Josh Jackson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

enfuego

Re: Josh Jackson

Post by enfuego »

Longhorned wrote:
HiCat wrote:Arizona's cast won't be too shabby either.

The difference is up to JJ to decide eh 8-)
Another difference is that Arizona's class is great regardless. So is MSU's, if you believe (as I do) that Cassius Winston is underrated. Kansas has to get Jackson. If they do, they go from mediocre to having that best-player-on-the-floor asset that's invaluable for a deep tourney run.
Let's look at next year's rosters and assume neither team adds another commitment in 2016:

Smalls
Graham, Mason, Svi, Vick > PJC (all 5'4 of him), Allen (2014/2015 best redshirt practice player at AZ of all time, 2015/2016 average player of all time), Simmons, Alkins, Smith.

Lucas, Bragg, Azubuike, Lightfoot, Coleby > Dustin Ristic, Markkaken (KU legacy), Comanche, Some walk on

If Kansas's team next year is "mediocre" by your standards, then Arizona's team is worse than "mediocre".

My opinion is Arizona will be a sweet 16 caliber team next year, whereas, after we add Jackson and potentially one more big (I'm holding out for Allen out of Texas), Kansas will be a title contender.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What's the deal with JJ's mom and Kansas? Did she go there or something?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

JJs mom played miles away from the KU campus at Allen county CC, she's obviously pushing him to go there. Gasp, allonzo trier wears #11, Josh Jackson also wears #11, Josh isnt come here folks. Notice how in every interview he says K & U just a little bit louder, also RCJ+H are more audible & clear.
Beermancats

Post by Beermancats »

enfuego wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Another difference is that Arizona's class is great regardless. So is MSU's, if you believe (as I do) that Cassius Winston is underrated. Kansas has to get Jackson. If they do, they go from mediocre to having that best-player-on-the-floor asset that's invaluable for a deep tourney run.
Let's look at next year's rosters and assume neither team adds another commitment in 2016:

Smalls
Graham, Mason, Svi, Vick > PJC (all 5'4 of him), Allen (2014/2015 best redshirt practice player at AZ of all time, 2015/2016 average player of all time), Simmons, Alkins, Smith.

Lucas, Bragg, Azubuike, Lightfoot, Coleby > Dustin Ristic, Markkaken (KU legacy), Comanche, Some walk on

If Kansas's team next year is "mediocre" by your standards, then Arizona's team is worse than "mediocre".

My opinion is Arizona will be a sweet 16 caliber team next year, whereas, after we add Jackson and potentially one more big (I'm holding out for Allen out of Texas), Kansas will be a title contender.
First of all, you left Trier out of this, who might be the best pro prospect at the guard position on either team. Second, Smith at 6-8, is not a "small". Additionally, you should have put an 'if' before "we land Jackson". Also, you didn't include the possibility of Arizona landing TFerg.

Arizona vs Kansas with neither team adding any more pieces would be a great game IMO.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I like Kansas' big guys however, never know if the game will be too fast/tough for the Euros and how they will adjust (or how long) to a different game from Europe. Also more depth.

KU is probably top 10 without Jackson, with Jackson they are #3.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

enfuego wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Smalls

If Kansas gets Jackson, it will be a top-10 team and a threat for a deep run.

If Arizona doesn't get Jackson, it still gets Ferguson to go with Simmons, Alkins, Smith, and Markannen. And Trier is returning. Of course you think Arizona will be only like a top-15 team. And of course you want to talk about 3-star Mitch Lightfoot and Arizona's bench players.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There's nothing about Kansas's post players that make them > Arizona's post players on paper. Now KU's point guard play on the other hand...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote:What's the deal with JJ's mom and Kansas? Did she go there or something?

I don't have premium over at Wildcat Sports Report, but in a recent premium post by Brad Allis you can hover over it and see the first sentence,
and he says word is that Josh and his mom don't agree on his choice.

Arizona (and MSU) still in the hunt maybe?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

His mom did play basketball in a community college down the road from Lawrence, so she might actually be pushing him to KU. Jackson did confirm in an interview that he and his "camp" did disagree on the college choice but now are on the same page.

