Transfer Palooza Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TucsonClip

Re: Transfer Palooza Thread

Post by TucsonClip »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:10 pm Tennessee transfer visits AZ
Tobe Awaka Quick Scouting Report

Games watched: vs. Purdont, @ Missouri

This dude is a full on monster. He would immediately be the strongest, most physical guy on the team. However, he is a 5 all the way here and I dont see him playing much 4 unless we just want to mash teams. He is going to be similar to Ballo as a vertical spacer and lob threat. He needs a runway, but he has really good feet and can operate in traffic.

Offensively he is an absolute load in the paint. He is going to put guys into the basket, is a space eater in the heart of the defense, and active on the offensive glass. Good touch, he can finish through contact, has a pretty decent fadeaway jumper in the paint to get a shot up against longer, bigger guys. Good drop step, can work in the dunker spot, and an absolute unit setting screens. He is going to free up guards on those DHOs because hes wide and extremely physical. He is going to make sure guys feel it when he sets a screen.

In transition, he can run the court and moves pretty well for a guy his size. Will easily be able to seal and pin dudes. Definitely a threat on our duck ins. Hasnt shown much of anything as a passer.

Defensively, hes more active and agile than he initially looks. He is a quality defender who can slide his feet laterally, has decent mobility, can play at the level of the screen and in the drop. He actually does a nice job sliding with the guards at the level in ball screens. However, on the block is where you see his value. This dude was holding his own against Edey man up. He uses his strength and leverage to hold position on offense, but especially on defense. Edey wasnt able to back him down, and his footwork allowed him to keep his feet moving and slide to cut off Edey's moves and counters. He can defend any big man in the country on the block because of his strength and IQ.

He does a good job contesting shots just by playing straight up. His size allows him to get into offensive players, which is why his block rate is so high despite not being vertically athletic. When a shot goes up, he is bulldozing through guys to get to a rebound. Oh yeah, good luck boxing him out. He is going right through you.

Overall, he is a nice counter to what we have at C. He is physically imposing, would be the strongest guy on the team, has good feet, and can score around the rim multiple ways, monster on the glass and this is a dude who is NOT getting punked by anyone.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I like it when Clip gets excited about a guy.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:31 pm I like it when Clip gets excited about a guy.
Just wait till I really like a guy.

This portal season has been pretty underwhelming, but this dude is fun to watch bulldoze his victims.

-Shane Battier
Winger

Post by Winger »

TucsonClip wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:07 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:31 pm I like it when Clip gets excited about a guy.

This portal season has been pretty underwhelming, but this dude is fun to watch bulldoze his victims.
He was really good @ U19 FIBA for TUSA. Never could translate that for Barnes, however. At face value this read to me like Johnson “coming to shoot 3s and show my perimeter game” last off season where Awaka is coming in for Lloyd to morph him in to a 4, which is what he likely needs to be if he is going to play at the next level.

Problem there is he is a 5 and lacks the shooting, handle, and perimeter defensive ability to guard quicker players becoming a 4 would require.

As a 5 there are a bunch of questions:

Is Lloyd moving on from Krivas?
Is Awaka content to come in and be the center off the bench?
Is this another example (Kriisa, Maruskas, Boro, etc.) of Lloyd morphing his roster into one that can compete in the B12?
Is this a NIL move where he is going to the highest bidder or maximizing his number for a return to UT?

Unless Krivas is moving on this one doesn’t make a lot of sense: no position/minutes, Lloyd loves tall 5s, could start at a number of other high profile programs, etc.

Feels a bit like his posse is calling the shots.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Obviously would be good to get Awaka and Townsend, but with no outside game at the 4 and 5, defenses will just pack the paint again and dare the Cats to shoot from the perimeter, and Love will be more than happy to oblige.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Winger wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:33 am

He was really good @ U19 FIBA for TUSA. Never could translate that for Barnes, however. At face value this read to me like Johnson “coming to shoot 3s and show my perimeter game” last off season where Awaka is coming in for Lloyd to morph him in to a 4, which is what he likely needs to be if he is going to play at the next level.

Problem there is he is a 5 and lacks the shooting, handle, and perimeter defensive ability to guard quicker players becoming a 4 would require.

Is this another example (Kriisa, Maruskas, Boro, etc.) of Lloyd morphing his roster into one that can compete in the B12?
Is this a NIL move where he is going to the highest bidder or maximizing his number for a return to UT?

Unless Krivas is moving on this one doesn’t make a lot of sense: no position/minutes, Lloyd loves tall 5s, could start at a number of other high profile programs, etc.

