Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Postmaster

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Postmaster »

He was at the Suns games in playoffs and the paper had a story about him having Tommy Boy over for dinner.

Maybe JT will hire him.

I feel like his youngest would be a senior in college this year. Not sure if he went to AZ or not.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

He will probably hire his brother as an assistant. Head coaches at Arizona and Indiana......not bad.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Guarantee Sean coaches college again eventually.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:22 pm Guarantee Sean coaches college again eventually.
Ditto.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Absolutely. May be at a MAAC or Patriot League or A-10 school or something but he will within a couple years
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Speaking of Sean Miller, I'm watching the Florida game from 2012 with my kids, the Mark Lyons year.

Man those were some good teams, fun to watch if you could stand being down at halftime all the time, we did pull off some freaking good wins!!!

Edit, we are down by 11 under 10 min left!

Arrrgggghhhh!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:20 pm Speaking of Sean Miller, I'm watching the Florida game from 2012 with my kids, the Mark Lyons year.

Man those were some good teams, fun to watch if you could stand being down at halftime all the time, we did pull off some freaking good wins!!!

Edit, we are down by 11 under 10 min left!

Arrrgggghhhh!!!
I always thought that sideline/in-bounds TO was juuuuuust a bit iffy. Loved it though!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

And they just threw it away again!!!

And Lyons with. 7 sec left!!!?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Do you think Sean will go to Lute's tribute or view it as a distraction?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:57 pm Do you think Sean will go to Lute's tribute or view it as a distraction?
If he's in Tucson, I bet he'll be there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I would not. This is all about Lute and Miller would be a distraction
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Distraction for a tribute? What is Miller going to do jump up and down and make a scene?

I think it’s totally appropriate for Miller to attend if he wants to. He always showed incredible deference to Lute and I think Lute appreciated what Sean was doing.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Does anyone even know what will happen at the tribute? What type of program or ceremony? Will there be speakers? If people will be speaking -- about Lute, his impact on them, his contributions to the UA and the community, etc -- it would certainly be appropriate for Miller to attend AND to speak, just as it would be appropriate for any current or former coaches -- in any sport -- to speak.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I remember when Bobbi died and KGUN aired her tribute. Now that Lute is gone the best we can do is a live stream and tape delayed on Pac 12. Pretty sad.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:15 pm Distraction for a tribute? What is Miller going to do jump up and down and make a scene?
Miller is all class, the press is not.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I still think it was weird when Lute’s widow was at the Lloyd into presser.

To me it implied that she/Lute condoned the Miller tiring.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

This program was Lutes baby, her attending the Lloyd presser was like going to their granddaughters second wedding even if they liked her first husband.

That's how I saw it anyways.
-Norlander.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Did miller go to ceremony?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I didn't see him there. It was pretty much all Lute's players, staff & family.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:15 pm Distraction for a tribute? What is Miller going to do jump up and down and make a scene?

I think it’s totally appropriate for Miller to attend if he wants to. He always showed incredible deference to Lute and I think Lute appreciated what Sean was doing.
I doubt Sean Miller gets to make that choice any more. This is an event put on by Arizona Athletics, and I doubt they'd appreciate Miller's right to attend.

And other people are dead on that it would have turned it into a circus, and not because Miller did anything. Miller's treatment since about 2014 has been chock full of ginned up drama, and this would have been no different.

Sometimes respect involves knowing what's likely to happen.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:14 am

I doubt Sean Miller gets to make that choice any more. This is an event put on by Arizona Athletics, and I doubt they'd appreciate Miller's right to attend.

And other people are dead on that it would have turned it into a circus, and not because Miller did anything. Miller's treatment since about 2014 has been chock full of ginned up drama, and this would have been no different.

I think you misinterpreted what I said Spiff.

Of course this was Arizona Athletics call whether they invited Miller or not. If they didn't invite him nobody cares. I just don't agree it would have turned into a circus. By whom the Tucson paparazzi? ESPN? Robbins and Heeke sending out a tweet saying "who invited this guy?"

If Attila the Hun showed up to the event it would still be about Lute and the speakers paying tribute.

The Miller-Lute relationship is completely separate than the Miller-UA relationship. To me they are mutually exclusive.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:54 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:14 am

I think you misinterpreted what I said Spiff.

Of course this was Arizona Athletics call whether they invited Miller or not. If they didn't invite him nobody cares. I just don't agree it would have turned into a circus. By whom the Tucson paparazzi? ESPN? Robbins and Heeke sending out a tweet saying "who invited this guy?"

If Attila the Hun showed up to the event it would still be about Lute and the speakers paying tribute.

The Miller-Lute relationship is completely separate than the Miller-UA relationship. To me they are mutually exclusive.
I didn't mean to disagree with your point that Miller would have been respectful and could have spoken in a meaningful way about Lute. Miller always handled his role as successor to Lute very well in what is a difficult situation.

I do think his presence would have led to a media response that would have trivialized the event. That's not Miller's fault, I say that because of a complete distaste for how I think media would work.

End of the day, I think the answer about why he wasn't there is as simple as that Miller is persona non grata at an Arizona event, certainly now and potentially forever.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:59 am End of the day, I think the answer about why he wasn't there is as simple as that Miller is persona non grata at an Arizona event, certainly now and potentially forever.
If true, that's some bullshit. Miller won a LOT of games and hung some banners. I don't agree with cancelling the guy. He also had a warm relationship with Lute throughout his time as our coach.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I believe that as long as the cloud of the pending NCAA findings and outcome is hanging over both Miller and the institution, is is really in the interests of both to maintain a ow profile by not associating with one another.

