Post by HiCat »

azgreg

Re: Josh Jackson

Post by azgreg »

Did he say Trier is coming back?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Will Ferguson wait until Jackson makes a decision?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
billk78

Post by billk78 »

azgreg wrote:
Did he say Trier is coming back?
Sounded like an assumption. I guess experts are thinking he needs another year. They would be correct.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

March 22, 2016

Although Arizona and Michigan State made early exits from the NCAA Tournament, Jackson said Wildcat and Spartan fans should not worry about that.

“I saw,” Jackson said of the losses. “Just watching college basketball all this year, there have already been so many upsets during the regular season. I could just tell how March Madness was going to go, because so many teams were already losing. So, I knew it was going to be a pretty ugly year.”

What he is looking for in a school is not just about wins and losses.

“Number one is the trust factor,” Jackson said of his selection criteria. “I just want to be around people I can trust and who are going to push me to become better on and off the court. Two is style of play. Each team plays pretty fast. I think that is where I’m best, when we are playing fast, or in the open court, transition. Three, I kind of already said it in the first one: to be under a coach who is going to push me and not just kiss my butt because I am who I am or they want me so bad. Push me to get better.”

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/20 ... ummit.aspx" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

So a coach who will call you a "mother f----er" when you don't do what is expected and tell him to "relax" thereafter. :lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Same thing I said!

Hmmm....

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'll say this. I have a lot of respect for Izzo. With JJ, I would understand if he chose MSU over us. It's not like Rabb and Cal, where one place has a much better rep as far as coaching and developing goes.

JJ's comments echo something Stanley said after the Utah game when Miller yanked him for defensive effort. "I came to Arizona to be coached." Those are the guys you want, who seek out someone to coach them, not just cater to them.

Like I said, I'd feel better if we were up against someone other than Izzo, because if anyone is Miller's equal in that department, Izzo is.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

But still no definite date for his decision.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Could be this week, could be the McDonald's game, could go until April. Even after the fact there's still China waiting in the wings.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That is a very promising interview.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

McD's AA game is on March 30th
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

JJ's always said late spring. I'm sure he wants to see what some of the possible roster turnover might look like in the next month or so. Or if he's comfortable, as mentioned, some time around the McD's game makes sense too.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dude seems real calculating wrt his career.

I like that. Of course I hope he comes to arizona but will wish him the best whatever he chooses.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah my guess isn't for another month. Until after the final four and a couple weeks to see who declares for the draft. Probably won't be in May, but probably not in the next two weeks.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If we do land Jackson will he be the highest rated recruit ever at Arizona?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azgreg wrote:If we do land Jackson will he be the highest rated recruit ever at Arizona?
I still think Mike Bibby holds that. His class was loaded and he was a nationally recognized prep, once voted in 2004 as a top-25 Prep talent of all time.

Both he and Ebi (2003) were consensus #2 recruit in class (behind Kobe and LeBron, respectively).

Josh at consensus #1 would technically be tops, but hard to top Bibby.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:
azgreg wrote:If we do land Jackson will he be the highest rated recruit ever at Arizona?
I still think Mike Bibby holds that. His class was loaded and he was a nationally recognized prep, once voted in 2004 as a top-25 Prep talent of all time.

Both he and Ebi (2003) were consensus #2 recruit in class (behind Kobe and LeBron, respectively).

Josh at consensus #1 would technically be tops, but hard to top Bibby.
It depends, I would think the area JJ exceeds other Arizona recruits is in his potential to be the best overall player produced by the school. Physically, he's a prototype NBA wing with a good skillset. You look at a consistent allstar like Paul George and see that as the sort of NBA career that is likely for JJ.

That sort of player (the consistent allstar) is the one area Arizona really hasn't produced a guy at the next level. We've had guys spend a few seasons at the allstar level, but no one like JJ who you would see as being there for 5-10 years.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We counting Jennings or na?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

JMark was Bibby really the consensus #2? I remember someone important saying Stanley was the highest pull we ever had at Arizona, and he was a consensus #3. I know it is just one opinion, but I had a mag back then that ranked the top prospects, trying my hardest to remember what it was, and Bibby was behind several names, though I cannot remember where specifically he was, guessing in that 4-7 range. I tried looking for it and came across Sporting News who had him 6th behind Kobe, Tim Thomas, Lester Earl, Jermaine O'neal, and Ronnie Fields; and somewhere else where Prep Stars ranked him 9th. Its a little easier to find stuff on Ebi, im seeing him 3, 4, or 5. If anyone knows, or at least knows where to find the rankings it would be you or Clip.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Budinger was Rivals #4. Both Stanley and Gordon were Rivals #3. Not really a big deal at this point, but yea JJ would be up near the top, if not the top.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Please, JJ. Let UofA nation and the people of Tucson embrace you like you've never been embraced before. It'll be the best year of your life.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Jackson is either 1 or 2 in a very good class. Bibby and Ebi obviously had (at least to this point) a much better #1 player in their class, but neither of them was the number 2 recruit in their class and the drop off after Kobe was pretty big. I would put JJ just ahead of AG and Stanley, I do not count Ebi since he never played here. Regardless, he will be a great player wherever he ends up, let's hope he likes the nice weather and a coach he is familiar with.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

24/7 has composite of the best all time recruits (but it's only since 2000).

Ebi is #1

http://arizona.247sports.com/Sport/Bask ... meRecruits" target="_blank

Idk why Ebi is included but not Jennings, but if had he been included, he would have been No. 1 w/ a .9996 score
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Some of those are weird, like PJC over Jawann McClellan? And no D-Will on the list either unless I missed him.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

pokinmik wrote:Some of those are weird, like PJC over Jawann McClellan? And no D-Will on the list either unless I missed him.
D Will was not a highly sought after recruit, Solomon Hill was the highest rated in that class followed by Parrom.

Also the 2004 class with Jawan seems all messed up, Sebastian Telfair was a lottery pick out of high school but based on his score he would have been right below Fendi Onubon on are all time recruit list.
Last edited by gronk4heisman on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Scout and rivals and other services have different ratings, for example Justin Simon is a 5* on scout but he's a mid 4* on 247, espn.

That's a composite of all sites

If Josh Jackson commits new all time rankings would be.

#1 Josh Jackson -- .9997 composite

#2 Brandon Jennings -- .9996 composite

#3 Ndudi Ebi -- .9990 composite

#4 Aaron Gordon -- .9989 composite

#5 Stanley Johnson -- .9988 composite
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:24/7 has composite of the best all time recruits (but it's only since 2000).

Ebi is #1

Idk why Ebi is included but not Jennings, but if had he been included, he would have been No. 1 w/ a .9996 score
For a second, I thought you meant he was #1 in his class and almost pooped my pants given he was in the same class as LeBron.

I see where you're going with that now.

Just by the way, it's striking that Lute was HC for roughly the same # of years as Miller in that sample and that the top 10 is so decidedly Miller centric.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat wrote:24/7 has composite of the best all time recruits (but it's only since 2000).

Ebi is #1

Pretty sure Chris Paul was the #1 PG ahead of Shakur. But that was on Rivals.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well Jerry Meyer just changed his crystal ball pick from Arizona to Kansas. He did pick Arizona to land Terrance Ferguson on the very same day so I'm going to guess that was 100000000% the reason he did that.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Well Jerry Meyer just changed his crystal ball pick from Arizona to Kansas. He did pick Arizona to land Terrance Ferguson on the very same day so I'm going to guess that was 100000000% the reason he did that.

hmmmm :?:

http://247sports.com/Player/Terrance-Ferguson-31759" target="_blank

Kansas?? :?

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

gronk4heisman wrote:
pokinmik wrote:Some of those are weird, like PJC over Jawann McClellan? And no D-Will on the list either unless I missed him.
D Will was not a highly sought after recruit, Solomon Hill was the highest rated in that class followed by Parrom.

Also the 2004 class with Jawan seems all messed up, Sebastian Telfair was a lottery pick out of high school but based on his score he would have been right below Fendi Onubon on are all time recruit list.
I know D-Will was only in 3* territory but the list has Judkins and Matt Brase for gods sake. He should be on there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That will work if this doesn't:
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Well Jerry Meyer just changed his crystal ball pick from Arizona to Kansas. He did pick Arizona to land Terrance Ferguson on the very same day so I'm going to guess that was 100000000% the reason he did that.

From a Michigan St insider article apparently
Jerry Meyer: Rumblings are growing that Kansas has positioned itself as the team to beat for Jackson.

Michigan State people think it's between them and KU, KU people think it's between them and Sparty

5 predictions coming today for Arizona on Ferguson, including Meyer probably one of the best out there. Jerry Meyer probably think we can't get both or its really between MSU and KU.
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So no one at msu or KU thinks Arizona is even in the picture for Jackson m
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Haha az is an afterthought to these clowns.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So, basically, every school thinks they are the leader for JJ?

The upside, I've never been more confident in thinking Arizona is the leader for JJ. Because Arizona is my favorite school.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So what happened? Did ariozna fall off or is this just east coast media bs?
az91

Post by az91 »

NYCat wrote:

From a Michigan St insider article apparently
Jerry Meyer: Rumblings are growing that Kansas has positioned itself as the team to beat for Jackson.

Michigan State people think it's between them and KU, KU people think it's between them and Sparty

5 predictions coming today for Arizona on Ferguson, including Meyer probably one of the best out there. Jerry Meyer probably think we can't get both or its really between MSU and KU.
Well, better one than none. Just hope no one ends up at KU.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:So what happened? Did ariozna fall off or is this just east coast media bs?
The silence from 97 is deafening.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:So what happened? Did ariozna fall off or is this just east coast media bs?
I think Arizona still has as good a shot as anyone.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
I think Arizona still has as good a shot as anyone.
Why, Chi? Just a gut feeling? Because there's been very little indication recently, if any, that JJ is leaning AZ.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Nobody literally knows anything in regards to Josh Jackson. Kept tight to the vest type of recruitment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I heard Josh Jackson is high on Trump's list of nominees for Secretary of State.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I heard Josh Jackson is high on Trump's list of nominees for Secretary of State.
Except this. Everybody knows this.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

But what are the indications? If a kid goes back and forth, how do we really know? You look at charts that show how we were hot then cold then hot then cold...but the kid only picks once. So we depend on rumors? Things an uncle tells a writer? Are we to believe a kid that takes this long to pick and seems to be as in control as he is actually is telling people anything of value? Indications are based on what, exactly? People who have to publish an opinion every so often to make money? So if Meyer said it was us then was Kansas, was he wrong before or now? Or are we to believe Jackson makes these decisions from time to time then leaks them? And since only one of these will be right, will this change in a month like it did last month? Is he actual changing his mind over and over? Seems doubtful.

Sometimes recruiting is treated like a cumulative thing, like a candidate winning delegates. Well, he has been leaning this way, and is leaning more, but did lean the other way the months ago? So maybe he leans a new way in two weeks? I just cannot imagine there is nearly as much actual change in where he thinks he will go as there is change in 24/7 predictions. So one doesn't seem related to the other at all.

And this has nothing to do with whether I want him at Arizona (I do) or my own info (I have none). It just, at face, seems really weird how much stock is put into all these "changes" of something that has probably never changed, and is purely based on whatever he wants people to know. We were thr leader, then not, then were, then are out...it is like some kind of roulette wheel. Will we be hot again on decision day? Who knows...but the whole idea that this is actually as liquid as the "experts" report is hard to buy. I'm more inclined to believe he has known by and large where he will go, has maybe changed his mind once and been more accepting of other possibilities here and there, and tells each reporter what will make them happiest. Then they report it as fact. I guess I don't buy any "recent inclinations" other than when he announces a reduction of his list and his choice
Last edited by EVCat on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just please don't let him go to Kansas.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

rgdeuce wrote:JMark was Bibby really the consensus #2? I remember someone important saying Stanley was the highest pull we ever had at Arizona, and he was a consensus #3. I know it is just one opinion, but I had a mag back then that ranked the top prospects, trying my hardest to remember what it was, and Bibby was behind several names, though I cannot remember where specifically he was, guessing in that 4-7 range. I tried looking for it and came across Sporting News who had him 6th behind Kobe, Tim Thomas, Lester Earl, Jermaine O'neal, and Ronnie Fields; and somewhere else where Prep Stars ranked him 9th. Its a little easier to find stuff on Ebi, im seeing him 3, 4, or 5. If anyone knows, or at least knows where to find the rankings it would be you or Clip.
Street & Smith had a composite, and not only was he #2 in the class, in 2003 or 2004 they had another panel, and he was ranked 25th greatest Prep prospect of all time by the magazine. Kobe was in early teens, as I recall.

I know Ebi had a #2 ranking right alongside Deng for #2 in 2003 class.

I doubt I still have the magazine, as I threw most of them out when I moved a decade ago. But before message boards, I hoarded Street & Smith, Lindy's, Athlon recruiting magazines.

I don't know if these composites factored in the Internet, as prep recruiting sites were just starting to blossom in early oughts, but I as clear as day remember what I'm saying to you now from Street & Smith.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Ebi is #1

When u think about it, the Ebi decision was the dumbest EE decision in UA history by far. Prob top 3 all time. Far worse than Grant, which was complete lunacy in its own right.

And it was all because he got some hype for checking Lebron on like 4 or 5 possessions in an all-star game lol.

Lebron still got MVP and it wasn't close.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:

Ebi is #1

When u think about it, the Ebi decision was the dumbest EE decision in UA history by far. Prob top 3 all time. Far worse than Grant, which was complete lunacy in its own right.

And it was all because he got some hype for checking Lebron on like 4 or 5 possessions in an all-star game lol.

Lebron still got MVP and it wasn't close.
Ebi got a guaranteed 1st round contract. With that fact alone his decision was light years ahead of Jerrett's.