Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Sean Miller

Post by PHXCATS »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Completely baffled by the fanbase here...on the road against the highest ranking Pac 12 team on their court we force them to overtime and they win by 1 point and people are crying about all our future losses in the NCAA tourney...what a bunch of pussys.

Every team out there except one will have losses in the NCAA tourney...EVERY.DAMN.TEAM.

Duke had a loss last year and the year before.
Kansas had a loss now for several years.
Kentucky has lost many times.
Oregon has always lost a game or even failed to show up except in 1939, THATS ALL ON ALTMAN.
ASU has lost or failed to show up EVERY year in the tourney.
The great John Wooden had plenty of losses in the NCAA tournament...

So people bitching about future loses in the tourney are not being very realistic.

On my best most rational day I hope for a split on ALL the road trips in the Pac 12 this year...

To walk out of Eugene with a 1 point loss is painful, but it is not unexpected, what was unexpected was how much we dominated in the the game and how close we really were to winning...AT EUGENE.

Get a grip. Its a marathon not a sprint.

Our Kenpom actually went up.
Just last year due to recruits bailing and injuries we had a bad year, this year we're back and have been back since Miller got here.
Every team we lost to except one is a top ten team today
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:Completely baffled by the fanbase here...on the road against the highest ranking Pac 12 team on their court we force them to overtime and they win by 1 point and people are crying about all our future losses in the NCAA tourney...what a bunch of pussys.

Every team out there except one will have losses in the NCAA tourney...EVERY.DAMN.TEAM.

Oregon has always lost a game or even failed to show up except in 1939, THATS ALL ON ALTMAN.

So people bitching about future loses in the tourney are not being very realistic.

On my best most rational day I hope for a split on ALL the road trips in the Pac 12 this year...

To walk out of Eugene with a 1 point loss is painful, but it is not unexpected, what was unexpected was how much we dominated in the the game and how close we really were to winning...AT EUGENE.

Just last year due to recruits bailing and injuries we had a bad year, this year we're back and have been back since Miller got here.
In our four losses, three are top 10 teams, two were true road games and those 3 losses are by a combined 10 points.

Like I said elsewhere, we've shown we can play with anyone, anywhere. That doesn't mean there isn't improvement we will hopefully be making, but it shows all the positives about this year. St. John's is truly our only disappointment.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

ASUHATER! wrote:

We're not back when we literally lose every important game we've played in the last several seasons
Ummm even having important games means we're back...its not like last year when we HOPED to finish above .500 in the Pac (which was down)...

The fact that people have their panties in a wad over a 1 point loss and losing to top 10 teams with three freshmen just tells me how disconnected some of you are from actual college basketball.

Like others have said lots of coaches have teams that choke until they don't...Mark few is now considered a god around here, but no one remembers his record of not making it or losing...THATS the way it works...people only fuss when you lose if they expect you to win and no one expects a team to win that is not "back".
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

That Oregon team ain’t shit. They’re a senior point guard and some other dudes.

For reference here’s what a good Oregon lineup looks like (2015)-Brooks, Dorsey, Bell, Boucher, Ennis, Benjamin...etc.

I’m done with excuses. This team was supposed to compete for a final four.

They better.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Just for reference:

Coaches who started in 89-90
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

SCCats wrote:That Oregon team ain’t shit. They’re a senior point guard and some other dudes.

For reference here’s what a good Oregon lineup looks like (2015)-Brooks, Dorsey, Bell, Boucher, Ennis, Benjamin...etc.

They better.
A-freaking-men, brother.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

SCCats wrote:That Oregon team ain’t shit. They’re a senior point guard and some other dudes.

They better.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Oregon’s recruiting class ranked higher than ours?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

They better.
Oregon brought in a McD's AA, has back to back top five recruiting classes, has like 5-6 top fifty guys and also brought in the #1 JC player in the nation. This Oregon team has just as good a pedigree as any prior Oregon teams and better than some. They're a top ten team for a reason.

Also, you can lose a conference road game by 1 in OT vs a top ten team and still make a final four.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:

They better.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Oregon’s recruiting class ranked higher than ours?
Don't inject logic.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

They better.

