Champions Classic

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Champions Classic

Post by gumby »

Grayson Allen had a game. That was some clutch shooting. Too bad about Bagley. Wanted to see more of him. Carter is really good. Teams will play off Duval, an impressive athlete who is a subpar shooter. He's also the guy you foul in close games. Duke probably would struggle to guard the perimeter man to man with such a tall lineup. Credit to K for the adjustment.

MSU could've won if not for the puzzling turnovers. Early season stuff, I suppose, but really sloppy. Also gave up a lot of offensive rebounds.
I like what I saw in Jackson. He was Sparty's most consistent player. Bridges was too tame in the first half. Has a three-point shot now.
Agree with the take on MSU's guards. Could be their downfall.

Kentucky is so young ... again. More teenagers than a mall food court. Game should not have been as close as it was. KU has a nice perimeter attack, but nobody killer down low.

If I had to rank these teams now, I'd go: Duke, MSU, KU, UK.
Right where I want to be.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Anyone else feel pretty good about Arizona's chances of winning a national title in comparison to those four teams after watching last night?

Arizona is much deeper than any of those four teams, especially with Alkins due back within a month or so. Plus, the Ayton/Trier factor for Arizona...I just didn't see anyone capable of stopping that on any team last night. Now, being able to defend someone like Allen or Bagley will be a challenge in itself...but I did not watch last night and think "Man, Arizona just does not stack up with these blue bloods."
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Statfreak77 wrote:Anyone else feel pretty good about Arizona's chances of winning a national title in comparison to those four teams after watching last night?

Arizona is much deeper than any of those four teams, especially with Alkins due back within a month or so. Plus, the Ayton/Trier factor for Arizona...I just didn't see anyone capable of stopping that on any team last night. Now, being able to defend someone like Allen or Bagley will be a challenge in itself...but I did not watch last night and think "Man, Arizona just does not stack up with these blue bloods."
Less concerned about PG play than i was last night. I rewatched Duval’s play. Not a good shooter and limited touch around the rim. Relies on his straight line speed and strength to get to the rim, blown defense and no help rotation make him look very good. Steals were a result of the 2-3 zone fucking with MSU (though the kid is super long for a PG, so he’s a real threat).

Defense and rebounding. Get those locked in and I feel great about our team against anyone. No one in the country can matchup with Ayton. Trier is as pure a scorer as Allen.

Personnel concerns... Gotta figure out our post beyond Ayton. If Ristić is 22min/g, Lee needs to be ready for 20min/g. Ayton needs to be able to go for 35min/g. With so many skilled wings we may want Akot playing the four for 10m/g.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I checked out midway through the KU/UK game and I'm a little surprised UK kept it close. Knox and Diallo are good on the wing but their point and post rotations are really shaky right now.

You can see "early season" written all over the top teams, IMO. We've been shaky on D, Duke was really inconsistent and MSU looked completely lost against the zone at times. You can see a lot of raw talent, but all the top teams are working through issues.

Nova should be a great test bc they are more veteran based and will demand that we have it together. I hope we get them bc that will be a real measuring stick.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Perimeter defense is the only concern
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Nova looked very strong the other night. I still think they’re gonna struggle with Deandre, but that’s as well-coached a team we’ll see all year.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Statfreak77 wrote:Anyone else feel pretty good about Arizona's chances of winning a national title in comparison to those four teams after watching last night?

Duke is thin at guard.

Allen, 40 minutes
Duval, 37 minutes
Trent, 35 minutes.

Injury or foul trouble, and they're vulnerable. Duval was 7-20, missed all four treys, 3-7 FTs. Took 20 shots. Too many when you're not a good shooter. Ten assists and six steals, though.
Last edited by gumby on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

YoDeFoe wrote:

Personnel concerns... Gotta figure out our post beyond Ayton. If Ristić is 22min/g, Lee needs to be ready for 20min/g. Ayton needs to be able to go for 35min/g. With so many skilled wings we may want Akot playing the four for 10m/g.
I think Akot's position will be opponent/player/game flow dependent. He will slide defensively 1-4 where we need him the most and/or he will have the greatest defensive impact.

