UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCat

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by TheCat »

The only thing I really dislike about Mick is he never gives the other team credit. It is either they didn't call a foul they should have or it is one of his players shortcomings that was at fault.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:25 am I could argue that Veesaar is terrible for only averaging 1.5 rebounds per game this year but, unlike you, I possess the ability to understand how minutes played factored into these numbers. Mara's rebounding rate, for example, is higher than Ballo's rebounding rate per minute was. You know who else had a lower rebounding rate than Mara? Zu. Math is not that hard to understand, but you have to understand the numbers you are looking at. But I'm glad we are having this educational moment and I was here to help focus you in the right direction! I feel like we are learning about advanced stats, per 36/per 40, rebounding rates, Euro Basketball Leagues, the difference between U-18, U-17, and professional Euro leagues, that FIBA is an organization, et al. Happy to help!

The rest of the conversation you are having is just pure RC97 erotic fan fiction. Just because your statements are being corrected, doesn't mean I havent said he will develop into an AA, that I will change my opinion, none of that. I'm sure you believed it was cathartic "I told you so" when you typed it out.

Have you ever met Yoda on the UCLA board? I feel like you are his spirit animal.

Have a good day!
Well I think Mara was able to get 6 mins from a team that lost most of their production. It seems slight when considering all the talk of him being a first round choice. He was able to get 2 points but the rebounds for the 7'3" super star remain illusive. My point when talking about foreign players is they take awhile to develop and get use to the American game. Example one is Ballo. Take your time and keep encouraging him and allowing him TIME on the court making mistakes and he will be a great player. Very few can do well early especially big men.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Major struggle right now. The shooting issues are expected. The lack of hustling is frustrating. But replacing so many players means he's "relying" on guys that he really shouldnt be like Nwuba or McClendon
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Your team will win, Bug, but I'm guessing a MickMeltdown is due at the presser. I'll be hoisting a glass of claret and admiring the nuggets he dispenses.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I posted right about when they went on a 34-4 run. It does seem like Mick found at least one lineup now
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The reason I really don't like Mick is exactly what he said about Mara. Contrast that to the encouragement Tommy gives his unpolished 7'2' foreign player. Mick is just a punk.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA must have won because RC97 is back giving out neg rep! And here I thought he was done with UCLA hoops!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What does he do for this team?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

It is hard for me to understand why UCLA's foreign players with professional contracts are not being given the same treatment as was given to Kerr. Don't know the exact circumstances but Mara especially had a current contract which they were trying to enforce and let the NCAA and UCLA that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Ucla about to find out today why Shaka was offered the job before Micro.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Marq is really good and experienced. Should be a good learning experience for the Bruins. I always pull for the PAC teams but this will be the last year for that.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Hell of a performance even in the loss. Mick had the team ready to go and missing the game tying layup as time expired sucks, but a lot of good things, and some to work on, can be gleaned from the loss. Mick is a hell of a coach.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well if you could find an offense out of that mess that Marq ran last night it would be a miracle. They play Chami today. The refs in that game were terrible for both sides.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Mick in rare form early in the Gonzaga game. Jeez. Very early but UCLA needs an offense other than one on one. He needs to get a assistant that just works on that. Mick has the defense covered but maybe his philosophy is just more one on one.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

17 fouls in 12 minutes. Thanks refs...yuck
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Imodium Mick likes a constipated game.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:39 pm 17 fouls in 12 minutes. Thanks refs...yuck
Just getting started and for that UCLA should be grateful. This game is unwatchable. This is not jr. high and guys ca take take a bump or two. That charge by Bona that just occurred shows me he is not a basketball genius. UCLA still has hope. Need the PAC to win some of these games.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

The refs falling for these flops is a disgrace. What happened to flopping being a technical?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

This game is awful due to the refs. 47 fouls so far
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

MrBug708 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:59 pm This game is awful due to the refs. 47 fouls so far
Did you bring Pac refs with you?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Why the hell is Mick complaining about an obvious charge by a player out of control. UCLA still has a chance.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:00 am
MrBug708 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:59 pm This game is awful due to the refs. 47 fouls so far
Did you bring Pac refs with you?
Probably. (Seriously, I have no idea)
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

That was a hell of a 5th place game. Guess we'll have to make the conference look good by ourselves.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Scoring 19 baskets in a game is pretty dismal. Great fight at the end but too little. If the Zags hit free throws they could have made it easier on themselves. That was a 3.3 hr game. Just fn shoot me.
Last edited by TheCat on Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The other thing is it is clear Mara is not yet a first round draft choice. I believe he will be a good player eventually but the game is a tad to fast for him right now. He is not a very good rebounder for his size, can pass the ball decently and dunk. Defensively has a ways to go. He is also playing for a coach that to me will not develop his confidence like it should be.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I didn't stay up to watch the UCLA game, but first thing I noticed this AM was that 51 fouls were called. Thank my lucky stars that I missed that disaster!!

IMNSHO, that means that no meaningful conclusion can be drawn from a referee-ruined contest...

... except maybe that neither team shot FT's very well.

Move on to base judgment on an actual game where the players are in charge!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Certainly appears the talk of the bruins demise was way premature. Cronin has them playing tough as always and give them a few months and they will be much better offensively.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:10 am Certainly appears the talk of the bruins demise was way premature. Cronin has them playing tough as always and give them a few months and they will be much better offensively.
I question the defensive strategy of not double teaming or switching up on the Zag guy that scored half their points and set a 25 year % record for the Zags. Maybe Mick was just trying to see if someone could guard him. These games are a lot about seeing how your team response to pressure, what combinations work, and who is going to be in the rotation. Every team is going to struggle with early chemistry and I expect Arizona will too. I just hope it isn't today. LOL
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I think there will be struggles with so many new players in Mick's system. With so many leaving for professional basketball, there really isn't a lot of guys who know the rotations correctly. It will be a work in progress and look a lot like Mick's first season.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:05 pm I think there will be struggles with so many new players in Mick's system. With so many leaving for professional basketball, there really isn't a lot of guys who know the rotations correctly. It will be a work in progress and look a lot like Mick's first season.
Not sure you can have it both ways Bug. Didn't you say these guys are 17 y/o playing against men so they are advanced? Is it the rocket science of Mick's defense?

Didn't you say "I could argue that Veesaar is terrible for only averaging 1.5 rebounds per game this year but, unlike you, I possess the ability to understand how minutes played factored into these numbers. Mara's rebounding rate, for example, is higher than Ballo's rebounding rate per minute was. You know who else had a lower rebounding rate than Mara? Zu. Math is not that hard to understand, but you have to understand the numbers you are looking at. But I'm glad we are having this educational moment and I was here to help focus you in the right direction! I feel like we are learning about advanced stats, per 36/per 40, rebounding rates, Euro Basketball Leagues, the difference between U-18, U-17, and professional Euro leagues, that FIBA is an organization, et al. Happy to help!"

How are his rebounding numbers now?

I think this person that didn't understand the numbers just said what he saw and what he knew about foreign big men taking some time to get up to the speed and physicality of the American game. You are right math is not hard to understand but knowing the nuances of the game can be challenging. Happy to help !

I believe Mara will be good when he gets some experience and confidence. I don't think he is with the right coach to help with his confidence but there is always the portal next year.

I'm just glad recruits can see Mick on National TV especially if we are recruiting them.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

TheCat wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:51 pm
MrBug708 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:05 pm I think there will be struggles with so many new players in Mick's system. With so many leaving for professional basketball, there really isn't a lot of guys who know the rotations correctly. It will be a work in progress and look a lot like Mick's first season.
Not sure you can have it both ways Bug. Didn't you say these guys are 17 y/o playing against men so they are advanced? Is it the rocket science of Mick's defense?

Didn't you say "I could argue that Veesaar is terrible for only averaging 1.5 rebounds per game this year but, unlike you, I possess the ability to understand how minutes played factored into these numbers. Mara's rebounding rate, for example, is higher than Ballo's rebounding rate per minute was. You know who else had a lower rebounding rate than Mara? Zu. Math is not that hard to understand, but you have to understand the numbers you are looking at. But I'm glad we are having this educational moment and I was here to help focus you in the right direction! I feel like we are learning about advanced stats, per 36/per 40, rebounding rates, Euro Basketball Leagues, the difference between U-18, U-17, and professional Euro leagues, that FIBA is an organization, et al. Happy to help!"

How are his rebounding numbers now?