You can have your opinion, but you can't make up your own facts. Be careful, there are a lot of sharp guys on this forum that follow more than one team. Oregon is stacked. Keep putting weak takes like that out there, and you're going to feel like JFK in Dealey Plaza.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

This is my haven for rational discussion after losses.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

From the graphic they showed last night (on ESPN of all places) showing the top coaches first ten year records in the schools they coached at:

John Calipari 30.5 at UK
Bill Self 30.0 at Kansas
Roy Williams 28.2 at Kansas
Roy Williams 28.2 at UNC
Sean Miller 26.4 at UA

Sean took over at UofA after Krusty the Clown O'Neil and Russ Pennell who couldn't recruit a donut for a policeman's breakfast...

Sean took over an abysmal situation and within a few short years has raised the expectations here until a 1 point loss on the road against a top 10 team is considered a fireable offense...but no one actually looks at the data...the hard cold reality of what he has accomplished...

John Calipari went to fucking UK where they had a recruiting powerhouse already in place...
Same could be said for Bill Self or Roy...those guys did not take over dying programs like Miller did.

Millers biggest problem has always been raising expectations in a game of chance.
Last edited by CatFanOneMil on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:

We're not back when we literally lose every important game we've played in the last several seasons
Can you please give us the definition of a big game?

Because personally I believe PAC-12 tournament games are bigger than some Oregon game in January or St John's on a neutral court in December. But I must be wrong/
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

In our four losses, three are top 10 teams, two were true road games and those 3 losses are by a combined 10 points.

Like I said elsewhere, we've shown we can play with anyone, anywhere. That doesn't mean there isn't improvement we will hopefully be making, but it shows all the positives about this year. St. John's is truly our only disappointment.

Watching the game last night, it seemed to me like most of the errors that were made were self inflicted and NOT based on talent or coaching ability. It was unforced errors, missed free throws and just not hustling quite enough. All of those things are correctable and all of those will happen far less often with experience. Still have two months until Vegas to put it together.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Watching the game last night, it seemed to me like most of the errors that were made were self inflicted and NOT based on talent or coaching ability. It was unforced errors, missed free throws and just not hustling quite enough. All of those things are correctable and all of those will happen far less often with experience. Still have two months until Vegas to put it together.
Yeah, although 12 TO's in an overtime game isn't bad.

Respect to Oregon, too. They put up only 10 turnovers qnd made ft's. They are a good team.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone on social media with fans calling for Miller’s job. The only thing worse than having a discussion with someone who knows nothing about basketball is having a discussion with someone who knows nothing about basketball but thinks they know a lot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills that people are legit mad about anything than the ultimate loss.

We came out prepared and aggressive. We didn't turn it over much, shot it well and fought hard the whole game. We've shown we aren't a weak rebounding team any more. Nnaji was a beast on the glass.

I see so many positives and people seem so unhappy. This isn't CFB, where one loss dooms your playoff chances.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Like I said earlier, it took a perfect storm for Oregon to get to OT and win in OT

Missed FTs by UA
Unforced errors
Missed open shots by UA
Well contested shots for Oregon going in
Refs blowing two calls (should not have come to that but still they did)

All of this on the road to a top 10 team. If you are taking this game as a negative for the team long term you dont understand sports.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

The homerism is so nauseating. Impossible to argue with faith so I won't bother. I'll just pretend the next choke job is an isolated event like everyone else. DWWD!
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Why was Nico inbounding the ball on final play?

The PF almost always does that.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

TatetheGreat wrote:The homerism is so nauseating. Impossible to argue with faith so I won't bother. I'll just pretend the next choke job is an isolated event like everyone else. DWWD!
You spelled realism wrong.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:Why was Nico inbounding the ball on final play?

The PF almost always does that.
From under their basket? No. Typically you want your best passer inbounding the ball when a precision pass is required for a last second play, but alas...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TatetheGreat wrote:The homerism is so nauseating. Impossible to argue with faith so I won't bother. I'll just pretend the next choke job is an isolated event like everyone else. DWWD!
Given that you're named after Khalil Tate, it's like this.

A choke job is losing a big late lead at home vs a meh ASU team to miss a bowl game. Losing a one point OT road game vs a top ten team is not a choke job.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

RawleArenas wrote:

They better.

You can have your opinion, but you can't make up your own facts. Be careful, there are a lot of sharp guys on this forum that follow more than one team. Oregon is stacked. Keep putting weak takes like that out there, and you're going to feel like JFK in Dealey Plaza.
We’ll revisit this in the NCAA tournament. They’ll be out in the round of 32 or 16. Not enough talent for an EE run.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Some of you are just miserable to be miserable. The St. John's game was absolutely worth throwing a bitch fit over. Last night's game does not qualify for such a reaction due to countless reasons discussed ad nauseam about the current make up of our team. Get over it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Some of you are just miserable to be miserable. The St. John's game was absolutely worth throwing a bitch fit over. Last night's game does not qualify for such a reaction due to countless reasons discussed ad nauseam about the current make up of our team. Get over it.
I don't understand the point in watching the games if all you have to say today is negative stuff. Hell, ESPN has a Medcalf article where he asks if last night's game was the CBB game of the year.

But on here, we suck and Oregon is much better, but not actually that good. Never mind the rest of the country saw a high drama game with two really good teams going at it.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

SCCats wrote:
RawleArenas wrote:

They better.

We’ll revisit this in the NCAA tournament. They’ll be out in the round of 32 or 16. Not enough talent for an EE run.
So now if a team doesn’t make the elite 8, they “ain’t shit” only 8 teams each year are worth a damn...and if Arizona loses a game to a team that won’t be in that final eight...we should call for Miller’s head? Got it. I will be a better fan now....
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

It’s all continuing excuse land: the loss to Oregon isn’t a big deal “because they’re a great team.”

They aren’t. They’ll show themselves to be a round of 32 or 16 and out team.

And yeah that ain’t shit.

But some might be happy about S16 banners. I’m not one of them.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:It’s all continuing excuse land: the loss to Oregon isn’t a big deal “because they’re a great team.”

It's fucking early January. We're 2 games into conference play. Chill. Out.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

SCCats wrote:It’s all continuing excuse land: the loss to Oregon isn’t a big deal “because they’re a great team.”

We will revisit this when Oregon makes a run in the tourney...

But I have the feeling you would not be happy unless the wildcats never ever lost, which is simply unrealistic.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

OH MY GOD ARIZONA LOST TO THREE TEAMS BY A TOTAL OF TEN POINTS THAT ARE IN THE TOP TEN TWO OF WHICH WERE ON THE ROAD

The lack of knowledge of the game is amazing to me
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Then root for fucking UConn or some program that has overachieved in tournament success and is unwatchable 90% of every season. Fact is that Arizona is a top 10 all time program because of sustained success throughout its history, not just tournament success. I root for the team because I love the school, program and hell, we're pretty fucking good year to year.

Don't kid yourself though, no one here is happy with a sweet sixteen finish for this team or any other year. No fan of any team is ever happy unless they win the chip. Doesn't mean we have to go off the handle every time we lose a close game in fucking January like our season is over. Until we get bounced from the tournament, don't talk about where us or anyone else is gonna finish like you have any fucking idea. I'm gonna root for this team until its actually over this season.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I am grateful for the level headed big picture people on this board. It does however feel like a eternity since we actually beat a team ranked higher than us. Correct me if I am wrong- UCLA 2017. I see both sides of the debate.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You can't make a Final Four on January 9th.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dave wrote:I am grateful for the level headed big picture people on this board. It does however feel like a eternity since we actually beat a team ranked higher than us. Correct me if I am wrong- UCLA 2017. I see both sides of the debate.
It was actually aTm in 17-18, I think.

Oregon in the P12 championship game in 16-17 before that. We probably did it once or twice last year if you just mean a team with a better BPI.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Dave wrote:I am grateful for the level headed big picture people on this board. It does however feel like a eternity since we actually beat a team ranked higher than us. Correct me if I am wrong- UCLA 2017. I see both sides of the debate.
vs. asu in 2017-18, the year they started hot and beat kansas in AFH? i think they were ranked in the top 3 at the time.

dunno if that counts though bc asu sorta crashed and burned after the preseason that year.
Last edited by dirtbags on Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:
vs. asu in 2017-18, the year they started hot and beat kansas in AFH? i think they were ranked in the top 3 at the time.
Dang, good catch. You're right. I thought it was earlier OOC, but that ASU game is right.

I like to think I forgot it because ASU was never that good, so it shouldn't really count.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

hah! yeah, i was editing my post at the same time you posted to qualify that. lol
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:hah! yeah, i was editing my post at the same time you posted to qualify that. lol
You reminded me of the two weeks when Guard U was a thing.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

On the talent points, we should back to 2017-2018 as a good history lesson.

