Oregon: 2007
Oregon State: 1982
Washington: 1953
Washington State: 1941
Cal: 1960
USC: 2001
Stanford: 2001
UCLA: 2008

Arizona: The last 2 and 3 in the last 5 years.

Program is in great hands.
Don't disagree, but all I see in the above is how god-awful our conference has been. ZERO E8s outside of Arizona in the past 7 years. Absolutely horrific. Nothing cool about being the king of the dipshits.
Spaceman Spiff

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:The idea of winning/losing the last game of the year determining the success/failure of said year is beyond my ability to comprehend.

How does a person live life with expectations set like that?
If you ain't first, you're last.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Chicat wrote:
Salty wrote:
azcat34 wrote:Last Elite 8 for all other Pac-12 schools:

Arizona State: 1975
Colorado: 1963
Utah: 1998
Oregon: 2007
Oregon State: 1982
Washington: 1953
Washington State: 1941
Cal: 1960
USC: 2001
Stanford: 2001
UCLA: 2008

Arizona: The last 2 and 3 in the last 5 years.

Program is in great hands.
That's fine and dandy, but Arizona has higher goals and expectations than the rest of the conference.
Are we not achieving those higher goals and expectations? I would think 34 wins, a conference title, a conference tourney title, and an elite 8 is quite the achievement. Unless you're one of those "every year we don't get to the Final Four is a failure" people of course. Then you're just an idiot.
Considering Arizona has had a top five or top ten recruiting class almost every year since Miller has been coach, not finishing as one of the top 4 teams in the country is a disappointment.

I am not happy with the conclusion of this season. I don't consider it a failure, but it certainly wasn't a huge success either. Arizona is not a program that should be competing for success with other PAC-12 programs. We should be looking to match teams like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, etc.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I think it was Chi who said in a different thread that great coaches keep their team within striking distance of the FF on a consistent basis. Actually getting to the FF requires some strokes of luck, and unfortunately, we just haven't gotten a lucky bounce. We haven't made 10 three pointers in single half. We haven't gotten a key foul call in OT. It sucks. But these things aren't Miller's or our players' fault. It's just the nature of this crazy game we love. Miller will keep us within striking distance of the FF, maybe not every year, but certainly every few years. And we'll eventually catch a little luck on that second weekend of the tournament.
In retrospect, with all of our "Will we be the 1 in the West? Will we be the 2?" kvetching prior to the selection show, we should have all been demanding that we be the 7 seed in the East...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Salty

Post by Salty »

Olsondogg wrote:The idea of winning/losing the last game of the year determining the success/failure of said year is beyond my ability to comprehend.

That's the reality of sports.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Salty wrote:

No it's not. It's the reality of obtuse individuals with ridiculous expectations.

I'll play your game Salty, at least for a post. Say we went to the Final 4 and lost. You'd type the same damn thing with different parameters.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty wrote:Considering Arizona has had a top five or top ten recruiting class almost every year since Miller has been coach, not finishing as one of the top 4 teams in the country is a disappointment.

I am not happy with the conclusion of this season. I don't consider it a failure, but it certainly wasn't a huge success either. Arizona is not a program that should be competing for success with other PAC-12 programs. We should be looking to match teams like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, etc.
I am just shocked that this take came from you...

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Salty

Post by Salty »

Olsondogg wrote:
Salty wrote:

No it's not. It's the reality of obtuse individuals with ridiculous expectations.

I'll play your game Salty, at least for a post. Say we went to the Final 4 and lost. You'd type the same damn thing with different parameters.
Absolutely not. The Final Four was the expectation the entire season.

Hell, there was even a hashtag for it. #beardown4indy

I said this before the game against Wisconsin and I'll say it now. I wouldn't have cared in Kentucky axed us by 40+. The Final Four was all I wanted.

The reality is, the final game matters more than anything. Those 5 Buffalo Bills teams that made consecutive Super Bowls, let lost them all, were considered failures. Tom Brady and the Patriots, 18-0, best season in history, are failures because they lost in the Super Bowl.

You bet your ass if Notre Dame beat Kentucky, with the best record of all time, that Kentucky fans would have considered the season a failure.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

If we lost every game in the OOC, every game in the regular season, caught fire in the Pac-12 tourney to catch a bid, and made it to the Final Four = Ultimate Success!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think it's funny that on the one hand Salty thinks that whether you win or lose the last game determines whether a team's season was a success or failure, but at the same time he won't say that Arizona's season was a failure, nor will he call it a success.

