Ivan Rabb

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Ivan Rabb

Post by rgdeuce »

CalStateTempe wrote:Swanigan is choosing between Cal Duke MichSt Purdue.
Lol. At least the Rabb thing makes some sense. Im gonna go clear across the country to play with two one and dones for a school that has not shown they can be great otherwise. Those guys bolt and i need another year or two im on my own. And to do that im going to turn down two of the best coaches in the nation and two elite programs with consistent championship level success. Makes total sense. You dont turn down duke for cal.

We will see what happens, but something doesnt smell right
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:Do we even need Rabb with Tarc returning?

Rabb is a PF, so more replacing Brandon Ashley.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

It's a pride I don't to lose Rabb to Martin! I think we will just find with out Rabb now!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:

But I thought Anderson was our PF for next year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

But I thought Anderson was our PF for next year.
Kind of hard to play an entire season with 1 PF.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Kentucky is putting 7 guys into the draft this year.

Of course we still want Rabb.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Well chance is a PF and so is the USF kid if he comes
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chance is a C. I don't think the coaching staff has any plans to ask him to play the PF position.

And we won't go after Tollefson if Rabb is coming, which he's not, so Tolleffon come on down.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:At this point I wonder what cunzo or one of his go betweens a promised the family for delivering Rabb.
I wouldn't assume that. I'm sure his family would just really like to see him play 25 home games next year instead of one or two. Going to school close to home is a strong draw for a lot of people.
So, the critical question has to be:

"Do they have Dish or DirectTV??"
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Bear Down or Lay Down!!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Is somebody going to start one of those polls where the options are:

X - I couldn't care less about Ivan Rabb
X- I look forward to supporting Ivan Rabb's career at Cal. He's a Wildcat!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Longhorned wrote:Is somebody going to start one of those polls where the options are:

X - I couldn't care less about Ivan Rabb
X- I look forward to supporting Ivan Rabb's career at Cal. He's a Wildcat!
I wish him the best in his career unless they are playing the cats and then I hope we beat the brakes off of Cal. Do we play them twice next year or do we only play them once?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Looking forward to Zeus/Dus & Ryan Anderson laying a beat down on Rabb/Swanigan next year.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Watching Swanigan I am not that impressed. He has nice handles but really plays below the rim and out of shape. Zues will dominated him. That BAShH vs Rabb matchup woul've been awesome to see. Hell the SJ and Jaylan Brown matchup would be great!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I am so over rabb. Glad he's not coming, he has malignant potential.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I am so over rabb. Glad he's not coming, he has malignant potential.
This sounds like sour grapes.

Not saying that it is, but it seems like any kid we don't get with the exception of Justise Winslow is a malcontent that we're better off without.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I gave up on him a couple of weeks ago. It's hard to shed my preconceived notions that all four- and five-star big man recruits are prima donnas, and pretty much every publicly wishy-washy guy who's spurned us back to Withey has seemed to follow that pattern.

They all seem to want the red carpet (*cough*play dirty*cough*) laid out, and Arizona doesn't do that. Never has.

There's always the lone exception to the rule, but it doesn't necessarily make me wrong. It's just like recruiting the QB in football.

Should go get Tollefson, take the best remaining in-state big and call it a class.
loomer

Post by loomer »

It's going to be funny when Cal doesn't make the tournament with all that talent
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

"Take the remaining in-state big" G, thats sounds a little ASSUish don't you think?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Rabb is a major talent, so of course he is wanted. Miller has put several years into his recruitment and AZ was by many accounts a leader for quite some time. The reality is that he will still be a freshman and many freshman are not dominant like Okafor was for Duke; guys are often still raw and underdeveloped. Anyone remember Ashley and Jarrett their freshman years? They clearly had talent, but were not ready to take over games and dominate by any stretch of the imagination. Another reality is that a player like Anderson may not have the same raw talent as Rabb, but he will likely be much more ready to play at this level next year than Rabb. Rabb's loss is unfortunate because Ashley's departure does fill a void (one that Anderson will readily and partially fill), but he is a one-and-done, so it is a one-year loss that in all actuality, is more of a loss in terms of recruiting pride, not position (again, Anderson may be a better, more developed fit for next year).

As a side note, I think some of these young high school stars get a bit delusional when they see Duke win it -- they feel like a few of them can join a program and win a title. Anyone remember Kentucky's heralded class from a couple of years ago not make the tournament? Top-ranked freshman don't always translate into championship caliber teams right off the bat. First of all, Okafor was a unique talent and came in with a great wing and point guard, but also was on a Duke team with additional talent with ACC experience and coached by a legend -- the guys going into Cal are not going to be entering a parallel environment and scenario in any sense of the word. They will win games, but they won't be title contenders. Cal does not have Duke's talent, experience and coaching staff. Good luck to Rabb and Swanigan, you can't fault them for buying into the rhetoric, but they would both likely be better off in other programs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Even if Rabb came to AZ, he's likely one and done, so we'd be losing two PFs after the 2015-16 season anyway (Anderson and Rabb). We have a gaping hole at PF for 2016-17.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If we get tollefsen and along with tarc I don't feel bad about losing rabb
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Even if Rabb came to AZ, he's likely one and done, so we'd be losing two PFs after the 2015-16 season anyway (Anderson and Rabb). We have a gaping hole at PF for 2016-17.
TJ Leaf
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Every time someone posts in this thread, I figure he committed to Cal.
I have not committed to Cal.
Right where I want to be.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azcat49 wrote:"Take the remaining in-state big" G, thats sounds a little ASSUish don't you think?
Not in the years we got Channing Frye or Matt Korcheck.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

True that but I doubt of any of the "remaining bigs in AZ" have that kind of talent
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

So is Tollefson getting his degree this spring?

