Kentucky and Cal

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Kentucky and Cal

Post by CalStateTempe »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... -year-deal

Just inked 7 year 52.5million deal.

Take UK off the table as a competitor for SM.
84Cat

Re: Kentucky and Cal

Post by 84Cat »

Wow, $7.5 mil a year! He ain't going anywhere.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

not even the knicks or lakers would pay him that much. i'm pretty sure calipari is now in a 3 way tie for 2nd (with andy reid and bill belicheck) as the highest paid coach in american sports. only sean payton gets paid more ($8 million a year).

even nick saban only gets $7 million a year.

even greg popovich only gets $6 million a year.

yeah..unless he gets bored or fired for ncaa sanctions...i'd think calipari is at kentucky for a good while now.

miller to syracuse? miller to duke? miller to north carolina? (all 3 jobs will open up in the next 3-4 years...)
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UNC is the only one I am worried about.

No chance on Cuse or Duke. Both will hire from within.

And I hate UNC. I'm partial to the veneer of academic integrity.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

SCCat

Post by SCCat »

NBA coaching sources have told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that the Cleveland Cavaliers' recent pitch to Kentucky coach John Calipari was actually a 10-year offer worth nearly $80 million and included the role of coach and team president.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11056 ... -president
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I know recruiting can suck, but I'd never consider Cleveland a step up from Kentucky.

Tier 1: Lakers, Knicks, Heat, Bulls
Tier 2: Clippers, Celtics, Thunder, Nyets
Tier 3: Warriors, Suns, 76ers, Mavericks

Those are the only teams I'd even consider leaving Kentucky for, and after the Thunder, everyone else is a reach.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

This is pretty smart.

Kentucky coach John Calipari finalizing unprecedented scouting combine for NBA personnel
University of Kentucky coach John Calipari is finalizing plans for an unprecedented two-day campus scouting combine for NBA executives to evaluate his star-laden roster of professional prospects, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Calipari has invited officials of the 30 NBA teams to send personnel to Lexington, Ky., on Oct. 11-12 to watch his players do everything from run full-court five-on-five and NBA-style pick-and-roll sets to individual skill work.

The event is a chance for Calipari to impress a throng of top high school recruits on campus visits and once again frame his program as college basketball's best NBA feeder system. Kentucky is expected to be a consensus preseason No. 1 in the polls.

After the combine, Calipari plans to shut out NBA executives and scouts from his practices for several weeks – perhaps even months – into the season, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

This way, Calipari can avoid the distractions that a constant parade of NBA scouts can present to so many talented young players in the practice gym.

NBA personnel aren't allowed to interact with college undergraduates, but Calipari can simply shape his workouts to be conducive to the NBA's needs.

As one executive laughed, "We're just there as B-roll for his recruiting videos."

Calipari and his staff have been in contact with NBA executives on the format of the two-day event. Kentucky is expected to run double sessions of practice and workouts on Oct. 12 before closing off access to NBA teams for the foreseeable future.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--k ... 04100.html
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Guy is cunning and smart, can't deny that.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Should be illegal
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Why NBA isn't interacting with the kids and its consolidated to one day in preseason.

smart smart smart.

It isn't a lesser tiered schools fault that they can't do this.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Why NBA isn't interacting with the kids and its consolidated to one day in preseason.

smart smart smart.

Kentucky is an NBA factory. This is their selling point, and this is just more evidence.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Why NBA isn't interacting with the kids and its consolidated to one day in preseason.

smart smart smart.

Kentucky is an NBA factory. This is their selling point, and this is just more evidence.
That's what Jim Rosborough said Arizona was under Lute not 10 years ago.

Glad we're better than this.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

At least Cal is being transparent about what UK is.

I can respect that.

I'd rather be friends with an arrogant person who owns it, than a passive aggressive "nice-guy" appearing one. I kinda see the UK program and Cal through that same perspective.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:At least Cal is being transparent about what UK is.

I can respect that.

