UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by MrBug708 »

Last time this happened, one kid ended up at UW, ome at Colorado, and one at Arizona
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

MrBug708 wrote:Last time this happened, one kid ended up at UW, ome at Colorado, and one at Arizona

Arizona call's not Ball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:Last time this happened, one kid ended up at UW, ome at Colorado, and one at Arizona
If that happens, can we get Riley? We could use post depth.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The alleged theft occurred at a Louis Vuitton location near the hotel the team was staying at
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:The alleged theft occurred at a Louis Vuitton location near the hotel the team was staying at
That is double dumb. Not only do you shoplift, you do it from a store with really expensive stuff people care about. Sheesh.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:The alleged theft occurred at a Louis Vuitton location near the hotel the team was staying at
That is double dumb. Not only do you shoplift, you do it from a store with really expensive stuff people care about. Sheesh.

In China aren't they probably just knockoffs anyways?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Shaq Richardson made me pull my hair out as a below average CB for several seasons. Can we do better this time?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So do the UCLA kids end up in a Chinese prison?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ASUHATER! wrote:So do the UCLA kids end up in a Chinese prison?
If the Chinese know what's good for them, they'll all go free just to get Lavar Ball out of the country.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Swap meet Louie will get you every time
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Something's fishy. Maybe these kids were targeted somehow? I've read too many stories about SE Asian tourists getting convicted of non-violent crimes and facing insane sentences. I refuse to believe these guys will spend much time in jail. They may be "held" for a while. Sounds like their justice system is slower than ours. But I'd be fairly surprised if they're not back on American soil by Thanksgiving.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:Something's fishy. Maybe these kids were targeted somehow? I've read too many stories about SE Asian tourists getting convicted of non-violent crimes and facing insane sentences. I refuse to believe these guys will spend much time in jail. They may be "held" for a while. Sounds like their justice system is slower than ours. But I'd be fairly surprised if they're not back on American soil by Thanksgiving.
My initial thought would be to agree. You'd have to be really, really stupid to do something like this and I would have to think they were given a specific talk about what not to do in China. Something just doesn't sound right.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Something's fishy. Maybe these kids were targeted somehow? I've read too many stories about SE Asian tourists getting convicted of non-violent crimes and facing insane sentences. I refuse to believe these guys will spend much time in jail. They may be "held" for a while. Sounds like their justice system is slower than ours. But I'd be fairly surprised if they're not back on American soil by Thanksgiving.
They admitted to it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Statfreak77 wrote:
They admitted to it.
Link? If that’s true, this may not be as simple as I anticipated.
azdoubledown

Post by azdoubledown »

Statfreak77 wrote:
They admitted to it.
Was the admission given freely? I wouldn't put it past the jackbooted commie police there to coerce an admission out of 3 scared freshman to score international points in the midst of a POTUS visit.

I also wouldn't put it past these 3 to do something this stupid but damn if true that would be colossally stupid.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
My initial thought would be to agree. You'd have to be really, really stupid to do something like this and I would have to think they were given a specific talk about what not to do in China. Something just doesn't sound right.
I have learned not to underestimate stupidity as a proximate cause of many life situations.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Li'Angelo's father is Lavar. Has he not suffered enough? His sentence should just be that he goes on being Lavar's son. That's about as severe a punishment I've ever heard of.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azdoubledown wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:
They admitted to it.
Was the admission given freely?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Think about the flaw in your question.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Each stole a pair of sunglasses
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

3 players released on bail but the team left them behind in Hangzhou for legal proceedings. Team went to Shanghai(2hr drive)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:3 players released on bail but the team left them behind in Hangzhou for legal proceedings. Team went to Shanghai(2hr drive)
Somebody send Gelo a rock hammer and a poster of Raquel Welch!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wow. If true, they fucked.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid.
azdoubledown

Post by azdoubledown »

SCCats wrote:
azdoubledown wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:
They admitted to it.

do you need me to draw you a picture in crayons how police in places like China and NoKo can coerce a confession?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I see Larry Scott's strategy to market the Pac-12 to China is really paying off.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Maybe Larry can show his worth and get the Trial to be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network? He can get Bill Walton to do the Commentary :)
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azdoubledown wrote:
SCCats wrote:
azdoubledown wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:
They admitted to it.

do you need me to draw you a picture in crayons how police in places like China and NoKo can coerce a confession?
You can draw all the crayon drawings you'd like.

And if you were in an American court that crayon drawing and the question of whether the authorities coerced a confession would be a question that would be looked at.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

MrBug708 wrote:Each stole a pair of sunglasses

Kids these days eh. :lol:
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Now being reported they won't be allowed to go home with the team and have to remain in China for at least a month.

https://scout.com/college/ucla/Article/ ... -110144783" target="_blank
Last edited by UofAlum05 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yikes
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Honestly, the Chinese will probably sensationalize it and make the kids do some public broadcasted apology. The punishment will be persona non grata for them in regards to China. Chinese party members are corrupt too. Probably have to pay some bribes and then get the kids deported. Don't know how long that will take.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Stupid stupid stupid.

Uclas season is down the tubes before it even began:
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

In all seriousness. I honestly think the NCAA/Pac-12 should consider cancelling this week's game and get the remaining teams back to the United States.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UofAlum05 wrote:Now being reported they won't be allowed to go home with the team and have to remain in China for at least a month.

On the upside, Larry Scott did want to build the Pac 12's international ties and he has three ambassadors with a lot of time on their hands.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Sooo...

After over 40 posts in the bribery thread from Russ Smith, lecturing us about what the situation really is (cause he's so smart and connected compared to us rubes), and nary a peep about this situation...hmm...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:Now being reported they won't be allowed to go home with the team and have to remain in China for at least a month.

On the upside, Larry Scott did want to build the Pac 12's international ties and he has three ambassadors with a lot of time on their hands.
Next week on the Pac-12 Network...."Locked up abroad: UCLA Basketball Edition"
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UAdevil wrote:Sooo...

After over 40 posts in the bribery thread from Russ Smith, lecturing us about what the situation really is (cause he's so smart and connected compared to us rubes), and nary a peep about this situation...hmm...
What's there to say? They stole it, copped to it, and we are waiting for them to make it back to the US. I
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:

What's there to say? They stole it, copped to it, and we are waiting for them to make it back to the US. I
Are we allowed to play the song "The Future's so Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades" during player intros for the Bruins?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

Are we allowed to play the song "The Future's so Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades" during player intros for the Bruins?
Either that or China Grove.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

The Russ analog would be if I were to register a new account at BRO or Bruin Nation and post a glut of opinion there...I respect the members of those sites enough to not do that. I'd be run out of town so fast if I went there and delivered my 'wisdom' as Russ did here. Rival opinions are cool, and very welcome, but Russ joined here just to put us in our place, in his passive aggressive way, and is now absent when turmoil is affecting HIS team.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Like they said in the 80s, if you cant do the time dont do the crime
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

Why not? They played "Oklahoma!!" During the thunder intros at the kings game last night.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:

Good point. If we were to take a peek at any Bruin message board today, there's probably hardly any chatter about this whatsoever. What's there to say?

Heh!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

First, China is NOT SE Asia....get a map Dude. Second, I highly doubt that the Chinese targeted these dumbass kids with their celebrity status. Third, I wouldn’t be surprised if they got something light but it sounds like they’ve already admitted their guilt from the initial Police interviews.....I also bet they have CCTV on this as well.

In any case, they will face serious ramifications both there and here for this dumbass stunt.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
First, China is NOT SE Asia....get a map Dude. Second, I highly doubt that the Chinese targeted these dumbass kids with their celebrity status. Third, I wouldn’t be surprised if they got something light but it sounds like they’ve already admitted their guilt from the initial Police interviews.....I also bet they have CCTV on this as well.

In any case, they will face serious ramifications both there and here for this dumbass stunt.
There are obvious similarities between/among the cultures of justice and law enforcement in China and those in some SE Asian countries. That's all I'm saying. So I'm gonna pass on your advice for now. Dude.

But we digress...these guys have to be punished somehow. I don't think they should do hard time in a Chinese prison, but then, I don't know what kind of local laws they're alleged to have broken (besides shoplifting). I'm not a lawyer, but I believe you're subject to the laws of the place you're in, right?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

Good point. If we were to take a peek at any Bruin message board today, there's probably hardly any chatter about this whatsoever. What's there to say?

Heh!
Wanna bet? Oh..