Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

DrWildcat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by DrWildcat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:47 am
While I have been disappointed in the results over the past few years, it's not Clay Helton bad. Helton's good years came with Sark's players. Even in the two good years, USC was never a legitimate NC threat anyway. You can't say the same with Miller.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not going to read that article and give him a click but to me that is a stupid analogy. Miller is heads and shoulders above Helton in so many aspects of running a top flight program. Just not the right time to make a change but that's just me
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Clay Helton had the best record in the Pac 10/12 for the last decade?
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

How quickly after tonight should we hear one way or another if miller is staying or going? No chance he goes into his final season with no extension right?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Before the end of March. Has to be.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

There is still no time table for the arbitration hearing thing, is there?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:53 pm There is still no time table for the arbitration hearing thing, is there?
Nope. The IIRP hasn't even started with the first school in que.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

catgrad97 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:26 pm And Mackovic won some big games at Texas. Sumlin had Johnny Football. So what?

It's a not a presidential vote here, guys. Sampson's older than federal retirement age. And we're going to bring him over here based on a resume'?!

Good for Sampson and Houston. They're a good fit. They should stay that way. Students and alumni should not have to pay one red cent more for a 66-year-old coach, no matter what he's done in his glorious past.

It. Doesn't. Work. Not for head coaches. Lute was hired here at 49.

It'd be like saying that if Phil Jackson had ever left Chicago early, Tex Winter would have been the perfect replacement. GTFO with that nonsense.

Extend Miller or import a young, hungry staff from somewhere else. Nobody needs to get it in their heads that what didn't work for football, like, ever, will suddenly work for basketball. It's a suicidally misguided notion.
There are many coaches that are excellent beyond federal retirement age. In fact one just won his 900 game. Not to mention Lute. Young and hungry always works....I mean you just described Ben Linsey ....lol. My hope is a long term extension for Miller.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Welp the vibe on the other site is Miller gone
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The vibe from who? Because depending on which posters you read here, Miller is gone and will be replaced by some asshole that would never in a million years get the job.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NickyBCats wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:35 pm Welp the vibe on the other site is Miller gone
Bullshit. He’s not going anywhere.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

1. UA AD owes Sumlin $7,500,000
2. UA AD took a huge budget cut due to the pandemic
3. Miller isn't going anywhere
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Merkin wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:43 pm 1. UA AD owes Sumlin $7,500,000
2. UA AD took a huge budget cut due to the pandemic
3. Miller isn't going anywhere
Spot on

I thought last year was Miller’s last stand to prove what he had. Covid extended that IMO. Next year is make it or break it. 2 year extension of current numbers on top of the 1 year left is my prediction.

My 2 cents: If Miller succeeds and Fisch doesn’t, Heeke is done. If Miller doesn’t succeed, he’s done and so is Heeke. If Miller succeeds and Fisch shows signs of growth? Heeke sticks around.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

PPU sources saying he gets extended. Not sure how good the info is there, but I check it every once in a while.

I don't even check the other one anymore. Changed their paywall and it is super frustrating and can't read half the comments.

Thanks guys for keeping this site great!!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The IARP ruled on South Carolina last week. Wrist slap 2-year probation with no further penalties. We're a few months behind South Carolina, so expect a ruling for Arizona hopefully this summer.

Getting rid of Miller now would be ludicrous. He's been a winner and has been within whiskers of three Final Fours. The last few years have been marred with scandals, but look at the top 8 we have returning, assuming they all come back. Akinjo, Baker, Keriisa, Mathurin, Terry, J. Brown, Tubelis, and Koloko. Throw in Batchko who redshirted because of injury but did practice the last few weeks with the team, and find me another team returning this much for next year. I bet you can't.

Doesn't mean we'll start Top 10, be wouldn't surprise me if we're ranked top 25, and move quickly up, because our team will be more experienced not only playing college basketball, but with playing with each other. Look at all the blue bloods struggling this year. Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, etc., all struggling, because they have to replace major parts every year. Without a full summer and practice schedule, these teams just weren't ready day 1 this year. Next year, hopefully, it should all back to normal. And while many of these teams will lose their top players like usual, we may only lose Lee and T. Brown.

In addition, we get a wrist slap from the IARP like South Carolina, as I expect, we have a very bright outlook. Team should be very competitive, no FBI scandal hanging over us, and still everything that Arizona Basketball has to offer recruits. Letting Miller go now would be silly.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The lack of public comment from Heeke or Robbins regarding the program and support for Miller from the school appears cowardly. The FBI, NCAA and even the UA has conducted its investigation. It's been three plus years. Miller either should have been fired quite some time ago or backed 100% and given an extension. The penalties are irrelevant. Miller could be completely innocent and we still get punished because its the NCAA. It's as if Arizona's decision makers are letting someone else write the narrative and decide Miller's future. To me it appears gutless.

At this point, how can there be anything new that Heeke & Robbins don't know about? They have the information and could have and should have acted on it by now. It shows just how little leadership there is in the AD department. It's reactionary instead of proactive. It's just my opinion but it seems like Heeke and Robbins are frequently putting their fingers in the air to test the wind rather than taking decisive action one way or another.

I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise based on the silence that prevailed in light of the failed leadership from Conference Commissioner Larry Scott. School Presidents and ADs were afraid to speak up and call a turd a turd. This may all play out smoothly and Miller gets extended and the program continues its climb. Who knows what the ABOR is thinking. I just think those in leadership positions should have put themselves out there right now and made their case one way or another.

It's all just my opinion but it leaves me with a total lack of respect for our leadership.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

That's a great post, zg. I haven't paid close enough attention to Heeke and Robbins throughout this mess, so I appreciate your perspective on their behavior.

The more I read about this situation, the more sure I am that he'll get a contract extension. It's just awfully strange that it hasn't happened yet. Not fair to Sean.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:14 am The IARP ruled on South Carolina last week. Wrist slap 2-year probation with no further penalties. We're a few months behind South Carolina, so expect a ruling for Arizona hopefully this summer.

Getting rid of Miller now would be ludicrous. He's been a winner and has been within whiskers of three Final Fours. The last few years have been marred with scandals, but look at the top 8 we have returning, assuming they all come back. Akinjo, Baker, Keriisa, Mathurin, Terry, J. Brown, Tubelis, and Koloko. Throw in Batchko who redshirted because of injury but did practice the last few weeks with the team, and find me another team returning this much for next year. I bet you can't.

Doesn't mean we'll start Top 10, be wouldn't surprise me if we're ranked top 25, and move quickly up, because our team will be more experienced not only playing college basketball, but with playing with each other. Look at all the blue bloods struggling this year. Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, etc., all struggling, because they have to replace major parts every year. Without a full summer and practice schedule, these teams just weren't ready day 1 this year. Next year, hopefully, it should all back to normal. And while many of these teams will lose their top players like usual, we may only lose Lee and T. Brown.

In addition, we get a wrist slap from the IARP like South Carolina, as I expect, we have a very bright outlook. Team should be very competitive, no FBI scandal hanging over us, and still everything that Arizona Basketball has to offer recruits. Letting Miller go now would be silly.
Where did you see that SC went through the IARP? I don't believe it did...the IARP has yet to rule on any case. Memphis was the first accepted by the IARP and that was back in March of last year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:14 am The IARP ruled on South Carolina last week. Wrist slap 2-year probation with no further penalties. We're a few months behind South Carolina, so expect a ruling for Arizona hopefully this summer.

That was the NCAA’s ruling on South Carolina, not the IARP.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

As was pointed out that wasn't an IARP ruling.

Bill Self was quoted last week as saying that Kansas expects to go before the IARP Tribunal/Kangaroo court sometime in either late summer or early fall. We are just behind Kansas in the queue. Thats all I have seen regarding timing.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:21 pm

As was pointed out that wasn't an IARP ruling.

Bill Self was quoted last week as saying that Kansas expects to go before the IARP Tribunal/Kangaroo court sometime in either late summer or early fall. We are just behind Kansas in the queue. Thats all I have seen regarding timing.

Someone set the record straight (or better yet, set me straight) that the evidence on Kansas and Self is far more damning than the evidence on Arizona and Miller. Yes, they're different in that Book was convicted. But there's hard evidence of text messages involving Self, correct? What are the parallels on KU & Arizona and what are the differences and expectations of penalties?
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

South Carolina wasn't an IARP ruling. My mistake. It was a cooperative agreement between the NCAA and South Carolina. It also sets a precedent the IARP will likely follow.

As far as evidence goes, it's what you can prove happened. There was a ton of smoke regarding Arizona, Kansas, and other programs paying players. But hearsay evidence should not be enough alone to penalize a school. It sets an awful precedence. Otherwise, get a disgruntled ex-coach, player, or someone involved somehow with the program say something damning on tape, and regardless of how truthful, the school could still get penalized? Not going to happen.

It all boils down to what the NCAA can prove. Maybe they have payment records for non-Arizona players, and there were some released by Adidas I believe. But when it comes to Arizona players, it's nothing but hearsay and speculation.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Fwiw, FSU just extended Leonard Hamilton 5 years. In 19 years, Hamilton has been to one E8, has won one ACC title, and has missed the NCAA tourney 10 times. FSU ain't AZ, so expectations are very different. But still, kudos to FSU for taking care of their guy.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The NCAA enforcement staff said Kansas' basketball program committed "egregious" and "severe" rules violations that "significantly undermine and threaten the NCAA Collegiate Model," and alleged that Jayhawks coach Bill Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend "embraced, welcomed and encouraged" Adidas employees and consultants to influence high-profile basketball recruits to sign with Kansas.

The NCAA also included allegations that Gassnola provided $15,000 to an unidentified individual to give to the mother of recruit Deandre Ayton, who signed with Arizona, and that Gassnola "communicated in a text message to Self that he had let Self down" when Ayton signed with the Wildcats.

The NCAA is also asserting that KU refuses to accept responsibility (ask USC how that turns out).

Kansas officials, along with Self and Townsend, are disputing each of the five Level I violations regarding the men's basketball program, as well as each of the nine aggravating factors cited by the NCAA.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

This is concerning. Why not say we want to extend him
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I wonder if the FBI thing and its aftermath have simply made Heeke much more guarded with what he says publicly. I don't read his comment as, "we're not extending him." I read it as he's saying they'll soon be discussing the terms of his extension and announce something publicly afterwards.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

In my world Sean Miller should have more job security than Heeke. What exactly has Heeke done that is so exceptional at Arizona? What am I missing?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:42 pm In my world Sean Miller should have more job security than Heeke. What exactly has Heeke done that is so exceptional at Arizona? What am I missing?
Nothing, but in the world of college sports, it's generally harder to replace an AD than a coach. Those ADs can keep their jobs for ages, in spite of their athletics programs tanking.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Apparently ESPN won their public records requests so Arizona will have to release the NOA. Any way that could be a good thing for us?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I'm not sure if it is good or bad but I'm pretty sure ESPN will spin it as being horrible no matter what. Wonder if Arizona will appeal?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Listening to Sean from the presser after the game last night and he definitely is planning to be here next year. Hopefully he knows where things are headed
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

NickyBCats wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:15 pm Apparently ESPN won their public records requests so Arizona will have to release the NOA. Any way that could be a good thing for us?
Probably a moot point. The move was more likely a “fuck you” to the media. Now they can have their document. Not sure why evidence is so important to a faux journalist like Schlabach anyway. Sure didn’t matter the first time he reported on college basketball..
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

zonagrad wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:42 pm In my world Sean Miller should have more job security than Heeke. What exactly has Heeke done that is so exceptional at Arizona? What am I missing?
After the football hire, I feel like Heeke is just a glorified spokesman.
How many decisions is he making?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

There is no reason to drag out the decision on Miller’s future.

1. Mutually part ways and get started on the search. Earlier the better before any potential top targets get gobbled up.

2. Extend with a school friendly buyout/contract.

Am I missing anything?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I don't see the justification of letting the program twist in the wind for the last three seasons under Miller and decide to part ways now that he has obviously righted the ship. If you were going to fire him -- then fire him last season, or the season before. It makes no sense to not extend him. All you're doing by firing Miller now is guaranteeing that the program will twist in the wind for another 2-3 seasons minimum as a new coach tries to rebuild. You're kidding yourself if you believe that you can fire Miller but still enjoy the fruits of his recruiting. Every decent player on the roster will bolt if you fire Miller. I seriously want to corner Robbins & Heeke and politely ask them, "What the fuck are you doing?"
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Fuck John Wilmer. AZ basher who I hope gets syphallis and his Dick falls off
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:13 pm Fuck John Wilmer. AZ basher who I hope gets syphallis and his Dick falls off
Don’t hold back 49 - say what’s on your mind.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

