ASU blows

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: ASU blows

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:if he does well for 2-3 years at asu does he replace rat face?
Capel may be been promised it. I thought Wojo was in line, but he is embarrassing himself at Marquette.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Gilbertcat wrote:
The good news for Hurley: It's not a complete rebuilding job. The Sun Devils are expected to return four starters from last season's 18-16 team that lost in the second round of the NIT. Sophomore forward Savon Goodman and freshman point guard Tra Holder flashed all-conference ability.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /25529185/

I dont know about that quote.

Also, most of the article stresses his college playing career. Shouldnt most of it focus on who he has recruited, what ties he might have out west, and what is his coaching philosophy (and how it might translate out west)?
Yes, but he hasn't done any of that. Aside from his name, I have no idea why asu fans would be excited (maybe because their program is at rock bottom) about his resume. I think this is a good hire for them from the perspective that it will likely fail. He has spent one year at Wagner as an assistant, one year at Rhode Island as associate HC, and 2 years at Buffalo. His greatest coaching accomplishment to date is getting Buffalo into the tournament.

I never thought it would get any easier for me to hate Hurley. I was wrong.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

i think this is a good hire...for them. He'll have fundamentally sound white boys who can shoot. The exact type of teams I hate. Let's face it, he will help them be competitive in a weaker power conference, and this program was looking to fade into oblivion before this was announced.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Cant wait to see the terms...and the buyout. Over/under $2 million?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BMalo wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:
The good news for Hurley: It's not a complete rebuilding job. The Sun Devils are expected to return four starters from last season's 18-16 team that lost in the second round of the NIT. Sophomore forward Savon Goodman and freshman point guard Tra Holder flashed all-conference ability.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /25529185/

I dont know about that quote.

Also, most of the article stresses his college playing career. Shouldnt most of it focus on who he has recruited, what ties he might have out west, and what is his coaching philosophy (and how it might translate out west)?
Yes, but he hasn't done any of that. Aside from his name, I have no idea why asu fans would be excited (maybe because their program is at rock bottom) about his resume. I think this is a good hire for them from the perspective that it will likely fail. He has spent one year at Wagner as an assistant, one year at Rhode Island as associate HC, and 2 years at Buffalo. His greatest coaching accomplishment to date is getting Buffalo into the tournament.

I never thought it would get any easier for me to hate Hurley. I was wrong.
Because he isn't Sendek. Hurley provides some hope, and Herb pretty much had ASU fans locked into mediocrity.

That said, Herb got a lot out of their roster last year. We should find out fast if Hurley can coach.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Program wasn't at rock bottom.

Frieder, 114-98
Sendek, 159-137
Newman, 18-14
Evans, 116-117
Weinhauer, 44-45
Patterson/Schemerhorn, 48-62

Was actually very close to its post-Wulk apex. If history is any guide, Hurley will be fortunate to top Sendek.
Right where I want to be.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

This is a great hire, no other way to view it.

Miller had no western ties either and he did just fine.

Hurley is in a coaching family just like Miller and likely has a ton of connections everywhere through his father and brother.

I am actually glad they got him as it will be great for some AZ-ASU games to be high profile. As they say, iron sharpens iron. I'm all for it.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Coming from a family where his father is a coach doesn't necessarily mean he will be a great, or even good, coach AND recruiter. 5 of the 6 Freshmen / sophomores on Buffalo's team ( really the only players he could have recruited) are guards. He won't get far recruiting mostly guards based on his reputation. A coach with 2 seasons under his belt is very unproven and could just as easily be a complete bust, (IMO, of course).

Which is what I hope for, him being a dookie and now a scum devil. Going from a bad devil to a worse devil.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

BBQ wildcat wrote:Coming from a family where his father is a coach doesn't necessarily mean he will be a great, or even good, coach AND recruiter. 5 of the 6 Freshmen / sophomores on Buffalo's team ( really the only players he could have recruited) are guards. He won't get far recruiting mostly guards based on his reputation. A coach with 2 seasons under his belt is very unproven and could just as easily be a complete bust, (IMO, of course).

