Ivan Rabb

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

az91

Re: Ivan Rabb

Post by az91 »

Merkin wrote:Swanigan to Arizona! If he can refuse Chicago State.

Why even include Chicago State in the list? That is below zero chance.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

rgdeuce wrote:Lol. No sour grapes here, we all knew how this was going to end, but where there is smoke there is fire. Not buying any of this being completely 100, at all. Star recruits are going to hook up like this for kentucky, kansas, UNC, us, Duke, etc. We all saw how the Fab 5 ended and even with that, it made sense, almost all of those guys were from that region and that program was fairly hot off the glen rice team's title.

But this dude who has, correct me of im wrong, no track record of recruiting even close to this level, who Tennessee fans ran out (justifed or not) and is not even close to being a hot name in coaching, this dude is going to come in the 11th hour and pry three top 8 guys from Arizona, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas etc? And two of those guys are going clear across the country? For Cal of all schools? Why is the number 1 or 2 recruit in the country essentially being a follower?

Either Martin sold his soul to the devil, or there is something extremely fishy about all this. The be the start of something great thing doesnt fly either. You dont build a program or a legacy as a one and done player and thats what at least two of them are.
right on. it's just mind-boggling how martin was able to sell rabb with that stupid slogan and convoluted logic of being a cal legend in his one compulsory year in college.

i read somewhere that upon accepting the cal job, cuonzo's first and foremost marching orders were to recruit & sign ivan rabb... which seemed a bit unusual/misprioritized given all the other things martin had to deal with to get cal bb's house in order (e.g., academics, upcoming preseason) - not to mention that rabb is a '15 recruit. nonetheless, rabb was the #1 focus and cuonzo went all-in. fine. but we may be giving martin a lot more credit than is due.

the only reason recruits like brown and swanigan are even considering cal is because of rabb. and IR seems to be doing much of the heavy lifting with their recruitment. i mean, credit to cuonzo if he foresaw rabb as a "gateway recruit" to his aau buds. but let's face it, JB and CS are being recruited by IR, and they want to play with IR. not martin. not his system or staff. not cal.

and as ridiculous as the "be the start of something" line is, i'm glad that ivan put it out there. shortens the shelf-life of cuonzo's marketing tactic and forces him to rethink his schtick.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

az91 wrote:
Merkin wrote:Swanigan to Arizona! If he can refuse Chicago State.

Why even include Chicago State in the list? That is below zero chance.
if caleb REALLY wants to be the very start of something, he'll go chicago state and bring rabb along. in fact, i hope they're getting calls from mid-major coaches telling them to put their money where their mouths are.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:If Rabb announces to Arizona, the abrupt 180 in this thread will be fun.
I'm 60/40 on Rabb. I'll say which is which soon.

I'm going MSU for Swanigan, just to be different.
Good call.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Wow, lots of people wrong about Swanigan to Cal.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

lol have fun Rabb
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I would have gone to the state of Chicago. Interesting call. Go beat up wiscy for me....oh and you can tank one game next year in California. Too much to ask?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Come on down Ivan!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AZCatGirl wrote:
gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:If Rabb announces to Arizona, the abrupt 180 in this thread will be fun.

Good call.
Hold on to your butts.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i guess no package deal then. jaylen brown to kentucky or ucla. rabb still open to arizona. still probably cal though.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

cuonzo seems to be taking the news well, har har
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How soon to the: Ivan Rabb Chemistry Thread is posted?

Last edited by Merkin on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

If JB doesn't go to Cal & Tyrone Wallace goes to the NBA, IR would be all alone at Cal. How long does he wait now to make a decision?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Last edited by gumby on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote:If JB doesn't go to Cal & Tyrone Wallace goes to the NBA, IR would be all alone at Cal. How long does he wait now to make a decision?

I think mom already made the decision.

But he really doesn't need to make a decision until the summer. No reason to sign a NLI at this late stage, he can just sign athletic financial aid papers before classes start.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

gumby

Post by gumby »

The Chicago State board is ... uh ... wait ... do they have one?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Starting to think Tollefson > Rabb in just about all facets. Zeus is back, so post runs through him and Ristic. We are thin at wing where it seems Tollefson can play in a pinch. Guy is a senior so probably a good locker room guy. Who knows how Rabb will take being far away from home - could see him having one foot out the door towards the NBA, and not buying into the SM team-first concept so easily. Especially if he doesn't get the numbers early and then it's a downward spiral from there. We have plenty of offensive firepower on this team anyway.

Not saying we can't have both. But think I'd take the senior glue guy over the frosh drama queen.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

84Cat wrote:If JB doesn't go to Cal & Tyrone Wallace goes to the NBA, IR would be all alone at Cal. How long does he wait now to make a decision?
if this happens, someone needs to update the "lonely herb" meme to "lonely ivan"
threenumberones

gumby wrote:

Scheer is such a tool :lol:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't think Brown is going to Cal.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Coop Cat wrote:
Just more glory for Ivan when he takes Cal to the national title all by himself.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:Just spent the last hour watching interviews with Rabb. Maybe im finding things that aren't true but he doesn't have the vibe of a Sean Miller player.

He seems to have a big ego and is not focused on winning in college but in simply showcasing his talents.

Im probably wrong but he looks like another kid over hyped by the seedy AAU circuit.
Not sure how that lines up with the fact that Rabb is open about wanting to play with good players and that he wants Cal to upgrade their talent level before he commits. Seems like he wants to play for a winner, not just any old team where he can dominate the ball.
Thank you for being one of the adults in this thread... It is refreshing (as are pretty much all of your takes).

On another front, I am glad Ka'deem wanted to stay home and get "fluffed by mommy" - whatever the fvck that means.

And I know it is an unpopular opinion, but I think Scheer would be well served to turn off his Twitter account. From thinking he was front-runninq Rabb's announcement the day of the CIF championship game, to his derogatory tweets about the kid since - it's not flattering. A grown man condescending a kid on a message board is bad enough - doing it in the twitterverse is exponentially worse - especially when many associate you with the program your website happens to be dedicated to.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

threenumberones wrote:Starting to think Tollefson > Rabb in just about all facets. Zeus is back, so post runs through him and Ristic. We are thin at wing where it seems Tollefson can play in a pinch. Guy is a senior so probably a good locker room guy. Who knows how Rabb will take being far away from home - could see him having one foot out the door towards the NBA, and not buying into the SM team-first concept so easily. Especially if he doesn't get the numbers early and then it's a downward spiral from there. We have plenty of offensive firepower on this team anyway.

Not saying we can't have both. But think I'd take the senior glue guy over the frosh drama queen.
Tollefson's rebounding #'s are low, and we are fine on the wing. In college, it is easy to run a 3 guard setup, and we have tons of people for that 3 guard rotation. It is especially easy to go 3 guards when you have a 4 and 5 who rebound well.

You want the more talented guy. Most big recruits love them some drama. Even AG and SJ had televised sh9ws to announce their decisions.

I get the frustration with Rabb, but there's a reason Miller isn't walking away. Fans get all obsessed with bleeding red and blue, but it matters more that a guy works hard on the floor. If he busts his ass on the court, I don't care if Rabb walks around Tucson in Cal Bears gear.

He's still probably going to Cal.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

AZCatGirl wrote:
gumby wrote:

Good call.
Is this real???Not Fake???
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthrea ... t842479869

They're taking Swanigan quite well, actually.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

3goggles wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:
gumby wrote:

Good call.
Is this real???Not Fake???
http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Seas ... ll/Commits

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Looks legit. But...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.oregonlive.com/hoop-summit/i ... rward.html
Consensus five-star power forward Ivan Rabb, out of Bishop O'Dowd High School (Oakland, California), sat down with The Oregonian/OregonLive after Team USA's Friday morning practice to discuss his impending college decision between Cal and Arizona and what he's learned during this week's Nike Hoop Summit practices.

On when he'll make a decision:

"I don't know. I'm not sure yet. I plan on doing it within the next couple weeks and getting it over with."

On the deciding between Cal and Arizona:

"I think I've seen everything that there is to see, it's just me being 100 percent happy with my decision. I'm not sure what'll be the deciding factor. Maybe I will wake up in the morning and just be like, 'This is the best place for me.' I'm just looking for a family atmosphere and a place I can go and know that if anything goes bad I still want to be there."

On how he will announce:

"I'm not doing TV. Most likely I'll tweet it or something like that, because I don't really want to be in the spotlight like that."

On reporters questioning his inclusion of Cal:

"It does get old, but I think it's kind of discrediting the coaches. They didn't have the best season this year, but they started out very well. They had some lapses and you can tell they have a few missing pieces. I think they need a big guy, a guy that is going to bring energy, passion and is going to try to take over games."

On his personal recruitment of five-star center Caleb Swanigan, who is also considering Arizona and Cal:

"It would be something special if we teamed up together. That would be two great bigs on the inside, as well as the guard play that (Cal) already has. At the end of the day, I want him to make the best decision for him, whether it's Cal or not. Maybe I don't go there, maybe I go to Arizona, but as long as we make the best decision for ourselves... I'll be happy."

On what he likes about Arizona:

"There's going to be playing time and they are a great program. They have great coaches. Their program gets to the tournament every year and plays very well. They just need to get over the hump and get to the Final Four."

On how he stacks up against the nation's best at Nike Hoop Summit:

"I think I know how I stack up. I'm not scared of anybody. I believe I'm the best big here, no matter what. I just need to come out and play well. It's about me showing everyone else. I'm confident in my game, I know what I'm capable of and I know my potential."

On the atmosphere during the week:

"It's just really fun, playing with these guys. Everything is competitive, every drill is competitive. It's about going hard and not wasting reps. I think I've gotten better since I've been here."

On player(s) that has most impressed him this week:

"You could say that about all the guys. I would say (Arizona signee) Allonzo (Trier). He scores a lot of points, but he does it efficiently. Whenever he gets an open look, he has a mindset to knock down every open look that he has. He has the capability to make tough shots, but anything that's open is pretty much going in."

"(Duke-bound) Luke Kennard - he can shoot the ball very, very well - lights out. He can put it on the floor. I didn't know he could put it on the floor as well as he can, but he can put it on the floor and get a shot off."

On area of his game he most wants to work on:

"I haven't been shooting as much here, because I have other things I need to do to impact the team. That's something I want to improve on, because you can never be a good enough shooter. As I get stronger and extend my range it'll open up my game a lot."

-- Andrew Nemec
anemec@oregonian.com
@AndrewNemec
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

"Within the next couple of weeks"

Hmmm..
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:

So I take it Rabb got trolled too?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

threenumberones wrote:Starting to think Tollefson > Rabb in just about all facets. Zeus is back, so post runs through him and Ristic. We are thin at wing where it seems Tollefson can play in a pinch. Guy is a senior so probably a good locker room guy. Who knows how Rabb will take being far away from home - could see him having one foot out the door towards the NBA, and not buying into the SM team-first concept so easily. Especially if he doesn't get the numbers early and then it's a downward spiral from there. We have plenty of offensive firepower on this team anyway.

I would love it it miller pulled the carpet under Rabb and was about to get a Tollefson commitment before IR. See ya, have fun stinking it up for da bears.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

This.

With the package deal dead as a doornail and Wallace probably gone to the league Rabb has two choices:

1) Attend Cal and finishing in the middle of the PAC12 and watching the 2016 NCAA tournament from his dorm room....or
2) Making another run at the PAC12 title and another deep run in the NCAA's with AZ. This should not be a
difficult decision.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dmjcat wrote:

This.

With the package deal dead as a doornail and Wallace probably gone to the league Rabb has two choices:

1) Attend Cal and finishing in the middle of the PAC12 and watching the 2016 NCAA tournament from his dorm room....or
2) Making another run at the PAC12 title and another deep run in the NCAA's with AZ. This should not be a
difficult decision.
staying home and family is never something to underestimate. but from a pure basketball standpoint, arizona is a no brainer. with tarc returning and if rabb comes, we are a legit top 5-6 team preseason again and a 30+ win team, favorite to be a 1-3 seed and a final four threat again.

if they get neither swanigan, brown and wallace goes pro, then even with rabb cal is at best a nit/ncaa play in game team that finishes like 4th/5th in the conference.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

'97 is preaching patience again....
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Alieberman wrote:'97 is preaching patience again....
:lol:

Patience is back on?