I'd rather be friends with an arrogant person who owns it, than a passive aggressive "nice-guy" appearing one. I kinda see the UK program and Cal through that same perspective.
Yeah, I don't have an issue with it. I'd have one if Cal was always pumping sunshine about student athletes, etc. He's fairly straightforward about what the program is, though, and fairly straightforward about who he is too.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

As if no NBA scouts get any UK exposure. Joke.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:As if no NBA scouts get any UK exposure. Joke.
The result is going to get vacated anyways, so it doesn't matter however you look at it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Does this mean Cal is going to sub in 5 players at a time?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ipari-says

If so, won't that be kind of stupid since you'll have 5 cold players on the floor at the same time without any sense of the flow of the game to that point?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Cal says alot of stuff. Most of it isn't factual.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I really don't get the Cal hate around here.

Cal should have been given a consulting fee for his AD work during the Miller hire. More efficacious compared to who we had in charge and his scatterbrained drive through New Mexico high county as a selling point for Tucson. At least LG didn't have a hankering for a good burger.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

People give Cal so much credit...and for something 6 plus years ago...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I really don't get the Cal hate around here.

Cal should have been given a consulting fee for his AD work during the Miller hire. More efficacious compared to who we had in charge and his scatterbrained drive through New Mexico high county as a selling point for Tucson. At least LG didn't have a hankering for a good burger.
Who's hating on Cal? I just wanted to know if this means Kentucky is going to sub 5 guys at a time and how that will work with game flow and such.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:

Who's hating on Cal? I just wanted to know if this means Kentucky is going to sub 5 guys at a time and how that will work with game flow and such.
My post was directed at Odogg, wasn't intended to you Chi, I shouldn't have written the first sentence.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Chicat wrote:

My post was directed at Odogg, wasn't intended to you Chi, I shouldn't have written the first sentence.

My apologies to everyone. I'll try to restrict my coach-hate to Pastner only.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

So Smart:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Pretty sweet.
biggles

Post by biggles »

Coop Cat wrote:So Smart:
I must be the only person on the planet who thinks this is a shitty idea.

From Arizona's media day interviews, I think Miller and every single player emphasized "chemistry" and how you have to work at it and it takes time. Yet what Calipari is doing at the exact same time of year is to remind all of his players "The ultimate goal here is the NBA. And hey, you guys are actually competing WITH each other. Now go get to it"

To me it sets the completely wrong tone (for his current team), at the wrong time of the season. I'm sure it looks great to recruits, but I'm not convinced it won't hurt this year's team.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

biggles wrote:

From Arizona's media day interviews, I think Miller and every single player emphasized "chemistry" and how you have to work at it and it takes time. Yet what Calipari is doing at the exact same time of year is to remind all of his players "The ultimate goal here is the NBA. And hey, you guys are actually competing WITH each other. Now go get to it"

To me it sets the completely wrong tone (for his current team), at the wrong time of the season. I'm sure it looks great to recruits, but I'm not convinced it won't hurt this year's team.
Cal has always been honest about the main goal of his program being to get kids to the NBA. That's why he's able to sell 5* recruits on coming in for one year. Even if they have to sit the bench, their time on the court is all about maximizing their exposure to NBA personnel. And this is just another way of doing that.

It's never been about chemistry for his teams. They win because they're talented. But that's just a byproduct of showcasing the players to their future employers.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

biggles wrote:

The point is to get the whole NBA thing over with and out of the way before the season even starts. The players can be evaluated directly without having to showcase when winning is on the line, and without distracting practices and game preparations. The NBA drafts on potential, but that potential requires exposure. Unveil the potential now, and that way nobody needs the season for that. It's precisely the opposite of undermining chemistry. It's establishing a focused framework for chemistry to flourish. That way it's a publicity tool for continued recruiting and a shielding tool for winning now. It sends the message to current and future players that such depth of talent doesn't detract from anyone's NBA aspirations: Kentucky is a conduit to the NBA and still about being a winner in the moment.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Personally I think it is a self serving idea. "Hey look at UK, we have NBA scouts all coming to our combine".

Whatever, happens on a regular basis during practices in Tucson, as well as the games. But hey, if Cal wants to waive his flag about being the NBA factory that's fine. Stats don't lie...just look at the last quarter century and tell me who put the most in the NBA.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote:Personally I think it is a self serving idea. "Hey look at UK, we have NBA scouts all coming to our combine".