Which is what I hope for, him being a dookie and now a scum devil. Going from a bad devil to a worse devil.
He took Buffalo to the tournament in Year 2 and they had a very competitive game against West Virginia. They led Kentucky at halftime this year at Rupp. He has been a very successful coach thus far.

Of course he could be a bust, but it isn't looking that way. His brother has been successful at URI, he's been successful at Buffalo and I see no reason why that won't continue at ASU. The bigger question really is how long he will be there in my mind, but he is worlds beyond Sendek at this stage and Anderson did really well.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:What ties did Sean Miller have out west?

Hurley is a good coach to push the rivalry since many UA fans hate Dookies in general, especially the white boys.
None, which is the same amount Rich Rod when he came to UA, too. But don't inject any facts into this; the natives are restless and want to try and have fun with this one.

While I still think Majerle would have been a mor interesting hire, I think Hurley is the best option of the possible names that were thrown around, and that includes Capel. It will be interesting to see how he does.

Unfortunately, I think ASU upgraded. Though as long as Miller stays, ASU will remain in our shadow - regardless of who is coaching them.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Yeah, I guess I'm among those who don't really understand why some view this as a great hire. 2 years at buffalo is supposed to greatly impress?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Guy has coached for 4 years total. Miller had been coaching for 17 years before coming to Arizona. Rich Rod for 25. Unproven commodity.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Sadly, I assume that is Norvell's real twitter bravely attempting to use an apostrophe in the correct context and failing.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

that fake twitter thing is the the funniest thing I saw all day, by a mile. Bear Down!!!
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Wed May 06, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Big gamble... Nothing on Hurley's résumé shows he's ready to lead a major program.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Big gamble... Nothing on Hurley's résumé shows he's ready to lead a major program.
Well then that's good news for Hurley and Sun Devil fans because ASU is definitely not a major program.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

RISKY hire.......For Hurley.
The ASU job is the kiss of death. Poor guy looked like he had promise, hopefully he's smart enough to negotiate a favorable termination payment.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I think this is a home run for ASU. What good coach would actually want to coach there? It is a career ending move for almost any coach. How many ex-ASU coaches are still coaching today? It's a shitty job anyway you look at it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is going to be fun...
Four years from now, are we going to see Bobby sitting by himself at a Vegas fast food joint sadly choking down a Double Loser with Cheese?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I love the look, he now realizes what he has done. He obviously needed the money from his failed horse racing. He was getting $250,000 a year at Buffalo. Per DougHaller, he will get $1.2 million this year. Nice raise. But this is a fanbase who thought they could offer nearly $1.5 ($2.9+) million more a year to get Pastner...

He isnt making a ton now and it puts him in the mid to lower range in the pac. I do like how they keep trying to use recruiting against Arizona has their focus...like SDST, UCLA, Utah, and Col dont have the other edges in the region.
az91

Post by az91 »

Gilbertcat wrote:I love the look, he now realizes what he has done. He obviously needed the money from his failed horse racing. He was getting $250,000 a year at Buffalo. Per DougHaller, he will get $1.2 million this year. Nice raise. But this is a fanbase who thought they could offer nearly $1.5 ($2.9+) million more a year to get Pastner...

He isnt making a ton now and it puts him in the mid to lower range in the pac. I do like how they keep trying to use recruiting against Arizona has their focus...like SDST, UCLA, Utah, and Col dont have the other edges in the region.
I think is strange that he is getting the same amount as Herb got. You would think you would need more money to tempt someone to the PAC-12 version of the graveyard of college coaches.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

az91 wrote:I think is strange that he is getting the same amount as Herb got. You would think you would need more money to tempt someone to the PAC-12 version of the graveyard of college coaches.
I think his agent didn't do Bobby much of a service here. ASU was somewhat over a barrel; he probably could've got more money and perhaps even much more money ($150K a month instead of $100K a month) if he had played it right.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Michael Crow was talking a lot of smack about ASU owning the rivalry recently. I guess winning some games at Wells Fargo puts them ahead? Conference championships, tourney appearances, Sweet Sixteens/Elite Eights don't matter I guess.

What a joke.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAEebs86 wrote:Michael Crow was talking a lot of smack about ASU owning the rivalry recently. I guess winning some games at Wells Fargo puts them ahead? Conference championships, tourney appearances, Sweet Sixteens/Elite Eights don't matter I guess.

What a joke.
Owning? I guess. Last 8 years Asu is 9-8 against us. Although 6 of the wins are against KON, Pennell and Miller's first team.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Michael Crow was talking a lot of smack about ASU owning the rivalry recently. I guess winning some games at Wells Fargo puts them ahead? Conference championships, tourney appearances, Sweet Sixteens/Elite Eights don't matter I guess.

What a joke.
He said, "Ask him how it's gone lately."

Uh Michael, I hate to point this out, but you just fired a guy who went 3-7 over the past 5 years against your big brothers to the south. Expecting that kind of "success" to carry over to the new coaching staff is hilariously stupid.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:This is going to be fun...
Four years from now, are we going to see Bobby sitting by himself at a Vegas fast food joint sadly choking down a Double Loser with Cheese?
He figured it out faster than dude on the far right did.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:This is going to be fun...
He figured it out faster than dude on the far right did.
I think Hurley found that shirt and tie hanging on the back of his new office door because Herb forgot to grab them on his way out.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Can we have a press conference where he only talk about the rivalry? Please?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What in the holy fuck is he talking about?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wait did crow say that he thinks Arizona is hoping to get the rivalry to .500 soon?

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Wait did crow say that he thinks Arizona is hoping to get the rivalry to .500 soon?
Yep. Cherry-picked 9-8 over the last 17 games.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

What a joke.
In the past decade, they have a 170-154 overall record and one NCAA tournament win. We have four Elite Eight appearances and two Sweet 16 appearances. We have been ranked #1 in the nation more weeks than they have spent in any sort of postseason.

Also, bragging about the record of the coach you just fired is pretty ASU.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Wait did crow say that he thinks Arizona is hoping to get the rivalry to .500 soon?
Nice ASSU number work there. Do you think he used his fingers and toes to come up with that record?
az91

Post by az91 »

Katzenfreund wrote:Looks like Hurley is in there for the cash.

Bobby Hurley's old farm sold
Devil Eleven Farm, the foreclosed Florida Thoroughbred farm once owned by former Duke University and Sacramento Kings basketball player Bobby Hurley, has been sold.

The 140-acre property that Hurley and his wife, Leslie, bought for $3 million in 2006 brought just under $1.3 million on May 26. According to the Ocala Star-Banner, the buyer is Remeta Sky LLC, whose manager is Kansas veterinarian Dr. Karen Young.

In 2009, PNC Bank sued the Hurleys and their Devil Eleven Stable in a Kentucky court, alleging they defaulted on loans, and seized the couple's 12 shares in Songandaprayer. Hurley had paid $1 million for Songandaprayer, a son of Unbridled's Song, as a juvenile and campaigned him to win the Fountain of Youth in 2001. The 13-year-old horse currently stands at Walmac for an advertised $6,500 fee.

Last August, claiming about $3 million in unpaid loans, PNC Bank foreclosed on the Ocala farm.
Hurley how helps coach the Wagner College men's basketball team on Staten Island, N. Y., where his brother Dan is head coach.
This seems to explain why he was willing to take a sub-par offer from ASU.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Miller is 8-4 against them and the average score in all the games (win and loss) is 74-62 good guys...asu education there. Does any other school spit that out to their fanbase and get the old "thats all we expect" response?

Been a lot of comparisons between Miller and the Hurley hire....Miller was coming off 4 consecutive tourney appearances and Arizona had just been to the sweet 16. Yeah a few guys got nabbed from LA but I am not seeing a real mirror image. Just the east guy heading west guy comparison (and Hurley is coming from further away).
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So if Crow is such a genius why did he fire the guy who he got them those 9 wins
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Hurly is a good hire for a mediocre mid major program like ASSu.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

UAEebs86 wrote:
i think crow was referring to the rivalry numbers since herb was hc, but it looks like he's using "asu math" and got it wrong:

ARIZONA - ASU
SENDEK ERA : 10-9 (.526)
CROW ERA : 18-9 (.667)
THIS MILLENNIUM : 24-10 (.706)
SINCE 1990 : 40-14 (.741)
SINCE 1980 : 51-23 (.689)
ALL-TIME : 146-82 (.640)
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Can someone fill me in on their "great" coach? I mean he's won a total of 42 games more than you or I.

