Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Sean Miller

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Its all speculation at this point but I really think Sean is looking for a new start somewhere else. We know he loves this program but he exudes the need for a new start. I don't think he's been happy for awhile. Many factors.

That's my observations, but I wouldn't mind being wrong and may in-fact be wrong.
Between the bad luck in the elite 8, the random crap he's had to deal with from season ending injuries all time, the pac 12 refs and Larry Scott, dumb NCAA suspensions of Trier, etc...I wouldn't blame him at all for want to just leave and get a breath of fresh air elsewhere.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:Somewhere from within the difference between vindication and redemption we are going to lose our guy. It fits our fate as we know its history.
Well, hey! One national championship in our lifetime is good, right? I even have the t-shirt.
I'm proud for you and all who were there for it. I moved to Tucson late that year and it has been, how does one put it, a devotion I wouldn't trade for anything. Still ....goddamnit .... I try not to focus on regret.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

I’ve been heartbroken on so many occasions at the hands of UA basketball. Going back to ‘98 and losing to Utah. ‘01 and watching Gilbert get hurt in the final four which led to the loss against Duke. ‘03 against kansas who we destroyed earlier that season at the Phog when Salim lit them up from 3. Don’t get me started on our collapse against Illinois in ‘05. I thought that the worst feeling in the world was watching Lute deteriorate. The man I grew up watching on that sideline, unable to pretend he was capable of continuing his reign.

When Miller came, I legitamately was skeptical until ‘11. He took a roster of mid-their talent to the brink of a FF in his second year. I too thought that a Ship was inevitable. Now, I have to watch his reputation get dissolved into shit. This is pain.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We wouldn’t be going through any of this if we just hired Tim Floyd
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:If the basketball gods gave me a cruel choice between Miller or Trier, I'd pick Trier.
+1
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
OSCat

Post by OSCat »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:I’ve been heartbroken on so many occasions at the hands of UA basketball. Going back to ‘98 and losing to Utah. ‘01 and watching Gilbert get hurt in the final four which led to the loss against Duke. ‘03 against kansas who we destroyed earlier that season at the Phog when Salim lit them up from 3. Don’t get me started on our collapse against Illinois in ‘05. I thought that the worst feeling in the world was watching Lute deteriorate. The man I grew up watching on that sideline, unable to pretend he was capable of continuing his reign.

When Miller came, I legitamately was skeptical until ‘11. He took a roster of mid-their talent to the brink of a FF in his second year. I too thought that a Ship was inevitable. Now, I have to watch his reputation get dissolved into shit. This is pain.
it's all gravy after Ben Lindsey
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:Its all speculation at this point but I really think Sean is looking for a new start somewhere else. We know he loves this program but he exudes the need for a new start. I don't think he's been happy for awhile. Many factors.

That's my observations, but I wouldn't mind being wrong and may in-fact be wrong.
Between the bad luck in the elite 8, the random crap he's had to deal with from season ending injuries all time, the pac 12 refs and Larry Scott, dumb NCAA suspensions of Trier, etc...I wouldn't blame him at all for want to just leave and get a breath of fresh air elsewhere.

All 100% true Hater. Really kind of sad when you think about it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I feel like we just transitioned our loved one into hospice following a few days of hope waiting around in the icu for things to turn around.

Today would’ve been the day to come out for Miller. And I’m sure as shit it was some ignorant Maricopa co based ABOR that couldn’t be swayed to get on board.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

I think staff turnover wears on coaches. I also think it hurt more than we think when Archie left.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Feeling rattled. May need a break from college hoops. Just for my sanity. Time to use this Headspace subscription.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

pc in NM wrote:
Longhorned wrote:If the basketball gods gave me a cruel choice between Miller or Trier, I'd pick Trier.
+1
The basketball gods are jealous vindictive cunts and their vulgar vainglorious temples should be razed.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

97cats wrote:
NYCat wrote:How good a bag dropper is Billy Donovan
if i told you he was better, would you believe me???
I’ll take Brad Stevens.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
From the article (which is quoting the FBI documents):

""As of now, the coaches haven't asked for anything," he told the witness, "but I'm sure when the time comes, they will, right?" "

How come no one ever quotes THAT part of the investigation...???

This was March of 2017...

It sounds to me like this is a bullshit sandwich between a piece of Dawkins and a piece of Book...

Eat it at your own peril.
This has to be the price to that solves the puzzle right? Schlabach said originally it was 2017...and that timing doesn't make sense at all. But if it was in 2016...the line above shows in the FBI's own records that Arizona hadn't asked for anything.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If they fire him they give credence to ESPN and Hansen, who blatantly lied on radio today.

That makes zero logical sense as nothing has changed since all this broke in September.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:97 knows what I think all of us knew regardless and that's that Arizona and Miller's time together is coming to an end soon. It's a matter of how soon at this point.
ya and its been a good fricking run, I just didn't expect to potentially go down like this.

