Caitlin Clark

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: Caitlin Clark

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:41 pm Would have been a lot more if it wasn't on ESPN.
It was on ABC, and ESPN3
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One of my female cousins who played and coached collegiate basketball posted this. I had no idea.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I didn't watch the men's or the women's game this year, travelling for women's game, would have watched otherwise, but I have watched more women's championship games in the last 5 years than men's. People get up early, that men's game doesn't start til 9 freaking 30. That is really late, I got 3 kids 10 and under, was asleep before it started. It should be on Saturday night.

End whine.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I mean the women's game was on ABC in the middle of the afternoon on a Sunday. The men's was late Monday night on cable. They're begging the women to take the ratings. No idea why Turner thought taking the men away from CBS was a smart move.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The difference was 4 million viewers. If this happened a year ago the PAC would have the top women's programs to sell and maybe we would still be the PAC. Caitlin Clark did this and ESPN/ABC should bow down.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

With Tara VanDerveer retiring I'm not sure how much marquee the Standard women will still have. Can't blame her as this is the perfect time to go.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:lol:

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I see even Biden is getting involved with her WNBA salary. And like I keep saying, that's just peanuts compared to her endorsement deals.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:18 am I see even Biden is getting involved with her WNBA salary. And like I keep saying, that's just peanuts compared to her endorsement deals.
The problem is the WNBA doesn't make money like the NBA. There isn't even close to as much demand. Although Caitlin Clark may help change that. If you want the women to make more, they will need to be subsidized right now.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

For anyone wondering, that’s a parody feed that makes up “funny” quotes from golfers.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Catintheheat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:32 am
Merkin wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:18 am I see even Biden is getting involved with her WNBA salary. And like I keep saying, that's just peanuts compared to her endorsement deals.
The problem is the WNBA doesn't make money like the NBA. There isn't even close to as much demand. Although Caitlin Clark may help change that. If you want the women to make more, they will need to be subsidized right now.
The Las Vegas Aces have sold out their entire upcoming season already. They play in an arena that seats about 8000 at Mandalay Bay. Some of their games have already been moved to T-Mobile Arena that seats about 18k. Would be cool if they sell out too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Everyone who said it would take her two+ seasons to get acclimated has got to feel dumb right now.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

and really.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

and really. Can the Fever get a Bill Laimbeer type who doesn't hate her?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

84Cat wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:21 am
Unless her teammates decide to "enforce" some fairplay for her, she's gonna get hurt, and the entire league will suffer her absence...

Chennedy should have had a bloody nose or cracked rib within one minute PT after that crap.

Same for any of the young stars entering the league... WTF!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It does seem remarkable that the WNBA is not protecting their meal ticket
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:30 am It does seem remarkable that the WNBA is not protecting their meal ticket
It’s not like a WNBA exec can run out onto the court to do something. That’s on her so-called teammates. The GM needs to get some players who are going to act like an actual team.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:36 am
Alieberman wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:30 am It does seem remarkable that the WNBA is not protecting their meal ticket
It’s not like a WNBA exec can run out onto the court to do something. That’s on her so-called teammates. The GM needs to get some players who are going to act like an actual team.
The coach needs to challenge her players, not complain publicly to the league...

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:36 am
I'm not saying she should get the Jordan / LeBron treatment from the refs as a rookie... but the WNBA could certainly have some talks with the heads of officiating saying they better keep an eye out for players taking cheap shots on the best thing that's ever happened to the WNBA
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

It definitely was uncalled for but Caitlin talks a lot of crap on the court. I don't condone a player taking a cheap shot at a player because of trash talking, but you could sense this was eventually going to happen. A rookie comes into the league and is making more money in sponsorships than most players. I don't think it helps that she is white and the media is giving her so much coverage.

As for Caitlin, she talks a lot and in only 9 games, she has three technical fouls. She should just go out there and let her game do the talking, but I don't think she can do that. We all remember when she put her hand to her face when Iowa beat Louisville in the Final Four in 2023. If she is going to dish it, she will need to be able to handle the stuff thrown her way. There is a video posted today that shows Caitlin pushing a player to the floor when she played at Iowa.
In the end, the WNBA will need to step in or this could become a problem. Also, you never know what a crazy fan might do.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What does that even mean? She can go back in time and shoot an extra free throw?

The WNBA need to get the refs to make better decisions during the game. That was definitely not an "off the ball" foul.

Can't think of a player hated more by the other teams, their own team, and the refs.

Did the Reds hate Pete Rose?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:59 pm
What does that even mean? She can go back in time and shoot an extra free throw?

The WNBA need to get the refs to make better decisions during the game. That was definitely not an "off the ball" foul.

Can't think of a player hated more by the other teams, their own team, and the refs.

Matt Barnes posted a great vid this weekend about how Clark's teammates haven't had her back, like at all, when these opposing players are beating the shit out of her. Not even their coach has done very much. I can only imagine how demoralizing that must be for CC. She's tough, though. I'm not worried about her finding her stride and starting to roll. But her teammates really need to step tf up.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:02 pm

Matt Barnes posted a great vid this weekend about how Clark's teammates haven't had her back, like at all, when these opposing players are beating the shit out of her. Not even their coach has done very much. I can only imagine how demoralizing that must be for CC. She's tough, though. I'm not worried about her finding her stride and starting to roll. But her teammates really need to step tf up.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:02 pm

I have no native understanding of team, but I am deeply, intimately steeped in crew. If your crew won't back you up in a bar fight it means you have transgressed some important part of the tribal law, or you have shunned some profound part of pre-existing tribal tribute, and the tribe is willing to let outside context be the hand of discipline. CC is a transcendent player who has to manage logistics rather than strategy. If she doesn't see the difference she won't appreciate the fact that she can put the ball in the hole and still lose the larger battle.

But if it's just crew jealously, she'll forever be a "trouble maker", and she'll be sacrificed.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

As a woman, I just want to point out that we are indeed petty as fuck.

I hope they (the WNBA as a whole) don't ruin this, as it's the best opportunity they have to finally be relevant.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The problem with the other women in the WNBA is that they don't recognize that CC is going to increase ticket prices, attendance, TV coverage, concession sales, etc etc. You saw it in college and you have seen it in the initial games in the WNBA. Having the highest rated game mens or womens since 2019 is not a benefit to CC it is a benefit to others. CC in salary makes 75-80K. Nike gave her a 8 figure deal. Those women better understand they got a meal ticket for the entire league because of interest in CC will mostly benefit them. Just fucking stupid. How many here watched a women's college basketball game (other than Arizona) for the first time?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

The girl who made the cheap shot is someone anyone who doesn't follow the WNBA would have no clue who she was. It was a chance to make her name.

For those who do follow the WNBA, you would know Chennedy is a lose cannon who after averaging more points in her rookie season than Catilin is averaging now was kicked off her team the following year then suspended by her next team and then out of the league for a year before the Sky picked her up this season.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Why Gronk? What is the backstory?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:42 am The girl who made the cheap shot is someone anyone who doesn't follow the WNBA would have no clue who she was. It was a chance to make her name.

For those who do follow the WNBA, you would know Chennedy is a lose cannon who after averaging more points in her rookie season than Catilin is averaging now was kicked off her team the following year then suspended by her next team and then out of the league for a year before the Sky picked her up this season.

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The WNBA league office needs to clean this mess up.

Suspend idiots like Chennedy Carter for a substantial period of time and heavily fine them.

One or two examples would solve this issue. Stop slapping thugs on the wrist.