Probably realizes that Sean Miller just invited him personally to go root for ASU. I'd like to extend the same invitation.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I think it was Chi who said in a different thread that great coaches keep their team within striking distance of the FF on a consistent basis. Actually getting to the FF requires some strokes of luck, and unfortunately, we just haven't gotten a lucky bounce. We haven't made 10 three pointers in single half. We haven't gotten a key foul call in OT. It sucks. But these things aren't Miller's or our players' fault. It's just the nature of this crazy game we love. Miller will keep us within striking distance of the FF, maybe not every year, but certainly every few years. And we'll eventually catch a little luck on that second weekend of the tournament.
In retrospect, with all of our "Will we be the 1 in the West? Will we be the 2?" kvetching prior to the selection show, we should have all been demanding that we be the 7 seed in the East...
:lol:

As soon as I saw the brackets I said we'd have a better chance of getting to the final four, a better chance of getting to the national title game, and a better chance of winning the national title as either the 2 seed in the south or east.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Chicat wrote:I think it's funny that on the one hand Salty thinks that whether you win or lose the last game determines whether a team's season was a success or failure, but at the same time he won't say that Arizona's season was a failure, nor will he call it a success.

Probably realizes that Sean Miller just invited him personally to go root for ASU. I'd like to extend the same invitation.
You and I simply have different expectations.

I expect the Cats to make the Final Four.

I think Arizona had a solid season that didn't quite meet expectations. That's not a failure, or a success. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Well according to advanced data, Wisconsin and Arizona were both top 4 teams this year. Most of them had both schools in the top 3.

Therefor a top 3-4 team was not going to go to the Final Four before the First Four even happened, and it just so happened to be Arizona due to a 3 point shooting barrage we have never seen before.

It isn't like Arizona has lost to a vastly inferior team in any of the Elite 8's the past 5 times. It is definitely surprising that Arizona hasn't been able to cash in once on a Final Four these last five trips but it is similar to flipping heads on a coin five times in a row. It's not likely, but it's not something that is completely impossible.

One year Arizona will face a lower seed in the Elite 8 or finally win one of these 50/50 games and all of us can finally breath a little easier.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I like that Salty points to UK fans as the barometer of what fans should be like.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

We played Wisconsin, a top 3 team by any measure anywhere. I don't care if we played this past weekend, or the following one...we played a top team in the tournament and lost. Hats off to them.

The idea that if this matchup occurring the following weekend instead of this past one as a measure of success is idiotic.

If you want, complain to the committee who stacked the bracket heavy on one side and made this game the Elite 8 matchup instead of the Final 4. But it was a successful season nonetheless. Losing to an absolutely great Wisconsin team is not a failure by any stretch of any idiots imagination.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Only a raging idiot would think we didn't have a great great year. We didn't lose that game to Wisconsin, they won it with amazing shooting that I doubt has been seen in a tourney game (Nova in beating Gtown didn't go 10-12 from the 3).

We shot 56%, 93% from the line and had only 10 turnovers. We played well but Wisconsin played great. They may just beat Kentucly and win it all.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Only a raging idiot would think we didn't have a great great year. We didn't lose that game to Wisconsin, they won it with amazing shooting that I doubt has been seen in a tourney game (Nova in beating Gtown didn't go 10-12 from the 3).

We shot 56%, 93% from the line and had only 10 turnovers. We played well but Wisconsin played great. They may just beat Kentucly and win it all.
Nah, Wisky will probably go ice cold from 3 just to spite us, then lose by 30.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:We played Wisconsin, a top 3 team by any measure anywhere. I don't care if we played this past weekend, or the following one...we played a top team in the tournament and lost. Hats off to them.

The idea that if this matchup occurring the following weekend instead of this past one as a measure of success is idiotic.