Sean Miller came to Arizona when we needed him more than ever and produced 242 wins, I can say I'm more than pleased with the results and all the good times that came with it.

I do believe and have since the FBI scandal hit that he was coming down the stretch at AZ - I was hearing more chatter than ever from folks at a different altitude than I was used to.

it appeared to me that after the season both parties would go their separate ways amicably, that can still happen.

let the coach finish his final run and begin the healing process at that point.

and if for some stroke tomorrow Trier gets cleared I believe the Wildcats have the best shot to cut the nets down in Sean Miller's nine years.

Go Cats!!
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Olsondogg wrote:
KP should know that Hansen hasn't been on our side since early in the Lute years. Fuck Hansen!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This is fucking bullshit.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Somewhere from within the difference between vindication and redemption we are going to lose our guy. It fits our fate as we know its history.
Believe it or not the first year I followed the Cats was their worst year ever. It was a tough pill to swallow seeing the score of us losing to UCLA by 50 plus points that year in the newspaper. I thought nothing would change but then Lute Olson got hired and things changed dramatically. A few years later Arizona got to its first Final Four. In some ways I have the same feelings I had in that year before Lute arrived. Miller's been through a lot since he's been here. Lots of success coupled with lots of frustration and heartbreak. No matter what happens I will always be an Arizona Wildcat basketball fan. We've been blessed with a lot of success through the years and I'm thankful for that. I've come this far rooting for the team and I'll go the distance rooting for them. Who knows, maybe things won't turn out as bad as a lot of people think. Sometimes things do have to get worse before they can get better.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
azgreg wrote:God damn it, now I'm out of Jack. Gotta switch to Bacardi. This is that wrinkled ass twatpickle Hansen's fault.
I would love to have a drink with you sometime, I am pretty sure we only live a few miles apart.

Honestly, being in Phoenix, I never paid much attentition to Hansen until these past 4 days. I am sure glad I didnt waste any time on him or his stories any earlier.
39th ave and Tbird.
I lived at 36th Ave. and Cactus on a street called Aster Drive, until I was 4 years old.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Olsondogg wrote:If they fire him they give credence to ESPN and Hansen, who blatantly lied on radio today.

That makes zero logical sense as nothing has changed since all this broke in September.
I don't think a firing is how it will resolve. Just as 97 implies, the toll is mounting on the man and he is disengaging from practices. Even though we don't know exactly why he's disengaging it's not unreasonable to speculate that binary choices aren't what matters to him as a coach, husband, father, individual. He should do what's best for him in totality. It's about more than basketball at this point. I wish him peace.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:I feel like we just transitioned our loved one into hospice following a few days of hope waiting around in the icu for things to turn around.

Today would’ve been the day to come out for Miller. And I’m sure as shit it was some ignorant Maricopa co based ABOR that couldn’t be swayed to get on board.
I'm still on board that more time is better. The intial reaction was SO bad. Friday, I went to bed thinking I'd wake up and he'd be gone.

The longer it goes, the more facts emerge and all the bad initial emotions subside. I don't know where it leads, but it leads to a smarter, better outcome. It leads to an outcome we deserve, not one driven by the lynch mob mentality.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Arizona is in a terrible position. And the 97cats scenario seems like the best case for everyone.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSCat

Post by OSCat »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:97 knows what I think all of us knew regardless and that's that Arizona and Miller's time together is coming to an end soon. It's a matter of how soon at this point.
ya and its been a good fricking run, I just didn't expect to potentially go down like this.

Sean Miller came to Arizona when we needed him more than ever and produced 242 wins, I can say I'm more than pleased with the results and all the good times that came with it.

I do believe and have since the FBI scandal hit that he was coming down the stretch at AZ - I was hearing more chatter than ever from folks at a different altitude than I was used to.

it appeared to me that after the season both parties would go their separate ways amicably, that can still happen.

let the coach finish his final run and begin the healing process at that point.

and if for some stroke tomorrow Trier gets cleared I believe the Wildcats have the best shot to cut the nets down in Sean Miller's nine years.

Go Cats!!
thanks for wisdom and insight
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
azgreg wrote:God damn it, now I'm out of Jack. Gotta switch to Bacardi. This is that wrinkled ass twatpickle Hansen's fault.
I would love to have a drink with you sometime, I am pretty sure we only live a few miles apart.

Honestly, being in Phoenix, I never paid much attentition to Hansen until these past 4 days. I am sure glad I didnt waste any time on him or his stories any earlier.
39th ave and Tbird.
I lived at 36th Ave. and Cactus on a street called Aster Drive, until I was 4 years old.
That house is now a red dot on a sexual predator map.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

I’m still holding out for the Western PA side of Miller that makes him think “fuck it, I’m going to stick around and shove it to all of the doubters.” But, this isn’t Halloween. We can’t all be Pimps from Oakland, Cowboys from Arizona.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Olsondogg wrote:If he was at practice it would have signaled he was back. Just cause he wasn’t doesn’t mean he isn’t. I think it just means no decision.

I think that he gets his last run. Look at the local shitshow today.
Agree. The time for a panic move was Friday or Saturday. A conservative move would have been yesterday. I think it is fine but practice tomorrow or word from Robbins or ABOR would be big.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So who is gonna start the "Miller to Pitt thread"

Maybe we can trade him for Stallings?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

#justus #allin
I'll be at the game Sat if Miller doesn't get to send his seniors off and praise them over a fucking shit show of of i meant umm etc. That will be a sad night.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

At bedtime my 2.5 year old randomly starting singing bear down. That’s not a coincidence guys.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Olsondogg wrote:At bedtime my 2.5 year old randomly starting singing bear down. That’s not a coincidence guys.
Tomorrow will be a better day
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Also the UA alumni president just started following me on Twitter. Also not a coincidence.
GYMIL

Post by GYMIL »

Better wait a year or 2 to see who who has not been linked. I am still with Sean.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Olsondogg wrote:Also the UA alumni president just started following me on Twitter. Also not a coincidence.
What's ur feeling ?
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Any search parties find Schlacock yet?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It’s above...one last stroll through the park.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I will say this. Nobody can use “Well this is a shit show” to describe Arizona basketball ever again.

That’s gotta be a good thing in the long run.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We need to get this situation resolved and play the tourney.

When the offseason comes, first I hope there's a choice and he's not fired or driven out. Then, it's time to sit down and figure out the future. If it leads to a parting of ways, it does. If he stays, he has excelled here.

There's a lot from the Miller era I want to keep. I want AG, TJ and Lauri (and Ayton) to keep repping Arizona in the NBA. I want to remember going from shambles to an Elite Eight in 2 years. I went to McKale the night of the UConn loss to welcome the team home. If TJ decides to be a coach, I want him to consider coming back to Tucson. I want to remember how excited I was to have the #1 ranking when we were undefeated in 2013-14.

I don't want this outcome, whatever it is, to bury that. If it ends with Miller leaving, so be it. If he continues, he's our coach for a reason. I just don't want this to be an end that closes his time here with such a negative that it buries the era. We've done things worth carrying forward.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:It’s above...one last stroll through the park.
I had one of those once, it remains unforgettable. And no euphemisms, it was a lovely evening sitting in a park hashing and rehashing good times till it was time to leave.

Would be awesome to have one last long goodbye with Miller and the cats.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

What coach will want to follow The Witch? Even though no Final Four (this year?), Elite 8's, conference champions, conf tourney titles, and being the face of the west.

A Steve Alford type or a complete flier on one willing to risk it for the tough rebuild.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:There's a lot from the Miller era I want to keep. I want AG, TJ and Lauri (and Ayton) to keep repping Arizona in the NBA. I want to remember going from shambles to an Elite Eight in 2 years. I went to McKale the night of the UConn loss to welcome the team home. If TJ decides to be a coach, I want him to consider coming back to Tucson. I want to remember how excited I was to have the #1 ranking when we were undefeated in 2013-14.

I don't want this outcome, whatever it is, to bury that. If it ends with Miller leaving, so be it. If he continues, he's our coach for a reason. I just don't want this to be an end that closes his time here with such a negative that it buries the era. We've done things worth carrying forward.
Very much appreciate this, Spiff.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Tubby Smith comes for a few transition years?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

You could go through this thread and identify 7 of the 12 stages of grief.

I'm still in denial dang it, it hasn't even happened yet. Come on, I can still see this work out. Let's all go canoeing in Egypt together!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
OSCat

Post by OSCat »

Postmaster wrote:Tubby Smith comes for a few transition years?
Miller is still our coach let's not start this narrative yet
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

97cats wrote:
splitsecond wrote:I mean fuck it, I am game for Romar Ball if he can find an assistant to coach defense :lol:
next year = zero chance

there is a better chance of Sean returning next year than Romar being the head guy in 2018/19
Since it seems like this has been in the works awhile, any names for head coach next year you can divulge that is on our radar?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I would love for the students to hold a rally for Sean Miller tomorrow. Be so loud that the guys in Bristol will hear them.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azcat34 wrote:
97cats wrote:
splitsecond wrote:I mean fuck it, I am game for Romar Ball if he can find an assistant to coach defense :lol:
next year = zero chance

there is a better chance of Sean returning next year than Romar being the head guy in 2018/19
Since it seems like this has been in the works awhile, any names for head coach next year you can divulge that is on our radar?

An alum
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Olsondogg wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
97cats wrote:
next year = zero chance

An alum
Miles Simon
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
97cats wrote:
next year = zero chance

An alum
Miles Simon
Miles didn’t set the world on fire at UA as an assistant.

Give me Damon Stoudamire.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Here is a shirt idea.

ESPN Sucks,
Dick
Vitale