The question is did JJ or his camp concede, and was it between MSU & Kansas like in the original commitment on a Thursday rumors, which turned out to be true. [Thursday near commitment was true, but the difference of opinion on here JJ goes was that JJ wanted to go to MSU, but his mom wanted him to go to Kansas]

Or did he misdirect two programs and and chose Arizona. Apparently Miller still thinks he has a chance (unlike with Rabb where he knew he was going Cal) with JJ, so does Izzo.

So a couple possibilities exist:
  • 1 -- An Andrew Wiggins recruitment like scenario where everyone was surprised he went to Kansas, even Bill Self. No one knew his choice but him.
  • 2 -- a Harrison Barnes recruitment, where he fed a bunch of lies to Coach K and Duke people, making them think he was going there.
  • 3 -- since he decided, he already told Self, not the other two
Since he has this really close relationship with Miller, I would hope he would tell him if it was really between KU & Sparty (this late in the game). I still think he goes Kansas, just because I don't want a let down.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

NYCat wrote:His mom did play basketball in a community college down the road from Lawrence, so she might actually be pushing him to KU. Jackson did confirm in an interview that he and his "camp" did disagree on the college choice but now are on the same page.

Every recruitment is about disagreement until a decision is made and concurrence is achieved. Saying that someone was "forcing" a kid to go to a school that he doesn't want to go to is disingenuous and smacks of sour grapes. That's loser talk man. Loser talk.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
gumby

Post by gumby »

Clutch back nine for Jordan Self.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

enfuego wrote:
NYCat wrote:His mom did play basketball in a community college down the road from Lawrence, so she might actually be pushing him to KU. Jackson did confirm in an interview that he and his "camp" did disagree on the college choice but now are on the same page.

Every recruitment is about disagreement until a decision is made and concurrence is achieved. Saying that someone was "forcing" a kid to go to a school that he doesn't want to go to is disingenuous and smacks of sour grapes. That's loser talk man. Loser talk.
It may be loser talk for disappointed fans but in the world of elite recruiting, it's my understanding that programs over the years (Arizona and Kansas included) have had a number of top-level recruits who didn't choose to the school they play for. They may grow to love it, but it isn't their choice.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

enfuego wrote:
That's what MSU fans are saying and of course they have deep sea levels of salt.

Anyway, the fact that miles Bridges knows and was dismissive (an afterthought) of Arizona when asked about Jackson's decision during the McDs AA game is worrying however. Did make it seem like it's between KU & MSU.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

At the end of the day most of this is just nonsensical silliness. All the way from this insulting make-believe student athlete mirage that people cling too, all the way down to a meddling over bearing parent who wants to be center of attention and decide where their little snowflake kid will go for his 5 minutes of fame on a college campus.

Any program be it UNC, UofA, Kansas or MSU are just a useful ends to a means for these kids, who by all accounts are just going to take a few basket weaving classes imitating a actual academic environment as a student, while playing some sporting event waiting to hit the road.

Both JJ and TF are just a quick in and out pit-stop wherever they go. If they weren't limited by stupid laws and crony financially motivated monopolies from the NCAA to the NBA neither one of these kids would even mention the name or grace the campus of a college.

I guess I'm just not impressed with the modern rent an athlete paradigm.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:At the end of the day most of this is just nonsensical silliness. All the way from this insulting make-believe student athlete mirage that people cling too, all the way down to a meddling over bearing parent who wants to be center of attention and decide where their little snowflake kid will go for his 5 minutes of fame on a college campus.

Any program be it UNC, UofA, Kansas or MSU are just a useful ends to a means for these kids, who by all accounts are just going to take a few basket weaving classes imitating a actual academic environment as a student, while playing some sporting event waiting to hit the road.

Both JJ and TF are just a quick in and out pit-stop wherever they go. If they weren't limited by stupid laws and crony financially motivated monopolies from the NCAA to the NBA neither one of these kids would even mention the name or grace the campus of a college.

Of course he's gone after a year, but he and his mom do appear to value an education. [url=hhttp://usatodayhss.com/2016/josh-jackson-wont-play-in-the-jordan-brand-classic]He skipped on the Jordan Brand Classic because he was going to miss too many classes[/url]
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:
I defer to your expertise in loser talk.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Nicole Auerbach, USA TODAY Sports, national college basketball writer

Though Josh Jackson said this weekend he knows where he’ll go, a lot of principal players in his recruitment aren’t sure. So while I wouldn’t be shocked if he announces for Michigan State or Arizona, I lean Kansas, a guess boosted by Wayne Selden’s departure. And if he does announce via Twitter, it’ll be reminiscent of how the Jayhawks coaching staff found it won the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes a few years ago. Prediction: Kansas

Evan Daniels, Scout.com, national recruiting director

If I were going to take a stab at where Josh Jackson is going to play his college basketball, I’d go with Kansas. I should add that I don’t have any concrete information that leads me to believe that’s where he’s definitely going, but Kansas is certainly getting the major buzz heading down the stretch. Truth be told, I don’t know if anyone outside his mom and inner circle knows where he’s going. So while I’ll go with Kansas, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him pick Arizona or Michigan State either. Prediction: Kansas

Joe Rexrode, Detroit Free Press, Michigan State beat writer

I should predict Arizona, because that’s the only thing I can’t see Jackson saying when he finally utters his choice. And I’m not very good at predicting these things. I’ve heard compelling reasons in the past few weeks for both Michigan State and Kansas. I believe that at one point he was set, or close to set, on MSU. But I am going with Kansas, the choice that will please his mother. Prediction: Kansas

Reggie Rankin, ESPN.com, recruiting director
Kansas is my pick. I think he likes the small forward careers of Andrew Wiggins and how well Wayne Selden has progressed.” Prediction: Kansas

Bruce Pascoe, Arizona Daily Star, Arizona beat writer

This has been a fascinating recruitment. For a while I wouldn’t have been surprised if he didn’t go anywhere — just worked out, signed shoe/card deals and hired trainers to get him ready for the 2017 draft. Or if he played overseas somewhere. His mom is not wild about the NCAA but Josh says he wants the college experience. I think much as he likes Sean Miller from their shared USA Basketball experience, I’d guess Kansas is the choice. But it’s high-level recruiting, so you never know, and particularly in this case because his mom has kept a pretty tight lid on what’s happening. She’s uniquely involved and knowledgable about the process, having played at UTEP and served in the Navy. Sent him to an academic-minded high school in Napa, of all places. She is a very no-nonsense person who isn’t relying on outside mentors or other coaches here. Prediction: Kansas

Jesse Newell, Kansas City Star, Kansas beat writer

It appeared Josh Jackson was prepared to commit to Kansas a few weeks ago before delaying his decision. I think the pick will still be KU this week, with Wayne Selden’s NBA announcement officially clearing the path for a starting spot and 30-plus minutes per game. Prediction: Kansas

A bunch of other national guys like, Goodman, borzello, biancardi, rothstein, Meyer and others also have picked Kansas. Also the MSU beat writer said 'KU to please his mother'
Last edited by NYCat on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

:lol:

So six experts make their calls today and it's 6/6 Kansas.

Ok then.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

SCCats wrote::lol:

Ok then.
What do I win?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Weird. Kansas offers less to JJ than AZ.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Ok then.
I can't know if it's true, but I heard from a reliable source that's there's reason to believe it's Kansas, and not just amorphous "buzz." Since I don't know what the reason is, I have to stick what with what I can know, which in my best guess continues to point to Arizona.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

enfuego wrote:

Ok then.
What do I win?
A round of 32 game.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Either everyone is picking Kansas because everyone else is picking Kansas, or some at least know it's Kansas for reasons they can't say.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Longhorned wrote:Either everyone is picking Kansas because everyone else is picking Kansas, or some at least know it's Kansas for reasons they can't say.
You're precious.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

enfuego wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Either everyone is picking Kansas because everyone else is picking Kansas, or some at least know it's Kansas for reasons they can't say.
You're precious.
Mmmmmm. You're delicious.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Gladiator Cat wrote:At the end of the day most of this is just nonsensical silliness. All the way from this insulting make-believe student athlete mirage that people cling too, all the way down to a meddling over bearing parent who wants to be center of attention and decide where their little snowflake kid will go for his 5 minutes of fame on a college campus.

