he understood Dawkins to be saying: "Duke, UNC and Kentucky will have people in place to pay whatever's necessary for Zion Williamson. Whatever Zion Williamson's family needed, we would be able to step in and [help with money] if it was close."

By cheating, you must mean winning. In terms of getting results, Miller got to 300 wins in fewer games than it took John Wooden.

I am interested in this. How accurate is this article?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psycho ... tick%3famp
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:31 pm By cheating, you must mean winning. In terms of getting results, Miller got to 300 wins in fewer games than it took John Wooden.
And Wooden had Sam Gilbert and unlimited scholarships.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:45 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:31 pm By cheating, you must mean winning. In terms of getting results, Miller got to 300 wins in fewer games than it took John Wooden.
this
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oh man. I just wish Miller had Wooden's banners!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sam Gilbert > Book Richardson.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:53 pm
What's so desirable about Miller? Most schools want nothing to do with a coach with Miller's reputation. If an AD is interested in a cheating coach...........
OK, now I know for sure the neg button really doesn't work yet.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:52 pm
Oh man. I just wish Miller had Wooden's banners!
John Wooden would have been fired at Arizona. Greatest coach of all time. Wooden coached 15 years before he made his first final 4. He made the NCAA tourney 3 times in his first 15 years. Of course the tourney was much harder to get in then. Basically started with a sweet 16 early on. It has been close to 50 years since Wooden won his last championship. RIP Coach Wooden.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Not that I think firing Miller would be a great idea, but at the moment, his buyout is basically nothing. If someone wanted him and he was open to leaving, he would be easy to get right now.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'd bet Archie is gone within the week or so.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

DrWildcat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:22 pm
Not that I think firing Miller would be a great idea, but at the moment, his buyout is basically nothing. If someone wanted him and he was open to leaving, he would be easy to get right now.
Miller doesn't want to leave and no one better than Arizona wants to hire him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:29 pm I'd bet Archie is gone within the week or so.
I wonder if we have room for him. Archie did some good coaching here.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

azgreg wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:29 pm I'd bet Archie is gone within the week or so.
$10 mil buyout plus they just gave their football coach an extension and raise
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:37 pm
It's Indiana basketball, they've got it.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

azgreg wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:42 pm
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:37 pm
It's Indiana basketball, they've got it.
A good friend is an IU alum and is over Archie. I thought Archie was gone a month ago until I read about that buyout. His agent deserves a raise if he Archie walks away with that entire buyout.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:30 pm
I wonder if we have room for him. Archie did some good coaching here.
What I was thinking too.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I feel like Robbins would not let that happen, if it’s true that he would like CSM to leave.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:44 pm I feel like Robbins would not let that happen, if it’s true that he would like CSM to leave.
Unless he's straight up looking to kneecap Sean, I don't know how you could justify not taking Archie if he'd return. He'd be a home run as an assistant.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:57 am
Postmaster wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:44 pm I feel like Robbins would not let that happen, if it’s true that he would like CSM to leave.
Unless he's straight up looking to kneecap Sean, I don't know how you could justify not taking Archie if he'd return. He'd be a home run as an assistant.
Obviously there have been other very impactful reasons, but I peg the start of the decline of Arizona Basketball on the court to right around the time Archie left our staff.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:05 am
Obviously there have been other very impactful reasons, but I peg the start of the decline of Arizona Basketball on the court to right around the time Archie left our staff.
I disagree a bit in that he left in 2011 and we were strong for years after that, but he was a big loss. I've always thought he was easily the best assistant we've had in a blend of x's and o's and recruiting.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Interesting point. Had to take a look. Archie left for Dayton after the 2010/2011 season.

2009–10 Arizona 16–15 10–8 4th
2010–11 Arizona 30–8 14–4 1st NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2011–12 Arizona 23–12 12–6 4th NIT First Round
2012–13 Arizona 27–8 12–6 T–2nd NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2013–14 Arizona 33–5 15–3 1st NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2014–15 Arizona 34–4 16–2 1st NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2015–16 Arizona 25–9 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Division I First Round
2016–17 Arizona 32–5 16–2 T–1st NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2017–18 Arizona 27–8 14–4 1st NCAA Division I First Round
2018–19 Arizona 17–15 8–10 T-8th
2019–20 Arizona 21–11 10–8 T–5th Cancelled due to COVID–19 Pandemic
2020–21 Arizona 17–9 11–9 5th Ineligible due to self-imposed ban

I'm not sure how you can quantify that claim. Looks to me that the biggest downfall corresponds with the FBI bullshit.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Plus Archie's wife is smoking hot so there's that.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:53 am Plus Archie's wife is smoking hot so there's that.
What are her feelings about grass?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