Most likely, after whatever the actual fallout is, there will likely be a period of distance, but, like most of these things, Miller will eventually be welcomed back and have his just place in the legacy of Arizona basketball.

After all, Two of the most prominent speakers yesterday were Jason Terry and Jim Rosborough, each of whom experienced "distancing" in the past....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:30 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:59 am End of the day, I think the answer about why he wasn't there is as simple as that Miller is persona non grata at an Arizona event, certainly now and potentially forever.
If true, that's some bullshit. Miller won a LOT of games and hung some banners. I don't agree with cancelling the guy. He also had a warm relationship with Lute throughout his time as our coach.
I think his entire end was BS. Right now, it's as simple as Heeke and Robbins wanting their "new direction," which means not Miller.

Heeke and Robbins aren't going to want to be around Miller, and I'd bet the feeling is mutual. They aren't going to want Miller at an event like Lute's thing because of their push to go a different way.

Yeah, it's sort of acknowledging this isn't really about Lute, at least to the degree new coach optics play a role. That's just sort of how things are, though. It's a ceremony for Lute and a show for Arizona Athletics and Basketball, and right now, Miller isn't a part of the show.

If Miller returns, I'd expect the process of that starts when Heeke and Robbins exit. And as critical as I am of Heeke and Robbins, I doubt that's entirely their choice. I assume Miller has no love lost for them, I just think he's justified in that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:40 am I believe that as long as the cloud of the pending NCAA findings and outcome is hanging over both Miller and the institution, is is really in the interests of both to maintain a ow profile by not associating with one another.

Most likely, after whatever the actual fallout is, there will likely be a period of distance, but, like most of these things, Miller will eventually be welcomed back and have his just place in the legacy of Arizona basketball.

After all, Two of the most prominent speakers yesterday were Jason Terry and Jim Rosborough, each of whom experienced "distancing" in the past....
I think this is likely how it's playing out, NM. Who even knows whether Miller himself wanted to be there yesterday? How many of his former players were there? In the pics I've seen, it's mainly Lute's guys. I didn't see TJ or Wise or Fogg or York or any of the more recent guys.

Time heals all wounds, as you're implying. Ultimately, the footage of Miller winning big games will be more powerful than memories of the scandal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:26 am I think this is likely how it's playing out, NM. Who even knows whether Miller himself wanted to be there yesterday? How many of his former players were there? In the pics I've seen, it's mainly Lute's guys. I didn't see TJ or Wise or Fogg or York or any of the more recent guys.
To me, that's cool and the way it should have been. I like when ceremonies like that focus on the actual guys who were with Lute and directly affected by Lute. TJ, Wise, Fogg, etc. weren't part of it like RJ, Walton, Terry, etc. were.

There's some value in that. If anyone from the Miller era should have been there, it was Miller, as his role as direct successor to Lute was the connection. Miller's players...well, I think it was more meaningful with only Lute's players.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

was Lloyd there?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:32 am was Lloyd there?
Yes
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Thanks....must have missed him in the video.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

They showed Byrne a couple times but no Miller. Kind of expected
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

There's the etiquette of not being a distraction, but also he'd look like a complete failure.

Here's the legend who built Arizona Basketball! And here's his successor who got canned!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:13 pm They showed Byrne a couple times but no Miller. Kind of expected
Byrne? Why? He never presided over Lute.

Was Cedric Dempsey there?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:29 pm
Jefe wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:13 pm They showed Byrne a couple times but no Miller. Kind of expected
Byrne? Why? He never presided over Lute.

Was Cedric Dempsey there?
Yes, he spoke too
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’m surprised Robbins didn’t invite Tortolini, or whatever her name is.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

On now.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I thought I could but I just cant watch it. So strange hearing him without a coaching job.

Any talk of our team?

Archie's been in the weight room
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:53 pm
Kominsky is to Miller as Doleac is to Lute.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Do we need to start a ban poll?

There are rules around here
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've reached the point where I think it's funny now. And yet earlier tourney losses I won't mention aren't funny at all.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Here is a link to his and Archie's 2nd PODCAST. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6McX8WSNg . I really like it and you learn a lot. So everyone knows that Cal has a relationship and reached out to Miller about the Az. job. Know why? He was Pitts assistant coach when Sean played there. If you want to hear a really funny story about Sean it comes around the 53-54 minute mark. Great series and a ton about St. Mary's and BYU.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Miller would absolutely kill it at Maryland but they won't hire him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Danny Manning is auditioning for that job currently.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Postmaster wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:44 pm He was at the Suns games in playoffs and the paper had a story about him having Tommy Boy over for dinner.

Maybe JT will hire him.

I feel like his youngest would be a senior in college this year. Not sure if he went to AZ or not.
His youngest graduated with my twins. He’s a sophomore now.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UofAlum05 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:47 am Miller would absolutely kill it at Maryland but they won't hire him.
He’s gonna get another shot somewhere. This one may’ve come up too soon.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UofAlum05 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:47 am Miller would absolutely kill it at Maryland but they won't hire him.
The AD can probably eat a greasy hamburger now in front of Miller.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Archie has a better chance of getting the Maryland job than Sean.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner