ASU blows

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Fendicent4ever

Re: ASU blows

Post by Fendicent4ever »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:35 am We've got a road swing coming up that actually means something, so I hesitate to even raise the issue of the arrested development mud throwers, but we'll play them immediately afterward, so I guess I will. Can anybody even imagine an Arizona basketball fan putting up a billboard showing how lop-sided things are in the rivalry? No, because it goes without saying, like the sun rising in the east, and they're so pathetic, it would amount to damning ourselves with faint praise. That's also true in a number of other sports. But I detect younger brother desperate-for-attention tantrum behavior over our success in men's and women's hoops and the anticipation for baseball and softball. And nary a thought about ASU in that set of sports, which focuses much more on UCLA, Oregon, and Stanford. Obviously football's been our albatross, and the low-wage Cronkite interns who surf the web for click-bait just found a new billboard touting ASU's success at beating our 1-10 team. But, even with our current reduced circumstances, our football accomplishments in the Pac era (and who counts much before that?) are closer to theirs than they'd like to admit. Just don't worry about the specific name on a bowl and look at top ten finishes. And also ask how excited we've ever been at participating in the lower-tier bowls, particularly if we'd lose. Boy, Shreveport and El Paso sure were fun. Meanwhile, Fisch is killing it in recruiting, they're going on probation, and we're picked ahead of them for next season. So, congrats to them for extending the conversation on their disappointing season while we've turned the page. We'll press them into oblivion at McKale, their savior Hurley will be fired, and we'll win at everything that matters the rest of the school year. So yuck it up, fellas; I guess it's better than kicking the dog.

Exactly. I hope they are enjoying their streak now. Arizona state is a commuter school. Commuter schools don't have the structure, alumni base, or soul to be great in athletics. I'm sure its a fine school and if my hypothetical kids got financial aid to go there, its a discussion point. And hell if you're a golf prodigy the Mickelson practice complex is as good as it gets. But thats kind of it.

I love the "we are the football school" notion that they have. If you game out the modern histories, and Arizona has been meh for much of it, ASU averages about 1.3 more wins per season. Its hardly Ohio-State vs Minnesota. More like Illinois-Minnesota. 1996 was near 30 years ago. Arizona has played in both a conference championship game and a major bowl more recently almost in-spite of themselves.

One school is a community staple in a large college town/small city. The other is 4 concrete campuses surrounded by call centers. Tell me which one has more upside again?

They will start with a new hoops coach next season and while they should hire a builder from the WCC they will get it wrong. Then the football team goes on probation, Herm gets fired, and the 7 win juggernaut trips and falls on its face. At that point what will they do? Its a university run on hubris from Crow, to Anderson, to Edwards. There will be no self reflection, they will hire some iteration of Charlie Weis and win 5-7 games a year.

To sum it up, I LOVE the delusion. Whether its WP Carey vs Eller, the Cronkite school that has nothing to do with the Cronkite family or the football sleeping giant.

Arizona State will always be the school that your cousin from Chicago or New Jersey sends his "troubled" kid.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Watching Bobby Hurley lose his cool and throw temper tantrums on the floor is just priceless ha ha ha….. “ASU Basketball, Where Coaches Go To End Their Careers” :-)
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Stanford has 41 fta to ASU's 9 :lol:
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ASU fights back and ties the game in the last seconds ONLY to foul Stanford at the 3 point line with 1 second left! Ha ha ha…..3 made Free Throws later, Bobby Hurley, butt-hurt, storms off the court yelling at the Refs and refusing the customary end of game handshakes with the Stanford Coaches. What a class act…… 😂
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:10 pm Stanford has 41 fta to ASU's 9 :lol:
That alone would have made the game worth following.......nah.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

That’s a shame.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I literally do not even pay attention to ASU hoops. Like, at all. They’re a boring program with a joke for a coach. I don’t consider them a rival. They’re just a Pac bottom feeder. It’s astonishing to me Hurley has kept his job this long.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Just because you don't touch the arm doesn't mean it's not a foul. He continued and knocked the shooter in the legs as he was coming down. It was definitely a foul IMO.

