CalStateTempe

Re: Ivan Rabb

Post by CalStateTempe »

"thats a great question."
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

97cats wrote:patience
Been wondering when we might see a word from you. Not exactly "Arizona is right where it wants to be with...", but...OK. :D
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

Monty Python and the Meaning of Life:

GRIM REAPER: "Shut up! Shut up, you American. You always talk, you Americans. You talk and you talk and say 'let me tell you something' and 'I just wanna say this'. Well, you're dead now, so shut up!"
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:"thats a great question."
"What keeps you up at night?"

"From a 30,000 foot level.."

and my personal favorite...

"We need a paradigm shift...."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

A few of my MBA speak favorites:

"Lets keep this in the trust tree" (between you and me)
"build your brand"
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Regardless of Rabb...

I am so pumped for next season, the next Miller era of Arizona.

It will be sad to see his first core team leave after this season, but it will be on to the next era, with a ton of young talent, and a new look.

Enjoy each and every game of this year's squad, you will look back at these days fondly and wish you could go back.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:Cal is not that far removed from the Todd Bozeman days...lest they not forget. Cal basketball is what it is, and was what it was...
If you hadn't have made this reference, I would have, Roosevelt E. Roosevelt.

Those complaining fans apparently have whitewashed the whole Lou Campanelli/Bozeman transition.

Basically, in the school's rush to field a team good enough to beat Duke once and stock the program with mental giants such as Fresno State wannabes Tremaine Fowlkes, Jelani Gardner and future Kansas transfer Jerod Haase, Cal allowed Jason Kidd to decide if the sky was blue in that program and let Bozeman lose control of it in short order.

Or does nobody remember one of Campanelli's last games as a coach, where Kidd basically went in the tank in Tucson just because he couldn't stand playing for him anymore?

Get an education on the history of your basketball program, Calfan. Sonny Dykes is keeping them in line academically in football about as well as Mike Leach.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Pop McKale wrote:
97cats wrote:patience
Been wondering when we might see a word from you. Not exactly "Arizona is right where it wants to be with...", but...OK. :D

I'll take it. ;)

Maybe there's an Arizona lean after the Cal game perhaps?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

CBCat wrote:When was the last time a kid who is potentially the #1 High School Recruit in the entire U.S.A. went to his "hometown" school to play when said school is not an upper tier basketball school/questionable if can even make the NCAA Tourney let alone vie for Conference Championships and the like. Wouldn't going to Cal for Rabb essentially leave money on the table when he does go pro or is there a Rookie max that he would without a doubt get?
Er, LSU isn't exactly his home school, which perhaps makes Ben Simmons's decision even more strange.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

"I was just trying to be aggressive."
"Honor the process."
"Conference of Champions."
"I know it's cliche, but ..."

(This is why it cracks me up that players like Marshawn Lynch are fined for not "doing media." As if uttering cliches is any more informative.)
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Any word on when he's announcing?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Probably not another two months
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:Any word on when he's announcing?
Spring. In his case, it wouldn't make any sense to announce earlier.

By the way, you can see what I meant about Cal being behind. That's the only school he could commit to earlier, and his refusal to do so deprives Cal of a centerpiece to build around as they miss out on recruits.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

97 cats is free
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

rgdeuce wrote:97 cats is free
And worth every penny.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It's not worth worrying about Rabb.

Either he's a guy who just wants to put up big numbers on a mediocre team for a year (Cal)

or he wants to win, be coached and challenged by a future HOF coach and wants to be part of something bigger. (AZ)
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I think the biggest thing with Rabb for me is (and not that we need it): It's another guy we beat Kentucky on; and it's another top 10 guy and solidifies us as having the best class (or at worst, 2nd best, dependant on who kentucky signs late).
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

Rabb loves Arizona and wants to play for Arizona, several influential people in his life want him to play for Cal. We should know around April 1st what his decision is but Arizona is right in the mix and likely at the top for him personally. Does not mean we will get him but from what I hear it is what is in his heart.

There are at least 6 other quality bigs that Miller has looked at if we dont get Rabb, and Stainbrook from Xavier could be one of them, long shot but it is on the table.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ButtonSalmon wrote:Rabb loves Arizona and wants to play for Arizona, several influential people in his life want him to play for Cal. We should know around April 1st what his decision is but Arizona is right in the mix and likely at the top for him personally. Does not mean we will get him but from what I hear it is what is in his heart.

There are at least 6 other quality bigs that Miller has looked at if we dont get Rabb, and Stainbrook from Xavier could be one of them, long shot but it is on the table.
How could Stainbrook be one of them when he's out of eligibility after this season?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LOL... awkward
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I will never get the "player x wants a, but parents/friends/mentors want b". Especially regarding arizona vs cal.

Should be a no brained for all parties considering they all want the same thing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:I will never get the "player x wants a, but parents/friends/mentors want b". Especially regarding arizona vs cal.

Should be a no brained for all parties considering they all want the same thing.

I can see marginal basketball players who actually need a career outside of basketball, then academics plays a real key.

But Rabb won't have that issue, so the only path that matters is the quickest one to the NBA and that's Arizona or other elite schools, not Cal.
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ButtonSalmon wrote:Rabb loves Arizona and wants to play for Arizona, several influential people in his life want him to play for Cal. We should know around April 1st what his decision is but Arizona is right in the mix and likely at the top for him personally. Does not mean we will get him but from what I hear it is what is in his heart.

How could Stainbrook be one of them when he's out of eligibility after this season?
Yea we cleared that up in another thread, ESPN is only showing stats from three years back to make it appear he has another year left, however there was a big discussion on another site that he had reached out to Arizona about wanting to play here so I was just passing that along. I don't know where they got that from but the person who said it is most definitely someone who always has very good inside stuff, but he must have erred on that one.

In any case the Rabb stuff is true, he does in fact really like Arizona but is being pressured to go to Cal.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I will never get the "player x wants a, but parents/friends/mentors want b". Especially regarding arizona vs cal.

I can see marginal basketball players who actually need a career outside of basketball, then academics plays a real key.

But Rabb won't have that issue, so the only path that matters is the quickest one to the NBA and that's Arizona or other elite schools, not Cal.
Not like Rabb is going to Stanford.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ZONACAT wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Not like Rabb is going to Stanford.
Not sure today, but as of 5 or so years ago Cal was actually the more difficult school to get into. Not for scholarship athletes, but for the general student population.

It does not matter either way... academic reputation is not even an afterthought for a one-and-done prospect.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Stainbrook's got boobs anyway
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Sounds like an announcement is coming soon:

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Bi ... 161946.php

Evan Daniels doesn't paint a rosy picture for Arizona though.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

nice that he's planning on announcing quietly, rather than going the presser or hat ceremony route
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Is Scheer talking about Rabb?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We don't lose too many recruits that are seen as must haves. Hats off to Cal and Cuonzo if that's indeed what happened. Can't wait to beat them two or three times next year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Alieberman wrote: Is Scheer talking about Rabb?
Stupid thing to tweet if that is in response to learning that we are not getting Rabb.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/15319 ... ign=buffer

Rabb has said multiple times that he has the best relationship with the California coaching staff. Heading into the final days, sources say they are the clear front runner
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

I really hope not, that would be a really bad look for him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sean Elliott turned out fine staying home.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Merkin wrote:Sean Elliott turned out fine staying home.
Different era. Staying home for 4 years is one thing. Staying home for your 1 year pit stop at a program that is whatever is another.

Time to go hunting for a graduate transfer.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I suppose it's because Arizona won last night & thus, I'm high as a kite (that rhymes) -

but Ivan is the first really big name recruit I can think of where I won't mind if he goes elsewhere even a little bit.

Miller & UofA aren't going to grab 100% so - so be it (i'm just spewing rhymes now).
So good luck if you choose Cal my man.

Arizona is a freight train. With or without Ivan Rabb, who can complain?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wasn't Rabb waiting on the Ashley decision? With BAsh off the draft charts maybe Brandon changed his mind about leaving. Same with Zeus going tail of the 2nd round.

Going to be a pretty crowded frontcourt if one or both stay. Already have Ristic/Anderson/Commanche for next year if they do leave.

In any event, if he stays in the PAC might as well go to someone we can beat down with or without him.
Last edited by Merkin on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Good luck to the kid if he chooses Cal and a great start for Martin. Maybe he could be their Sean Elliott. In any event I think we will be fine. Some kids just like to be close to home I guess.

We don't lose many of these battles but I would galdly trade this announcment (when it is made and if it is so) for a win tommorrow
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

How can you be the savior of a program if you are only there for one year? What a joke.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Stupid thing to tweet if that is in response to learning that we are not getting Rabb.
I think it's a legit question. If a kid is one and done and can't bear to be away from home that one year, what about the next one when he declares for the NBA? Is he going to demand a trade to the Warriors?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

See ya rabb, maybe you'll stop carrying your mom's purse in college.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm OK with it. Kid is still a teen, and close to his mom. It's not like he is going to be living at home, and this way his mom can see him play half the time in person.

Good transition for him staying in the dorms but still being close enough he can go home some weekends.

Withey was much worse, or at least his mom was.

Just as long as it's not UCLA.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This means that nobody but Cal ever really had a chance. Even when Rabb didn't know it yet, he was never going to choose a program. He was going to choose to stay home.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Is any of this official?

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:Is any of this official?

Waiting for 97Cats to chime in, but Scheer apparently thinks so.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Can't blame the kid if he wants to stay home I guess. We'll be fine, especially if Tarc or Ashley return. Still have Anderson and Allen off redshirt and a top 5 class either way. I guess he just wants to stay home and be "the man" on a 21-10 team that's a 9 seed in the tournament than be a part of probably another conference title winning deep tournament run team.