Kansas

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

enfuego

Re: Kansas

Post by enfuego »

salim'sheadband wrote:1. Since the start of 2011, in the very heart of Self's "Woodenesque" run, Kansas has won only eight more games than us and lost only six fewer. Most of those eight games can be explained by Kansas's typically lucky 2012 run where they beat a double digit seed, beat a double digit seed, beat a double digit seed (which, for Kansas, is actually pretty shocking), beat the one seed whose best player broke his wrist, and didn't have to play the other one seed on their half of the bracket because their center was academically ineligible. (Why not include 2010? Well Miller wasn't fortunate enough to inherit a team that returned 10/12 players from a title-game team, like Self was when he took over the Kansas job, so I figured that year could probably get cut off.)

2. Besides 2012 they've never advanced further in the tournament than us in that time. In those three years they've had two losses to double-digit seeds and an all-timer choke-job against Michigan (true story: Kansas's KenPom win probability in that game was, best as I can tell, as high as it could go without actually winning). And we will be going farther in the tournament. Again.

3. As far as personnel, Kansas's stud wing recruit is playing fewer minutes than Landen Lucas. Of course, this won't stop him from going pro, along with Alexander, one of Kansas's only two meaningful players over 6'7". Wayne Selden and Brannen Greene still have not decided that they want to be full-time basketball players but I'm sure they'll be around for a couple more years to frustrate and disappoint Kansas fans. As far as when Oubre and Alexander leave, hey, at least they'll be replaced by Kansas's 2015 recruiting class, which at the moment, um, looks like...
4. Meanwhile, Arizona's got three five-stars and a four-star locked up for 2015 even assuming we don't get Ivan Rabb
. Those players will go nicely next year with our returning sophomore center (didn't he play in Kansas?), our sophomore power forward, our senior shooting guard, our junior wing who might be our best returning player, and our sophomore point guard who is a star in the making.

But that's none of my business.
1. That is quite the arbitrary starting point.
2. Yeah, beside the year we played in the national title game, yeah besides that. When was the last time Arizona played in that game or a Final Four for that matter?
3. I'm not worried about our personnel. Our wings are young, but more talented and versatile than what Arizona tosses out there (Johnson being the exception).
4. Is recruiting done for 2015? We are targeting the cream of the crop. We are in the hunt for bigger fish that typically commit during the late period. I wouldn't be surprised to see a class of one of Dorsey or Newman to go with Jaylen Brown, Diallo and one of Bragg or Maker. We are an elite program and go after the big fish.

Not your best effort.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

enfuego wrote:
salim'sheadband wrote:1. Since the start of 2011, in the very heart of Self's "Woodenesque" run, Kansas has won only eight more games than us and lost only six fewer. Most of those eight games can be explained by Kansas's typically lucky 2012 run where they beat a double digit seed, beat a double digit seed, beat a double digit seed (which, for Kansas, is actually pretty shocking), beat the one seed whose best player broke his wrist, and didn't have to play the other one seed on their half of the bracket because their center was academically ineligible. (Why not include 2010? Well Miller wasn't fortunate enough to inherit a team that returned 10/12 players from a title-game team, like Self was when he took over the Kansas job, so I figured that year could probably get cut off.)

2. Besides 2012 they've never advanced further in the tournament than us in that time. In those three years they've had two losses to double-digit seeds and an all-timer choke-job against Michigan (true story: Kansas's KenPom win probability in that game was, best as I can tell, as high as it could go without actually winning). And we will be going farther in the tournament. Again.

3. As far as personnel, Kansas's stud wing recruit is playing fewer minutes than Landen Lucas. Of course, this won't stop him from going pro, along with Alexander, one of Kansas's only two meaningful players over 6'7". Wayne Selden and Brannen Greene still have not decided that they want to be full-time basketball players but I'm sure they'll be around for a couple more years to frustrate and disappoint Kansas fans. As far as when Oubre and Alexander leave, hey, at least they'll be replaced by Kansas's 2015 recruiting class, which at the moment, um, looks like...
4. Meanwhile, Arizona's got three five-stars and a four-star locked up for 2015 even assuming we don't get Ivan Rabb
. Those players will go nicely next year with our returning sophomore center (didn't he play in Kansas?), our sophomore power forward, our senior shooting guard, our junior wing who might be our best returning player, and our sophomore point guard who is a star in the making.

1. That is quite the arbitrary starting point.
2. Yeah, beside the year we played in the national title game, yeah besides that. When was the last time Arizona played in that game or a Final Four for that matter?
3. I'm not worried about our personnel. Our wings are young, but more talented and versatile than what Arizona tosses out there (Johnson being the exception).
4. Is recruiting done for 2015? We are targeting the cream of the crop. We are in the hunt for bigger fish that typically commit during the late period. I wouldn't be surprised to see a class of one of Dorsey or Newman to go with Jaylen Brown, Diallo and one of Bragg or Maker. We are an elite program and go after the big fish.