I think this person that didn't understand the numbers just said what he saw and what he knew about foreign big men taking some time to get up to the speed and physicality of the American game. You are right math is not hard to understand but knowing the nuances of the game can be challenging. Happy to help !

I believe Mara will be good when he gets some experience and confidence. I don't think he is with the right coach to help with his confidence but there is always the portal next year.

I'm just glad recruits can see Mick on National TV especially if we are recruiting them.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL.
There is a lot to unpack here. I don't think it has any rhyme or reason as you are confusing things again, but if you felt cathartic in writing it out, I'm happy for you.

I am glad you seem to still be up for some education. You asked how his rebounding numbers are right now. Mara's defensive rebounding % is currently at 23.0, which is higher than both Ballo's and Krivas right now. You claimed Mick might not be the right guy, his system is tough for sure, it also develops players on the defensive end. Hence my comment that there are a lot of guys trying to figure out the system. Last year, they worked in Bona and Bailey around guys with multiple years in Mick's system. This year, they only had one starter returning and two guys who played rotational minutes. So a lot of guys are missing assignments. So some guys get quicker hooks than others.

Thank you for the reminder earlier. I'm glad my comments still hold true!

Happy Thanksgiving!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Yes of course your right. Mara's defensive rebounding % proves to anyone that has NEVER seen a game he is an elite rebounder and better than Ballo and Krivas in rebounding. In fact Boswell, Johnson, Love, Ballo, Krivas, Larson and Lewis average more boards per game not to mention Murauskas and Borovicanin but they have not played in every game so I will exclude them. He is great though.....he just can't get on the court.

You keep saying you have one starter returning with 2 rotational players, how many guys you think we have that started at Arizona last year? Rotational players?

You think there is a real improvement in Bona's offensive game? How about how he actually plays defense and his fouls? He is a physical specimen with great hops that can dominate a game with his athleticism. That is the same as last year. I have watch him a few times and folks say he developed a reliable 12 ft shot. He might have but in the few games I have seen it is not so obvious. Bona plays incredibly physical and in some games that is going to be a good thing in others not so much. Against the Zags he could have easily had two more fouls.

Bug you went a little overboard on your Mara rebounding analysis but thanks for the education. I guess dumb old me will just rely on my eyes and winning plays.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

We can't really have honest dialogs when you repeatedly make up claims that were never said. Let's leave that to the RC97. Where did I say he was an elite rebounder? You asked me what his rebounding numbers are, I provided some numbers for you. If you didn't like the answer, don't ask the questions. You even quoted stats that give you different types of statistics. If you don't understand them, that's fine, this discussion clearly can't be held if they don't make sense.

Have a good evening!
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I believe UCLA is going to improve. Mick can coach.
Would would anyone be surprised if they finish top 2 or 3 in the league?

I don’t trust Colorado or USC. But at least I know I will get consistent effort with a Cronin coached team.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Mick is very very effective. He makes players his own and largely causes other teams to play games the way he wants the game to go. His pugnacious and constipated style was similar to, but better than Miller's IMO. I truly don't enjoy watching his basketball, but lately I have been watching youtubes of all his pressers, and I'm liking the prick more and more for his seething short-man sardonicism. He's not just a whining ball buster though, I think he's multi-dimensional with his young men, and they really respect his toughness and teachings.

Coming out of Pauley with a W will be our toughest conference task.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Man I hope we can we delete this thread the day after the tournament and forget about FUCLA and U$C forever.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:16 am Man I hope we can we delete this thread the day after the tournament and forget about the FUCLA and U$C forever.
I think that CTL's scheduling would easily accommodate non-conference games vs either one - good competition and recruiting exposure...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:38 pm We can't really have honest dialogs when you repeatedly make up claims that were never said. Let's leave that to the RC97. Where did I say he was an elite rebounder? You asked me what his rebounding numbers are, I provided some numbers for you. If you didn't like the answer, don't ask the questions. You even quoted stats that give you different types of statistics. If you don't understand them, that's fine, this discussion clearly can't be held if they don't make sense.

Have a good evening!
It’s amazing how I remain in this guy’s head year after year.

I used to have a timeshare in his mental space; now I own the whole damn building.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:40 am
MrBug708 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:38 pm We can't really have honest dialogs when you repeatedly make up claims that were never said. Let's leave that to the RC97. Where did I say he was an elite rebounder? You asked me what his rebounding numbers are, I provided some numbers for you. If you didn't like the answer, don't ask the questions. You even quoted stats that give you different types of statistics. If you don't understand them, that's fine, this discussion clearly can't be held if they don't make sense.

