Josh Jackson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cpt

Re: Josh Jackson

Post by cpt »

I think us Kansas fans will give him a pass.[/quote]

386 posts on another team's fan site? Really, get a fucking life.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Bill Self is a witch.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KaibabKat wrote:Bill Self is a witch.
Hard to disagree.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

KaibabKat wrote:Bill Self is a witch.
Shouldn't you be at a Georgia Tech rally celebrating the arrival of your hero who coaches with that passion, that energy?
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Sounds like Self is a witch at recruiting to me.

He seems to be really, really good at recruiting moms anyway.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I'll believe this wasn't entirely, 100% Adidas driven when Jackson signs with anyone else this time next year.

Adidas money was the plans for Josh's sophomore, junior, senior seasons.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

oh wellskis!

still extremely excited to have Alkins Simmons LM and potentially Ferguson.

one things for certain is being the U19 coach is the best thing to ever happen to Miller recruiting efforts - can he be coach of that forever?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Lol it's funny, his gf didn't even congratulate him on his decision. She just retweeting a bunch of guys calling her hot. Probably wanted him to stay in Michigan.
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

NYCat wrote:Lol it's funny, his gf didn't even congratulate him on his decision. She just retweeting a bunch of guys calling her hot.
That is kinda humorous.

#notblessed
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RiseAndFire wrote: one things for certain is being the U19 coach is the best thing to ever happen to Miller recruiting efforts - can he be coach of that forever?
Believe I read that CSM isn't going to do it anymore. Too much time, when being a NCAA coach takes so much time in itself all year round.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

hay guyz, i've been away for a bit. what'd i miss? :D

seriously though, great pickup for kansas. someone remind bill self not to sit josh, i actually want to see him play next season.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Airizona wrote:Freshman to senior year, come on now...
How about them Apples?
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

enfuego wrote:You aren't getting JJ or Ferguson. You're done on the perimeter. JJ or Ferguson will end up in Kansas. We'll also likely land Allen or Maker for the post. And we'll be better than Arizona again next year, just like this year. JJ made Alkins look like a fool in NY over the summer.

Bump
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

JMarkJohns wrote:I'll believe this wasn't entirely, 100% Adidas driven when Jackson signs with anyone else this time next year.

If they don't tear his ACL.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/n ... a-injuries" target="_blank

http://elitedaily.com/sports/10-sports- ... ng-adidas/" target="_blank
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

gumby wrote:
NYCat wrote:He chose Carnegie Mellon, and will pursue a computer science degree
Any relation to Donald Mellon? (Old guy reference!)

OH MY GOSH I know exactly who Donald Mellon is, and some stories to tell. wow
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

BTW what really dumb skit is Josh going to have to perform midnight madness. I think he better reconsider no?
gumby

Post by gumby »

CBCat wrote:
gumby wrote:
NYCat wrote:He chose Carnegie Mellon, and will pursue a computer science degree
Any relation to Donald Mellon? (Old guy reference!)

OH MY GOSH I know exactly who Donald Mellon is, and some stories to tell. wow
Please proceed.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Merkin wrote:
Interesting read, thanks Merkin. Good Lord, college hoops recruiting is a crazy process......beyond belief, smh.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I remember the Kevin Garnett comps flying around with Ebi back then.
Ebi was a poor man's Darius Miles.

Speaking of poor.

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article120692678.html" target="_blank
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I remember the Kevin Garnett comps flying around with Ebi back then.
Ebi was a poor man's Darius Miles.

Speaking of poor.

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article120692678.html" target="_blank
I've long said that professional sports franchises need to have a transition program and financial experts assigned to players with 5 or fewer years of service. This would benefit them more. First contracts should be partially deferred and invested. Young Players should need to go through levels of advice before signing or committing to purchases.

Not sure it could ever be collectively bargained in, and while they could still find themselves in debt and with some crazy purchases, most of the frivolous loss will be helped. The excess would hopefully be tamed and "assets" like jewelry, clothes, and memorabilia would be minimized.

For most, it's the nickel and dime aspect of having money that costs them. Expenses so small you don't think. But you do so often, the cumulative adds up quick.

Iverson had a handler buy him new clothes every road trip.

Miles is just one of thousands. Sad.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I forget the article, but I read a very interesting discussion premised on the idea that pro athletes wind up with the problems they do based on the structure of how they acquire money.

The framework was how most people acquire money. They have to spend years building a career and acquiring wealth. Simultaneously, they acquire discipline and effective money management strateges. By the time they have advanced enough to maoe significant money, they've learned how to handle it.

