Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SCCats

Re: Sean Miller

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
midnightx wrote:No need to jump to conclusions based on a Pitt blog post.
Stop being reasonable. There’s no room for that at a time like this. :lol:
I don't see what choice we have other than to leap to conclusions. Miller is gone, and we are replacing him with whoever is in the front of my mind at this moment.
:lol:
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

We all know he'd answer the Cat signal
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
midnightx wrote:No need to jump to conclusions based on a Pitt blog post.
Stop being reasonable. There’s no room for that at a time like this. :lol:
I don't see what choice we have other than to leap to conclusions. Miller is gone, and we are replacing him with whoever is in the front of my mind at this moment.
Elle McPherson? What?
I'm reading a book on WWII and the North African campaign and am up to Rommel's offensive towards Kasserine Pass, so I smell a Desert Fox part 2.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TatetheGreat wrote:We all know he'd answer the Cat signal
Well yeah, I mean, I'd take the job too, and I'm about as much in the ballpark as Miles.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Well yeah, I mean, I'd take the job too, and I'm about as much in the ballpark as Miles.
I think he'd have better references.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SabinoDrifter wrote:Pitt is so desperate to be relevant in football/men's basketball. I wouldn't believe anything coming from the Pittsburgh media, they're a mouthpiece for the athletic department.

As others noted, Hurley turned them down and I seriously doubt they were even a consideration.

Who knows what happens with Miller, just playing devil's advocate here.
Crazy local media actually backs their team?!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TatetheGreat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Well yeah, I mean, I'd take the job too, and I'm about as much in the ballpark as Miles.
I think he'd have better references.
I know people.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Down goes UK
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

CalStateTempe wrote:
SabinoDrifter wrote:Pitt is so desperate to be relevant in football/men's basketball. I wouldn't believe anything coming from the Pittsburgh media, they're a mouthpiece for the athletic department.

As others noted, Hurley turned them down and I seriously doubt they were even a consideration.

It's not really backing their team, moreso Pittsburgh is a pro sports town and Pitt athletics fights for attention.

For reference, Pitt's football team hasn't finished in the final AP poll top 10 since DAN MARINO was their quarterback.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No alums without any prior success as a head coach at the collegiate level!!!!

Even Reggie Geary would be a better choice than Simon. At least Geary was COY in the NBDL.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

97cats wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:
97 - you are my favorite. You know this. I have a hard time remembering disagreeing with you & the couple times we've shared drinks & games have been fantastic. I do wonder though - because we haven't spoken a lot recently & I could have missed posts - how does the problem at PG the last couple years translate to, "It's time for a fresh start" or "turn the page"?

I'm still at ride or die with Coach Miller. I think he's the best option we have - and I don't think it's even a bad option - flaws & mistakes & all. Am I misreading something?

Cheers,

BDV
first i dont think youre misreading anything, i can fully understand why you still feel this way about Miller and im sure there are far more of you than me, i appreciate that.

as for the PG, it has nothing to do with the quotes above other than the gaping hole at that spot was the beginning of the downturn on the floor, and led to so much of the problems for Arizona both on/off (accountability, chemistry, leadership, etc.) the floor including the NCAA Tournament results that consequently has been one of the black eyes against Miller (imo) as we sit here today.

the larger issue is the situation with Book and the FBI and how Miller is perceived across the college basketball landscape, mesh that together with the off court issues and noise in Tucson and the failed performance on the floor and we are where we are nine years deep through my lens.

if Miler woulda had Final Four success on the floor any of the last 5-6 years the issues off the floor would be mitigated a bit due to the equity he woulda built (to AZ Fans and such) on the floor in the form of tournament success.

the PG over the last three years (and to a larger extent the guards in general who Miller road) have put him/us here because the results on the floor when it counted were well below average, and its a damn shame.

off the floor Miller has an entirely different ball of wax to contend with that is under a much finer microscope due to the content/message above.
Thank you for explaining it to me clearer. I can understand & get behind all of that. I guess I just feel like (first four-five years especially) Miller took me (my lens) from being worried Arizona was going to be UNLV & handled the program in a way that reminded me of my Olson upbringing, even though it was completely different. Arizona basketball was fun again, even when it felt snake bit.

My brother kinda quit earlier this year...and I didn't really understand it until the end...sometimes too much is too much.

And it's not like I'm not going to be a die hard, crazy fan regardless of what happens. I just want what's best for the program & I think Miller has earned as much leeway as he's been crippled by the negative things & mistakes.

Cheers,

BDV
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:No alums without any prior success as a head coach at the collegiate level!!!!

Even Reggie Geary would be a better choice than Simon. At least Geary was COY in the NBDL.
I think he was only the COY in the Japan Basketball League.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:No alums without any prior success as a head coach at the collegiate level!!!!

I think he was only the COY in the Japan Basketball League.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Geary" target="_blank
In 2012, Geary was named coach of the year while at the helm for the Japanese professional basketball league's Yokohama B-Corsairs.[3] The following season, Geary led the B-Corsairs to the league title, becoming the league's first foreign-born coach to win the championship.[8]
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am sure it is nothing but Pitt cancelled a meeting today about the Coaching Search
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I mean, Sean issued an unequivocal statement saying he's not a candidate at Pitt, so I'm a little confused why this remains a topic of interest on here.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:I mean, Sean issued an unequivocal statement saying he's not a candidate at Pitt, so I'm a little confused why this remains a topic of interest on here.
Because speculation springs eternal.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:I mean, Sean issued an unequivocal statement saying he's not a candidate at Pitt, so I'm a little confused why this remains a topic of interest on here.
Larry Smith
Nick Saban
Roy Williams

I dont think he will go to Pitt but Bosy seems very convinced and there is history of people saying they arent going somewhere then going there days later.

Again I dont think it is the case, I dont want it to be the case, and Sean has shown to have more integrity and honesty than those above, but with Bosy being so convinced and then this happening today, it is at least a little interesting.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Bosy would have bet 4 digits. Let's see if his imaginary bet wins because this is our offseason entertainment
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Larry Smith
Nick Saban
Roy Williams

I dont think he will go to Pitt but Bosy seems very convinced and there is history of people saying they arent going somewhere then going there days later.

Again I dont think it is the case, I dont want it to be the case, and Sean has shown to have more integrity and honesty than those above, but with Bosy being so convinced and then this happening today, it is at least a little interesting.
Is there a significance to Bosy?

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk, but I don't remember him providing a lot of insider info and most of his above sources are chatter.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Clearly, Bosy knows what smells real.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Can someone fire up flight tracker? Or is that too passé.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm having a hard time understanding the strong objection to former 'Cats as possible HCs, especially guys with college coaching experience like Simon and Stoudamire.

Brad Stevens: was an assistant at Butler for 6 years before getting hired as the HC.

Chris Mack: assistant at Xavier for 5 years before being promoted to HC.

Mark Few: assistant at Zaga for 9 years before being promoted to HC.

Everybody's gotta start somewhere. Simon has already been an assistant at AZ and is currently an assistant for the Lakers. Stoudamire has also been an assistant for us and has only recently started as HC at Pacific.

I get that these two in particular do not have the kind of experience we'd like to see for an AZ coaching candidate, but they're also Wildcats and understand Lute's legacy and the expectations at this program.

If Miller's days are numbered in Tucson, I'd definitely be open to interviewing some former Cats about the job.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I will say it does seem bit weird. Miller appears to be on the recruiting trail and making progress on bringing BW back into the fold and has Doutrive (sp) looking like he will ink with us. Also grabbing a couple other guys late seems plausible. Just seems weird to blow up all this work.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What’s going on?

I step away for a few days and now we are scared that Miller is going to Pitt? What Azcat49 said. This doesn’t make sense if he’s out there recruiting bw and that other dude.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:

I'm having a hard time understanding the strong objection to former 'Cats as possible HCs, especially guys with college coaching experience like Simon and Stoudamire.

Brad Stevens: was an assistant at Butler for 6 years before getting hired as the HC.

Everybody's gotta start somewhere. Simon has already been an assistant at AZ and is currently an assistant for the Lakers. Stoudamire has also been an assistant for us and has only recently started as HC at Pacific.

I get that these two in particular do not have the kind of experience we'd like to see for an AZ coaching candidate, but they're also Wildcats and understand Lute's legacy and the expectations at this program.

If Miller's days are numbered in Tucson, I'd definitely be open to interviewing some former Cats about the job.
Simon hasn't been in college coaching for awhile now. I think that should tell you something. Stoudamire is just starting as a HC at a small school. Maybe he becomes a desirable coach in the future but at the current time he hasn't proved himself enough to be in consideration.

Hiring alumni when there is a good chance that you will have to fire them because they're not a good enough coach for a program like Arizona is not desirable. It just becomes messy. We are a good enough program that we can get a coach that is highly regarded without being afraid that they use us as a stepping stone. Why hire an unqualified alumni just because they're an alumni? We can and should do better.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azcat49 wrote:I will say it does seem bit weird. Miller appears to be on the recruiting trail and making progress on bringing BW back into the fold and has Doutrive (sp) looking like he will ink with us. Also grabbing a couple other guys late seems plausible. Just seems weird to blow up all this work.
Miller is a closer. Eager to see what comes of his recent in home visits.
kstallings

Post by kstallings »

CalStateTempe wrote:

Not even close.
The print media is run by big 10 shills (psu grads mostly, throw in a OSU clown and an ancient angry NW'ern alum). the flagship radio station is run by the same.
the postgame show is hosted by a very vocal syracuse fan who actually named his son Boheim..
IMagine the guy consorting with your fans after the game names his kid Sundevil..

Pitt is bashed every chance they get, nonstop on talk radio all day long. Thought to be honest its hard not to bash the hoops program the past 2 or so years..
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe wrote:What’s going on?

I step away for a few days and now we are scared that Miller is going to Pitt? What Azcat49 said. This doesn’t make sense if he’s out there recruiting bw and that other dude.
A large percentage of their fan base is convinced he coming.
prh

Post by prh »

With any "definitive" post here, take a moment to remember which posters want Miller gone, which want him to stay, and which are open to real discussion about the pros/cons of both options. That will drastically change how you interpret most stuff said.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

prh wrote:With any "definitive" post here, take a moment to remember which posters want Miller gone, which want him to stay, and which are open to real discussion about the pros/cons of both options. That will drastically change how you interpret most stuff said.
Concise & perfectly put. You win today.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

prh wrote:With any "definitive" post here, take a moment to remember which posters want Miller gone, which want him to stay, and which are open to real discussion about the pros/cons of both options. That will drastically change how you interpret most stuff said.
Can you make us a scorecard?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

DrWildcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Simon hasn't been in college coaching for awhile now. I think that should tell you something. Stoudamire is just starting as a HC at a small school. Maybe he becomes a desirable coach in the future but at the current time he hasn't proved himself enough to be in consideration.

Hiring alumni when there is a good chance that you will have to fire them because they're not a good enough coach for a program like Arizona is not desirable. It just becomes messy. We are a good enough program that we can get a coach that is highly regarded without being afraid that they use us as a stepping stone. Why hire an unqualified alumni just because they're an alumni? We can and should do better.
Point taken, DrW.

I mean, yeah, if we can get that highly regarded coach instead of going with an unproven alum, I'm all for it. Who did you have in mind?

For the record, I'm in the "Miller's staying, so let's freaking support the guy" camp. But given the many excellent posts from 97 and Newport, I'm inclined to think that it's not a question of whether Miller's leaving but when.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
I want him to stay. He is a good coach. If we trade a good coach, the likelihood is a trade down. The external factors are not different based on coach.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
I want him to stay. He is a good coach. If we trade a good coach, the likelihood is a trade down. The external factors are not different based on coach.
I’m in the “I see pros/cons” camp and can’t develop a strong opinion. But I do plead guilty to the roving eye syndrome like when you’ve begun considering buying a new car or house or S.O. Considering the options becomes intoxicating until you’ve talked yourself into the need to make a move.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
I’m in the “I see pros/cons” camp and can’t develop a strong opinion. But I do plead guilty to the roving eye syndrome like when you’ve begun considering buying a new car or house or S.O. Considering the options becomes intoxicating until you’ve talked yourself into the need to make a move.
Yup. Everyone else is better...until they're here and start losing a few.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

If Mark Emmert read the transcripts and still let Arizona decide the fate of Miller, you'd have to think the tapes would exonerate him right?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

btfd16 wrote: If Mark Emmert read the transcripts and still let Arizona decide the fate of Miller, you'd have to think the tapes would exonerate him right?
Could be just a poor choice of words and Emmert referring to the conversations that were outlined in the original indictments.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Whether you want him gone or not, the Pitt speculation isn't going away until they hire someone else. He said he is not a candidate, but we know their fans want him and he met with them during the season. You don't have to connect the dots, but don't pretend they don't exist.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

btfd16 wrote: If Mark Emmert read the transcripts and still let Arizona decide the fate of Miller, you'd have to think the tapes would exonerate him right?
The wiretaps will come to light sooner or later. I think the NCAA, Arizona and Miller all know that. I've felt since Miller laid out the offer and said he rejected it during his press conference that there's no way he would have been that specific unless that was definitely coming in the wiretaps. Otherwise, there would be no reason to be that specific.

I don't exactly trust the NCAA, but I have very little fear about the wire transcripts.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Not necessarily but probably
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Let's not forget that one of the reasons we loved Miller was his ability to outperform his seeding in the tourney. He was #5 of active coaches on a list of career tournament performance in 2015 with only 10 years as a head coach. Those ahead of him had double to triple his years coaching. He was on the fast track to the top of the list.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/to ... ry-by-far/" target="_blank

However, 3 years of high seeds and early flameouts can take a toll.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ji ... h-madness/" target="_blank

Still, #10 active on the list through games prior to yesterday.

For those looking for Lute, he's # 520.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Anyone who read the initial FBI complaint has read some wiretaps. The statement is vague.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

azgreg wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:What’s going on?

A large percentage of their fan base is convinced he coming.
A large percentage of their fan base also thought they could do better than Jamie Dixon. How did that work out? Kind of reminds me of this board after a first round tourney loss.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
I hear Kevin Stallings is available.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Miller is a great coach who has dominated the Pac 12. March madness is difficult to get to final fours and we've been close. Miller hopefully will be here long-term at least I hope so
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
I hear Kevin Stallings is available.
For some reason, that doesn't tempt me. He sort of looks like Kevin from The Office, and had as many ACC wins this year as Kevin from The Office.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:Whether you want him gone or not, the Pitt speculation isn't going away until they hire someone else. He said he is not a candidate, but we know their fans want him and he met with them during the season. You don't have to connect the dots, but don't pretend they don't exist.
You want to link where Sean met with them during the season? It would be interesting to see when he had time. I'll wait.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

TheCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Whether you want him gone or not, the Pitt speculation isn't going away until they hire someone else. He said he is not a candidate, but we know their fans want him and he met with them during the season. You don't have to connect the dots, but don't pretend they don't exist.
You want to link where Sean met with them during the season? It would be interesting to see when he had time. I'll wait.
97cats said it happened and he is right 99.99999999% of the time
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Newportcat wrote:
TheCat wrote:
97cats said it happened and he is right 99.99999999% of the time
BS. He also said Sean would be replaced. You think Pitt would keep that secret? No leaks.....and when did he have time since Spain was in August and 10 practices before that? You don't think they would already have an agreement if he did and Sean was chomping at the bit to take over that stellar program? Listen Sean may go to Pitt....but I find it really hard to believe that Sean is the kind of guy that would approach/discuss a job when they had an active head coach. You are taking about the son of a coach and the respect he has for the position of HC.