Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:41 am I dunno. Maybe it makes everyone feel all warm and fuzzy fantasizing.

Truth is that we have two incompetent assholes that are fucking with something we all enjoy, so yeah maybe I should apologize for lacing extreme rudeness so we can have multiple fantasy posts.

Or I could say fuck right off. But I won’t cause I don’t want Chi or JMark to yell at me.

So carry on with the circle jerk.
Look, I see it like this. People are asking what we should do.

We should fire Robbins and Heeke and get someone to beg Miller to come back and hope he says yes. If he says no, at least our new coach search won't be led by Robbins and Heeke.

That's what we should do. It's not realistic or possible, but that doesn't mean it isn't what we should do.

That solution doesn't even involve a time machine and not firing Miller in the first place, which is the answer to what we should have done.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Odogg is officially back!!!!!

The 1 good thing about this coaching situation is that it's bringing the old guard back from the dead!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:46 am Odogg is officially back!!!!!

The 1 good thing about this coaching situation is that it's bringing the old guard back from the dead!
Be careful what you wish for.

If the new coach is pastner I will become the biggest troll ever. Enfuego will be like a wet dream.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:48 am

Be careful what you wish for.

If the new coach is pastner I will become the biggest troll ever. Enfuego will be like a wet dream.
Oh I know.... part of me wants us to hire him just to watch what you do!!!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I don’t know if I’ve disliked a non-impact player more that Pastner ever. I’m trying to think over the last 4 decades and I think I despise him the most.

Maybe cause I was at school when he was, but it is my go-to question when I meet alum friends. “Thoughts on pastner?”

If I walk away you answered incorrectly.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

True. It's more like a funeral than a reunion or a wedding. But it's still good to see the familiar usernames and their personalities once more.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Ya know it’s ironic. I left this hellhole for Dante’s inferno (Twitter) mostly cause the constant Miller bashing was annoying.

And here we are.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Administrators who are really good at hiring great coaches know basketball. They know the sport. That's what CM Newton was at Kentucky. He knew the sport and knew who he could pick up the phone and talk to. That's why Newton made offers to Lute Olson not once, but twice. Newton was a former coach himself and understood who was successful and why they were successful.

Robbins is not an expert in this field -- and it's really insulting he's trying to do this. How would he feel if someone without a medical degree decided to walk into an operating room to perform open heart surgery.

It's an insult to Lute Olson and Fred Snowden that Robbins even has a say in this whole process. And it's even more insulting that the local media turns a blind eye to this. Arizona should have a competent athletic director at the helm, not a lap dog. That athletic director should have his shit together to make a well informed hire. Lord knows there's enough bureaucrats within the athletic department to carry on the day to day bullshit. Mike Candrea doesn't need Dave Heeke. Dave Rubio doesn't need Heeke. Adia Barnes doesn't need Heeke. Nor does Jay Johnson. These coaches want to be left alone to do the jobs they were hired to do.

What the fuck is Heeke's job? To fly to games and cheerlead? Is that why he's being paid more than $700k/year?
A competent AD is there to ensure the money making sports are making money and to hire the best people possible in those positions. This is the most important hire in the entire department. The most important position. You can have a ho-hum school president. And even a ho-hum AD as long as that AD can do one thing very good -- and that's hire a really good head basketball coach.

What the hell is this guy even around for? To go on Rich Herrera's radio show and promote Arizona athletics?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 am Ya know it’s ironic. I left this hellhole for Dante’s inferno (Twitter) mostly cause the constant Miller bashing was annoying.