Ayton was #7 in KenPom's player of the year and Alonzo Trier was in the top 40 in offensive efficiency for guys who were considered significant contributors. That was a talented team that got their assess kicked by Buffalo and never played to their potential, plus I'd question how much of a team they really were...

This year's group is talented, young, but they seem to play well together given the proper context. If the same things are happening in mid-February, then I'd be very concerned.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SabinoDrifter wrote:Ayton was #7 in KenPom's player of the year and Alonzo Trier was in the top 40 in offensive efficiency for guys who were considered significant contributors. That was a talented team that got their assess kicked by Buffalo and never played to their potential, plus I'd question how much of a team they really were...
According to reports, Trier was extremely disliked by the other players.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

It always looked like alkins did not like trier
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I think people who believe all the hype of players coming in and never get a glimpse into team dynamics or prima donna attitudes in the locker room probably should not watch college BB...

According to the hype every MacDonalds player or top tier recruit is simply an amazing prodigy that has never existed before now and are all just aching to be molded into the perfect college player...never any issues between them and the rest of the team ot school load or the coaching staff or being on their own for the first time in their entire life (as much as a basketball player can be on their own)...

No one even considers that these 18 year old males might experience depression, or be overwhelmed by an actual college education requirement...might miss their family or not like their roommate...

My first year in college was a huge shift in life for me...I got depressed and it was incredibly hard to stay focused, and that was not even considering all the short-shorts and tube tops that roam around the UA campus...

The fact that we turn these guys into local celebrities and forget that they ARE FUCKING MINORS...that almost none of them can even go into a bar without an adult...

That rumors exist that Trier was disliked by the other players should not shock anyone...but it does because we are not realistic about who these guys really are...in most cases they are barely older than a 16 year old but handed tremendous expectation by a fan base of old cynics.

We need to remember who these guys are...even Ayton is still a bit of a child...and making millions...which they all hope to do.

We need better scapegoats, these kids are to soft.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
SabinoDrifter wrote:Ayton was #7 in KenPom's player of the year and Alonzo Trier was in the top 40 in offensive efficiency for guys who were considered significant contributors. That was a talented team that got their assess kicked by Buffalo and never played to their potential, plus I'd question how much of a team they really were...
According to reports, Trier was extremely disliked by the other players.
I think that's more common than we think. The important part is whether players can work together, not if they like each other. In 16-17, the team seemed more together despite guys like Kobi and Trier.

In 17-18...the culture changed.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

More of those DWWD ethos so many delusional fans gravitate toward despite repeated failure. Indeed these aren't isolated events but rather a pattern of incompetence that's sadly become acceptable to a fan base with low expectations. By the way I love the avatar. Such a perfect depiction of current Arizona athletics.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I'm going to address you one time . We have lost 3 games to teams in the top ten. Two away from home. We are starting 3 freshman who will make mistakes and be inconsistent. If you don't think Mannion held his own against Prichard you are ignorant.

The last thing I will address to anyone who thinks DWWD is stupid or shortsighted. DWWD was coined by Wooden. Wooden would not even look at film of his opponents. If you DWWD he felt UCLA would win. I think Bill Walton said they watch film twice in his career. Guess what? They lost both games and as he put it they were worried about what the other team would do instead of paying their game.

:mod edit:
if you can't keep it civil, don't bother adressing someone
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

So last night I think the shot selection improved accept for a few, rebounding by Zeke was solid especially in the first half, we kept our turnovers down and I was encouraged by most of the defense. We lost this game because we got no production and many mistakes by a senior center that looked out of place.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote:So last night I think the shot selection improved accept for a few, rebounding by Zeke was solid especially in the first half, we kept our turnovers down and I was encouraged by most of the defense. We lost this game because we got no production and many mistakes by a senior center that looked out of place.
I mean, I hate putting it all on one guy. But if Chase is going to be anything remotely noteworthy with this program, he may wanna get started on Sunday.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

For all the haters and doubters, Arizona may not be up to your “standards.” But they’re also not ranked 12th like Maryland and down 19 at unranked Iowa. Arizona is still way underrated. The metrics say so. And the dividends will be paid come March.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

zonagrad wrote:For all the haters and doubters, Arizona may not be up to your “standards.” But they’re also not ranked 12th like Maryland and down 19 at unranked Iowa. Arizona is still way underrated. The metrics say so. And the dividends will be paid come March.
Underrated teams don't lose to every good team they play... that just means they aren't that good.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.