Pro sports is the opposite. Players go from basically penniless to multimillionaires overnight. There is no acquisition curve where they have to manage anything. It's just a sudden flow of all the money they could ever want.

Add to that the number of people who regard players as nothing but meal tickets and you see how easy it is to take from a player. Players get used easily, and tend to be surrounded by yes men with agendas based in personal enrichment.

It's sad.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:For most, it's the nickel and dime aspect of having money that costs them. Expenses so small you don't think. But you do so often, the cumulative adds up quick.
Like heating and cooling and providing electricity & gas to those giant homes you just bought. People think, "I'm getting $10M on my first contract so a $1.5M real estate investment is fine"..... except you don't take home $10M. You take home around $3.5-4M. And it could be costing you thousands of dollars a month just to have those big sweet houses. Need furniture? Got pools? Thinking about getting that 500 gallon saltwater fish tank? Just put all that shit on the Amex black card and wait until your next contract and hope you don't blow out your knee.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

JMarkJohns wrote:I've long said that professional sports franchises need to have a transition program and financial experts assigned to players with 5 or fewer years of service. This would benefit them more. First contracts should be partially deferred and invested. Young Players should need to go through levels of advice before signing or committing to purchases.
And I've thought for a while this might be a way for a sports franchise in the salary cap era to distinguish themselves from the other franchises. If you had an excellent in house money management team that really had full spectrum experience and delivered really great results to the players of that franchise, in a fairly short time frame most of the players would know about it. It might just help you get and keep free agents.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Thinking about getting that 500 gallon saltwater fish tank?
How about a Gilbert Arenas shark tank?

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

At least he waited until he got his max deal.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:For most, it's the nickel and dime aspect of having money that costs them. Expenses so small you don't think. But you do so often, the cumulative adds up quick.
Like heating and cooling and providing electricity & gas to those giant homes you just bought. People think, "I'm getting $10M on my first contract so a $1.5M real estate investment is fine"..... except you don't take home $10M. You take home around $3.5-4M. And it could be costing you thousands of dollars a month just to have those big sweet houses. Need furniture? Got pools? Thinking about getting that 500 gallon saltwater fish tank? Just put all that shit on the Amex black card and wait until your next contract and hope you don't blow out your knee.
Players also generally screw up by only acquiring assets that depreciate. You put money into houses, cars, jewlery, etc., you wind up with only less money over time. It's the exact opposite of investing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Players also generally screw up by only acquiring assets that depreciate. You put money into houses, cars, jewlery, etc., you wind up with only less money over time. It's the exact opposite of investing.
Houses go up and down, so it's about when you buy and when you sell. Cars are stupid, unless they are truly collectible. But newsflash: That lambo just became totally uncollectible once you ripped out all the interior to make room for the subwoofer. And as you said, no one wants to buy all that gaudy jewelry for near what you paid for it.

Young guys also don't realize there are ways to save on luxury items too. Cars, homes, and jewelry are all nogotiable. Look to buy stuff that had to be sold in a hurry by other dumbasses much like yourself. And for fucks sake, you only need one watch, one car, one house. You love mama so much you want to do right by her? Great. Find a place that has a separate attached apartment just for her.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Houses go up and down, so it's about when you buy and when you sell. Cars are stupid, unless they are truly collectible. But newsflash: That lambo just became totally uncollectible once you ripped out all the interior to make room for the subwoofer. And as you said, no one wants to buy all that gaudy jewelry for near what you paid for it.

Young guys also don't realize there are ways to save on luxury items too. Cars, homes, and jewelry are all nogotiable. Look to buy stuff that had to be sold in a hurry by other dumbasses much like yourself. And for fucks sake, you only need one watch, one car, one house. You love mama so much you want to do right by her? Great. Find a place that has a separate attached apartment just for her.
The house issue is more about the type. Players tend to buy very expensive homes where the market value is fairly maxed out and any future buyers would come from a limited pool. Thus, players get trapped where they cannot make home improvements to increase value and get screwed if they ever need to sell in a reasonably quick way. Most players will need to sell because they get traded or need to free up money, and there just aren't many buyers who can take a 1.5 million home.

If a player uses a strategy to acquire real estate in a down market or flip homes, yeah. I just don't think many, if any, do.

The customization is a real problem too. You get a custom platinum chain with your jersey # and initials, how many other people will ever want that? It has no resale value, so you just poured a lot of money into something that is only worth any money to one person.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Quick story: So everyone knows Kareem hung around for as long as he did because he couldn't afford to stop playing. Well, my parents were home shopping in LA and went to see Kareem's home since it was priced at literally ten cents on the dollar. When they got there they understood why....