If you want, complain to the committee who stacked the bracket heavy on one side and made this game the Elite 8 matchup instead of the Final 4. But it was a successful season nonetheless. Losing to an absolutely great Wisconsin team is not a failure by any stretch of any idiots imagination.
And only losing to them because they put on an insane shooting barrage the likes of which no one has seen before in the tourney. It took that great Wisconsin team going historically out of their minds from 3 to beat us.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

For me my "expectations" as a program are win the conference, win around 30 games, and get to the second weekend of the tournament and threaten the Final Four. Considering our program history and prestige that is what should be expected we aren't Kentucky or duke and expect the championship every year
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Salty

Post by Salty »

If you guys are happy with Elite 8's, that's you.

I have higher expectations. One Final Four every five years is enough to satisfy me.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not satisfied with anything but Final Fours . . . . . . . . every five years.

That scraping sound you hear is Salty moving the goalposts into the parking lot.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:We didn't lose that game to Wisconsin, they won it with amazing shooting that I doubt has been seen in a tourney game (Nova in beating Gtown didn't go 10-12 from the 3).
Probably because there was no three-point line then. ;)

They did shoot 78.6% though.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Salty

Post by Salty »

Chicat wrote:Not satisfied with anything but Final Fours . . . . . . . . every five years.

That scraping sound you hear is Salty moving the goalposts into the parking lot.
With our talent, the expectation is post season success, and that means the Final Four.

This is not out of line with what major boosters and most fans feel.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:We played Wisconsin, a top 3 team by any measure anywhere. I don't care if we played this past weekend, or the following one...we played a top team in the tournament and lost. Hats off to them.

And only losing to them because they put on an insane shooting barrage the likes of which no one has seen before in the tourney. It took that great Wisconsin team going historically out of their minds from 3 to beat us.

You've found out why I haven't slept well for two nights now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Salty wrote:
Chicat wrote:Not satisfied with anything but Final Fours . . . . . . . . every five years.

With our talent, the expectation is post season success, and that means the Final Four.

BS. I have talked to a few high level rollers and they are disappointed in ot breaking that door down this year but are not at all disappointed in the season. They know we just got beat.

You are really off in the sentiments about the boosters and the season. As for Joe fan, other then you and one other, most have been very reasonable. I think it is just you being contrarian as the other guy was drunk wnd upset we lost. He was better the next day
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Salty wrote:

The program's boosters are quite happy with Miller. Stop acting as if you know anything about boosters and what they expect/want.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I tell you what I am happy with:

A program that is consistently among the elite programs in the nation. A program that has spent the entirety of the last two seasons in the top 10. A program that continues to have top 5 recruiting classes year after year. A program that is AT LEAST going to the second week of the NCAA's each year it makes it and the two years it didn't were attributed to the mess Miller inhereted. A program that has made a concerted effort to bring in high-class young men and has dealt with players who come and don't live up to that standard. A program that has reemerged as THE program of an entire region. A program that will win conference championships more times than not. A program that continues to put good players in the league.

The final fours will come, a National Championship will come. In the meantime, I am enjoying being one of the best, most recognized and decorated college basketball programs in the country. And on top of that, we have the preeminent gentleman at head coach.

If there ever comes a time when Arizona basketball stops performing at a high level, come and talk to me. If there ever comes a time where the program is consistently falling short in the tournament and frequently losing to lower seeded teams, come and talk to me. Until then, be grateful. Just about every college in America wishes they were the University of Arizona, including several schools who have the final fours you so greatly covet.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty has often gone to the "most people agree with me" defense. Unfortunately for him, he's just projecting.

The boosters thing is hilarious though. Thank you for that Salty.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I'm a bigger Miller fan now that at any time during his tenure. Just amazing that we never get blown out. Wisky had an unprecedented shooting performance, but the Cats still in the game late.

When is our last double-digit loss? Look at our exits: UConn, final possession. Ohio State, last-second three. Wisconsin, OT. Wisconsin, 7.

We always have a chance.
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:I'm a bigger Miller fan now that at any time during his tenure. Just amazing that we never get blown out. Wisky had an unprecedented shooting performance, but the Cats still in the game late.

When is our last double-digit loss? Look at our exits: UConn, final possession. Ohio State, last-second three. Wisconsin, OT. Wisconsin, 7.

We always have a chance.
@ USC 2/27/13. 89-78
Salty

Post by Salty »

Hey, I love coach Miller, think he's doing an incredible job.

The expectations is the Final Four. That's just how it is at a program like Arizona.