Feels like he's going to compete with Krivas and each split 20 MPG at the 5. I don't see him as a 4 at all, but that could be the pitch for extra minutes off the bench.

Personally, I want to see Stephen. I don't usually scout HS guys unless I see then in international competitions. But his 247 profile is that if an athletic defender who rebounds and is a vertical spacer. No idea if that's true.

However, it does feel to me like Lloyd is trying to add some bruisers to deal with the physicality in the B12. This dude absolutely fits that bill. None of our current bigs do.

-Shane Battier
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Winger

Post by Winger »

TucsonClip wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:41 am
Winger wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:33 am

Feels like he's going to compete with Krivas and each split 20 MPG at the 5. I don't see him as a 4 at all, but that could be the pitch for extra minutes off the bench.

Personally, I want to see Stephen. I don't usually scout HS guys unless I see then in international competitions. But his 247 profile is that if an athletic defender who rebounds and is a vertical spacer. No idea if that's true.

However, it does feel to me like Lloyd is trying to add some bruisers to deal with the physicality in the B12. This dude absolutely fits that bill. None of our current bigs do.
Not used to high profile transfers coming in without a guarantee but he definitely gives Lloyd a different look at the 5.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm liking our chances with Townsend, if for no other reason than I think the warm, rustic charms of Tucson and the athlete-friendly UofA campus may win out over another midwest school.

Also, AZ > OSU
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

the second I saw we were going after Townsend I assumed he was coming here. he is a perfect fit for what tommy wants even if that isn't ideally how to play basketball in 2024.

assuming both love and KJ come back that should be the team.

if awaka comes I guess Henri would leave
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

starting

Jaden, love, KJ, townsend, and Krivas would be pretty terrible for spacing. also extremely small
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SunnyAZ wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:34 pm starting

Jaden, love, KJ, townsend, and Krivas would be pretty terrible for spacing. also extremely small
I really don’t see Love being back.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:06 pm
SunnyAZ wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:34 pm starting

I really don’t see Love being back.
How can he turn down a million bucks when he is looking at 1/5th of that overseas?
Winger

Post by Winger »

SunnyAZ wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:25 pm the second I saw we were going after Townsend I assumed he was coming here. he is a perfect fit for what tommy wants even if that isn't ideally how to play basketball in 2024.

Seems iffy that Awaka can play the 4, so not sure he effects Veesaar much; but am interested in your comment on Townsend above. Care to expand on that?

Don’t know that Lloyd has had anyone exactly like him yet. He is similar to Awaka in that he is undersized for a 4, doesn’t play like a 3/SF, isn’t a great shooter, and makes his living isoing/backing dudes down, in or near the paint where he can go both ways, shoot with both hands, and finish through contact and over bigger dudes (at least in the Horizon League).

What is interesting to me is that, as far as I know, Arizona hasn’t brought in a guy at one of the main positional needs: a legit PF, yet.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

SunnyAZ wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:25 pm the second I saw we were going after Townsend I assumed he was coming here. he is a perfect fit for what tommy wants even if that isn't ideally how to play basketball in 2024.

Henri is a 4, and was playing the 4 last we saw him. Unless his game has changed quite a bit, he wanted nothing to do with battling for position on the block.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Winger wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:27 am

Seems iffy that Awaka can play the 4, so not sure he effects Veesaar much; but am interested in your comment on Townsend above. Care to expand on that?

Don’t know that Lloyd has had anyone exactly like him yet. He is similar to Awaka in that he is undersized for a 4, doesn’t play like a 3/SF, isn’t a great shooter, and makes his living isoing/backing dudes down, in or near the paint where he can go both ways, shoot with both hands, and finish through contact and over bigger dudes (at least in the Horizon League).

What is interesting to me is that, as far as I know, Arizona hasn’t brought in a guy at one of the main positional needs: a legit PF, yet.
Not a big fan of Townsend, as you can tell from my scout on him. However, I haven't seen many 4s I would take who are really any good. I liked Mark Mitchell from Duke, but mainly because he is a legit defensive stud. Problem is he wanted more offensive involvement...

-Shane Battier
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

He looks to me like a shorter Tubelis, which definitely had severe liabilities for Arizona come tournament time. I would have preferred a PF who is a really good defender over a guy who can score in volume. Our offense has shown it can get buckets for bigs who may not have the most developed offensive game.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Henri is pretty obviously a center if he has any future in basketball.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

And Townsend commits to UA
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

SunnyAZ wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:44 am And Townsend commits to UA
Woot!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Great to see Tommy get a kid he prioritized.

So I take it he’s Keshad’s replacement?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Certainly not as big or strong as Keshad, but a really good athlete. I think majority of his shots were at the rim.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

At least UA doesn't have to play him again, at least in a scheduled game.

You will not outbid UT for NIL money.
Winger

Post by Winger »

TucsonClip wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:29 am

Not a big fan of Townsend, as you can tell from my scout on him. However, I haven't seen many 4s I would take who are really any good. I liked Mark Mitchell from Duke, but mainly because he is a legit defensive stud. Problem is he wanted more offensive involvement...

Agree, feels like a mid level addition, especially if he is playing at the 4. Still very early but this off season so far has felt to me like Lloyd is going to roll with what he already has. If that is what it ends up being I hope it’s good enough. He has earned the benefit of the doubt but there are almost no proven high major starters as of today (Bradley) and I remain scarred by what I saw (in terms of lack of offseason development and newcomers who could actually play) vs Lewis - Clark.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Maybe Tommy is just really feeling good about the incoming freshmen? It’s his best class so far.

But yeah, I’m not sure how “rolling with what we have” is gonna play in the B12.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Louisville? Really?

I mean all things being equal… I guess all things weren’t equal. Dude must have gotten a huge NIL deal to go there.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Winger

Post by Winger »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:10 am

He looks to me like a shorter Tubelis, which definitely had severe liabilities for Arizona come tournament time. I would have preferred a PF who is a really good defender over a guy who can score in volume. Our offense has shown it can get buckets for bigs who may not have the most developed offensive game.
Yeah he is quite a bit shorter than Tubelis. Also isn’t the rim runner that Tubelis was and to my eye he doesn’t have the same quality as a finisher as well. Think a key for him might be whether or not his finishing ability inside will translate from the Horizon to the B12.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Hobos? Maybe he’ll get some playing time.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

TucsonClip wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:59 pm
dmjcat wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:10 pm Tennessee transfer visits AZ
Tobe Awaka Quick Scouting Report

Games watched: vs. Purdont, @ Missouri

This dude is a full on monster. He would immediately be the strongest, most physical guy on the team. However, he is a 5 all the way here and I dont see him playing much 4 unless we just want to mash teams. He is going to be similar to Ballo as a vertical spacer and lob threat. He needs a runway, but he has really good feet and can operate in traffic.

Offensively he is an absolute load in the paint. He is going to put guys into the basket, is a space eater in the heart of the defense, and active on the offensive glass. Good touch, he can finish through contact, has a pretty decent fadeaway jumper in the paint to get a shot up against longer, bigger guys. Good drop step, can work in the dunker spot, and an absolute unit setting screens. He is going to free up guards on those DHOs because hes wide and extremely physical. He is going to make sure guys feel it when he sets a screen.

In transition, he can run the court and moves pretty well for a guy his size. Will easily be able to seal and pin dudes. Definitely a threat on our duck ins. Hasnt shown much of anything as a passer.

Defensively, hes more active and agile than he initially looks. He is a quality defender who can slide his feet laterally, has decent mobility, can play at the level of the screen and in the drop. He actually does a nice job sliding with the guards at the level in ball screens. However, on the block is where you see his value. This dude was holding his own against Edey man up. He uses his strength and leverage to hold position on offense, but especially on defense. Edey wasnt able to back him down, and his footwork allowed him to keep his feet moving and slide to cut off Edey's moves and counters. He can defend any big man in the country on the block because of his strength and IQ.

He does a good job contesting shots just by playing straight up. His size allows him to get into offensive players, which is why his block rate is so high despite not being vertically athletic. When a shot goes up, he is bulldozing through guys to get to a rebound. Oh yeah, good luck boxing him out. He is going right through you.

Overall, he is a nice counter to what we have at C. He is physically imposing, would be the strongest guy on the team, has good feet, and can score around the rim multiple ways, monster on the glass and this is a dude who is NOT getting punked by anyone.
Bumpity bump bump

-Shane Battier
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Wonder if we are actually pursuing this kid after the Awaka commitment:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:02 pm Wonder if we are actually pursuing this kid after the Awaka commitment:
Yeah...I don't think we're pursuing this kid period. Seems like he listed a few real schools and a handful of dream options.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

All I know is that Arkansas will be better than Kentucky next season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

As expected. Maybe I'll run into him and shout out a bear down :lol:
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Dylan Anderson still has eligibility?!
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:37 pm Dylan Anderson still has eligibility?!
He has 3 years left.