The funny thing is if we're talking one and done, I'm not so sure I'd rather not have the fifth year senior Tolefson as some have previously mentioned.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:'97 is preaching patience again....
He's doing more than that now...must be drinking...or...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Smart choice by Swanigan. There just wasnt any logical explanation for him going to Cal
gumby

Post by gumby »

Scheer is really riding Rabb. Agree with Harvey. Not a good look.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

So without much connectivity the past few days help me catch up. Basically:

Swanigan goes to MSU
Blowing the package deal Cal was hoping for
And now odds are better for Rabb?

Is it?

When does Rabb decide?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Rabb could wait until July if he wants to.

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Playing in the Nike Hoops Summit in 20 minutes on ESPN2 along with Trier.
Last edited by Main Event on Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

And do any of our possible returnees impact Rabb ' s decision at all? I am fully asking...I have no idea. Does Rabb care about a 5 coming back? Does he care about not being the main guy if Stan comes back? Or does he just want to win?

A lot of you all are more in tune with the kid and his motivations than I am. Obviously, I don't care what Rabb wants in relation to our hopeful returnees...He is a distant 3rd on my wish list behind Zeus and the potential greatest gift of all in Stan. But what is his makeup? With his attempt at helping recruit a superclass to Cal, I would infer he wants to win, but wanted to stay at home to do so. Is he more about home/saving Cal? Does he want to be the "man" or is he confident enough in his own game to just want to play with greatness, where we'd be even more enticing with potential returns by Zeus and/or Stan?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I already feel like Tarc's return made Rabb's decision less significant. If SJ comes back, well, we're a top 3 team without Rabb.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

EVCat wrote:And do any of our possible returnees impact Rabb ' s decision at all? I am fully asking...I have no idea. Does Rabb care about a 5 coming back? Does he care about not being the main guy if Stan comes back? Or does he just want to win?

A lot of you all are more in tune with the kid and his motivations than I am. Obviously, I don't care what Rabb wants in relation to our hopeful returnees...He is a distant 3rd on my wish list behind Zeus and the potential greatest gift of all in Stan. But what is his makeup? With his attempt at helping recruit a superclass to Cal, I would infer he wants to win, but wanted to stay at home to do so. Is he more about home/saving Cal? Does he want to be the "man" or is he confident enough in his own game to just want to play with greatness, where we'd be even more enticing with potential returns by Zeus and/or Stan?
Clearly isn't the case when you are contemplating going to play for Cuonzo at Cal. :lol:
threenumberones

gumby wrote:Scheer is really riding Rabb. Agree with Harvey. Not a good look.
He's creeping into Ace territory for me..
Azcats94

Post by Azcats94 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Rabb could wait until July if he wants to.
Why doesn't Rabb go play with Swanigan at Michigan St. if it is so important to him? :lol:
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

He played terrible in the Mcdaa game and has pouted to the refs on both his missed shots in this game so far. Terrible player.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:He played terrible in the Mcdaa game and has pouted to the refs on both his missed shots in this game so far. Terrible player.
Kansas should sign some terrible players like him sometime. Maybe they'll get out of the first weekend then.

enfuego

Post by enfuego »

ASUHATER! wrote:
enfuego wrote:He played terrible in the Mcdaa game and has pouted to the refs on both his missed shots in this game so far. Terrible player.
Kansas should sign some terrible players like him sometime. Maybe they'll get out of the first weekend then.
We already have a commitment from a better post player in Bragg and will soon have a commitment from Diallo, who is also better than Rabb. Hopefully we can land one of Newman, Ingram or Brown to round out the class. Believe all of these targets are rated higher than your incoming class.

Excuse me while I go hang that recruiting banner in my living room.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "