Tourney Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

U.P. Zona Fan

Re: Tourney Thread

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Bill self needs to go back to adidas to get a cash infusion, get some better players.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

In come the walkons
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

This is delightful. Oh Fuegs...Worst tourney loss, and to a middling P12 team no less.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

USC/Oregon will be fun.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I bet Kansas is wishing they had a self post season ban right about now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bill Self just got a non-consensual butt fucking on national television and I loved every second of it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

SC could have beaten Gonzaga tonight.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:49 pm Bill Self just got a non-consensual butt fucking on national television and I loved every second of it.
Only thing missing was the ass-less chaps.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well of course the tourney would screw the PAC by making two teams play in the sweet 16. USC and Oregon are probably our best PAC 12 teams to make it to the final 4 but I think UCLA has a good path also. Would have liked to see all 4 teams in different brackets.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:50 pm SC could have beaten Gonzaga tonight.
I'd love to think that but, I'm not sure 85 points is enough.
-Norlander.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:50 pm
Chicat wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:49 pm Bill Self just got a non-consensual butt fucking on national television and I loved every second of it.
Sent a diehard Kansas fan a note that this is probably the end of seeing Kansas in the tourney for awhile or Bill Self ever coach another game for the Hawks. Yes I can be cruel.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:50 pm
Snoop's got 'em.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Ouch
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I am about to lose my shit. ESPN reseeded the sweet 16 and you know what ranking they gave pac-12 teams? After the PAC beating much higher seeds by huge numbers they saw fit to rank the PAC 12 teams....you ready for it?
12,13,14 and 15. But ranked Loyola 5, FSU 7 and drum roll Syr 8.
This is about who they have contracts with not how they think those teams would do matched up with those PAC teams.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Guys correct me if I'm wrong but the guy that called time out for Luka Garza to be recognized by fans was Dana Altman. Iowa had no timeouts left and I think Altman looked down at Iowa coach and called timeout. Anyone notice that?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:36 am Guys correct me if I'm wrong but the guy that called time out for Luka Garza to be recognized by fans was Dana Altman. Iowa had no timeouts left and I think Altman looked down at Iowa coach and called timeout. Anyone notice that?
I thought Oregon let the shot clock run out. In the play trackers on Yahoo & CBS there is no timeout taken between Garza’s last foul with 35 seconds left and Oregon’s shot clock turnover with 15 seconds left.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:56 am I am about to lose my shit. ESPN reseeded the sweet 16 and you know what ranking they gave pac-12 teams? After the PAC beating much higher seeds by huge numbers they saw fit to rank the PAC 12 teams....you ready for it?
12,13,14 and 15. But ranked Loyola 5, FSU 7 and drum roll Syr 8.
This is about who they have contracts with not how they think those teams would do matched up with those PAC teams.
Yeah, that reseeding piece was ridiculous. I just wonder where Iowa or Kansas would have been if they didn't get blown out. I'm sure it wouldn't have been below Oral Roberts, Syracuse, Loyola, FSU, etc.

But in the end it doesn't matter and never will until the Pac12 conference starts actively promoting its teams. We need an active commissioner who isn't afraid to mix it up and call out this kind of disrespect publicly. I mean Larry should be shaming the shit out of ESPN, what would it honestly hurt? They already don't respect the conference.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone think the winner of Oregon/USC can break Gonzaga’s heart?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:07 am Anyone think the winner of Oregon/USC can break Gonzaga’s heart?
If Oregon and USC can continue their high level of play that we have seen so far in the tourney, they both can absolutely give Gonzaga a scare.

I really wish Oregon and USC were in separate regions because both of these teams have legit shots to make a real run.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Totally agree. It sucks that Oregon and SC are not in separate brackets because they are playing lights out.

But it should be a heck of a game as they know each other.

It’s a toss up, but if both are playing at their peak I think the ducks have more versatility to beat the Zags. Mobley could be the Danny Manning of the Tourney but he could also get into foul trouble which concerns me.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

If anyone wants to chip in I found the perfect present for Enfuego to help him through these difficult times:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1897795757
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Been reading up on Bama and watching their recent highlights. UCLA has their work cut out.

I know the Ducks and Trojans are both red hot, but I still think the Zags reach the FF. Their D is suspect at times, but they just find a way to win.

No idea what's gonna happen with Oregon State, but they're the Pac team I'm most rooting for.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:07 am Anyone think the winner of Oregon/USC can break Gonzaga’s heart?
The real issue is the grouping of the top 3 West Coast teams in the tournament -- only one is going to come out of that bracket.

There are no Pac 12 teams in the South regional and only Oregon State in the Midwest. Grouping Oregon & USC as 6 & 7 seeds in the same region is just plain stupid.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think Bama and most of the teams left in the tourney have not faced a team that plays hard defense for the entire game. I think this is why the PAC is winning. The PAC teams had to step up their defense to compete in the conference. I worry abit about UCLA and Oregon States ability to score as much as they are going to be required to.

Just saw Bilas on sports center with the topic of the PAC teams that made it. He completely dismissed them other than saying it is a shame USC has to play Oregon. He said they could call themselves conference of champions or whatever (dismissive). He talked about Alabama, Michigan path forward and Gonzaga.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:30 am I think Bama and most of the teams left in the tourney have not faced a team that plays hard defense for the entire game. I think this is why the PAC is winning. The PAC teams had to step up their defense to compete in the conference. I worry abit about UCLA and Oregon State's ability to score as much as they are going to be required to.

Just saw Bilas on sports center with the topic of the PAC teams that made it. He completely dismissed them other than saying it is a shame USC has to play Oregon. He said they could call themselves conference of champions or whatever (dismissive). He talked about Alabama, Michigan path forward and Gonzaga.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Also interesting was no questions about whether the reason Kansas got killed was the pending NCAA investigation and did that have any effect. No one has dealt with the attacks that Arizona has. This is when that question should have been asked.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I watched all of the Loyola / Illinois game.... and damn Loyola is a tough team. They aren't going to be outhustled. They have a legit shot of getting to a Final 4.... I think they will beat Oregon St in a gritty game
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:30 am I think Bama and most of the teams left in the tourney have not faced a team that plays hard defense for the entire game. I think this is why the PAC is winning. The PAC teams had to step up their defense to compete in the conference. I worry abit about UCLA and Oregon States ability to score as much as they are going to be required to.

Mick Cronin had some good thoughts on the whole bias against the Pac in that the Left Coast was shutdown all summer. Player development was halted (weights, training, etc...) and that's why the Pac struggled early in the season and didn't have any memorable wins. Oregon lost to Missouri to open the season. If you watched Oregon play yesterday -- they look like a top 2 seed -- but maybe playing a slow ass team like Iowa makes everyone look like the '87 Lakers.

Jay Bilas is all about the "eye test" and yet still dismissive of the Pac. My eyes told me yesterday that 7-seed Oregon totally manhandled 2-seed Iowa from the Big 10. And 6-seed USC dominated 3-seed Kansas from the Big 12. Those games were ridiculously lopsided affairs. I mean, Iowa and Kansas were downright humbled.

Even UCLA took apart an outmatched Abilene-Christian with ease. ACU played their asses off but the Bruins just weren't having it and were so superior. That same ACU team couldn't match up with Texas either but imposed their will on Shaka's Horns. Some pretty good coaching in the Pac 12 -- all the teams are playing really, really hard.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There are two entities with a vested interest in making the public believe that what the PAC has done is a total fluke.

One is the selection committee who wants you to believe they watched every game in detail no matter where or when it was played.

The other is ESPN who definitely does not want you to think, “hmmm the Pac-12 is pretty good, I should figure out a way to watch their conference games next year...”.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:34 am Also interesting was no questions about whether the reason Kansas got killed was the pending NCAA investigation and did that have any effect. No one has dealt with the attacks that Arizona has. This is when that question should have been asked.
Kansas was clearly not the quality of what we've come to expect and yeah, the NCAA situation was probably why.

Since they got implicated, they haven't had a top 10 recruiting class. Before they got implicated, the 5 previous seasons were 3 top ten classes, an 11 and 16.

Their best players this year were almost all 2018 class members or before, which is an issue going forward for them. Wilson and Braun are the only contributing underclassmen on a down team for them.

If McCormack and Agbaji leave, they have a real dearth of talent in the program right now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So many of the teams were over seeded, KU being one of them. In fact, between the B1G and the BIG 12 you could make the argument that the committee went on hype rather than substance. I get it was a difficult year to get a bead on these teams but man were they off by a lot IMO
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I don't know how reliable KenPom is this year because of COVID and limited OOC games and pauses, etc...

Arizona is currently 31 overall.

6. USC
10. Colorado
17. Oregon
24. UCLA
50. Oregon State.
67. Michigan State
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:53 pm I don't know how reliable KenPom is this year because of COVID and limited OOC games and pauses, etc...

Arizona is currently 31 overall.

6. USC
10. Colorado
17. Oregon
24. UCLA
50. Oregon State.
67. Michigan State
That's why I do think we were in the tourney if not banned. All the metrics put us in.

Kenpom is looking good as a tourney predictor too. 12 of the KenPom top 20 are in the Sweet 16. Only UCLA, Syracuse and Oregon State are outaide that...plus Oral Roberts, who only exists to defy the odds.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:34 am There are two entities with a vested interest in making the public believe that what the PAC has done is a total fluke.

One is the selection committee who wants you to believe they watched every game in detail no matter where or when it was played.

The other is ESPN who definitely does not want you to think, “hmmm the Pac-12 is pretty good, I should figure out a way to watch their conference games next year...”.
PAC-12 does good in tournament

Media: "The tournament isn't an indication of how good a team is."

SEC, B1G, ACC does good in the tournament

Media: "This shows how spot on we were in ranking these schools."
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Media picks are never wrong. Ever. If a team doesn't meet expectations -- it's the team's fault. It's never a case of the media with their collective heads up their asses making a really bad pick.

Media: picks ASU as Final Four contender and Pac 12 runner-up.
UA Fans: ASU is overrated, lost Romello White and will have no interior D and rebounding
ASU: shits the bed
Media: ASU disappointed and failed to meet expectations
UA Fans: told ya so
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well the media was sure dead on picking Oregon State.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:59 am Been reading up on Bama and watching their recent highlights. UCLA has their work cut out.

I know the Ducks and Trojans are both red hot, but I still think the Zags reach the FF. Their D is suspect at times, but they just find a way to win.

No idea what's gonna happen with Oregon State, but they're the Pac team I'm most rooting for.
Bloody lazy committee, there's only 5 pac 12 teams in the tourney and they put two of them to meet in the sweet 16. Pot lickers!
They only also did that with the big 10 that had 9 bids and there wasn't much choice.
Ok I'm done.

Loyola is for real, so oregon state is gonna have to have their best game of the tournament for that game.

This isn't oklahoma st.

Gonna have to gird their loins
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:21 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:59 am Been reading up on Bama and watching their recent highlights. UCLA has their work cut out.

Bloody lazy committee, there's only 5 pac 12 teams in the tourney and they put two of them to meet in the sweet 16. Pot lickers!
They only also did that with the big 10 that had 9 bids and there wasn't much choice.
Ok I'm done.

Loyola is for real, so oregon state is gonna have to have their best game of the tournament for that game.

This isn't oklahoma st.

Hey, look at it like this. Pac is guaranteed an Elite Eight appearance.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:21 pm
Ok I'm done.

This isn't oklahoma st.

Yeah, kinda think OSU is done vs. Loyola. Whatever happens, this season is already historic for the Beavs. Anything beyond this is otherworldly for them.

I like the Ducks over USC.

Bama over UCLA.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

USC might be the absolute worst match up for Oregon. USC has the athletes snd length to give them fits. I think that’s why USC drilled them in LA. Expect a better performance from the quacks but I think USC rolls on
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:23 am USC might be the absolute worst match up for Oregon. USC has the athletes snd length to give them fits. I think that’s why USC drilled them in LA. Expect a better performance from the quacks but I think USC rolls on
SC's length is a problem for anyone. They're tough because they're long but still mobile and quick. So, you have to handle the size, but it's hard to use smaller lineups to gash them off the dribble.

It's one reason we beat them in LA. We're one of the few teams that doesn't have to be scared of their size. Evan Mobley's special, but Koloko, Brown and Tubelis were as well suited to match up with him as anyone.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

You guys may be taking Altman too lightly. I know USC's got size, but the Ducks have got a much more experienced, competent leader.

Should be a good game.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Oregon vs. USC should be very good.

Very good matchup -- slight edge to USC on the court.

On the bench: Altman > Enfield
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

USC is peaking right now... should be an excellent game
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:29 am You guys may be taking Altman too lightly. I know USC's got size, but the Ducks have got a much more experienced, competent leader.

Should be a good game.
Altman is a good coach, but I think SC presents too many issues for Oregon. Oregon beat Iowa because Iowa was too big/slow, but SC isn't slow.

SC beat them handily during the season. It's the tourney, so watch me be dead wrong, but I'm fairly heavy SC right now.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I think USC wins this one but I'm concerned about their FT shooting so far.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

FT shooting is important. Ask UCLA on their season losses.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So the pac might be completely gone by the final 4 but it is the biggest topic of conversation by the college sports national talk show hosts.

Glad we are getting our week in the sun. Next biggest is how badly the B1G performed. Then how curmudgeonly Jim Boeheim is even though his son is like the best player in the tournament this far.

It's funny how much of the pre tournament conversation was about whether Duke was getting in or not. Now they are talking about how great the pac 12 is and what it would have been like if Arizona hadn't self sanctioned and there was another team in the tournament. Just a total 180.
-Norlander.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:11 pm So the pac might be completely gone by the final 4 but it is the biggest topic of conversation by the college sports national talk show hosts.

Glad we are getting our week in the sun. Next biggest is how badly the B1G performed. Then how curmudgeonly Jim Boeheim is even though his son is like the best player in the tournament this far.

It's funny how much of the pre tournament conversation was about whether Duke was getting in or not. Now they are talking about how great the pac 12 is and what it would have been like if Arizona hadn't self sanctioned and there was another team in the tournament. Just a total 180.
That talk won't last unless the Pac gets at least one team into the FF.

By next year, the Pac could regress a little overall because of roster attrition. ESPN sets the bar very high for the Pac compared to other conferences. That's just the way it is.