Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by SCCats »

:lol:

"6/24."

"When can you start? Please don't turn us down."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I mean it's not a super bad hire. He has been to the tournament 9 years in a row at Cincinnati, but all he has to show for it is 2 conference titles and 1 sweet 16.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Agree, not a bad hire, pretty consistent.

Meanwhile Ben Howland has turned Mississippi State around and returned the NCAAs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Cronin is roughly the same as Dixon. Both have had sustained success at second tier programs.

Good opportunity for Cronin, and UCLA can finally turn the page.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

eeek
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Cronin is a colossal asshole and runs the worst offenses in all of college basketball. First to 50 in AZ/UCLA games wins.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller Cronin knife fight?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

NYCat wrote:UCLA falls backwards into Mick Cronin, everyone laughs, then Cronin kills it there and becomes one of the best coaches they have ever had.
Do you think that really happens? Is he really much of an upgrade over Alford? It is UCLA, and he will undoubtedly get some of the elite So. Cal recruits (Alford certainly did), but who knows if he is going to create an elite program. Still, it isn't a bad hire.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Even Steve Lavin would have been an upgrade over Alford
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

At least his hair is better than Alford's butt cut.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Who the fuck is Mick Cronin?
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

All things considered, this isn't a complete failure by UCLA. I'm enthused actually.

Cronin will have UCLA back to a respectable form, and he'll have command of the locker room. Between Miller, Hopkins, Altman, Hurley, Haase, Cronin, Larry K, Boyle... we've now got a pretty respectable collection of coaches. Hopefully the lull in the Pac-12's performance is over and we can return to form as a conference.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Newportcat wrote:Who the fuck is Mick Cronin?

I think he sang "Riding the Storm Out".
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Newportcat wrote:Who the fuck is Mick Cronin?
:lol:

I mean, yeah, but the reality is that he's been having success at Cincy. This is right in line with where UCLA's been making their hires. Even Howland wasn't terribly expensive. UCLA hires second tier coaches or up-and-comers. The elite recruits will always come. It'll just be a question of what Cronin can do over the next five years.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can Mick convince the kids he now has access to that playing defense will get them to the NBA?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

My take:

UCLA will be a much better coached team under Cronin than it was under Alford. With that being said the results will look exactly the same.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

at least it isn't mark fox. go bears. :(
*defeated trombone sound*
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:My take:

UCLA will be a much better coached team under Cronin than it was under Alford. With that being said the results will look exactly the same.
I wonder how long before Cronin has the knives out for the media and boosters.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Now to get Cumberland in..
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Cronin plays a physical style of basketball and I like watching physical basketball.

The Pac 12 refs might foul out half his team by the 2nd media timeout.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

midnightx wrote:
NYCat wrote:UCLA falls backwards into Mick Cronin, everyone laughs, then Cronin kills it there and becomes one of the best coaches they have ever had.
Do you think that really happens? Is he really much of an upgrade over Alford? It is UCLA, and he will undoubtedly get some of the elite So. Cal recruits (Alford certainly did), but who knows if he is going to create an elite program. Still, it isn't a bad hire.
It'll depend on his recruiting, Howland ascended with semi decent recruits, not elite talent. Guys like Kevin Love came later, but even someone like Westbrook was a 3*. He started recruiting 5*s and started emphasizing defense less and then he collapsed. Cronin, like Miller has to recruit for his style. Unfortunately going after the 5*s is too enticing, especially in LA, he can land top talent just because it's UCLA. Sometimes a loss makes you change things for the better, sometimes -like Howland- you learn the wrong lesson.

You can't be a tough UC-esque team with the AAU 5* kids in California.
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Frybry02 wrote:Cronin plays a physical style of basketball and I like watching physical basketball.

The Pac 12 refs might foul out half his team by the 2nd media timeout.
So his teams will adjust. And then get out-physical'd in the tourney.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

NYCat wrote:
midnightx wrote:
It'll depend on his recruiting, Howland ascended with semi decent recruits, not elite talent. Guys like Kevin Love came later, but even someone like Westbrook was a 3*. He started recruiting 5*s and started emphasizing defense less and then he collapsed. Cronin, like Miller has to recruit for his style. Unfortunately going after the 5*s is too enticing, especially in LA, he can land top talent just because it's UCLA. Sometimes a loss makes you change things for the better, sometimes -like Howland- you learn the wrong lesson.

You can't be a tough UC-esque team with the AAU 5* kids in California.
Westbrook was a single year before Love and was taken because a scholarship opened up.

Howlands first class had 5* Afflalo and Farmar, 4* Shipp and Mata
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

PACE OF PLAY
- The only year he has been in the top 200 for tempo rankings was the first of his career, when he was 59th
-Interestingly, his tempo was basically the same the rest of his time at Murray then his Big East era at Cincy--in the 200s. That's slow, but not ridiculous. Then, literally the first year of the AAC, the tempo plummeted into the 330s. He's been between 328 and 339 the last six seasons. I don't exactly know what it was about the conference move that caused the dip, but it is the most immediately noticeable thing about his kenpom profile

OFFENSE
- 5/16 years rated lower than 100
- Top 50 the last 3 seasons
- The last 3 seasons are easily his best offense

DEFENSE
- Made a leap his 4th year at Cincy (2010) and never looked back. Average ranking before that: 107. Since then: 18
- The last 9 years, he has been out of the Top 25 once (this season--27th)
- Best defense was last season: 2nd in the nation

OVERALL
- Whereas his big defensive leap was 2010, his breakthrough overall was 2011. Before then, average ranking of 94 (to be fair, that includes 3 Murray State years). After, average ranking of 28.
- Only one top 10 (last season), but he's been top 40 every season but one since 2011 (43rd in 2015)
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I mean it's not a super bad hire. He has been to the tournament 9 years in a row at Cincinnati, but all he has to show for it is 2 conference titles and 1 sweet 16.
....and one bitchin' brawl.

Which of Mick's Pac-12 player opponents is gonna make the next "Zip 'em up" speech?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I mean it's not a super bad hire. He has been to the tournament 9 years in a row at Cincinnati, but all he has to show for it is 2 conference titles and 1 sweet 16.

Which of Mick's Pac-12 player opponents is gonna make the next "Zip 'em up" speech?
I just don't think Cronin's style of play is gonna fly in LA.

We. Shall. See.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We've now got at least three coaches in the Pac who prioritize defense above all else: Miller, Hopkins and now Cronin.

This seems to contrast what we see from Hurley and Altman. Not sure where Enfield, Boyle and Krystkowiak belong.

Regardless of how UCLA does, Cronin has a distinctive personality and vibe, so it's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. They're losing Wilkes and Hands but gaining a healthy O'Neal and that PG who was injured this past season.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dovecanyoncat wrote:

Hell yeah that’s what I was thinking about. Did miller and cronin overlap much? Cincy and Xavier hate each other.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Beachcat97 wrote:We've now got at least three coaches in the Pac who prioritize defense above all else: Miller, Hopkins and now Cronin.

This seems to contrast what we see from Hurley and Altman. Not sure where Enfield, Boyle and Krystkowiak belong.

Regardless of how UCLA does, Cronin has a distinctive personality and vibe, so it's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. They're losing Wilkes and Hands but gaining a healthy O'Neal and that PG who was injured this past season.
any players / recruits expected to follow him out west?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

dirtbags wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:We've now got at least three coaches in the Pac who prioritize defense above all else: Miller, Hopkins and now Cronin.

Only commit is a 3* SG recruited only by Ohio schools.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dirtbags wrote:

He does have the POTY from Ohio committed. Much more interested in Cumberland as a Grad transfer
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

dirtbags wrote:at least it isn't mark fox. go bears. :(
*defeated trombone sound*
That is now officially in the dictionary under the entry "Womp Womp."

Was there a hire that UCLA AD wouldn't have been officially "thrilled" with? Maybe Murry Bartow? Too bad, because he got better results and would've been far cheaper.

As for my response:

[Hypnotized SNL extras]"I loved it. Much better than 'Cats'. I'm going to see Mick again and again."[/Hypnotized SNL extras]
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

More and more mocks are projecting Moses Brown to leave. First task for Cronin is to re-recruit his roster.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Not to be a dick as I know many of you guys dislike me but no one has bothered to answer my question which I find a bit rude

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Newportcat wrote:Not to be a dick as I know many of you guys dislike me but no one has bothered to answer my question which I find a bit rude

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mick+cronin" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azgreg wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Not to be a dick as I know many of you guys dislike me but no one has bothered to answer my question which I find a bit rude

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mick+cronin" target="_blank
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

TCU refused to change the language to allow UCLA to pay the buyout to them directly, and instead were going to force us to pay Dixon and have him pay the buyout to them. Dixon would have then had to pay taxes on $8-10M in income he was just re-routing to TCU. Probably a $4M hit.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Sounds like TCU had the more shrewd, take no prisoners negotiator.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Mick Cronin is the coach at cincinatti, before that he coached at Murray St. He's a good coach, for some reason I feel he's firey as hell, not sure how hard he is on kids. He might hurt a bunch of feelings and lose his locker room in LA.

He gets tough kids that play tough D. We will see what he gets off the west coast. He's gonna hate our refs. And get tossed from a bunch of games till he figures out you have to put your hands behind your back while you cuss out the refs. Ala Bobby Hurley, who I've heard St John's is looking at.

Edit: ha heard the hurley bit here.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Dave

Post by Dave »

4 million a year for Cronin sounds expensive.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Dave wrote:4 million a year for Cronin sounds expensive.
But only six years.

Sounds expensive to me too.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

He's cheaper than Dixon or Barnes.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Mick Cronin is a nobody

Awful hire for UCLA. All that money for a nobody
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Newportcat wrote:Mick Cronin is a nobody

The sports media is singing a very different tune. The LA Times is positively jubilant over the hiring.

Cronin is a low-risk hire, imo. He's less expensive than the others they courted first, and he's unlikely to do worse than Alford.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Cronin is a solid coach who has consistently overachieved. If he can recruit well, which UCLA certainly allows, he should do fine.

He's light years better than Alford as a coach.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That seems like such a LA response, style over substance. Cronin is a solid teacher of basketball. His teams play very hard, are tough on the glass and play great defense. A big plus is that he wanted the job from the outset. While he was not their top choice I think the bruins got a good one
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:

That seems like such a LA response, style over substance.
Not really, though. Here's the LA Times today: https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mi ... story.html" target="_blank
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I'm happy that Cronin seems like a generally well respected and good guy. The praise for him, especially from Ohio media, seems impressive. I know he is consider a hard ass but his players all seem to love him and he doesn't seem to have an inordinate amount of transfers considering his style
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Considering career accomplishments for Alford vs. Cronin it is Tweedle Dee vs. Tweedle Dum. Between them they have been at it for 40 years at the D1 level with not as much as one Elite Eight to show for it.