Whatever, happens on a regular basis during practices in Tucson, as well as the games. But hey, if Cal wants to waive his flag about being the NBA factory that's fine. Stats don't lie...just look at the last quarter century and tell me who put the most in the NBA.
If it weren't self-serving, then why would Calipari do it? But the message it sends doesn't impinge on Arizona, which is also served by it. Kentucky and Arizona belong to the same top rung of the hierarchy, and both are programs known for preparing talent for the NBA. It's a buttressing of the recognition that "playing for a winner" v. "being the man" isn't the same question as "playing for a winner" v. "showcasing for the League." Going to a lesser program to pad your stats while playing with reduced exposure, fewer wins, and missing out on "One Shining Moment" doesn't streamline one's path toward the NBA. The idea really marshals the talent to deep rosters at Kentucky, Arizona, UNC, Kansas, and Duke. It's almost like a lift of the the leveling power of the salary cap that's supposed to benefit smaller markets in the NBA.
Last edited by Longhorned on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

biggles

Post by biggles »

Longhorned wrote: The point is to get the whole NBA thing over with and out of the way before the season even starts.
I get that that's the argument, but I don't see that working whatsoever. Let's say you're competing with another guy at your position, and he outplays you today. Are you really going to go "well, time to sacrifice myself for the team so he can get drafted higher?"

Or are you going to have in the back of your mind the entire season "I know I'm better than this guy, I just need to get out there and show it." If you have that mentality, are you going to pass up a good shot to get that guy a great shot? Are you going to cover his ass on defense or hope he gets burned?

I 100% understand that with Calipari there is zero apology that his number one priority is to put kids in the NBA. I just don't think it's the BEST way to start off your season in a sport where teamwork makes such a big difference.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

biggles wrote:
Longhorned wrote: The point is to get the whole NBA thing over with and out of the way before the season even starts.
I get that that's the argument, but I don't see that working whatsoever. Let's say you're competing with another guy at your position, and he outplays you today. Are you really going to go "well, time to sacrifice myself for the team so he can get drafted higher?"

Or are you going to have in the back of your mind the entire season "I know I'm better than this guy, I just need to get out there and show it." If you have that mentality, are you going to pass up a good shot to get that guy a great shot? Are you going to cover his ass on defense or hope he gets burned?

I 100% understand that with Calipari there is zero apology that his number one priority is to put kids in the NBA. I just don't think it's the BEST way to start off your season in a sport where teamwork makes such a big difference.
If a player is going to get beat out for playing time, he's going to lose those minutes regardless. And if he's bitter about riding pine and hurting team chemistry, he'll do that anyway. But this way, he'll get to have NBA scout exposure in spite of the lack of floor time and without interfering with game prep and player development.

There's a pretty clear indication that Calipari is sincerely concerned about team chemistry. In addition to this combine, he's talked about having a two-squad rotation. Too many talented players is a legitimate worry. His answer is to carry out this event, which you find unconvincing. Maybe you'll be right, and Cal will be wrong.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Something about glass houses:
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Kudos to Coach Cal, they have their Midnight madness event tonight being a live event on Snap Chat tonight. I hope this is something Coach Miller and Bryne can stay on top of and make happen. Would love to see the basketball team get one of these for a big game this year!
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

J. Vanderbilt to Kentucky

I know AZ seemed to back off
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Cal gets a new contract, 10 years $86 million
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’ve heard Cal pays $20k/mo per 5 star.

In the NCAA’s new enforcement system, this post is enough evidence to investigate Kentucky and severely sanction them.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:I’ve heard Cal pays $20k/mo per 5 star.

In the NCAA’s new enforcement system, this post is enough evidence to investigate Kentucky and severely sanction them.

Yes, but did he KILL FIVE HOOKERS?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Loss at home to Evansville :lol:
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

threenumberones wrote:Loss at home to Evansville :lol:
Listened to it. It was spectacular!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:shock:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

That tweet is useless without pics.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Watched the 1h of Miami vs UK. I'm not an Xs and Os guy, but if Miami got a shot off with any more than 1 ball screen I didn't see it. They can shoot, but they don't play "team" offense the way we play "team" offense.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I watched about 15 mins of the Alabama game last night I they said that 92% of their shots come with 2 or less passes. They talked like that was a good thing. That they play fast was the reason. The part of the game I watched they were losing don't know how it ended.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Gonna lose to South Carolina.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:57 pm Gonna lose to South Carolina.
UK is for real this season, especially with their big man now eligible. But aside from Purdue, there aren’t any top 10 teams that look like locks for the FF (or even the E8).