And here we are.
https://youtu.be/IzUoANyVZk0
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

If they fuck this up and the BB cash cow dies, shit is going to hit the fan. What will happen to the athletic dept? We have relied on that money for decades to keep the ad afloat. These guys are playing with fire. Could we ever get the BB cash cow back again? Doubtful in my mind
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

It'll ell you guys what. Whoever the next coach is, I'm about to be the biggest troll to whoever it is. I don't even care if it's Lloyd. I'm going to show the whole anti-miller crowd how it felt for just about 3-4 years. I will personally go out of my way to talk shit about our new coach. I don't care if we win a national championship next year, I will still troll the literal hell out of them
I said what I said and I mean it.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:06 am If they fuck this up and the BB cash cow dies, shit is going to hit the fan. What will happen to the athletic dept? We have relied on that money for decades to keep the ad afloat. These guys are playing with fire. Could we ever get the BB cash cow back again? Doubtful in my mind
Arizona Basketball is a big brand because our basketball team was good, not the other way around. They forgot this, and it's dangerous.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:01 am Administrators who are really good at hiring great coaches know basketball. They know the sport. That's what CM Newton was at Kentucky. He knew the sport and knew who he could pick up the phone and talk to. That's why Newton made offers to Lute Olson not once, but twice. Newton was a former coach himself and understood who was successful and why they were successful.

Robbins is not an expert in this field -- and it's really insulting he's trying to do this. How would he feel if someone without a medical degree decided to walk into an operating room to perform open heart surgery.

It's an insult to Lute Olson and Fred Snowden that Robbins even has a say in this whole process. And it's even more insulting that the local media turns a blind eye to this. Arizona should have a competent athletic director at the helm, not a lap dog. That athletic director should have his shit together to make a well informed hire. Lord knows there's enough bureaucrats within the athletic department to carry on the day to day bullshit. Mike Candrea doesn't need Dave Heeke. Dave Rubio doesn't need Heeke. Adia Barnes doesn't need Heeke. Nor does Jay Johnson. These coaches want to be left alone to do the jobs they were hired to do.

What the fuck is Heeke's job? To fly to games and cheerlead? Is that why he's being paid more than $700k/year?
A competent AD is there to ensure the money making sports are making money and to hire the best people possible in those positions. This is the most important hire in the entire department. The most important position. You can have a ho-hum school president. And even a ho-hum AD as long as that AD can do one thing very good -- and that's hire a really good head basketball coach.

What the hell is this guy even around for? To go on Rich Herrera's radio show and promote Arizona athletics?
Here's how a healthy leadership structure works.

A good president hires a solid AD, then lets the AD do his thing without intervening.

A good AD hires a good basketball coach, then lets the coach do his thing.

The president and AD support their programs. Support does not equal micromanaging and dictating the direction. If a coach is succeding, they get to do it their way. If a coach fails, then they get fired and replaced with someone better.

Our leadership structure is the Daniel Snyder/Jerry Jones model, where the overall leader thinks he knows too much and isn't letting the people under him execute their jobs without intervention. So instead of people who are executing their professional work, you get an unqualified micromanager with a bloated ego directing things.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

There's only one answer: back up the Brink's truck to Pitino's house and hope he says yes.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RawleArenas wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:18 am There's only one answer: back up the Brink's truck to Pitino's house and hope he says yes.
So he can turn us down to stay at Iona and make us look like a bigger laughing stock?

No thanks.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:41 am I dunno. Maybe it makes everyone feel all warm and fuzzy fantasizing.

Truth is that we have two incompetent assholes that are fucking with something we all enjoy, so yeah maybe I should apologize for lacing extreme rudeness so we can have multiple fantasy posts.

Or I could say fuck right off. But I won’t cause I don’t want Chi or JMark to yell at me.

So carry on with the circle jerk.
Wow that's better. Thanks for the apology........lol. All good. Tensions are high and it is human nature to try and go back and revisit a bad decision. ODogg knows that it is fantasy once the deed as been done and is as frustrate as any of us that it didn't need to come to this.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

This thread is becoming more entertaining by the minute. Can't wait to see what happens next...
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:06 am If they fuck this up and the BB cash cow dies, shit is going to hit the fan. What will happen to the athletic dept? We have relied on that money for decades to keep the ad afloat. These guys are playing with fire. Could we ever get the BB cash cow back again? Doubtful in my mind
You obviously aren't aware of the Ben Lindsey era at Arizona and the handful of sub-par years that preceded that rock bottom season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:52 am
You obviously aren't aware of the Ben Lindsey era at Arizona and the handful of sub-par years that preceded that rock bottom season.
I don't know. It took a HOF coach to create what we look at as Arizona basketball, and that was a very different era in terms of player movement and roster stability.