If you're afraid of those expectations, root for a team like asu ;)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:I tell you what I am happy with:

A program that is consistently among the elite programs in the nation. A program that has spent the entirety of the last two seasons in the top 10. A program that continues to have top 5 recruiting classes year after year. A program that is AT LEAST going to the second week of the NCAA's each year it makes it and the two years it didn't were attributed to the mess Miller inhereted. A program that has made a concerted effort to bring in high-class young men and has dealt with players who come and don't live up to that standard. A program that has reemerged as THE program of an entire region. A program that will win conference championships more times than not. A program that continues to put good players in the league.

The final fours will come, a National Championship will come. In the meantime, I am enjoying being one of the best, most recognized and decorated college basketball programs in the country. And on top of that, we have the preeminent gentleman at head coach.

If there ever comes a time when Arizona basketball stops performing at a high level, come and talk to me. If there ever comes a time where the program is consistently falling short in the tournament and frequently losing to lower seeded teams, come and talk to me. Until then, be grateful. Just about every college in America wishes they were the University of Arizona, including several schools who have the final fours you so greatly covet.
Here's my list of programs that would not trade places with Arizona:

1. Kentucky. Cal is pulling in too much talent.
2. Kansas. Just think about the SOS.
3. North Carolina. You have to show up for classes in Tucson. Other than that, I'm sure they would.
4. Duke. Although cashing in from K to Miller would be smart money at this point.

That's it. 3 yeses and one joke. We are very well situated going forward. The McKale renovation should only build the revenue stream.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:I'm a bigger Miller fan now that at any time during his tenure. Just amazing that we never get blown out. Wisky had an unprecedented shooting performance, but the Cats still in the game late.
Exactly. How many other teams could have overcome 10/12 3 point shooting the second half and still remained competitive?

If Stanley Johnson hadn't double dribbled that steal who knows what would have happened.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

We always have a chance.

We were down 10-2 to start the game. There wasn't a fan that that thought we weren't gonna come back, and we led at half by 3 (just like we did last year). It took that 2nd half barrage of shots to beat us. Hats off.

KenPom has a luck factor in his analysis for a reason.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

We always have a chance.

I was doing some research on this after a bunch of fans on here were bitching about the few losses that we had this season and the past few seasons. I need to update it for the Wisc and ASU loss, but our average margin of loss for games this season and last is about 3.3 if I remember correctly. Testament to Miller's toughness and you can't ask for much more from a coach. Having a team make 10/12 from 3 in a half is like witnessing the Red Sea parting and we still had a chance.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Airizona wrote:

We always have a chance.

I was doing some research on this after a bunch of fans on here were bitching about the few losses that we had this season and the past few seasons. I need to update it for the Wisc and ASU loss, but our average margin of loss for games this season and last is about 3.3 if I remember correctly. Testament to Miller's toughness and you can't ask for much more from a coach. Having a team make 10/12 from 3 in a half is like witnessing the Red Sea parting and we still had a chance.
We don't beat ourselves. Team is a reflection of Miller: tough minded guys who just keep playing. No giving up, no panic.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty wrote:Hey, I love coach Miller, think he's doing an incredible job.

The expectations is the Final Four. That's just how it is at a program like Arizona.

This is fine, as long as you can acknowledge that you're speaking for yourself only. Certainly not for a majority of other fans, and definitely not for boosters*.

*I chuckled when typing the boosters thing. So much comedic value.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

One of the main reasons I have bounced back so quick after this loss is just an objective look at what happened. No one is going to beat a team that goes that hot from the 3, contested or no (there were a few of both). I felt like we got what we wanted on offense and overall played the better game, but the 3’s matter, and we got eliminated by a hot hand. It’s the NCAA tournament, and sometimes a team exits before they should. Heck…UK was a couple of made FTs by Notre Dame from leaving the dance, and they are, without doubt, the best team in the country.

As for the Elite Eight stuff…3 Elite Eights in 5 years is, IMO, a heck of a feat. To consistently finish in the top 10, or in this case 8, of the nation speaks quite well of Miller and company, who have still only lost once in tournament history to a team seeded worse than them. I don’t buy that a team that goes to the Final Four then disappears for a year or two or hangs out in the first weekend is a better program because they made one more round. I want the Final Four as much as anyone, but I do not have any issue with our program as it is right now, and this notion that one more game in a one-and-done format, a game that has been a close game every time we played in it, has magical powers as to bestowing meaning onto a program/season, is silly to me. Short of a championship, degrees of success matter, and being damn near an inked-in part of the top 10 of this tournament every year is remarkable.