Didn't see most of the game so can't talk to ASSU getting screwed as a whole.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Did anyone see the end of the game altercation between asu and the officials. Hurley confronted one of the officials and then an asu player bumped the official from behind. Will be interesting to see if there is fallout from the incident.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That ASU player certainly initiated contact with the official… has to be a suspension
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That’s Tucson official Chris Rastatter that got bumped. Worked the FF last year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I didn't even know they had a game until I read through the sports this morning. Guess I figured they'd play on the same days we do. The guy who bumped the ref is a guard named Jay Heath, according to their roster. Averages about 10 ppg. Just another cog in Hurley's mighty basketball machine. No pity for the shitty.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

f*ck ASU
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:45 pm
Not a shocker.

Frankly, the asu players are getting off easy. 30 years ago bumping a ref would have drawn a MUCH longer suspension.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Cal beat ASU by 24 and we beat Cal by 25. This means we will beat ASU by 49.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

OriginalAZ wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:53 pm Cal beat ASU by 24 and we beat Cal by 25. This means we will beat ASU by 49.
I hope we beat them 71-7.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

OriginalAZ wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:53 pm Cal beat ASU by 24 and we beat Cal by 25. This means we will beat ASU by 49.
I don't think we will beat them by that much..........but I do believe we are witnessing the death throes of Bobby Hurleys college coaching career.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine ASU will settle for mediocrity like Georgia Tech did with Pastner.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ASU wishes it was Georgia Tech
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No one takes that job due to its potential. If it’s a sleeping giant it’s comatose with no chance is resuscitation.

Coaches go there for the paycheck and the buy out. Freider had his market gig and Hurley has his horses. They should have stuck with Sendek
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Pathetic how he watched his player charge the ref and did nothing. What a child

Gonna be a rough next 5 games lol

@USC
@AZ
USC
UCLA
AZ
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Jefe wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:29 pm Pathetic how he watched his player charge the ref and did nothing. What a child

@USC
@AZ
USC
UCLA
AZ
Whats the over/under for number of technicals and games he gets tossed from? :lol:
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

dmjcat wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:04 pm
Watch them win at USC without Hurley there
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Fishclamps wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:29 pm
Watch them win at USC without Hurley there
I believe that's called "pulling a Frieder".
-JB
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:54 pm
Jefe wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:29 pm Pathetic how he watched his player charge the ref and did nothing. What a child

@USC
@AZ
USC
UCLA
AZ
Whats the over/under for number of technicals and games he gets tossed from? :lol:
Over/under
Ts = 6
tossed = 3
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

don't hate me, but I have to ask: Do we root for the ShitShovels against the Condoms?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

f*ck ASU
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

But won't their suffering be more exquisite if a herculean effort to beat SC takes them into McKale with high hopes ...... only for their spirit to be crushed in front of us?

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Is it too much to ask for Kansas and ASU to lose tonight?
-JB
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

just tuned into the asu usc game to hear walton talking about hot dogs
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

lol asu you fuckin suck
TheCatInTheHat

Wilner's Such A Dick

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Some people get starry-eyed over him because he does some overall conference coverage of how other teams are doing and the league front office, and because he gets picked up outside of San Jose by a couple of other papers who otherwise can't be bothered. That's fine, but whether he calls his column "Hotline", "Hot Takes", or "The Only Real Truth", it's nothing more than his opinions, complete with the consistent arrogant use of the royal "we", as though his opinions have a broader base. So, he says the COVID reschedule of the Arizona at ASU game to Monday night, Feb 7 is "sub-optimal", but the "only disadvantage" to Arizona is that it's 80 miles away. Typical disingenuous journalist. Google Maps still has it a 110 miles, which he knows full well from living here, but he thinks it helps leverage his position to minimize the distance by almost 30 percent. It's trivial, but it's also the typical penny ante shrug-it-off and kiss up to the league approach. Maybe the conference will someday have a press secretary job for him to apply for...although why bother when they already have him? The real issue is that we play the most talented team in the league, UCLA, on Thursday in probably our biggest home game, followed by one of the most talented teams in USC on Saturday, followed by ASU's annual Game Of The Year now on Monday, followed by the longest and most difficult road trip of the year, to icy Pullman, Washington for a Thursday night game. WSU is 10-7, but with a 2 point loss to USC, and a 16 point win at Utah. It matters, and we have every reason to be pissed at ASU for doing a lousy job with COVID protocols, as well as with the league office for not just leaving those games as forfeits, or replacing the Pac-12 Tournament with make-up games.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The difficult thing is we had three road games rescheduled which the conference de used to put two of them in from or in back of other road trips. Not sure how day UCLA and USC was treated but I bet it wasn’t as arduous
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't see how Hurley is retained after this season.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

azgreg wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:33 am I don't see how Hurley is retained after this season.
I don’t see how he has been retained after his suspension the other day…. He is a very unstable coach and has lost his team. For someone worry more about how he feels first and not be man enough to stop his players from running at the refs should be dismissed. ASU basketball has hit rock bottom (much like U of A football a year ago) and it’s time to clean the slate.

I don’t want him to leave for our benefit, but he is an embarrassment for the PAC-12.

He needs to beg for an assistant job at UConn next year.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Hurley has 2 years left on his contract after this season is over. Now would be the time to cut bait. Don't want to have a coach with less than 2 years remaining on a contract, if possible. Not a good look when the future is uncertain. This is assuming ASu can afford the buyout. The last two years have not been kind to any school's athletic budget, and ASu is also staring down at sanctions for the football program.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:33 pm Hurley has 2 years left on his contract after this season is over. Now would be the time to cut bait. Don't want to have a coach with less than 2 years remaining on a contract, if possible. Not a good look when the future is uncertain. This is assuming ASu can afford the buyout. The last two years have not been kind to any school's athletic budget, and ASu is also staring down at sanctions for the football program.
At this point I think Herm Edwards would be a better interim basketball coach for them. What a cluster that has developed up north...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cut your basketball and football coach at the same time?…..oh wait
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Brian Billick?

Grumpy Old Men

f*ck ASU
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Just made my t-shirt for the game. "The Kitty has no Pity". Over at half.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

What happened to those clown shorts they were promoting at the start of the season?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

azgreg wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:33 am I don't see how Hurley is retained after this season.
If they hurry they can get Chris Mack as Louisville will probably fire him tomorrow.
TheCatInTheHat

Hansen Is So Full Of It

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

The guy just sits down at his keyboard, comes up with some angle, and shoe-horns supporting ideas into it, no matter how invalid or easily refuted or damaging to his credibility. It's called being lazy. So the latest is the scene-setter for Bobby Hurley getting his ass kicked again Saturday by Arizona. Since Hansen said Hurley would set the league on its ear when he came in, rather than expecting the predictable same old outcome, he needs an excuse. So, his excuse is that ASU didn't spend $150M renovating their Activity Center (a rose by any other name would smell the same.) And, he laughably says that the 14,000 seat arena, built two years after McKale Center, is the second-worst arena in the Pac-12, and that's where the fault lies for ASU basketball's failures. It's complete and total bullshit, and it sounds like the ASU party line. I've seen 8 of the 12 arenas in the league. Here's where they rank:

Arizona: College hoops bucket list site, due to facility, history, and vibe. I met some fans from KU there once, and they were in awe.
Oregon: What money can buy. Their problem is Altman's success is recent, and they draw from Portland, so weeknight games are tough.
UCLA: Nice reno, and amazing history. But flighty LA fans, and unless game time's perfect for traffic, lots of visible blue seats.
USC: Beautiful facility. But, no long-term consistency, and nobody wants to go down there at night.
Utah: They haven't done much since Majerus, but it's a nice facility.
ASU: No hoops culture and lots of visible red seats. But also a nice enough facility.
Colorado: Smallish and spartan, but Boyle often gets the crowd going.
Washington: It's a cute reno and very purple. I guess it seats 10K, but it seems smaller, like a GCU game.
WSU: Like a generic spartan convention center in Rochester or someplace. No culture or atmosphere.
Stanford: Comes off like a small student rec facility. Nothing going on since Monty.
California: The former Harmon Gym. Small and land-locked, and their reno was cut-rate.
OSU: Small and ancient. Looks like a venue for a WCC game.

So there you have it. ASU's problems are not due to their facility. They're trapped in a vicious cycle where mediocrity breeds fan apathy. They can try to bring in some "name" (if they can convince anybody to walk the plank for a short-term payday), and they may get a temporary bump. But after their curiosity is satisfied, the migratory nature of Phoenix area fans with other available options settles in and they aren't interested in an irrelevant college basketball program. Some just aren't hoops fans, there's the Suns, and many actually would find GCU a more enjoyable outing, rather than robotically flocking to spend their time and money on the local commuter school.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

He is just a dick and uses every chance he gets to run down Miller also which this article also does.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Thanks for the summary TCITH as I refuse to give him clicks since the "rhymes with Look" radio incident. He should have been fired. Shame on the Daily Star.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Someone posted this on FB

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Mike Damone is a UofA student?