Have a good evening!
It’s amazing how I remain in this guy’s head year after year.

I used to have a timeshare in his mental space; now I own the whole damn building.
Says the guy going around neg repping every take because his ass got owned at every single instance of interaction and has resorted to being a Karen. :lol:
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Bug, all foolishness aside what’s your take on this year’s group? Looks like Mack and Bona will be the top contributors but which guys do you think might break out? Been watching Micks teams long enough to know they will be tough to score against so will always be in games. Seems they could surprise as they are below the radar now but could be a tough out by the end of the season.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Have a good evening!
Oh no the numbers make sense they are simply misleading. You didn't say he was an elite rebounder but you implied he was better than TWO pretty good rebounders. His pro numbers along with his current numbers make it fairly clear he is subpar rebounder for a guy 7'3" . You can stick with your condescending "if you don't understand them" and I'll stick with my eyes and the fact that he can't get on the floor for a defensive coach that values rebounding.

I think he has value and if he saw the floor a little more he would greatly improve. I doubt that will happen soon in his current environment.

One last thing. I think the games against UCLA will be tough and a toss up both at home and on the road. I hope the deciding factor will be offense and if you want me to quote you some numbers Bug I will but let's agree to just use our eyes.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:33 am Bug, all foolishness aside what’s your take on this year’s group? Looks like Mack and Bona will be the top contributors but which guys do you think might break out? Been watching Micks teams long enough to know they will be tough to score against so will always be in games. Seems they could surprise as they are below the radar now but could be a tough out by the end of the season.
Like most of Mick's teams, I think they will improve as the season goes. I think this is his deepest team he's had so other than maybe Andrews, he can afford an injury or two and still be ok by years end. Berke seems to be the guy everyone feels like is the best out of the 4, but I think Ilane will be the best out of the group if he can make it into Mick's circle of trust. His net rating this year for efficiency is at +57 and he looks the most advanced defensively out of the group of Euros. He just needs to get more minutes. One of the complaints about Mick is he uses end of game situations to still work on things, so starters often log big minutes, when I think he should work on the rest of the kids and get them court time. Vide has a lot of drives to nowhere with our limited spacing, so he needs to work on that. But Mack clearly is the find of the class.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

They all have a chance to be good but it will take time. They need to play if they are going to develop how they should. Nothing builds confidence like performing under pressure. It may take away from the immediate results but no one cares about it till March. I don't know if Mick is good at that and I don't know if an offense based on one on one is good for that development in the short term. When I've watched the Bruins this year they have had a ball dominate guard and that can be both a curse and a cure. I think most Arizona fans liked Tyger and how he was a really good ball distributor and that if a play broke down he could get his own. Not sure if the current guy passes as well or more importantly as much.

The Bruins will be tough as they have always been. I don't personally like Mick and his public antics. His sideline demeanor reminds me of our own Mike Stoops. But even with Mike's over the top behavior I never saw him run down a player on the sidelines or make that "you dumb mfr" stare that I think embarrasses a player. Maybe UCLA fans don't mind that but at Arizona it wore thin quickly.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

A 1 point victory in Pauley. Mick will be looking for a blood sacrifice. Can't miss his presser after he bleaches off.

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

So glad this is the last year in this shitty ass conference. UCLA can go make the Big 10 look bad next year.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

How are we the only bloody ranked team in the pac 12???

This swan song has some tuning up to do.

I guess we will just have to win the natty.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:44 pm A 1 point victory in Pauley. Mick will be looking for a blood sacrifice. Can't miss his presser after he bleaches off.
Mick was absent - COVID

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:58 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:44 pm A 1 point victory in Pauley. Mick will be looking for a blood sacrifice. Can't miss his presser after he bleaches off.
Mick was absent - COVID
He catch that at the annual munchkin reunion?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:04 am
Mick was absent - COVID
He catch that at the annual munchkin reunion?
He's into the toilet seat licking challenge the kids went through a ways back. He's a natural: doesn't even have to bend over.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Mick was absent - COVID
That's a shame.

* I mean, a shame about the eventual presser being diluted

~ Wilhoit's Law