Not your best effort.
LOL!
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

salim'sheadband wrote:Since the start of 2011, in the very heart of Self's "Woodenesque" run, Kansas has won only eight more games than us and lost only six fewer. Most of those eight games can be explained by Kansas's typically lucky 2012 run where they beat a double digit seed, beat a double digit seed, beat a double digit seed (which, for Kansas, is actually pretty shocking), beat the one seed whose best player broke his wrist, and didn't have to play the other one seed on their half of the bracket because their center was academically ineligible. (Why not include 2010? Well Miller wasn't fortunate enough to inherit a team that returned 10/12 players from a title-game team, like Self was when he took over the Kansas job, so I figured that year could probably get cut off.)

Besides 2012 they've never advanced further in the tournament than us in that time. In those three years they've had two losses to double-digit seeds and an all-timer choke-job against Michigan (true story: Kansas's KenPom win probability in that game was, best as I can tell, as high as it could go without actually winning). And we will be going farther in the tournament. Again.

As far as personnel, Kansas's stud wing recruit is playing fewer minutes than Landen Lucas. Of course, this won't stop him from going pro, along with Alexander, one of Kansas's only two meaningful players over 6'7". Wayne Selden and Brannen Greene still have not decided that they want to be full-time basketball players but I'm sure they'll be around for a couple more years to frustrate and disappoint Kansas fans. As far as when Oubre and Alexander leave, hey, at least they'll be replaced by Kansas's 2015 recruiting class, which at the moment, um, looks like...

Meanwhile, Arizona's got three five-stars and a four-star locked up for 2015 even assuming we don't get Ivan Rabb. Those players will go nicely next year with our returning sophomore center (didn't he play in Kansas?), our sophomore power forward, our senior shooting guard, our junior wing who might be our best returning player, and our sophomore point guard who is a star in the making.

Great read, great post
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

5 point win on the road against a terrible (Kenpom 71) UTEP team? My point has been proven. Solid 6 point outing by Hollis-Jefferson (stud). Again, my point is proven. Sweet 16 is beginning to look like the ceiling for this squad.
Last edited by enfuego on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Stopped reading at UNLV
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That 5 point road win was better than your 5 point win over Michigan St
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

azcat49 wrote:That 5 point road win was better than your 5 point win over Michigan St
Kenpom disagrees with you. It's okay to admit that Arizona is overrated and Kansas is underrated.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

You can't fix stupid.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Road wins far greater than neutral court wins over teams as vastly overhyped as MSU.

Your best win is probably over Santa Barbara or Utah. You were lucky that you caught all your marquee teams in a down cycle and the one you caught in an up cycle (like with Gonzaga) destroyed you
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

azcat49 wrote:Road wins far greater than neutral court wins over teams as vastly overhyped as MSU.

Your best win is probably over Santa Barbara or Utah. You were lucky that you caught all your marquee teams in a down cycle and the one you caught in an up cycle (like with Gonzaga) destroyed you
Kenpom #21 Georgetown says, "Your tears taste delicious."

Fyi - Second game of the season, Kentucky would have beat Arizona by 40. Look to see Arizona slip in Monday's polls.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Vegas said Arizona by 5.

Sagarin said Arizona by 5.

Arizona won by 5.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UTEP's Hunter would start for Kansas.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

azgreg wrote:UTEP's Hunter would start for Kansas.
Conjecture. However, we do know that UTEP's Hunter would start for Arizona, based on yesterday's performance. Probably Cooper too.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Conjecture is what you do here every day enflamo.
Without it you would have no material.
-JB
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Hunter would start almost anywhere

Kansas (both team and state) are largely irrelevant
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:Sweet 16 is beginning to look like the ceiling for this squad.
Last year you said Kansas would make it to the championship game.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

enfuego wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Road wins far greater than neutral court wins over teams as vastly overhyped as MSU.

Fyi - Second game of the season, Kentucky would have beat Arizona by 40. Look to see Arizona slip in Monday's polls.

You can't be serious about GTown, the one team other than KU that goes out early in the tourney each and every year.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

enfuego wrote:
azgreg wrote:UTEP's Hunter would start for Kansas.
Conjecture. However, we do know that UTEP's Hunter would start for Arizona, based on yesterday's performance. Probably Cooper too.
Am I reading that right? You of all posters are calling "conjecture" on someone?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

enfuego wrote:

Slip to...#3?
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Kansas doing to Lafayette what Arizona couldn't do to UTEP.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

cats101 wrote:
enfuego wrote:

Slip to...#3?
Fair question. I cold see the rankings drop you to 7 or 8 based on performance against strength of schedule.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I love enflamo comparing a home game to a road game.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-JB
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

enfuego wrote:
cats101 wrote:
enfuego wrote:

Slip to...#3?
Fair question. I cold see the rankings drop you to 7 or 8 based on performance against strength of schedule.
Hmmmm . . . I'm gonna assume you are talk about winning.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

enfuego wrote:
Want to put your money where your mouth is troll?

