UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by MrBug708 »

We aren't going undefeated in PAC 12 play. 15-3 is probably best case scenario with our defense
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Congrats Bug, way to represent the Pac!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

They look really good.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Both teams are lucky to be tied
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

They are ridiculous on offense but below average defensively. Damn they are fun to watch. If UCLA can't draw near sell outs with this kind of offense then that's pretty damn sad
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azcat49 wrote: They will beat Michigan next week by 20.
Wish I could predict the cats well. Duke and UCLA in the finals
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Michigan played a near flawless game and UCLA still beat them pretty handily and we did it without Welsh. We played with 2 true subs
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I'm on board now. Bruins are a power again. All roads to the conference title go through Westwood--and that means Miller will need to pull off the coaching job of his life this season.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Ucla's poor defense almost helps them. Michigan had no desire to play that style of basketball and beilan essentially said as much. But the shots are there for the opposing team and you take them and make or miss and the next thing you know you are trying to run and gun with the Bruins. Michigan being red hot in the first half kept pace bit couldn't sustain the effort in the second
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catgrad97 wrote:I'm on board now. Bruins are a power again. All roads to the conference title go through Westwood--and that means Miller will need to pull off the coaching job of his life this season.
Yup. If we had more than half a team I'm confident we'd be the best team in the conference. But it's ucla's to lose with arizona playing 2 on 1 the entire season.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Ucla's poor defense almost helps them. Michigan had no desire to play that style of basketball and beilan essentially said as much. But the shots are there for the opposing team and you take them and make or miss and the next thing you know you are trying to run and gun with the Bruins. Michigan being red hot in the first half kept pace bit couldn't sustain the effort in the second
Basically it's the Grinnell College system.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:I'm on board now. Bruins are a power again. All roads to the conference title go through Westwood--and that means Miller will need to pull off the coaching job of his life this season.
Yup. If we had more than half a team I'm confident we'd be the best team in the conference. But it's ucla's to lose with arizona playing 2 on 1 the entire season.
:lol:
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

YoDeFoe wrote:...and he was 4-21 from three in his three games in Aussie (http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... yptr=yahoo" target="_blank).

...and he shot 30% from three over his two years on the Adidas Nations circuit (http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Lon ... mary/59501" target="_blank).

He's a streaky volume shooter. I don't expect him to go 4-21 across every three game stretch and I don't expect him to go 4-7 over every two game stretch.

What I do expect is for him to come in as a low 30% three point shooter, just like his historical average. He went 3-4 against Pacific and now he's a good shooter? C'mon man.
He's currently at 45.3%
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Only way we stand a chance against these guys is by slowing them down and forcing them to play a physical, grind-out game. The faster the game, the more they thrive. I just don't think we have the size this year to really stop them. Ristic is a terrible defender. Kadeem is our best perimeter defender, but he's giving up several inches to Ball. Kobi and Rawle can neutralize Alford and Hamilton, but that leaves Holiday. Can Lauri guard Leaf? Leaf's been putting up big numbers against strong competition.

It would obviously help if our bench weren't so depleted. It'd be interesting to see us at full strength vs. UCLA. But I still don't see a guy on our team who can run with Ball, or frustrate him enough that he's making bad decisions.

Teams are gonna get wiser in their UCLA strategy in the coming weeks, but that team will also get stronger, more experienced, more confident. They're the heavy favorite right now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Care to explain? We're missing 6 of the 13 scholarship players we thought we'd have. It's completely reasonable that if we had 6 more players we'd be the best team in the league. Ucla fans already getting a little uppity and above their station aren't they?

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Care to explain? We're missing 6 of the 13 scholarship players we thought we'd have. It's completely reasonable that if we had 6 more players we'd be the best team in the league. Ucla fans already getting a little uppity and above their station aren't they?
It cracks me up when you start talking sports without mimicking the cues given by more knowledgeable posters. But if you feel the need to troll...so be it
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
It cracks me up when you start talking sports without mimicking the cues given by more knowledgeable posters. But if you feel the need to troll...so be it
...what trolling? You know far less than even I thought if you think my saying if Arizona had 6 more players we'd be better is a troll.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:...what trolling? You know far less than even I thought if you think my saying if Arizona had 6 more players we'd be better is a troll.
Yes. That was the trollish part of what you said :lol:

Either way, you can dance around all you want. When you get a clue, we can talk
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:...what trolling? You know far less than even I thought if you think my saying if Arizona had 6 more players we'd be better is a troll.

You're batshit insane if you don't think us having the other half of our team would help. Christ you know nothing about the sport if that's true. When you get a clue, we can talk.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

You're batshit insane if you don't think us having the other half of our team would help. Christ you know nothing about the sport if that's true. When you get a clue, we can talk.
Now I think you are just fucking with me. Well done sir! I was on to it when you said half of 13 was 6!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:...and he was 4-21 from three in his three games in Aussie (http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... yptr=yahoo" target="_blank).

...and he shot 30% from three over his two years on the Adidas Nations circuit (http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Lon ... mary/59501" target="_blank).

He's a streaky volume shooter. I don't expect him to go 4-21 across every three game stretch and I don't expect him to go 4-7 over every two game stretch.

What I do expect is for him to come in as a low 30% three point shooter, just like his historical average. He went 3-4 against Pacific and now he's a good shooter? C'mon man.
He's currently at 45.3%
I argued the point about him being a decent shooter. I'm not sure the 45.3% holds, but he's a decent shooter regardless of Adidas Nations.