It’s legal now?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hot wives have been legal long time.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:30 am Hot wives have been legal long time.
This message brought to you by Andy Enfield.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:53 am Plus Archie's wife is smoking hot so there's that.
It's a factor that directly speaks to someone's recruiting ability.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona's brightest days under Miller & Co. were when Archie was by Sean's side on the floor and smack dab in the middle of inner workings of Arizona Basketball in the post Lute Olson era. he was directly responsible for much of the culture, structure, and on floor success of Arizona Basketball during his tenure and subsequent two/three years after he left, his fingerprints still imprinted on the process and program and his disciples still protecting his brother.

cracks came and as you know the armor faded.....

if Miller stays, that means Arizona has decided to roll with him long term - Archie back would be the perfect tonic and a much to obvious and sensible move by Arizona to do it, but if Miller long term was the choice, it would be a ballsy stroke of genius and a big f*ck u to the college basketball establishment.

Sean somehow getting his brother back on the bench and in the middle of the program would immediately increase his chances of getting back on track, laser focus back in on on basketball, and perhaps become what many thought he was truly destine to become several years ago - one of the winningest coaches of all time.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:45 am
Interesting point. Had to take a look. Archie left for Dayton after the 2010/2011 season.

2009–10 Arizona 16–15 10–8 4th
2010–11 Arizona 30–8 14–4 1st NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2011–12 Arizona 23–12 12–6 4th NIT First Round
2012–13 Arizona 27–8 12–6 T–2nd NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2013–14 Arizona 33–5 15–3 1st NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2014–15 Arizona 34–4 16–2 1st NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2015–16 Arizona 25–9 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Division I First Round
2016–17 Arizona 32–5 16–2 T–1st NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2017–18 Arizona 27–8 14–4 1st NCAA Division I First Round
2018–19 Arizona 17–15 8–10 T-8th
2019–20 Arizona 21–11 10–8 T–5th Cancelled due to COVID–19 Pandemic
2020–21 Arizona 17–9 11–9 5th Ineligible due to self-imposed ban

I'm not sure how you can quantify that claim. Looks to me that the biggest downfall corresponds with the FBI bullshit.
I’m just talking out of my ass (as per usual) and more speaking to the feeling I have. For instance, that Archie brought a toughness to the huddle that might have inspired us to close out Wisconsin one of those Elite 8s. Obviously can’t quantify that, and my research into defensive metrics and such just makes it more apparent that I’m hooked on a feeling rather than bringing facts to the argument.

But if you asked me again when things changed as far as the Miller era’s trajectory, I’d still tell you it was the period after Arch left to run his own program. Again, obviously, just a feeling.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

2010-2011 to 2013-2014 were the healthiest years for the Arizona Basketball Program in the Sean Miller era - his brother Archie is a GIGANTIC reason why it was healthy during that time, and unhealthy after that time.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 am

Arizona's brightest days under Miller & Co. were when Archie was by Sean's side on the floor and smack dab in the middle of inner workings of Arizona Basketball in the post Lute Olson era. he was directly responsible for much of the culture, structure, and on floor success of Arizona Basketball during his tenure and subsequent two/three years after he left, his fingerprints still imprinted on the process and program and his disciples still protecting his brother.

cracks came and as you know the armor faded.....

if Miller stays, that means Arizona has decided to roll with him long term - Archie back would be the perfect tonic and a much to obvious and sensible move by Arizona to do it, but if Miller long term was the choice, it would be a ballsy stroke of genius and a big f*ck u to the college basketball establishment.

Sean somehow getting his brother back on the bench and in the middle of the program would immediately increase his chances of getting back on track, laser focus back in on on basketball, and perhaps become what many thought he was truly destine to become several years ago - one of the winningest coaches of all time.
97! That's the kind of Friday post I'm talking about! BTFD!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 am if Miller stays, that means Arizona has decided to roll with him long term - Archie back would be the perfect tonic and a much to obvious and sensible move by Arizona to do it, but if Miller long term was the choice, it would be a ballsy stroke of genius and a big f*ck u to the college basketball establishment.

It's hard to imagine Archie survives losing 6 straight at Indiana. It's a massive buyout, but it seems like his time is up.

I can't come up with any reason why bringing Archie back would not be good. It's obviously a landing spot you think he'd consider, and it would mean we landed a top level coach and recruiter who's 100% in sync with our HC.

Looking back at the 2011 team, we made an Elite Eight with a 6'7, 6'7, 6'6 front line. Plus, Momo as our PG wasn't particularly traditional. That team was probably the best coached in the time I've been an Arizona fan.