If Calipari had Bird, Wallace, Rabb, Swanigan and Mathews, I'd be a lot more concerned. A lot of talent, but the trio there last year didn't play that well together. Getting them to D-up will be a major chore. Sharing the ball will be another challenge.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Probably not, but In Miller I Trust to coach 'em to greatness.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Every time someone posts in this thread, I figure he committed to Cal.
Good, keep your options open.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
gumby wrote:

Prima donna.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Even if Rabb came to AZ, he's likely one and done, so we'd be losing two PFs after the 2015-16 season anyway (Anderson and Rabb). We have a gaping hole at PF for 2016-17.
TJ Leaf
How could I forget about Leaf? Trying to do too many things at once this morning. Thanks, Chi :)

So would it just be Rabb and Swanigan going to Cal? What about Brown?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
TJ Leaf
I don't follow recruiting that much but ever since I heard we are getting TJ Leaf, I always assumed he was a pg.

What's his real name? We can't really call him TJ can we?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I am so over rabb. Glad he's not coming, he has malignant potential.
This sounds like sour grapes.

Not saying that it is, but it seems like any kid we don't get with the exception of Justise Winslow is a malcontent that we're better off without.
Not arizona good, if he's not willing to compete and stay home getting fluffed by mommy.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

to be fair, rabb's relationship with his mom isn't terribly different from zo's situation with his mother. has marcie trier relocated to tucson yet?

anyway, i was wondering whether the recent news about our roster changes (and non-changes) would further entice ivan to play for UofA. heck of an opportunity to develop and dominate, given what our frontcourt is looking like, and belong to something special. but maybe he inadvertently shackled himself with the ridiculous "package deal" he'd been selling to his aau bros. not like he can be all, "hey caleb swanigan, just kidding about us playing together in college. i wanna go to Arizona now and there's no room for you now that their senior center is coming back..." he may have forced his own decision whether he likes it or not.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:
gumby wrote:

Prima donna.

My modifier is dangling!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
Chicat wrote:
TJ Leaf
I don't follow recruiting that much but ever since I heard we are getting TJ Leaf, I always assumed he was a pg.

What's his real name? We can't really call him TJ can we?
Ty Jacob

According to the interwebs, his other nickname is "Milk".

I would suggest we stick with TJ.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I am now over Rabb. I have nothing against him, hope he succeeds.

But even in 1 and Dones, I want guys who bleed UofA. Rabb clearly doesn't.

Never doubted Aaron Gordon and Stanley Johnson's loyalty.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:I am now over Rabb. I have nothing against him, hope he succeeds.

Think this is how many of us have been feeling the past couple weeks.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I am now over Rabb. I have nothing against him, hope he succeeds.

Think this is how many of us have been feeling the past couple weeks.
BEARDOWN or LAYDOWN
gumby

Post by gumby »

Is that a thing now? "Bear Down and Get Laid" stopped working?

Anyway ....

http://www.oregonlive.com/hoop-summit/i ... rward.html
On what he likes about Arizona:

"There's going to be playing time and they are a great program. They have great coaches. Their program gets to the tournament every year and plays very well. They just need to get over the hump and get to the Final Four."
On player(s) that has most impressed him this week:

"You could say that about all the guys. I would say (Arizona signee) Allonzo (Trier). He scores a lot of points, but he does it efficiently. Whenever he gets an open look, he has a mindset to knock down every open look that he has. He has the capability to make tough shots, but anything that's open is pretty much going in."
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lol. No sour grapes here, we all knew how this was going to end, but where there is smoke there is fire. Not buying any of this being completely 100, at all. Star recruits are going to hook up like this for kentucky, kansas, UNC, us, Duke, etc. We all saw how the Fab 5 ended and even with that, it made sense, almost all of those guys were from that region and that program was fairly hot off the glen rice team's title.

But this dude who has, correct me of im wrong, no track record of recruiting even close to this level, who Tennessee fans ran out (justifed or not) and is not even close to being a hot name in coaching, this dude is going to come in the 11th hour and pry three top 8 guys from Arizona, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas etc? And two of those guys are going clear across the country? For Cal of all schools? Why is the number 1 or 2 recruit in the country essentially being a follower?

Either Martin sold his soul to the devil, or there is something extremely fishy about all this. The be the start of something great thing doesnt fly either. You dont build a program or a legacy as a one and done player and thats what at least two of them are.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Swanigan to Arizona! If he can refuse Chicago State.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Swanigan to Arizona! If he can refuse Chicago State.

UK
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm thinking Duke for Swanigan. Be the next Okafur.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Just spent the last hour watching interviews with Rabb. Maybe im finding things that aren't true but he doesn't have the vibe of a Sean Miller player.

He seems to have a big ego and is not focused on winning in college but in simply showcasing his talents.

Im probably wrong but he looks like another kid over hyped by the seedy AAU circuit.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If Rabb announces to Arizona, the abrupt 180 in this thread will be fun.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

luteformayor2 wrote:Just spent the last hour watching interviews with Rabb. Maybe im finding things that aren't true but he doesn't have the vibe of a Sean Miller player.

He seems to have a big ego and is not focused on winning in college but in simply showcasing his talents.

Im probably wrong but he looks like another kid over hyped by the seedy AAU circuit.
Not sure how that lines up with the fact that Rabb is open about wanting to play with good players and that he wants Cal to upgrade their talent level before he commits. Seems like he wants to play for a winner, not just any old team where he can dominate the ball.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:If Rabb announces to Arizona, the abrupt 180 in this thread will be fun.
I'm 60/40 on Rabb. I'll say which is which soon.

I'm going MSU for Swanigan, just to be different.