His entire home was customized to suit a giant. The counters were a foot higher than they should have been. Same for the cabinets. Even the doorknobs. My mom, who is 5' 4" said she would have needed a step stool to get up onto the toilet.

Beautiful house. But tailor made for a family of people 6' 5" and above. Kind of an extremely limited market and I have to assume he ended up taking a loss on his investment.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ha thats awesome. Remember the address?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Think it burned down.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

NBA players commonly customize like that. Imagine trying to wash your hands in a bathroom sink that's a foot lower.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Longhorned wrote:NBA players commonly customize like that. Imagine trying to wash your hands in a bathroom sink that's a foot lower.
Completely off topic but Steve Wynn is close to completely blind. So blind that his home has no sharp corners in it. The walls are rounded off so he's less likely to run into them/it wouldn't hurt.

After thinking about the NBA players and remembering that - I'll bet there are all sorts of customized homes that completely limit the resale market. Little people & handicapped people too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:Ha thats awesome. Remember the address?
No. I was like 8. I think it was near OJ in Brentwood though.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

the rapid boom-bust of some professional athletes' finances is probably similar to the phenomenon of all those lotto winners whose fortunes quickly go bankrupt. a good portion of it could simply be side effects of well-intended behaviors too, like buying their family & friends houses and cars or whatever and not planning for the 90% gift tax (or whatever) they'll get hit with later. to the credit of modern pro athletes, it seems as though the rate of giving back and making large charitable contributions are much higher than in years past. don't know if it's a generational thing or folks following role models like manute bol, but it is a silver lining to feckless spending.

doesn't the UA provide "life training" classes, including smart financial management, to all its athletes or did i just dream that up?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Jefe wrote:Ha thats awesome. Remember the address?
No. I was like 8. I think it was near OJ in Brentwood though.
It was across the 405 in Bel-Air.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I would make everything left-handed in my house. Doors, cupboards, fridge ... you name it. Build a baseball diamond out back, with first base on the left and third base on the right.

Field of Dreams!

Then all the infielders would be southpaws. Catchers, too. Lefties could play any position.

Then people would bitch and moan, and I'd say, "Welcome to my life. Now you can play outfield or first base or pitch. But if you pitch, we're calling you a crafty northpaw.

Boy, I'd sure show them.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Half way thru stats

15.6P 6.5R 3.1A 1.6S 1.5B 2.3T 53%FG 27%3 55%FT
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Half way thru stats

15.6P 6.5R 3.1A 1.6S 1.5B 2.3T 53%FG 27%3 55%FT
If he ever gets his shot going, watch out. He's already more complete than Wiggins.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dirtbags wrote:the rapid boom-bust of some professional athletes' finances is probably similar to the phenomenon of all those lotto winners whose fortunes quickly go bankrupt. a good portion of it could simply be side effects of well-intended behaviors too, like buying their family & friends houses and cars or whatever and not planning for the 90% gift tax (or whatever) they'll get hit with later. to the credit of modern pro athletes, it seems as though the rate of giving back and making large charitable contributions are much higher than in years past. don't know if it's a generational thing or folks following role models like manute bol, but it is a silver lining to feckless spending.

doesn't the UA provide "life training" classes, including smart financial management, to all its athletes or did i just dream that up?
It is provided in the NFL and NBA rookie symposiums, and it seems many of the current generation have learned from the mistakes of those before them. When our family friend played for the Heat, D Wade, Bosh and Lebron invited him out every dinner on road trips and picked up the tab. Basically told him, we got you now, take care of your money and when you get that second contract, return the favor to someone else on a rookie contract. Didn't matter that he was a white kid from an upper-class town in Utah.

I know plenty of normal joes who struggle with their finances despite having good jobs, it's an issue that can get anyone. But you have to imagine how difficult it is for a lot of these inner city athletes who grew up without two pennies to rub together. Success to them growing up was the flashy cars, a different pair of Jordans for every day of the month, jewelry and women. They get out of the inner city and on a college campus and see pro athletes, the guys they are gonna be in a few years, with the same. A system designed to hold back social growth for that demographic. A lot of us growing up saw success as the guy with a paid-off home, money invested in multiple places and being set to retire early.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MilesSim0.0N

Post by MilesSim0.0N »

Man this guy fuckin blows dick
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

JMarkJohns wrote:I'll believe this wasn't entirely, 100% Adidas driven when Jackson signs with anyone else this time next year.

Believe his shoe contract is with Under Armour... does Adidas own Under Armour?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "