UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Illinois v. Trollops. groan. How does one hate a pair of teams more than these?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

DIE TROLLOPS!! DIE! DIE! FUCKING DIE!!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well at least the talk of their all world freshman center and one and done freshman guard is on hold for now. Ill. who killed them yesterday was handled fairly easy by Virginia. This is Mic's deepest team ever according to him. Well then it must be coaching.
I never could understand the pass he got last year as an overwhelming favorite and lost both the PAC by multiple games and PAC tourney to a 5th rated conference team. Mic's biggest problem is going to be his surprise run to the final four. Coaches with high expectations that disappoint are the most vulnerable.
We will have our own challenges this week and it will be interesting to see how we fair.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

After watching Cronin tear into Sideshow Bob late in yesterday's game, it was interesting reading about his post-game tirade in the locker room about their defense, and how they care more about their offensive stats. Well, he recruited them. He also coaches that defense, and the words I'd use to describe it would be: talk, bump, grab, push, hook, hack, complain, flop, and whine...in roughly that order. Even in the pussywillow Pac-12, the refs get desensitized to it, and they're also nervous about their double-dipping livelihoods if they make the league's "premier program" (as annointed by Kliavkoff with exquisite timing) unhappy. So outside refs didn't buy it, and neither will the Big Ten. Tough. If you're an 8th grade coach, you can answer recruiting e-mails and roll out the ball for the resulting 5 best position players at UCLA, then win 20, and make the NCAAs. But, of course, the LA media pimps them for the national title, so here we are with the emperor's new clothes. Meanwhile, compare them to the other top teams televised yesterday: Gonzaga, Baylor, Houston, and Kentucky. They all looked a lot more like "team" than "I". Maybe that's why UCLA averages 7K in 12K Pauley Pavilion. So they've had a bad couple of weeks...may they have many more this school year and next.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... 84ef5027ef

Men's Basketball AP Poll: Despite Two Wins, UCLA Slips Amid Chaos
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Another overrated ucla team. Deja vu.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Good start vs Stanford, 17-0. Starting conference play on the road is never easy, but going 1-0 is the goal.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UCLA is playing Maryland tonight at 6 pst on FS1. Should be interesting.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Maryland is flat out horrible. They are very poorly coached and they might have the worst transition defense I have ever seen. UCLA is going to run them out of the building
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

UCLA basketball is going to own that conference if today's game is any indication.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am looking forward to the UA/UCLA games this season. UCLA's "A game" is one of the best I've seen this season. It's good to see UA/UCLA back is the two best teams in the conference. Too bad UCLA is leaving. There isn't any team left for UA, in the long term, to seriously battle for top of the conference.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:43 pm UCLA basketball is going to own that conference if today's game is any indication.
:lol:

Might wanna run this past Matt Painter and Brad Underwood. Illinois easily defeated ucla last month.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UCLA played well but Maryland is NOT a top 20 team. They could not hit open shots and were a turnover machine. UCLA was playing the passing lanes well and if they ever criticize Kerr (which I do) for his antics you should make them watch their actions in this game.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:43 pm UCLA basketball is going to own that conference if today's game is any indication.
It was definitely a fun game to watch! Hopefully the Kentucky game goes similar!
Last edited by MrBug708 on Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I do hope UCLA and AZ can find a way to play a few home and home series in the future as UCLA really is our true rival
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Nice win for UCLA
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

They look pretty damn good. Going to be a slugfest when we face off.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Right now UCLA and UConn are playing the best basketball in the country, at least in the last couple weeks. Very impressive play
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:52 pm Right now UCLA and UConn are playing the best basketball in the country, at least in the last couple weeks. Very impressive play
UCONN has looked really good, but you're telling me I should be sold on UCL because they beat back to back overrated teams? Maryland is not good at all, and Kentucky is just meh this year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agree Maryland was terrible and poorly coached but there is a lot to like with UCLA. Clark is an outstanding defensive player and TC runs that point very well. Jaquez is a match up nightmare and comes up big in the biggest games. I think we do match up well with them but their execution of what they run right now is outstanding.

Note I didn’t say they were the best in the country, I said they were playing the best in the country right now
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

You must have written this before they scored 28 points in the second half against Kentucky.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

What I would say about UCLA is they run way to much one on one stuff and a kick to Singleton when stopped. I don't think we match up well with them and I don't think they match up well with us. Against Maryland they tipped every pass and jumped the passing lanes. Not sure where Maryland really fits because they have been both up and down.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sellout crowd, rivals at home with a blueout, blowing them out in the first half, and you deliver that performance in the second half. Probably deserved to lose but glad for the win. Was supposed to be at the game but hit the COVID lottery again.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Not sure what to hope for, if ASU wins, UCLA loses which is good, the only thing is if UCLA gets beat by the gerbils, do they take their ire out on us? Almost want them to win comfortably tonight so they are lackadaisical on saturday.

I guess, when in doubt, down with the gerbils.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Interesting question for sure. Just thinking that if UCLA were to win the conference I would tip my cap and say well deserved. If ASSU was to win it I would he sick for a long while.

We always say UCLA is our biggest rival and I assume that is true in years (which is almost every year) in which the scum suck. This year, not so much. Go bruins and we will take care of our own business with them
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Down go the gerbils
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

If the Bruins win Saturday the conference race is over before it is half over.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Jaylen Clark is probably the best man defender UCLA has had in quite some time. Shame that Bailey won't be available for the game, but it's the way it goes.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:41 pm Another overrated ucla team. Deja vu.
This win streak has been made possible by RC97! Good luck on Saturday, but I think the bigs for Arizona are just too much for us to handle and Kerr leads the Wildcats to victory!
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

UCLA has won 14 in a row. We will need to bring our A game. Another national TV game. Noon Saturday on ABC.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

We couldn't end ASU's win streak, so let's just end UCLA's.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UCLA is very, very good.

Yes, we will need to bring our A+ game on Saturday.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

It would make me absolutely cry if UCLA went 20 - 0 in the Pac the year before they jet to the Big.

For the sake of all things sacred in sport, we must, MUST take them down!!!!

Actually think they have another year with us, but the point stands!!
-Norlander.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The defense has been souling crushingly good lately. The offense is prone to some major lapses at times, especially without Bailey, so I dont think 20-0 is in danger of falling.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Tyger is just an all world college level PG. he will not turn it over and in a tight game going into that last 4 minute stretch it’s advantage UCLA.

I happen to think this race for the conference crown is already over, even if we win this Saturday. We will need to play by far our best game of the year this Saturday
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Of course
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

MrBug708 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:45 am The defense has been souling crushingly good lately. The offense is prone to some major lapses at times, especially without Bailey, so I dont think 20-0 is in danger of falling.
That's twice you've gone for the reverse jinx. I know what you're up to.

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:10 am
MrBug708 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:45 am The defense has been souling crushingly good lately. The offense is prone to some major lapses at times, especially without Bailey, so I dont think 20-0 is in danger of falling.
That's twice you've gone for the reverse jinx. I know what you're up to.
No jinx needed. Good win for you guys. We hit a whole lot of back iron and it just wasn't our day.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

You guys hit a helluva lot more than iron I would say. ;)

Tough slugfest. Bruins are going to be a tough out.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Whiny bitch forgot the fouls on Tubelis and Larrson near end of the game.

Looks who is posting! Miss RT herself.
TheCatInTheHat

They REALLY Wanted That One

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Speaking of whiny bitches, Bolch trotted out "foul disparity" and excessive traveling calls that "disrupted" UCLA's offense. So, for the team he performs adoring public relations on, please just don't call them for the ridiculous number of actual fouls they commit under Cronin...or for traveling. Or for the moving screens. Or for the flops. I'm sure they'll get back to receiving the full star treatment they expect in the rematch at Pauley; but such is life in the Pac-12.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It's a if Pac-12 refs don't give a fuck about moving screens anymore. Back in he day all Ira Lee had to do was be on the floor when the clock started and he was called for one no matter what the play or where he was. Now .... nobody in stripes gives a fuck.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Moving screens have gone the way of what constitutes a catch in the NFL.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

The only reason UCLA made it as close as they did was because the refs completely ignored the intentional fouling to stop the clock that they were doing.

Never seen that before in my life. Two Bruins fouled Larsson 5 times trying to get a clock stoppage and Tony Padilla stood there like he was filming a gangbang only to follow it up with a ridiculous 5-second call. It was if he had money or a trip to Cancun riding on the game.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So was that the last UCLA v uofa game at mckale?
-Norlander.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:34 pm So was that the last UCLA v uofa game at mckale?
Been trying to figure that out. I’m guessing UCLA basketball’s move will happen after next season season ends but the spring sports will start their seasons in the B1G. If that’s the case, they get one more visit to Tucson. Hope we send them out losers.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

With unbalanced schedule… UCLA does not come to Tucson next year

This was their last game at McKale for a long time

Sucks

I love AZ/UCLA rivalry