prh

Re: Oregon

Post by prh »

SCCats wrote:
prh wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Hmm. We tried that once
What, being good?
I know you're just trolling everything basketball related but I'm referring to accumulating highly ranked bigs
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I don't get it. He's a senior, right?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Because of Covid he could come back.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Same with Aari McDonald, but she isn't, and can't blame either of them being top prospects.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How long do you guys think it will take us to get back to being in the running for kids like this?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:15 pm How long do you guys think it will take us to get back to being in the running for kids like this?
Think it has to do in part with how quickly Lloyd can start winning. Like, contending for a Pac title and getting to the 2nd weekend of the tourney. Oregon has been doing that consistently for nearly a decade, and they got to a FF recently.

Oregon is an easy sell at the moment.

It only took one solid year for Cronin at UCLA to get that program rolling again. The same is possible with Lloyd at AZ.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

How long will it take for Altman to continue to underperform with the kinds of recruits he gets before Arizona fans realize he isn’t what they think he is?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:15 pm How long do you guys think it will take us to get back to being in the running for kids like this?
I heard we had two five star recruits visit over the past six days (Jaden Bradley and Shaedon Sharpe). Don’t know how realistic getting them is. But I guess it’s wait and see on tommy boy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:04 pm How long will it take for Altman to continue to underperform with the kinds of recruits he gets before Arizona fans realize he isn’t what they think he is?
It’s not about what Arizona fans think he is. The recruits seem to have formed their own opinion and they like what he’s selling.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

If Lloyd ends up being a flop as a HC, it could be a long, long time.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Oregon did make a ff a few years ago so I'm not sure he is under achieving. Also, as we saw with CSM, 5 star athletes don't always lead to on court success
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:29 am
If Lloyd ends up being a flop as a HC, it could be a long, long time.

Especially since Robbins and Heeke estranged the major donors like the Davises and Stephens and have millions yet to pay Miller and Sumlin.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I just don’t see why there is question about Lloyd succeeding at AZ. I think the program will self sustain given our recruiting advantages.

I know he has never been the lead guy but his recruiting history points to a high level. His schemes seem to be enjoyable to watch and to play in. Unless he just rolls the ball out there and doesn’t teach or coach I just can’t see him not succeeding to at least the Miller level of performance
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:46 am I just don’t see why there is question about Lloyd succeeding at AZ. I think the program will self sustain given our recruiting advantages.

I know he has never been the lead guy but his recruiting history points to a high level. His schemes seem to be enjoyable to watch and to play in. Unless he just rolls the ball out there and doesn’t teach or coach I just can’t see him not succeeding to at least the Miller level of performance
My worry is that without that experience as the head guy running a major program, some recruits might automatically cross us off their list. And that’s not just about coaching the team on game day.

It’s mostly about putting these kids in the best possible position to be professional basketball players. If he can’t adequately communicate his plans to showcase them and get them the right connections to make them a success after their time at Arizona comes to an end, they won’t consider us to begin with.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Chicat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:52 am
ByJoveByJingle wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:04 pm How long will it take for Altman to continue to underperform with the kinds of recruits he gets before Arizona fans realize he isn’t what they think he is?
It’s not about what Arizona fans think he is. The recruits seem to have formed their own opinion and they like what he’s selling.
By that measure, Miller was a Hall of Famer before the ESPN hit piece.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

84Cat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:40 am Oregon did make a ff a few years ago so I'm not sure he is under achieving. Also, as we saw with CSM, 5 star athletes don't always lead to on court success
5 years ago by the time the next FF rolls around. I recall a number of things going their way in that run. Squeaked by Rhode Island and Michigan. If they call Dorsey for his travel on the spin move for the game winner they have 0 final fours to go with all those five star recruits. Those are the breaks of the game. Miller and Arizona didn’t get them, Altman and Oregon did at the right time. I’m not saying he’s not a good coach. But if he coached at Arizona the natives would have been getting restless by now. Instead the natives have a hard-on for his coaching genius.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:45 am
That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but ok.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Say what you will, but Altman clearly coached circles around Sean Miller during his tenure. He made Oregon relevant, I do not question his ability to coach. I do question his moral integrity.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Oregon has been a pretty good program for a while and Altman should get the lionshare of the credit (along with Phil and his deep pockets). We need to get back to having discussions where we are not talking about who other programs are getting but our targets and commitments.

We are where we are. Now Tommy boy needs to show us the money.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Chicat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:01 am
I don’t get what you don’t get, but ok. You say the recruits have spoken—he’s a great coach. Well by that measure, the recruits spoke and Sean Miller was a great coach. Yet, to many here he wasn’t. Obviously it’s more nuanced than that—as in Nike cash, facilities and handlers playing a role in where recruits want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:02 am Say what you will, but Altman clearly coached circles around Sean Miller during his tenure.
Ducks have beaten the Cats 7 straight games, with the last UA win being 1/13/2018.

So yea.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Certainly Altman is not as stubborn but he also had superior talent over those 7 games.

I do think Miller is his equal and with equal talent I think Miller wins a 7 game series in 6 but it’s tough when the bagmen stop coming and Nike/Oregon has unique ways to get things done
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

This thread is depressing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:31 am
Chicat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:01 am
I don’t get what you don’t get, but ok. You say the recruits have spoken—he’s a great coach. Well by that measure, the recruits spoke and Sean Miller was a great coach. Yet, to many here he wasn’t. Obviously it’s more nuanced than that—as in Nike cash, facilities and handlers playing a role in where recruits want to be.
I never said Altman was a great coach.

You quoted me, so I’m guessing it’s right there in black & white for you. Not sure why you’re confused as to what I did and did not say about Altman.

I said recruits like what he’s selling. And you’re right, Arizona recruiting prior to the ESPN hit piece indicates that recruits liked what Miller was selling too. So what? I’m talking about our CURRENT program and how we need to get back in on top level talent. What Sean Miller has to do with that I have no idea, but go on with your bad self BJBJ.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:46 am I just don’t see why there is question about Lloyd succeeding at AZ. I think the program will self sustain given our recruiting advantages.

Miller was the 3rd fastest to 300 wins. Behind only Lute and Hec and ahead of John Wooden. If he performs to this level I don't think any of us will complain. Add in a couple of conference titles and tourney championships you will hear no complaints here but that is a tall order.
Last edited by TheCat on Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Agree 100%, azcat.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:56 am

Agree 100%, azcat.
It is a tall order trusting your kid to uncertainty when he has proven commodities wanting to coach them. Only success and playing style is going to change that as well as signing other really good players. It will be harder to do if you have instability in your staff especially if that person was a lead recruiter of a kid.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

1. He was recruiting kids to play for a proven, successful head coach. He now has to recruit kids to play for a HC with no HC experience. Will he be able to do that?

2. "His schemes"? Were they his schemes? Or were they Mark Few's? Will his schemes be something different?

He really hasn't proven much of anything yet at Arizona. We will know a lot more by next March.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Duke's next head coach is a 33 year old with no head coaching experience (and no coaching experience outside of that school).

UNC's new head coach has no head coaching experience (and no coaching experience outside of that school).

Arizona's new head coach has no head coaching experience (and no coaching experience outside of one school).

Seems we're fortunate to be in this position at the same time as Duke and UNC, as those top recruits will hear the "you'll love the new guy, trust us" from three of the best recruiting programs in the country.

Re: schemes - yes, they were his schemes. There's been a ton written on how Lloyd's recruiting in Europe (and accompanying film study) led him to embrace a Euro-style read/react ball screen continuity offense which formed the base of the Gonzaga offense. That offensive approach (and really, the emphasis on teaching it until it's second nature) spread from Gonzaga to Illinois and Baylor via former Zags assistants. Obviously Few embraced that change - and credit to him for that - but it came from Lloyd.

“The style changed over the last decade, and a lot of that has to do with Tommy,” Morrison continues. “And I’m not just saying that to make him sound good in an article. They run pro-style, European-style stuff—space, movement, efficiency—and that’s Tommy Lloyd, the influence.”
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

BYU is blowing out U of Zero in Portland (Phil Knight Invitational) - 37 - 18 @ half

Barcello is leading scorer - 5/5 FG; 3/3 3PT - 13 points
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hope it's not a jinx to gloat, but w/ under 6 minutes it's 70-44 BYU. Barcello w/ 25 pts.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Barcello is averaging 22 ppg so far this year
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

81-49. Jimmer is chuckling.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Oregon is getting wacked tonight and Michigan already lost.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thanks for nothing Oregon.

Sincerely,

The PAC-12
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Couldn't even put up 50???
Ouch.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Fuck Altman and Oregon. I loved watching the game *in Portland* last night.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

My guess is Oregon probably figures it out by conference time. Too many new faces trying to get acclimated.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

MrBug708 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:10 pm My guess is Oregon probably figures it out by conference time. Too many new faces trying to get acclimated.
THEY'RE NOT THAT GOOD

Devion Harman still can't shoot. Quincy Guerrier left Syracuse so he could be featured as a perimeter player for Oregon and he's playing center (and also, he still can't shoot). Jacob Young is still a high volume low efficiency midget. Nate Bittle is so far from being college ready that his stat line is 0pts, 0ast, 0rebs, 1blk, 5fls. Dante is still coming off of an ACL tear.

Replacing 75% of your team is HARD. If you don't have real horses and you start taking some losses... that team chemistry thing goes right out the window. Looking forward to them limping through the Maui.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Struggling against St. Mary's.Had 15 points at the half. Down now 31-17

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Ducks are decidedly meh.

~ Wilhoit's Law
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:59 pm
MrBug708 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:10 pm My guess is Oregon probably figures it out by conference time. Too many new faces trying to get acclimated.
THEY'RE NOT THAT GOOD

Devion Harman still can't shoot. Quincy Guerrier left Syracuse so he could be featured as a perimeter player for Oregon and he's playing center (and also, he still can't shoot). Jacob Young is still a high volume low efficiency midget. Nate Bittle is so far from being college ready that his stat line is 0pts, 0ast, 0rebs, 1blk, 5fls. Dante is still coming off of an ACL tear.

Replacing 75% of your team is HARD. If you don't have real horses and you start taking some losses... that team chemistry thing goes right out the window. Looking forward to them limping through the Maui.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Down 41-19 at the half against Houston. Yikes.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

They really really suck...
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Oregon is awful. It is hard to see them in the upper half of the conference.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

What the hell has happened to potential conference player of the year Will Richardson? This team can't score or get the ball inside cleanly to at least pick up some fouls. If Dana can make something decent by conference he is a magician. This team was rated 12th at the beginning of the year.