You need good transition D to hang with the Bruins. The rest is details, that is the necessity.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... ll-offense" target="_blank

Pretty good read on UCLA's offense.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Looks like UCLA is going to play their 7th game with just 7 scholarship players available with Welsh out again. 6 scholarships unavailable to go tonight
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My poor Gauchos.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Serious question: who is going to beat UCLA this year? They haven't really had a close game yet.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Serious question: who is going to beat UCLA this year? They haven't really had a close game yet.
They'll probably go undefeated and win every NCAA tournament game by double digits.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Serious question: who is going to beat UCLA this year? They haven't really had a close game yet.
They'll probably go undefeated and win every NCAA tournament game by double digits.
And it will cement Arizona as a second-tier program in the PAC for as long as Beach Cat lives.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Serious question: How did you decide it was acceptable to constantly moan about your idiosyncratic obsession in public at everyone else's expense?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
And it will cement Arizona as a second-tier program in the PAC for as long as Beach Cat lives.
You can't spell Steve Alford without John Wooden.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

40-0
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Looks like UCLA is going to play their 7th game with just 7 scholarship players available with Welsh out again. 6 scholarships unavailable to go tonight
Sooooooo...... half?
Longhorned wrote:
Serious question: How did you decide it was acceptable to constantly moan about your idiosyncratic obsession in public at everyone else's expense?
Quick follow up question: Do you really think that the members of this board are waiting breathlessly to hear you proclaim this season a tragedy?

(I'll have to wait for someone to quote BC's response since I mercifully have him on Ignore)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
You can't spell Steve Alford without John Wooden.
You also cannot spell Steve Alford without Alf...or mini me Alford...

Some coaches are one and done as well...but they stay around so its hard to tell.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Looks like UCLA is going to play their 7th game with just 7 scholarship players available with Welsh out again. 6 scholarships unavailable to go tonight
Sooooooo...... half?
Yup. The season is a complete 360 from last year :lol:
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

no way ucla wins anything this year - all the miller-philes tell me is defense wins championships. you got to play grind it out man to man D to win and never fast break or push tempo because that wastes precious energy that could be spent on really nasty defense.......or something.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RiseAndFire wrote:no way ucla wins anything this year - all the miller-philes tell me is defense wins championships. you got to play grind it out man to man D to win and never fast break or push tempo because that wastes precious energy that could be spent on really nasty defense.......or something.
The worst part of those miller-philes arguments is when they go on and on about high shooting percentages as a sign of weakness because it means you're not a strong enough offensive rebounding team to win the hard way. And Miller himself still hasn't figured out that you can't advance in the tourney when you spend all season purposefully turning over the ball in situations that allow you to defend in transition rather than risking a set defense facing the inbounds pass to the opposing point guard after we score.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sloppy game but a win is a win. The first half was the worst half of UCLA basketball this year. Awful refs, only 19 assists, OSU turned the ball over plenty, really physical play by OSU in the post made TJ really have to earn it. But OSU, playing UCLA's style, was completely gased at the end of the game and didnt have a FG for the final 4 minutes.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UCLA looked uninterested today. To bad they didn't schedule Indiana as that would have been an up and down game.

This Kentucky NC game is very entertaining. Really been a great day of basketball
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

COB to SC. Kinda disappointed, if only because O'Bannon should always be on the back of a UCLA jersey
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I can never root for any O'Bannon after Ed single handedly destroyed NCAA Football video games due to his inability to work hard and be a competent pro.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I attributed it to a destroyed knee but your reason works too I guess
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

gronk4heisman wrote:I can never root for any O'Bannon after Ed single handedly destroyed NCAA Football video games due to his inability to work hard and be a competent pro.
This is a joke, right? Right?
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bruins01 wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:I can never root for any O'Bannon after Ed single handedly destroyed NCAA Football video games due to his inability to work hard and be a competent pro.
This is a joke, right? Right?
Odd, because that's really the only issue I like O'Bannon on. His actual career I could take or leave. The lawsuit, that was legit.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

He was an incredible college basketball player, and also completely right on that lawsuit, which is why college sports games went away.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

gronk4heisman wrote:I can never root for any O'Bannon...
Yeah well O'Bannon wrote, designed the special effects for, co-directed, and acted in THE GREATEST CHASE SCENE EVER PUT ON FILM.

Judgment is final. No alternative nominations will be considered. :D

Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Shouldn't this thread title be changed? UCLA Basketball is the class of the Pac12 and only legit Pac12 title contender this season. That's hardly "in trouble!".
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sometimes the thread is ironic and sometimes it is dead on.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Arizona is a starting shooting guard and a backup point guard away from being a title contender this year as well.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:Arizona is a starting shooting guard and a backup point guard away from being a title contender this year as well.
well missing PJC, Trier, Smith, Ferguson, Simon and Denny Smith from what we thought we'd have in May.

if we had them...then arizona would be a top 3 national title contender.

(cue mrbug's eye rolling or generally being a douche)

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Merry Christmas to you too! Glad to see you are a sour puss all year round and it's not just regulated to certain times of the year! Glad you are thinking of me this season!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Longhorned wrote:Arizona is a starting shooting guard and a backup point guard away from being a title contender this year as well.
Yep....but you know better than trying to be rational with Enfuego ;-).

Too bad Justin Simon didn't have the balls to stick it out this year! Oh, what could have been......