Love what he brings and I believe by the end of the year be a player that has an impact like iggy/draymond for the warriors. If he is hitting 3's or scoring this team will be very difficult to beat.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gumby wrote:Duval was 7-20, missed all four treys, 3-7 FTs). Took 20 shots. Too many when you're not a good shooter. Ten assists and six steals, though.
Duval really benefited from Grayson shooting so well and from MSU looking soulless against the 2-3.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:

Duke is thin at guard.

Allen, 40 minutes
Duval, 37 minutes
Trent, 35 minutes.

Injury or foul trouble, and they're vulnerable. Duval was 7-20, missed all four treys, 3-7 FTs). Took 20 shots. Too many when you're not a good shooter. Ten assists and six steals, though.
Duke had to ride the perimeter harder without Bagley too. Bagley is their main scorer inside. You get some from Carter, but other than that, they had to generate a lot of offense outside in.

I think if we can counter Duval's physicality, we set up as well for Allen/Trent as anyone. We have a lot of depth and can rotate people with good physical profiles to challenge their stamina. Add to that they'd have to check Zo and Rawle, so no one gets time off on D on the wing, and I think we match them well on the wing.

Duval/PJC would be my concern. I think we could get a decent matchup for Bagley out of Ayton/Lee/Akot and Dusan actually would benefit from a traditional 2 big opponent. Parker doesn't demand Duval check him hard and I worry Parker is susceptible to Duval being big and athletic.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i like Arizona this year against the field anytime, anywhere.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:i like Arizona this year against the field anytime, anywhere.
When I think Elite Eight, Staples Center, I get a lump in the pit of my stomach. We have a lot of talent, but LA and the EE bring up some bad memories.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I will pull from my children's 529 to see Arizona vs Duke in SA.

I will eat ramen for 6mo
prh

Post by prh »

CalStateTempe wrote:I will pull from my children's 529 to see Arizona vs Duke in SA.

I will eat ramen for 6mo
Side note, you thinking of heading down to San Diego or LA this year? I did LA in 2015 and had a (mostly) fun time. I'm pretty sure I want to do one of those weekends, but I'm also planning on doing Vegas
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'd like to, it all depends on the work schedule to call off on short notice. (Although Sd and Boise is equidistant for me)

I did SJ last year which was ton of fun sans the end of game and pedi cab incident

Probably can't do vegas this season but definitely on the bucket list some day.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Ill be at the San Diego pod and LA Regionals, along with a Queens of the Stone Age set the night before the SD games.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

:roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :shock: :? :roll: :lol:
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I will pull from my children's 529 to see Arizona vs Duke in SA.

I will eat ramen for 6mo
If they release them to us residents I can get you 10% off a room at the Grand Hyatt. Just across the street from the AlamoDome, but still in Texas where a Bathroom Bill ..... oh, sorry for the political injection .... can still fuck everything up. Just sayin'.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

gonna move this thread to arch rivals
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
97cats wrote:i like Arizona this year against the field anytime, anywhere.
When I think Elite Eight, Staples Center, I get a lump in the pit of my stomach. We have a lot of talent, but LA and the EE bring up some bad memories.
Ditto, Anaheim.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

This year's matchups should be really interesting

Michigan State v Kansas

Duke vs Kentucky
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Thanks, but no need to remind us what a good job Mr. Scott is doing for the Pac-12 and how we are left out of everything of late....
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Azibuke is really good

Unfortunately Dickie V is on the call
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Jeez. Duke looks like an NBA team.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

They're unreal. Hate it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well Duke is as impressive a team early as I have seen since.....Lute's many impressive early performances. They are very talented and to me the favorite (ugh) to cut down the Nets in April
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Kentucky is only up by 1 against SIU with 12:00 left in the second half. So maybe, as good as Duke seems to be, Kentucky is just really bad relative to their ranking at this point.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Not sure this belongs here but buffalo giving it to wvu.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

97cats wrote:i like Arizona this year against the field* anytime, anywhere.
Except against Buffalo. AMIRITE?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Aww...he's back. So cute.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Delayed response for sure
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I'd take the bulls over jaychickens, massinburg was hot last night.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.