Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller
3goggles

Re: Coaching Searches 2015

Post by 3goggles »

the real dill wrote:Who replaces Barnes?

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller
On a side note has there been an Myles Turner sighting this year. I feel like I have not heard a word about him all year. Ivan Rabb needs to take note of what happens when you stay home for the shity team. People forget about you!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

You left off the coach with the highest ceiling in college basketball - Tony Bennett.

And Archie Miller probably runs an inferior offensive system we know so much about.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

UAEebs86 wrote:You left off the coach with the highest ceiling in college basketball - Tony Bennett.

And Archie Miller probably runs an inferior offensive system we know so much about.
I just assumed Bennett already coaches in the ACC for a team on the rise, and just signed a 7-year extension.

As for Turner, he doesn't really play a lot. He has all the skills, but Barnes' rotations are as maddening as his offense (which I think is just streetball).

Either way, he is dead man walking. Texas will owe him a $1.7M buyout, but he gone.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

the real dill wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:You left off the coach with the highest ceiling in college basketball - Tony Bennett.

I just assumed Bennett already coaches in the ACC for a team on the rise, and just signed a 7-year extension.
Just a little joke dill. We have a poster here who loves him some Tony Bennett, and hates Sean Miller's offensive system.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller
I do not think there is a chance Jay Wright leaves Philadelphia, and I would not want any piece of Gregg Marshall.

The other 3 I think make a solid target list; could not go wrong with any of them.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller
Honestly, Marshall may be Texas' best bet as a realistic hire (even though I share Harvey's opinion of him), he'd certainly be a change of pace. Shaka would likely be the best hire, although he turned down UCLA, so I don't see him taking the Texas gig if offered. Jay Wright isn't going anywhere, I doubt Kryst leaves Utah for a college job, and Miller is EST all the way.

I'd also look at Tad Boyle, Ben Jacobson, and Josh Pastner.

While we're here, can you explain Barnes' love affair with Javon Felix and Jonathan Holmes?
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

the real dill wrote:

As for Turner, he doesn't really play a lot. He has all the skills, but Barnes' rotations are as maddening as his offense (which I think is just streetball).

Either way, he is dead man walking. Texas will owe him a $1.7M buyout, but he gone.
Mere peanuts for Texas. Are you sure he's finally gone? Wonder if we will ever start up a series with them like we have in the past if Barnes is gonzo?

Why is Miller "EST all the way."? He's been an assistant in the state of AZ twice now.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

CBCat wrote:
the real dill wrote:

Mere peanuts for Texas. Are you sure he's finally gone? Wonder if we will ever start up a series with them like we have in the past if Barnes is gonzo?

Why is Miller "EST all the way."? He's been an assistant in the state of AZ twice now.
And he left Arizona quickly both times, to take jobs in Ohio. His family never became fond of Arizona.
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Reydituto wrote:

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller
Honestly, Marshall may be Texas' best bet as a realistic hire (even though I share Harvey's opinion of him), he'd certainly be a change of pace. Shaka would likely be the best hire, although he turned down UCLA, so I don't see him taking the Texas gig if offered. Jay Wright isn't going anywhere, I doubt Kryst leaves Utah for a college job, and Miller is EST all the way.

While we're here, can you explain Barnes' love affair with Javon Felix and Jonathan Holmes?
The only 2 guys on the team that can hit jump shots outside of 15 feet? I don't know what happened to Holmes. I thought he was playing himself into a late first early second round pick early in the season, but he has fallen apart. Felix is the only guy who can knock down threes, but he's a midget who struggles with tall guards and is a joke on D.

It's time for a change. I can't name one player in the last decade that left Texas as a better offensive player than when they arrived.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Indiana is on the prowl for Sean Miller.

Although, most of them don't realize he already turned them down long time ago :lol:

Archie would be interesting there. High upside, low bar set by Crean & Co. That's a really good opportunity (unlike UCLA).
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Bosy Billups wrote:Archie would be interesting there. High upside, low bar set by Crean & Co. That's a really good opportunity (unlike UCLA).
Someone mentioned earlier that Shaka turned down UCLA, so they didn't expect that Shaka would take the Texas job if offered. I wonder if the reality is the Texas job right now is a better job than the UCLA job under Guerrero. For me it will be real interesting to see who grabs that UT job.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

From my perspective without knowing any details, Smart should make the move to the big stage or else risk becoming Dixon-like.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

the real dill wrote:
The only 2 guys on the team that can hit jump shots outside of 15 feet? I don't know what happened to Holmes. I thought he was playing himself into a late first early second round pick early in the season, but he has fallen apart. Felix is the only guy who can knock down threes, but he's a midget who struggles with tall guards and is a joke on D.