I'll make that bet. How much? $100 $500?
-JB
salim'sheadband

Well at least Kentucky finally made SOMEONE look worse than Kansas. Although Kansas should definitely still be way more embarrassed about that loss.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

salim'sheadband wrote:Well at least Kentucky finally made SOMEONE look worse than Kansas. Although Kansas should definitely still be way more embarrassed about that loss.
Yes. Second game of the season turd, versus 10th game of the season turd. Your logic is impeccable.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

First it was conjecture, now enflamo is calling out other people's logic. :lol:
-JB
salim'sheadband

Maybe UCLA and Kansas should combine their teams. The resulting team would only lose to Kentucky by 15.

Other characteristics of this "super" team:

Make one Sweet Sixteen every 5 years. Lose to a double digit seed when you get there.
salim'sheadband

Probably a 14 seed.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

salim'sheadband wrote:Maybe UCLA and Kansas should combine their teams. The resulting team would only lose to Kentucky by 15.

Make one Sweet Sixteen every 5 years. Lose to a double digit seed when you get there.
Hilarious. UCLA is a scoring machine compared to Arizona. I'd be curious to see if Arizona could drop double digits on Kentucky in 40 minutes.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

salim'sheadband wrote:Image
Is that a picture of Kansas' 2015 recruiting class for hoops?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

How is this guy doing? Is he the next Selby?

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:
salim'sheadband wrote:Maybe UCLA and Kansas should combine their teams. The resulting team would only lose to Kentucky by 15.

Hilarious. UCLA is a scoring machine compared to Arizona. I'd be curious to see if Arizona could drop double digits on Kentucky in 40 minutes.
Ucla scores 77.8 a game. Arizona scores 77.1
Kansas scores 72 a game.

Huh?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've seen them play three times this season and I won't lie, Kansas is good when they're not playing one of the best teams in the country. They'll have a solid season and a Sweet 16 finish, bumps in the road aside.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Longhorned wrote:I've seen them play three times this season and I won't lie, Kansas is good when they're not playing one of the best teams in the country. They'll have a solid season and a Sweet 16 finish, bumps in the road aside.
Kansas #9 SOS (thanks MSU)
Arizona #224 SOS

That's a huge amount of trash talk for a team who is barely beating mid majors.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

enfuego wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I've seen them play three times this season and I won't lie, Kansas is good when they're not playing one of the best teams in the country. They'll have a solid season and a Sweet 16 finish, bumps in the road aside.
Arizona #224 SOS

Trash talk? I just complimented Kansas. Apparently you want me to use a December Kenpom SOS rating (!) to support Kansas as something other than a team that, as of today, has demonstrated that it can't compete at all with a future 1-seed, but otherwise can win at Georgetown and beat the teams it should at home. What part of your belief in crazy shit requires me to say untruthful things?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So both teams have played 1 true road game and each has won by 5. Of course UTEP's crowd and environment far exceeded Gtowns and in reality the 2 teams schedule are quite similar
HibachiZero

Post by HibachiZero »

Every year it's the same thing: Talk all year about how great Kansas is, then come tournament time we watch them flame out in the early rounds.

Is there really a point to all this? We all know how this story will end.
Last edited by HibachiZero on Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salim'sheadband

If Kansas and Georgetown ever combined teams the committee would have to invent new double-digit seeds for them to lose to.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

salim'sheadband wrote:If Kansas and Georgetown ever combined teams the committee would have to invent new double-digit seeds for them to lose to.
Do you really want to walk down that road?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The road of truth?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Paging SHB...

Our redheaded stepchild is ready for his beating.

And Chicat, get enfuego's picture from TOS ready.
-JB
salim'sheadband

And of course that doesn't even include Kansas's loss to Northern Illinois which is arguably the worst loss of all of them.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

enfuego wrote:
Arizona #224 SOS

Kentucky made Kansas look like a mid major
cats101

Post by cats101 »

enfuego wrote:
azcat49 wrote:That 5 point road win was better than your 5 point win over Michigan St
Kenpom disagrees with you. It's okay to admit that Arizona is overrated and Kansas is underrated.
Texas Southern disagrees with you.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

I heard it's going to be quite an emotional night at the Phog when they raise their 5th straight OOC SOS National Championship banner.

Kansas fans evidently take those very seriously.

Maybe they can even use the positive momentum to convince someone to play for them next season.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I hope the cats are watching the Kansas game. Kansas is completely flat. This is what not to do on the road before Christmas break
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

So how many Temple players would start for Kansas? :)
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller