Larry Scott

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Larry Scott

Post by Chicat »

... is doing a heck of a job!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ElGatoBlanco

Re: Larry Scott

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

For the love of god sell off half the network to FOX already and just collect money. Larry Scott is absolutely worthless. The blueprint for success lies with the B1G Network, just copy and paste!
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Chicat wrote:... is doing a heck of a job!
Could you be inferring that Larry Scott is a lying, corrupt, fraud ....

... ditto.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In 2011/2012 Larry Scott "earned" $1,575,000 in base salary, a $1,376,000 bonus and additional compensation of $71,462. That's a total of $3,022,462 for the year.

And when people asked why they were told, "the TV deal!". Yeah, that great TV deal that has sucked for fans and apparently isn't paying out what it should to the schools either.

Time to get rid of this charlatan.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Latin American governments have greater transparency than Larry Scott's Pac-12 regime.
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Chicat wrote:In 2011/2012 Larry Scott "earned" $1,575,000 in base salary, a $1,376,000 bonus and additional compensation of $71,462. That's a total of $3,022,462 for the year.

And when people asked why they were told, "the TV deal!". Yeah, that great TV deal that has sucked for fans and apparently isn't paying out what it should to the schools either.

Didn't he also receive a 6 million dollar no interest loan from the PAC-12 ?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatnapTom wrote:
Chicat wrote:In 2011/2012 Larry Scott "earned" $1,575,000 in base salary, a $1,376,000 bonus and additional compensation of $71,462. That's a total of $3,022,462 for the year.

Didn't he also receive a 6 million dollar no interest loan from the PAC-12 ?
I didn't know that until I read your post, but it looks like he actually got $1.9 million.

The Pac-12's return also shows that Scott continues to have the benefit of a nearly $1.9 million loan from the conference. The balance reported due on the loan -- $1,861,842 – is the same as the original principal amount, the return says. The loan was first reported on the tax records the conference filed in May 2011, which covered a fiscal year ending June 30, 2010.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... n/2324799/

Another interesting tidbit from that article is that the Pac12 Deputy Commissioner was paid more than the commissioners of the Big East and Conference USA.

These guys are stealing money...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

take to twitter?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I want to bring down scott like we brought down MAO.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If actively conspiring to cover up the fixing of tournament basketball games won't bring Larry Scott down, I'm not sure that this issue will. The dude is a cockroach.

But let the revenues come in lower than expected next year and watch out Larry. You'll be back on the women's tennis circuit in no time.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Somehow he's the most paid Commissioner in the NCAA and he hasn't done half the shit that Jim Delaney and Mike Slive have. He's made one good decision his entire tenure as a commissioner and it's something that message board posters have suggested for years and that was getting the Pac-12 bball tournament out of LA and put it in Vegas.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Big Ten -- 93.6 percent back to members (24.8 million average per school)

SEC -- 92.8 percent ($20.7 million per school)

Big 12 -- 92.2 percent ($18.5 million)

ACC -- 90.8 percent ($16.9 million)

Pac-12 -- 68.3 percent ($19 million)

The totality of my analysis on this is: WTF???

93%
92%
92%
91%
68%
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Waiting for Salty to come in and tell us how lucky we are to have Larry Scott. If this was a charity he would have been investigated by now.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCat wrote:Big Ten -- 93.6 percent back to members (24.8 million average per school)

93%
92%
92%
91%
68%
Someone please tweet this to Wilner and/or Goodman, or that ESPN Pac-12 football guy who lives in Scottsdale (Ted?)
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

What the hell does Scott need a personal $1M loan for anyway?
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

CalStateTempe wrote:
SCCat wrote:Big Ten -- 93.6 percent back to members (24.8 million average per school)

93%
92%
92%
91%
68%
Someone please tweet this to Wilner and/or Goodman, or that ESPN Pac-12 football guy who lives in Scottsdale (Ted?)
I'm pretty sure they're all aware of that considering it was a cbs sports article.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

He may be crooked for all I know and I've read other reports of extravagance at the head office, but you're all making mountains out of mole hills focusing on this percentage stuff:

93%
92%
92%
91%
68%
First off these are numbers from the year the conference launched the network. The conference spent $31M on the network before it even hit the air.

As alluded to in the story, the PAC12 revenue number isn't calculated the same way the other conferences do it. TV money is the single largest revenue source, but the rest are only reporting what they get from TV contracts as media revenue, the PAC is reporting TV contracts + network revenue. Think gross income vs net income. Divide the two numbers by 12 and you've got very different percentages. Until another conference owns a network, the percentages are going to by very different. Not this different but once again, this was the first year, lots of expenses.

From day one everyone was told that the upfront costs would cut into everyone's take because they had large upfront cost of:
  • 1. Buying out each individual university's media rights deals on all platforms
    2. Start a new TV network from scratch
Still, UA's cut of the ESPN/FOX money was under $16M for the year in question, but received $19.8M from the PAC12.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sage&Silver wrote:He may be crooked for all I know and I've read other reports of extravagance at the head office, but you're all making mountains out of mole hills focusing on this percentage stuff:
You make some good points, except that CBS Sports seems to think its a big enough deal to warrant an article, so I think it's a big enough deal to warrant a conversation about it.

As for the schools knowing from day one that revenues wouldn't be as high as promised in year one, it's the promise that's the issue. Scott talked about Year 5 money like it was already in the pockets of ADs. From an Oregon Live article in March:

"It's great that Larry Scott, commissioner, cut a sweet new deal and that he wants to market that but the ADs have apparently been feeling a little like Lottery winners who got their pictures snapped and put on the front page. They'd like long, lost relatives to know that the money wasn't quite what they'd hoped..."
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Chicat wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:He may be crooked for all I know and I've read other reports of extravagance at the head office, but you're all making mountains out of mole hills focusing on this percentage stuff:
You make some good points, except that CBS Sports seems to think its a big enough deal to warrant an article, so I think it's a big enough deal to warrant a conversation about it.

You are right. There is no way a media giant like CBS could possibly exaggerate or not thorougly present a story.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:You are right. There is no way a media giant like CBS could possibly exaggerate or not thorougly present a story.
So all stories in the media should be ignored on the possibility they might exaggerate or not thoroughly present a story? How about message board posts?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Wilner did post his thoughts on this subject this week. He tries to explain / detail expenses vs revenues. Does it in a way to compare apples to apples with other conferences. You can read and gauge if you think Wilner concerned about it:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... e-figures/

Last month Wilner gave a more detaile review of the reported $334 million Pac12 revenues.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... 2167968750

Also maybe worth noting, Pac12 board just gave Scott a 5 year extension (including UA prez). So there's that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Makes you wonder what the revenue/expenses numbers would have been if a deal with DirectTV had been worked out . . . and why so many of the numbers that other conferences report are super secret in the Pac12.

As for Scott getting a 5 year extension, nothing says "this whole TV deal is a joke" like firing your commissioner in year one. Like I said earlier, it will be interesting to see what the per-school payout is next year and what that means for Larry's job security.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Remember in March, in Vegas...when 97 had a chance to punch him in the face and instead made out with Larry and posted the photos on the board?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

J. Wilner -

" Scott runs the conference like a corporation — like a professional sports league — which means he brings in the cash and he spends it, too."

" But the presidents and chancellors gave Scott the keys to the kingdom in five years ago and told him to run the show however he saw fit – provided he brought in the cash."

Unfortunately, until there is indisputable hard evidence that Scott has abused his authority or proved incompetent in performing his job , we are stuck with him.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Chicat wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:You are right. There is no way a media giant like CBS could possibly exaggerate or not thorougly present a story.
So all stories in the media should be ignored on the possibility they might exaggerate or not thoroughly present a story? How about message board posts?

You were the one who credited the story based on its source. I am simply pointint out that even the main stream media can, at times, not tell the whole story.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Chicat wrote:
You were the one who credited the story based on its source. I am simply pointint out that even the main stream media can, at times, not tell the whole story.
Actually what I said was in response to Sage&Silver's take that WE were making a mountain out of a molehill. My point was that CBS seemed to find the story worthy enough of publishing, so therefore it's probably worth some discussion.

Maybe you and Sage&Silver feel like the CBS Story isn't complete or is exaggerated, but that doesn't mean that we're doing the exaggerating. In my opinion, all aspects are worthy of discussion. Dennis Dodd not telling the whole story in this article doesn't mean that Larry Scott isn't an underhanded scumbag. Both things can be true.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

There was nothing wrong with the story. The linked story and the second article linked within it gave just about everything I put in my post.

Yes, CBS could be acting as watchdog here. I think more likely they saw the disparity and knew it would generate some clicks. If they don't spell out the reason for the disparity, all the better. But like I said, all the info was there to be plucked out.

As for mountains out of mole hills... for obvious reasons the name Larry Scott gets a lot of Arizona fans seeing red.
Maybe a little too eager to gore someone.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think I may have been the first too call him corrupt and the guy is sleazy, creepy weird. Can't wait to see him gone.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Salty

Post by Salty »

$19 million is solid.

I'm happy. The conference leadership has done nothing but provide us the tools and income we need to remain competitive.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Salty wrote:$19 million is solid.

I'm happy. The conference leadership has done nothing but provide us the tools and income we need to remain competitive.

Did you catch where Larry Scott kept over $100M from the schools? Next greediest conference was the ACC where they kept $23M.

Big 10 gave each school $25M.

Most conferences return 90% or more, the PAC only returned 68%.
jollything

Post by jollything »

Larry Scott needs to go.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Merkin wrote:

Did you catch where Larry Scott kept over $100M from the schools? Next greediest conference was the ACC where they kept $23M.

Damn. That's a lot of money every year. Do you have a link for this?
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

That's just the first year Bug. Mostly went to starting the network.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Damn. That's a lot of money every year. Do you have a link for this?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... to-schools
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sage&Silver wrote:That's just the first year Bug. Mostly went to starting the network.
Oh. That makes sense. Not sure why there is an outrage there then
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Larry Scott taking a page from FIFA.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

MrBug708 wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:That's just the first year Bug. Mostly went to starting the network.
Oh. That makes sense. Not sure why there is an outrage there then
Didn't you hear? It's been all over the interwebs.

Larry Scott, a cyborg assassin, has been sent back in time from the year 2029 to terminate Sean Miller before he can rally an army to defeat the machines (big market schools).
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Can we fire the piece of shit yet? Can we? Can we just boot him and tell him how worthless he really is?

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-footba ... oon-071714
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:Can we fire the piece of shit yet? Can we? Can we just boot him and tell him how worthless he really is?

I made the switch to Dish, and DirecTV actually refunded me back the $$ that I paid to get out from under their contract. Now they send me a monthly "please come back" offer. Not going back.

Larry went head to head, and I actually agree with him on what he wanted. Someday someone will offer an "a la carte" TV option and it will make sense.

But to your point, fire Larry sure. But make sure that someone is in place who isn't worse...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I still get mailers and emails from DTV at least 2-3 times a week begging me to come back.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

scumdevils86 wrote:I still get mailers and emails from DTV at least 2-3 times a week begging me to come back.
Got a call about coming back from Direct, a while back. He asked what he could do to get me back. I told him "nothing". He stated that there has to be something that he could do to win back my business. I asked if he had the power to make a deal with the PAC 12 happen. He said he didn't, and I told him thanks, and to call me back only when that deal happens.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:Can we fire the piece of shit yet? Can we? Can we just boot him and tell him how worthless he really is?

So the PAC will be making half what the SEC does? Nice job Larry!

or in the neighborhood of $20 million a school. Combine that with the $20 million that the SEC already distributes to member institutions and you're talking about $40 million or more in television revenue in the near future, half of which will come from the SEC Network.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Has does the SEC deal compare with what the PAC-12 was asking from DirectTV?
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

84Cat wrote:Has does the SEC deal compare with what the PAC-12 was asking from DirectTV?
ESPN is asking for more money than the Pac-12 is asking for. The primary difference is that the entire SEC fanbase would all drop DTV in a heartbeat to get the network.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Anyone who thinks the PAC-12 is worth the same as the SEC is kidding themselves.

Tuscaloosa is a more valuable TV market for college football than Los Angeles.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Top CFB TV markets:

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/12/ ... m-missouri

Larry was asking for Big-10 money without the Big-10 TV rankings.

Biggest surprise, Stanford at 15.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Merkin wrote:Top CFB TV markets:

People want to watch good teams play. Stanford is a good team.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:
Merkin wrote:Top CFB TV markets:

People want to watch good teams play. Stanford is a good team.
And a huge fair weather fan base. Averaged more attendance than Arizona did last year after years of being near the bottom.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Apparently TWC wants 4 dollars a subscriber for their Dodger network. I heard on the radio that it would be the second highest package (sports?) behind only ESPN. They offered to go to arbitration but it looks like DTV is turning them down.

This probably has some sort of ramification for DTV and the P12 network.