I'm not totally saying it isn't possible to recover from a hit these days, but HOF level coaches aren't commonly available and this era has unprecedented challenges for coaches.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:56 am
I don't know. It took a HOF coach to create what we look at as Arizona basketball, and that was a very different era in terms of player movement and roster stability.

I'm not totally saying it isn't possible to recover from a hit these days, but HOF level coaches aren't commonly available and this era has unprecedented challenges for coaches.
1st, I actually attended more than 1 Ben Lindsey coached game at McKale. 2nd, I think society has mostly moved on from going to games in person like we saw in the Olson era so I'm not sure how easy it will be to replicate that success. I hope I'm wrong and that we get a coach to lead us to the promise land but I have my doubts. Like I said, these guys are playing with fire and I hope they realize that they need to get their shit together and make a good hire
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I mean I look at UCLA. They arguably had the best coach ever. They had the greatest dynasty ever. And I wouldn't say they've been consistently the banner carrier for the pac12 over the past 30 years. That's been us. They've had final fours and maybe even an NC, can't recall. They've been maybe as good as us, if you compare resumes. But really it was UA/Furd, then UA/UCLA with some UA/UW and UA/UO mixed in. Right? And that's in part because we've had two major eras. Lute/Miller. They've had 11 coaches in that time frame it seems.

So what I'm saying is that even UCLA, which is a blue blood, is in California, has the love of the conference and the love of the media and the love of the refs and everything going for it, had the best coach ever and the best history ever, and even they haven't been back to greatness in a consistent enough way like I'd want for us.

If they can't just get back on top like it's no big deal, then how hard is it going to be for us?

We feared we might become irrelevant after Lute. Maybe it was only while we had him. But Miller saw something in the fanbase and the passion of the community and made it work, blending old with new and it was as good as you can ask for in that situation.

And now... Man. I don't know. Maybe now all the "it was nice while it lasted" fears I had for the "what will happen when Lute retired" threads are going to have to be dusted off.

It's not something to take for granted, especially when you aren't kansas, kentucky, duke, ucla.

Remember how Maryland was always relevant. Georgetown? We won't be the first team to drop out of relevancy. We'd be lucky to have a UCLA style 20-30 years. And that's so much less than I expect for us.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I do and had to live through it.

People, it was so bad you could actually move from your bad cheap seat at McKale to one closer to the court. You could hear sneakers squeak for God’s sake.

It actually could be worse now that I think about it.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:18 am
I do and had to live through it.

People, it was so bad you could actually move from your bad cheap seat at McKale to one closer to the court. You could hear sneakers squeak for God’s sake.

It actually could be worse now that I think about it.
My dad would pay for the cheapest seats and there were games we watched from the 3rd or 4th row and with only a few people in front of us. It was sad to be honest
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 am

1st, I actually attended more than 1 Ben Lindsey coached game at McKale. 2nd, I think society has mostly moved on from going to games in person like we saw in the Olson era so I'm not sure how easy it will be to replicate that success. I hope I'm wrong and that we get a coach to lead us to the promise land but I have my doubts. Like I said, these guys are playing with fire and I hope they realize that they need to get their shit together and make a good hire
Lindsey was before my time (think I was 1 when he left) but agreed. The modern era...it's more challenging than it was in the 80's. Good players leave for the pros, players transfer much more, it's a tough landscape.

Heck, this year we might have been captained by a senior Deandre Ayton if this was the 80's. Mannion, Akinjo, Green, Tubelis and Ayton could have won a few games as a starting lineup.

Totally agree on fan support too. Live sporting events are a declining market right now. Arizona basketball has great fan support, but you can't take it for granted. The winning stops, well, soon we'll have LA type traffic preventing more than 9,000 people from getting to McKale.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

It's Tuesday with no end in sight.

I honestly can't believe we don't have a coach.

CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I'm starting to think God was looking at Sean and said "Enough, he does not deserve this madness...who will go and help him? And the Devil showed up and said "I can go and with very little effort get Robbins ego involved, in no time Sean will be free and all the fans who hated Sean will get what they want"...and The Lord said, "Make it so"...

And then Sean enjoyed the fruit of his labor and got the buyout and was able to relax by the pool and watch the fire and brimstone of stupidity reign down on the city that was once his home..."
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Love the biblical references. How about one with Noah's Ark saving us all after 40 days of rain?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Or Jonah and the whale. I hope we get spit out to safety after 3 days in the belly.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:00 pm Love the biblical references. How about one with Noah's Ark saving us all after 40 days of rain?
How about the time Book Richardson took 30 pieces of silver from Christian Dawkins? The FBI didn't have Judas Iscariot on a wire, but it's the same message.

Heeke just reminds me of Joseph. He's the kind of guy whose "virgin" wife could come to him pregnant, say it was God who got her pregnant, and he'd be like "yeah, that sounds legit."
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Scheer with an interesting (free) article on robbins/heeke meeting with miller

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/Article/robbins-heeke-meet-with-miller-164115507/
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Bastard
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nice work POM!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

POM you suck.....lol.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Should have known something was fishy when the words "free" and "Scheer" were that close together.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Not clicking on it. Nope. Not gonna do it. I’ve been Rick rolled too many times on other boards.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:11 am Should have known something was fishy when the words "free" and "Scheer" were that close together.
I mean really, I made the clue obvious ;)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

My daughter had to explain rickrolled was a thing.
She was sitting next to me when it happened.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

If you guys want to do a "Thank You Sean Miller" billboard in Tucson I'd put money towards it.

The Alumni Association might be the better group to lead this, but I'm not in touch with them.

Likewise, there may be other groups to involve.

But we can do it ourselves too. Get a nice classy graphic and keep it simple and straightforward.

Looks like we need to gather about $4K to get a billboard in Tucson.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:00 pm If you guys want to do a "Thank You Sean Miller" billboard in Tucson I'd put money towards it.

The Alumni Association might be the better group to lead this, but I'm not in touch with them.

But we can do it ourselves too. Get a nice classy graphic and keep it simple and straightforward.

I'd be open to donating to this, with a caveat that I'd also like it if the billboard took a shot at Robbins and Heeke.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:06 pm
azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:00 pm If you guys want to do a "Thank You Sean Miller" billboard in Tucson I'd put money towards it.

I'd be open to donating to this, with a caveat that I'd also like it if the billboard took a shot at Robbins and Heeke.
I'm in too. Miller has always been classy and has taken the high road when most of us would be screaming and yelling.
He loves the school, the program and the fans.
We should reciprocate with class and show him we are nothing like the 2 douchebags that canned him.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I would like to donate to 2 separate billboards. One thanking CSM and whatever the next open one is behind it trashing Robbins and Heeke. I’m also willing to donate a little more to the 2nd one.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

PennZona20 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:12 pm

I would like to donate to 2 separate billboards. One thanking CSM and whatever the next open one is behind it trashing Robbins and Heeke. I’m also willing to donate a little more to the 2nd one.
Then a third with that "f 🌵 ck espn" graphic. And a fourth that says "Fire Larry Scott" even though he's already been fired.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Miller 422
Lloyd 0
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:32 pm Miller 422
Lloyd 0
There was a time when Miller had 0.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:45 pm
Lloyd 0
He had 120 when he came to Arizona. Lloyd.... doesn’t.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:51 pm
Lloyd 0
I know that. I have access to Wikipedia as well.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:53 pm
Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:51 pm
Lloyd 0
I know that. I have access to Wikipedia as well.
So you don’t need the link? :lol:

Arizona basketball shouldn’t be hiring coaches who are just getting their feet wet and yet here we are.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Lloyd 0
Yeah, but I mean, the other side of the spin is that I have as many wins as a college HC as the guy we just hired.

It's a gigantic unknown. We certainly did not get a proven guy.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:57 pm Arizona basketball shouldn’t be hiring coaches who are just getting their feet wet and yet here we are.
I agree with you, but Arizona is in a weird period right now. The NCAA crap and poor leadership taints it all. In normal circumstances Arizona could just ask just about any coach and they'd come right over. Hopefully we'll get back there in due time.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I have the same record as Coaches Lloyd and Fisch combined