I mean, they shipped off a guy with 402 wins for someone with 10% of that. Perhaps he is, but ASU isn't where someone goes to prove they are a great coach. It's where coaches go to be forgotten and ignored.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That have the lamest comparisons.

When Miller came it was "Teacher was going to school the pupil"

Now with Hurley, its "the next east coast upstart coming west"

So lame.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:That have the lamest comparisons.

When Miller came it was "Teacher was going to school the pupil"

Now with Hurley, its "the next east coast upstart coming west"

So lame.
Little Brother Syndrome

TheJuiceMan124 wrote:
i never understood how ASU could never really land sme big time recruits while ona can I understand the coach plays a big part in it but ASU's campus and atmosphere is 100x better than zona's

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I know chi, that thread is a great read.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Olsondogg wrote:Can someone fill me in on their "great" coach? I mean he's won a total of 42 games more than you or I.

I mean, they shipped off a guy with 402 wins for someone with 10% of that. Perhaps he is, but ASU isn't where someone goes to prove they are a great coach. It's where coaches go to be forgotten and ignored.
We can bash ASU all we want, and for sure they make it pretty easy but this is a pretty ridiculous post.

Herb was locked into mediocrity and Hurley just took Buffalo to the NCAA Tournament and played West Virginia pretty damn competitively. That is a lot more than Herb can ever say. He lucked into a loophole to get Harden to campus and that was the only way he got his one tournament win at ASU.

Hurley is definitely unproven, but so is every coach until they get an opportunity.

This is a clear upgrade over Herb, I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

azcat34 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Can someone fill me in on their "great" coach? I mean he's won a total of 42 games more than you or I.

We can bash ASU all we want, and for sure they make it pretty easy but this is a pretty ridiculous post.

Herb was locked into mediocrity and Hurley just took Buffalo to the NCAA Tournament and played West Virginia pretty damn competitively. That is a lot more than Herb can ever say. He lucked into a loophole to get Harden to campus and that was the only way he got his one tournament win at ASU.

Hurley is definitely unproven, but so is every coach until they get an opportunity.

Herb made five straight NCAAT at a ACC school before Arizona State hired him, take away Hurley's name and tell me what you've got. This isn't a clear upgrade, this is a desperate gamble where the upside is "if he wins enough he gets an ACC job in a few years."

Herb is a good coach, that was dragged down by the negative vortex that is Arizona State basketball. It'll suck down Hurley with ease.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

ZONACAT wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

Herb made five straight NCAAT at a ACC school before Arizona State hired him, take away Hurley's name and tell me what you've got. This isn't a clear upgrade, this is a desperate gamble where the upside is "if he wins enough he gets an ACC job in a few years."

Herb is a good coach, that was dragged down by the negative vortex that is Arizona State basketball. It'll suck down Hurley with ease.
Buffalo had never made the tournament or won their conference until Hurley got there and won back to back conference titles. Not exactly was recruiting to some basketball mecca. He also was recruiting to Buffalo, NY, have you been there? Tempe is a million times better.

I'm not going to say Hurley is a lock to start dominating the Pac-12 and I definitely think he will bolt to the first east coast opportunity if he does reasonably well, but I think he is a clear upgrade over Herb at this point. Herb is a good coach and solid guy is seems, but there was nothing going on there and now they have someone with at least some potential to get after it and win a little bit.

Anderson seems to be doing well on the fundraising front too, so perhaps they can upgrade their horrid facilities.

Anyways, I just want ASU to be competitive so they aren't a shitty loss for Arizona when they inevitably play 100x better at Wells Fargo every year than every other game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hurley comes cheap too. They are still paying off Herbie's full salary.

How Buffalo screwed over Hurley:

http://buckyandsully.buffalonews.com/20 ... situation/