zonagrad wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:55 pm I don't see the justification of letting the program twist in the wind for the last three seasons under Miller and decide to part ways now that he has obviously righted the ship. If you were going to fire him -- then fire him last season, or the season before. It makes no sense to not extend him. All you're doing by firing Miller now is guaranteeing that the program will twist in the wind for another 2-3 seasons minimum as a new coach tries to rebuild. You're kidding yourself if you believe that you can fire Miller but still enjoy the fruits of his recruiting. Every decent player on the roster will bolt if you fire Miller. I seriously want to corner Robbins & Heeke and politely ask them, "What the fuck are you doing?"
I'm guessing it comes down to whether Robbins (Heeke is irrelevant) thinks he can get someone better. In the current climate combined with looming sanctions, I kind of doubt that will be possible. But Robbins obviously thinks very highly of himself so who knows? If we had a competent AD, that could tell Robbins to fuck off, then I think Miller would already be extended 2-3 years as it probably makes the most sense all around.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:13 pm Fuck John Wilmer. AZ basher who I hope gets syphallis and his Dick falls off
As you know j, but others may not, that Wilner used to be a sports beat reporter in Tucson for the Citizen or ADS, can't remember which one. Ever since then he has always had a grudge against the UA. Don't recall Lute being rude to him like was to Hansen and Columbo.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

DrWildcat wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:46 pm I'm guessing it comes down to whether Robbins (Heeke is irrelevant) thinks he can get someone better.
Does Jed Fisch have a brother?
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Are the biggest boosters still 100% behind Miller?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Finally admits he is an alum without being embarrassed about it?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

VegasCatFan wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:03 pm Are the biggest boosters still 100% behind Miller?
From what I know, yes, but Heeke & Robbins have demonstrated pretty publicly that they don’t really give a fuck.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:42 pm
VegasCatFan wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:03 pm Are the biggest boosters still 100% behind Miller?
From what I know, yes, but Heeke & Robbins have demonstrated pretty publicly that they don’t really give a fuck.
Well then, they're demonstrating that they're going to duplicate the Sumlin hire for our basketball program and crater our program.

Cutting ties with Miller could have been fully justified when the shit hit the fan -- but that time has long since passed. If they cut Miller loose now, it shows they don't understand college basketball nor our program. And that pisses me off to no end.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

zonagrad wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:47 pm
Well then, they're demonstrating that they're going to duplicate the Sumlin hire for our basketball program and crater our program.

Cutting ties with Miller could have been fully justified when the shit hit the fan -- but that time has long since passed. If they cut Miller loose now, it shows they don't understand college basketball nor our program. And that pisses me off to no end.
For what it’s worth, I don’t think they will fire Miller. The only reason I think they would is because he’d be the hottest commodity on the coaching carousel and they wouldn’t have to pay the entirety of his buyout. But I don’t think that’s a factor that would sway them.

What I think is more likely is that they let him dangle in limbo into next season without an extension ..... which I would say is actually way worse.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Lets say there was a certain NBA coach who was tired of the NBA and wanted to coach closer to a parent who for arguments sake is a surgeon here in Tucson. If that was a reality I would be the first one packing Miller's bags, otherwise based on where we are today extend Miller with a University friendly buyout plan and call it a day.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't imagine any working NBA coach would ever want an NCAA job unless they are out of work. As Steve Kerr has said, the recruiting and the NCAA rules are very unappealing.

Did Larry Brown ever go from a working NBA job to college? Like Brown said, the biggest difference in coaching is that in college the athletes still listen to you. Which is probably why Miller would never go to the NBA.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:07 pm Lets say there was a certain NBA coach who was tired of the NBA and wanted to coach closer to a parent who for arguments sake is a surgeon here in Tucson. If that was a reality I would be the first one packing Miller's bags, otherwise based on where we are today extend Miller with a University friendly buyout plan and call it a day.
Kerri Strug?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:53 pm
zonagrad wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:47 pm

For what it’s worth, I don’t think they will fire Miller. The only reason I think they would is because he’d be the hottest commodity on the coaching carousel and they wouldn’t have to pay the entirety of his buyout. But I don’t think that’s a factor that would sway them.

What I think is more likely is that they let him dangle in limbo into next season without an extension ..... which I would say is actually way worse.
If I'm Miller and I don't get an extension -- then I'm looking for another job at a program like Vanderbilt, Boston College, etc... Shit, even New Mexico would be worthwhile because Miller would get at least five years guaranteed.

I can't imagine our boosters are staying quiet on this -- even if Robbins & Heeke don't seem to care.