As for the “having top classes” reasoning…that doesn’t matter one bit if the top players of the top class leave after one or two years. So you have a freshman phenom that gave you a higher rating. That was for one year. The team with the 15th best recruiting class that got all 4 years out of everyone has more opportunities to maximize their potential. What the hell does Aaron Gordon making our class last year #2 have to do with our finish in 2015? Nothing. If players carried over, like in football, that would be a cogent argument. But it isn’t, because each year is starting anew when it comes to your best player. Sometimes, you get a miracle like the UK players coming back, or what the Florida kids did a few years back. Anyone doubt we are competing for titles next year if our two big recruits from those last two highly rated classes stay? Stanley and Rondae come back…now, I buy the argument that Miller having top individual year classes matters over a long haul. But as of now, we are putting awesome freshmen up against very good juniors and coming up a bit short. Does that mean what we are doing is wrong? No. But the argument that "winning" the recruiting class title means you should dominate is not really one that holds a lot of water when you consider the yearly turnover. The teams that win the title find a mix (we have some of that, too, so it is by no means an excuse as to why we lost), or they have a class that surprisingly decides to return to make a run at a title. We had a good mix this year, which is why we were a title contender. But Aaron Gordon isn’t still around. Either is Nick Johnson. So what they did to prior recruiting class rankings means nothing…
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:

This is fine, as long as you can acknowledge that you're speaking for yourself only. Certainly not for a majority of other fans, and definitely not for boosters*.

Salty looks for boosters on Tinder.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Chicat wrote:

I guarantee that 90% of the high level boosters were disappointed that Arizona didn't make a Final Four.

Does that mean they're unhappy with Sean Miller? Nope.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It goes without saying everyone is disappointed we didn't make the final four. We all would have preferred that.
gumby

Post by gumby »

So you see him fired in how many years if this isn't achieved?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Salty wrote:
I guarantee that 90% of the high level boosters were disappointed that Arizona didn't make a Final Four.

I want to see this list of boosters who weren't disappointed by not achieving what every Wildcat wants.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:
Salty wrote:

I want to see this list of boosters who weren't disappointed by not achieving what every Wildcat wants.
I would like to see the documentation backing up this claim, although I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wow Salty, you think 90% of people who invest time and money into something want to see it succeed to its fullest potential?

Damnit I already used a sarcastic shocked face gif.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Love Coach Miller.

Go Cats!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Salty, you just went full retard in this thread. You never go full retard
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Salty, you just went full retard in this thread. You never go full retard
You spelled always wrong.
ChattyPaddy

Post by ChattyPaddy »

Salty wrote: Considering Arizona has had a top five or top ten recruiting class almost every year since Miller has been coach, not finishing as one of the top 4 teams in the country is a disappointment.

There is some validity to this. Over the last 4 recruiting classes only 3 schools (Kentucky, Duke, and Arizona) have been ranked in the top 10 classes. Two of those have at least 1 final four in that time period. Not a large sample size but with consistent elite recruiting classes at some point a final four should be the expectation.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChattyPaddy wrote:
Salty wrote: Considering Arizona has had a top five or top ten recruiting class almost every year since Miller has been coach, not finishing as one of the top 4 teams in the country is a disappointment.

There is some validity to this. Over the last 4 recruiting classes only 3 schools (Kentucky, Duke, and Arizona) have been ranked in the top 10 classes. Two of those have at least 1 final four in that time period. Not a large sample size but with consistent elite recruiting classes at some point a final four should be the expectation.
In a single elimination tournament when so many things can and do go wrong, I don't know how anyone can expect a Final Four based on recruiting classes alone. Kids go pro, kids get hurt, kids transfer. Some wacky team full of super lanky/lucky white boys shoots 105% from three in the Elite 8. Etc.

Our Final Four in '97 was almost a fluke. According to our recruiting '98 was supposed to be the year. Didn't happen. 2003 was also supposed to be our year. Same result. Shit, just ask Kansas. They recruit like a monster and at this point are just hoping they can get out of the first weekend.

I feel like a Final Four is most definitely coming. But to expect it to happen is setting yourself up for disappointment.