I couldn't agree more.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BearDown89 wrote:

I couldn't agree more.
1-year rule. Without the NBA changing it, nobody knows how to solve. I'd like to see the pro talent go to the NBA and have every other player stay in college 3 years minimum, and finish their degrees as pros if they go that route.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

May I have the envelope please. :?:

drum roll...
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Kurtis Townsend never gets out-bid.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

enfuego wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Smalls

That's an extremely mediocre Kansas team. No Embiid to go with the Wiggins you'll get with JJ
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:May I have the envelope please. :?:

drum roll...
HC, I think you're just ready for this to be over with, aren't you. So we can turn the page and re-file this thread in the Arch Rivals forum.

Well, here's hoping AZ has a better season than KU next year.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
HiCat wrote:May I have the envelope please. :?:

drum roll...
HC, I think you're just ready for this to be over with, aren't you. So we can turn the page and re-file this thread in the Arch Rivals forum.

Well, here's hoping AZ has a better season than KU next year.

You got it B. Time for another cup of Java, and my TF mantra.8-)
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Should we start taking bets on what time this happens?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

billk78 wrote:Should we start taking bets on what time this happens?
Three fiddy.

I'll be glad when JJ and TF announce and we can actually get past the fretting about what it will be, get our roster in place and move forward. Worrying about the latest tweet of a 17 year old is easily the worst place to be in on a message board. That, or losing to ASU.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I'll set the over/under at 3:29 PM ET
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The thing that's strange is that when a prospect has informed his also rans where he's going, it usually gets out that so and so program is no longer recruiting so and so prospect. We've heard nothing to this effect about JJ and AZ, or MSU for that matter.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He was apparently going to commit to Kansas the week before the McDs AA game, and he later said he'd already decided but chose to delay so family/friends could be there. Safe to assume people are going off that. If you go by that/believe that; he's already decided and not changing his mind so why would a couple weeks delay change his pick of KU.

Everyone seems to be making at best educated guesses, because the inner circle lets few info out. But everyone seems confident he goes to Kansas, in which they're either right or everyone is being misdirected.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Still think it's strange we haven't seen the "AZ is no longer recruiting Josh Jackson" tweets.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Still think it's strange we haven't seen the "AZ is no longer recruiting Josh Jackson" tweets.
Probably because we are.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Still think it's strange we haven't seen the "AZ is no longer recruiting Josh Jackson" tweets.
Probably because we are.
Which means that JJ hasn't informed Miller or Izzo that he's going to KU.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I mean it's a technicality, but he already decided so either we got him or we're out. No in between. And since anyone but him and probably his mom know, of course all 3 feel they're in it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

NYCat wrote:I mean it's a technicality, but he already decided so either we got him or we're out. No in between. And since anyone but him and probably his mom know, of course all 3 feel they're in it.
He may choose Kansas like everyone expects, but I doubt it's true that he already finalized the decision back when he said he did.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

KU Recruiting News ‏@KUHawkRecruit 3m3 minutes ago
Could be minutes away from a Josh Jackson announcement & all of a sudden I don't have a good feeling about it. #RockChalk
1 retweet 7 likes
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Sounds like he will decide today, his gf (I know I know) tweeted this
billk78

Post by billk78 »

NYCat wrote:Sounds like he will decide today, his gf (I know I know) tweeted this
The Arizona one is the biggest so that must mean he's coming here!!
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Longhorned wrote: 1-year rule. Without the NBA changing it, nobody knows how to solve. I'd like to see the pro talent go to the NBA and have every other player stay in college 3 years minimum, and finish their degrees as pros if they go that route.
Amen, brother.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

billk78 wrote:KU Recruiting News ‏@KUHawkRecruit 3m3 minutes ago
Could be minutes away from a Josh Jackson announcement & all of a sudden I don't have a good feeling about it. #RockChalk
1 retweet 7 likes
KU Recruiting News ‏@KUHawkRecruit 9m9 minutes ago

@therealtbanks Just a gut feeling! No sources or anything telling me, just my thoughts.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

84Cat wrote:
1 retweet 7 likes

@therealtbanks Just a gut feeling! No sources or anything telling me, just my thoughts.
I like seeing them sweat though
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:
1 retweet 7 likes

Right now, everyone is freaking out.