It's time for a change. I can't name one player in the last decade that left Texas as a better offensive player than when they arrived.
Myles Turner can hit 15' jumpers. That guy should have become a college star, instead he's almost an after-thought that NBA lottery teams are still drooling over.

I hate watching Felix play. Total gunner, couldn't guard my grandma, terrible body language, and I'd imagine some of his teammates hate playing with him.

Holmes is a head case, but yeah, his season has fallen off the ledge. I just think he should be coming off the bench at this point.
SCCats wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:Archie would be interesting there. High upside, low bar set by Crean & Co. That's a really good opportunity (unlike UCLA).
Someone mentioned earlier that Shaka turned down UCLA, so they didn't expect that Shaka would take the Texas job if offered. I wonder if the reality is the Texas job right now is a better job than the UCLA job under Guerrero. For me it will be real interesting to see who grabs that UT job.
That was me.

From a low-pressure/high-paying perspective, you may be right about Texas. From a prestige, recruiting, higher ceiling perspective, it's still UCLA.

Also, Indiana can add themselves to the NC States and Marylands of the world, and go F themselves. Their wish list should look like this:

Brad Stevens

That's it. I think Indiana makes the NCAAs though, and this talk of Crean going away becomes moot.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Reydituto wrote:

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller

Given the seasons each coach's team is having, I think UT BB fans (if there are any) would be less than underwhelmed with either Boyle or Pastner.

Either one of those hires, and moreso Pastner, would be reminiscent of Sarkisian getting hired by USC. He did an okay job - but many in Huskyland were thrilled to see him go; his performance certainly did not seem to warrant a huge promotion.

That will be an interesting coaching search to watch...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Right now I feel like Pastner is unhireable at a major D1 program.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Reydituto wrote:
the real dill wrote:

Myles Turner can hit 15' jumpers. That guy should have become a college star, instead he's almost an after-thought that NBA lottery teams are still drooling over.

I hate watching Felix play. Total gunner, couldn't guard my grandma, terrible body language, and I'd imagine some of his teammates hate playing with him.

Holmes is a head case, but yeah, his season has fallen off the ledge. I just think he should be coming off the bench at this point.
SCCats wrote:
That was me.

From a low-pressure/high-paying perspective, you may be right about Texas. From a prestige, recruiting, higher ceiling perspective, it's still UCLA.

Also, Indiana can add themselves to the NC States and Marylands of the world, and go F themselves. Their wish list should look like this:

Brad Stevens

That's it. I think Indiana makes the NCAAs though, and this talk of Crean going away becomes moot.
UCLA will one day swing in the other direction, but not yet, not even close. IMO, the program is locked in the anger phase, headed into bargaining.

Stage 1 - DENIAL: We'll fire Howland and get a better coach. No way could we do worse, we're UCLA, come on down Stevens, or Shaka, Yea bitches!

Stage 2 - ANGER: Uh, Steve F'n Alford is all we could get? And we needed an enormous buyout of $10mm to land him? WHAT THE F! FIRE EVERYONE!

Stage 3 - BARGAINING: Okay, what if Alford accepts a lesser buyout and walks a way? Please? What will it take? PLEASE!!!? What do you want man??

Stage 4 - DEPRESSION: Our glory days are over...we're dead. Alford is here for at least 5 more years, and by then, who cares. I am sad. It's over.

Stage 5 - ACCEPTANCE: It is what it is, we had a great run, and who cares about basketball, we have football! I don't give a damn anymore.

When UCLA hits stage 5, it's apathy, and the program has so little downside and so much upside, that job will be huge for the coach who can see it. They can bring the prestige back and have little downside because anything is better than Alford. There likely will be a new AD, and the Howland firing will be a distant memory so it won't be tarnished within the coaching fraternity.

But after Howland's firing, the job was a mirage, and the big dogs saw it clearly. Sadly for Alford, he fell for it...

The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Texas would be smart to go back that large truck of cash and get Archie before some of the ACC schools start calling.

Looking at the list of upcoming coaches it just makes me feel that much luckier to have Miller as the coach of Arizona. It just seems like their is a drop off in quality coaches right now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What power conference jobs will even be open soon? Fsu? Georgia tech?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:What power conference jobs will even be open soon? Fsu? Georgia tech?
UCLA

;)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:What power conference jobs will even be open soon? Fsu? Georgia tech?
UCLA

;)
Heh
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

I've heard that it is basically a done deal that Shaka will replace Roy at UNC at some point.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Reydituto wrote:

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller

Given the seasons each coach's team is having, I think UT BB fans (if there are any) would be less than underwhelmed with either Boyle or Pastner.

Either one of those hires, and moreso Pastner, would be reminiscent of Sarkisian getting hired by USC. He did an okay job - but many in Huskyland were thrilled to see him go; his performance certainly did not seem to warrant a huge promotion.

I agree with all of that, my point is though that on the whole, with the recency bias of their current seasons removed, both should be considered at least semi-decent hires. Not the most exciting hires though, to be sure.
Chicat wrote:Right now I feel like Pastner is unhireable at a major D1 program.
I don't, not with his Texas (and now Memphis) recruiting connections. This has been a tough season as far as personnel, injuries, distractions, but overall I think he's done a decent job at Memphis, their expectations are just so high as a residue of the Calipari era and prior Final Fours in the 70's and 80's. Although another couple of relatively mediocre seasons like this one (17-12 [9-7]) and he's more likely to be looking for work instead of being sought out for bigger jobs.
Bosy Billups wrote:UCLA will one day swing in the other direction, but not yet, not even close. IMO, the program is locked in the anger phase, headed into bargaining.

Stage 1 - DENIAL: We'll fire Howland and get a better coach. No way could we do worse, we're UCLA, come on down Stevens, or Shaka, Yea bitches!

Stage 2 - ANGER: Uh, Steve F'n Alford is all we could get? And we needed an enormous buyout of $10mm to land him? WHAT THE F! FIRE EVERYONE!

Stage 3 - BARGAINING: Okay, what if Alford accepts a lesser buyout and walks a way? Please? What will it take? PLEASE!!!? What do you want man??

Stage 4 - DEPRESSION: Our glory days are over...we're dead. Alford is here for at least 5 more years, and by then, who cares. I am sad. It's over.

Stage 5 - ACCEPTANCE: It is what it is, we had a great run, and who cares about basketball, we have football! I don't give a damn anymore.

When UCLA hits stage 5, it's apathy, and the program has so little downside and so much upside, that job will be huge for the coach who can see it. They can bring the prestige back and have little downside because anything is better than Alford. There likely will be a new AD, and the Howland firing will be a distant memory so it won't be tarnished within the coaching fraternity.

But after Howland's firing, the job was a mirage, and the big dogs saw it clearly. Sadly for Alford, he fell for it...

I just want to say that this was a fantastic post. Well done sir.

I do think the cycle speeds up as soon as Alford is gone, as I still believe the UCLA tradition has drawing power, and the right coach will succeed there.
The Goat wrote:Texas would be smart to go back that large truck of cash and get Archie before some of the ACC schools start calling.

Looking at the list of upcoming coaches it just makes me feel that much luckier to have Miller as the coach of Arizona. It just seems like their is a drop off in quality coaches right now.
I still don't think Archie's next move is westward, even if they back up the Brinks trucks.

I do agree that the field for coaching vacancies is relatively thin this year, and it would take a very large domino to fall to change that.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Reydituto wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Reydituto wrote:

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller

I agree with all of that, my point is though that on the whole, with the recency bias of their current seasons removed, both should be considered at least semi-decent hires. Not the most exciting hires though, to be sure.
I don't, not with his Texas (and now Memphis) recruiting connections. This has been a tough season as far as personnel, injuries, distractions, but overall I think he's done a decent job at Memphis, their expectations are just so high as a residue of the Calipari era and prior Final Fours in the 70's and 80's. Although another couple of relatively mediocre seasons like this one (17-12 [9-7]) and he's more likely to be looking for work instead of being sought out for bigger jobs.
Bosy Billups wrote:UCLA will one day swing in the other direction, but not yet, not even close. IMO, the program is locked in the anger phase, headed into bargaining.

I just want to say that this was a fantastic post. Well done sir.

I do think the cycle speeds up as soon as Alford is gone, as I still believe the UCLA tradition has drawing power, and the right coach will succeed there.
The Goat wrote:Texas would be smart to go back that large truck of cash and get Archie before some of the ACC schools start calling.

I still don't think Archie's next move is westward, even if they back up the Brinks trucks.

I do agree that the field for coaching vacancies is relatively thin this year, and it would take a very large domino to fall to change that.
I'm not sure the Pastner family would get a clean slate with the Patterson regime, but they weren't welome around the 40 acres for a long time. I'm sure there are still a lot of people in Belmont that would be very resistant to doing business with them.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Archie received promotions each time he left the state of Arizona, it isn't like he took the Ohio State and Dayton jobs solely because Morgan hated the desert. Arizona is weird to everyone the first few years and usually after that you are sucked in. I think Sean and Amy went through that adjustment period but would be hard pressed to leave now.

Texas would be absolutely nuts to pass on Archie and I'd think Sean and Calipari would both tell him to take that job. It would certainly be a better landing spot than NCSU or any other ACC job not named Duke/UNC.

The problem at Texas is that Steve Patterson is a complete fucktard who has managed to piss off boosters left and right in short order. I'm not entirely sure he cares about basketball and could can easily see him retaining Barnes. Why they hired that ASU dipshit is beyond me.

Pastner isn't happening.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Reydituto wrote:
A smart AD at a place like Texas will realize that with certain things in place that program can recruit itself. So the question they should be asking themselves is, "Can this guy coach?" I would say with Pastner the jury is still out but they're leaning towards execution.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

the real dill wrote:I'm not sure the Pastner family would get a clean slate with the Patterson regime, but they weren't welome around the 40 acres for a long time. I'm sure there are still a lot of people in Belmont that would be very resistant to doing business with them.
Well said.

Yeah, there's that to be sure. Without knowing all of that "inside baseball", on the surface, doesn't Pastner seem like a good fit at UT? 37 years old, wins 72% of his games, 2 regular season conference titles and 3 conference tournament titles in his 6th year, always in the post-season (4 NCAA bids, 1 NIT, then whatever happens this year). He's a very good recruiter as well, and obviously knows the state. Would seem to tick a lot of the boxes off.

I would agree with Chicat that he may not be the best "coach" per se, and maybe that alone makes him a bad fit at UT considering that I don't think Barnes is a good "coach" either.

Maybe Buzz Peterson is in play still, not like Virginia Tech (what a strange move that was) holds any advantages over UT aside from confernece affiliation (which in their case I think is a negative).
ZONACAT wrote:Archie received promotions each time he left the state of Arizona, it isn't like he took the Ohio State and Dayton jobs solely because Morgan hated the desert. Arizona is weird to everyone the first few years and usually after that you are sucked in. I think Sean and Amy went through that adjustment period but would be hard pressed to leave now.

Texas would be absolutely nuts to pass on Archie and I'd think Sean and Calipari would both tell him to take that job. It would certainly be a better landing spot than NCSU or any other ACC job not named Duke/UNC.

The problem at Texas is that Steve Patterson is a complete fucktard who has managed to piss off boosters left and right in short order. I'm not entirely sure he cares about basketball and could can easily see him retaining Barnes. Why they hired that ASU dipshit is beyond me.

Pastner isn't happening.
I think you are underestimating the allure of staying in the East to that particular family unit. I think Sean & Amy took to Tucson better than his sibling and his in-laws.

I agree with just about everything else you said, except that I'm not convinced Archie's inner circle would advocate for that UT job like Cal did for UA. Patterson was a fucktard at ASU, which is why I thought that hiring was awful at the time.

I know Pastner isn't happening at UT, but I thought the discussion was worthy.
Chicat wrote:A smart AD at a place like Texas will realize that with certain things in place that program can recruit itself. So the question they should be asking themselves is, "Can this guy coach?" I would say with Pastner the jury is still out but they're leaning towards execution.
Sure. I'm not convinced he's a really good "Xs & Os" coach. But he's still only 37, and he's won a lot of games already. Forget the Texas gig for a moment, I don't see how he isn't a good coaching candidate for the right major conference job. Not a Top 10 program mind you, but a Top 25-30 program - even as it can be argued he's already at a Top 30 program with Memphis. This year has also been his worst year, and his team is still 17-12 with a chance at an NIT berth if they don't win the AAC tourney.

If I were him, I wouldn't leave Memphis unless the right job opened up, and would stay as long as they would have me. It's a sweet gig. But I do think he'd do well at programs like LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Oklahoma St, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee and that ilk.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

I have a hard time believing that Archie and Morgan would be adverse to living in Austin. That is a very, very short list. I am curious where Archie ends up, he will be offered jobs every spring and has already turned down Wake.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Crean got his public vote of confidence today. I bet they wait one more year, where his buyout is reduced by 5 more years, and makes it easier to make a run after Stevens
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Just is insane that Indiana fans are ok with going to the tournament two maybe 3 times in 7 years

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Nm
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (172.03 KiB) Viewed 3586 times
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Nm
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (146.06 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Nm
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (161.33 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller
No one on this list will even consider the Texas job.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

azcat34 wrote:

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64621444/
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

the real dill wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller

Really Dill? UCLA 3 spots ahead of Arizona?

Little dated: 25. UNLV Runnin' Rebels. Having Tark still attending the games
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

2013 was a lifetime ago.

Texas should try to woo Mark Gottfried.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Merkin wrote:
the real dill wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller

Really Dill? UCLA 3 spots ahead of Arizona?

Little dated: 25. UNLV Runnin' Rebels. Having Tark still attending the games
For the record, I think Texas is closer to 15 than 7, but unlimited resources, a new arena is being built, second to none weight and practice facility, and a fertile recruiting base is nothing to blink at. I don't think Texas will try to money whip a candidate, but $3.5 to $4M would be no problem with the BOR. It's not like I'm suggesting Cal, Self, or big Miller.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Texas shouldn't have any trouble getting whoever the hell they want.

Unlimited money and resources, excellent academics, incredible sports tradition, access to recruits, phenomenal weather and an awesome city to live in, and besides Kansas, not too much to compete with in conference.

The sky is the limit with Texas. Rick Barnes was a below average coach. The right guy in this position would own the region for a very long time.

EDIT: And as bad as Texas has been for the past decade... They still are one of the most profitable basketball programs in the country. Not far behind Arizona. Imagine what they would do with the right coach.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Howland wanted to leave UCLA for DePaul??

:lol:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So in 2010, just two years removed from back to back to back final fours and conference titles...Howland and DePaul had mutual interest?

Imagine Miller talking to Mississippi state or Florida state about their basketball jobs right now.

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

the real dill wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller
Texas has resources, but basketball guys don't like to be the afterthought to football.

Shaka is a pipe dream, waiting for LVille/UF/perhaps UNC.

Wright is beloved at Nova, turned down tons of great jobs -- no chance he punts it all for Texas.

Larry K could potentially listen I guess, but Utah has actually had a decent basketball past and now that they are in the Pac-12 they are on pretty stable ground. Don't think Texas is the job that pulls him away.

Archie no way, will be able to go pretty much anywhere after what he's done at Dayton. Don't see him at a football-first school.

Gregg Marshall is tough to figure, he could take the jump with a lot of his team leaving after this year. I would say out of this list this is by far Texas' best shot. Could be time for him to take the jump.

Overall though it is very hard to pry coaches away anymore, I don't think anyone on this list is Texas' next coach and wouldn't even surprise me if Barnes is back. Texas is pretty apathetic to basketball, so I don't see them urgent to replace Barnes.
Salty

Post by Salty »

azcat34 wrote:
the real dill wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

My early wish list:

Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Larry Krystkowiak
Archie Miller
Texas has resources, but basketball guys don't like to be the afterthought to football.

Shaka is a pipe dream, waiting for LVille/UF/perhaps UNC.

Wright is beloved at Nova, turned down tons of great jobs -- no chance he punts it all for Texas.

Larry K could potentially listen I guess, but Utah has actually had a decent basketball past and now that they are in the Pac-12 they are on pretty stable ground. Don't think Texas is the job that pulls him away.

Archie no way, will be able to go pretty much anywhere after what he's done at Dayton. Don't see him at a football-first school.

Gregg Marshall is tough to figure, he could take the jump with a lot of his team leaving after this year. I would say out of this list this is by far Texas' best shot. Could be time for him to take the jump.

Overall though it is very hard to pry coaches away anymore, I don't think anyone on this list is Texas' next coach and wouldn't even surprise me if Barnes is back. Texas is pretty apathetic to basketball, so I don't see them urgent to replace Barnes.
Texas could easily get almost anyone they want...

There's no expectations there, tons of money and resources, and it's in one of the best cities in the country.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Could doesn't mean will. They won't get anyone they want.

Salty

Post by Salty »

ASUHATER! wrote:Could doesn't mean will. They won't get anyone they want.
They could easily double the salary of any of the five guys Dill mentioned.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Could . . . but I highly doubt they will. It's just not that important to them from a revenue standpoint.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Howland wanted to leave UCLA for DePaul??

He was exploring it when things were headed south for him at UCLA.

But since he's going to settle for UNLV now, lol @ Ben Howland
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote: Howland wanted to leave UCLA for DePaul??

He was exploring it when things were headed south for him at UCLA.

But since he's going to settle for UNLV now, lol @ Ben Howland
It makes some sense since he was coming off a losing season, but less sense with a top-10 recruiting class coming in, and even less sense when you consider that he was GOING TO LEAVE UCLA FOR DEPAUL!

If that isn't an indictment of the culture surrounding UCLA basketball for years now, I don't know what is...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Salty wrote:
Texas could easily get almost anyone they want...

There's no expectations there, tons of money and resources, and it's in one of the best cities in the country.
You would think the same about UCLA.