Larry Scott

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Larry Scott

Post by CalStateTempe »

Liar.

Wasn't he in Westwood when ucla won the reg season title a few years back?

Politician answer.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Did anyone ask him if he ordered the Code Red on Miller?

Did he say we can't handle the truth?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat34 wrote:Anthony Humbert Why do you have a problem with Sean Miller and Arizona? And no, "I don't have a problem" isn't an answer. You have yet to present them with a trophy or even show your face in McKale center.

Larry Scott: I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for Coach Miller, who is one of the best coaches in our conference as well as the country. I've had the chance to visit McKale on several occasions, including recently to see the new renovations, which are very impressive. I don't as a matter of course hand out regular season trophies in any sport. I always look forward to handing out the trophy for the Pac-12 Tournament champions and will be here Saturday night in Las Vegas handing the trophy to the winning coach. -LS
This answer is so full of fail. I like it that he supposedly visited McKale when no one was there.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lol yeah he had the guts to come here..in like October when it was a facilities tour.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Is Pac-12 about to fall far behind Big Ten and SEC financially?

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Pac-12's gorgeous, state-of-the-art offices in downtown San Francisco symbolize the financial state of the conference. The shared offices with the Pac-12 Network blend the league's daily operations with the only television channel in major college sports that is owned entirely by a conference. They are joined at the hip.

Owning 100 percent of the channel's equity gives the Pac-12 options in the future to further monetize some of its asset, assuming there are interested media partners in sharing ownership. Increasingly, some people within the Pac-12 are worried the SEC and Big Ten are about to significantly jump ahead of the Pac-12 in television money again.

“I think the worry five years from now, 10 years from now, is will there be a significant gap?” Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said this month at the conference's spring meetings in Phoenix. “We don't believe there will be. In some respects, we're in a uniquely good situation in that we own and control our own network and have a lot of optionality in terms of what we can do down the road. I feel very comfortable with where we are, and I'm trying to educate and share some of that information with our ADs.”

The Pac-12 distributed 67 percent of its record $374 million of revenue to member schools in 2013-14, according to the conference's IRS 990 form released Thursday to CBSSports.com. That was on part with 68 percent distribution in 2012-13.

By contrast, in 2013-14, the Big Ten returned 94 percent of revenues back to members, the SEC provided 90 percent to members, and the Big 12 distributed 87 percent to members. The ACC's tax return from last year has not been released publicly yet, but it returned 91 percent to members in 2012-13.

Scott, who has been the country's highest-paid commissioner, was credited with $3.5 million in total compensation for 2013-14, up from $3.3 million and $3.1 million the prior two years. In the latest tax return, Scott had a base salary of $2,378,750 and received a $900,000 bonus. He continues to have an outstanding relocation loan of $1,861,842 from when he was hired.

How much money is enough for Pac-12 to keep pace?

As a business model, the Pac-12 isn't the old Pac-10 anymore. Scott changed the equation. In recent years, the Pac-12 has obtained significantly more money from its TV deals, created shared revenue among the schools, and received better exposure on ESPN.

Shortly after Scott became commissioner after overseeing the Women's Tennis Association, he nearly pulled off a financial game-changer by adding Texas and Oklahoma to the Pac-12.

Wilner estimated that starting in 2017-18, TV revenue for conferences will look like this: SEC $35.6 million, Big Ten $33 million, Pac-12 $22.95 million. No Pac-12 athletic director who spoke with CBSSports.com would go on record about the topic. But several ADs privately shared concerns represented in Wilner's series, especially as new costs for athletes kick in, such as cost of attendance and post-college medical expenses.

Pac-12 schools currently receive about $1 million each year from the Pac-12 Network. South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner recently told his trustees that the new SEC Network, flush with leverage from ESPN/Disney as partners, could pay at least $5 million per school this year. The Big Ten Network pays out more than $10 million to each school annually and the conference has a new TV deal for Tier 1 rights coming in 2017-18.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... en-and-sec
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I know I've asked this before (and I think someone even answered, but I can't remember the answer for the life of me), but why does 94% and 90% and 87% of the funds get returned to the SEC, Big Ten and Big 12 but only 67% of the funds get returned to the Pac?

67% means something like $120M a year is going missing. Where is it going?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SCCats wrote:I know I've asked this before (and I think someone even answered, but I can't remember the answer for the life of me), but why does 94% and 90% and 87% of the funds get returned to the SEC, Big Ten and Big 12 but only 67% of the funds get returned to the Pac?

Paying for the losses incurred by the PAC-12 Network.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote:
SCCats wrote:I know I've asked this before (and I think someone even answered, but I can't remember the answer for the life of me), but why does 94% and 90% and 87% of the funds get returned to the SEC, Big Ten and Big 12 but only 67% of the funds get returned to the Pac?

Paying for the losses incurred by the PAC-12 Network.
The fuck? Is that really true?

$120M loss not one time, but every year?

WTF...that seems impossible. How can our commissioner have a yearly $120M loss and keep his job?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

...and get paid $3.5 mill a year while doing it!
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

I'm pretty sure the reason the PAC12 Networks cost so much is that they are run entirely in house. The SEC and other conferences contract all that stuff out and save a butt ton by doing so.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:I'm pretty sure the reason the PAC12 Networks cost so much is that they are run entirely in house. The SEC and other conferences contract all that stuff out and save a butt ton by doing so.
Yep. SEC has a partnership with ESPN. The Big 10 started the whole major TV contracts by partnering with ESPN but I think they are switching to Fox when the ESPN contract expires. ACC is also partnershipped with ESPN.

PAC 12 has no partnerships, only agreements.

Larry just thinks he is smarter than anyone else.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Big ten has always been partnered with Fox. I thought so anyway. Early big ten network stuff looked like a copy of Fox sports net stuff.

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Merkin wrote:
FightWildcatsFight wrote:I'm pretty sure the reason the PAC12 Networks cost so much is that they are run entirely in house. The SEC and other conferences contract all that stuff out and save a butt ton by doing so.
Yep. SEC has a partnership with ESPN. The Big 10 started the whole major TV contracts by partnering with ESPN but I think they are switching to Fox when the ESPN contract expires. ACC is also partnershipped with ESPN.

PAC 12 has no partnerships, only agreements.

Larry just thinks he is smarter than anyone else.
Longhorn Network is owned by ESPN. Not sure who owns BYU's network.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I was at a function at Phoenix Country Club with GB and he said the numbers being thrown around by Scott are absurd. He was not happy in the least
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Larry Scott is a fucking joke.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The chorus of boo's he received in Vegas was hilarious.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:The chorus of boo's he received in Vegas was hilarious.
And richly deserved. It was worth the thousands of dollars I spent on that trip just to have that moment.

Even if he had never screwed Sean Miller or the University of Arizona, he's still screwing the rest of the conference with terrible Pac-12 Network planning, profit sharing at a deficit and creatively coasting.

How so many other supposedly smart, savvy institutions as I know exist in this conference aren't pressuring Scott more is a baffling lack of mental engagement in current Pac-12 problems.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

They're pressuring him, just not publicly. They also know that firing him is admitting to a colossal mistake and they aren't willing to do that . . . yet.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wilner has a pretty good article on conference finances:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... ions-only/

Which brings us to the projected comps for FY15 distributions:

SEC: $31.2 million per school
Big Ten: $30.9 million
Big 12: $25.6 million per school (critical point: does not include revenue from Tier 3 media deals)
Pac-12: $25.1 million per school
And remember:

1) Distributions for Big Ten schools will jump when the league signs a new Tier 1 deal in a few years.

2) SEC income will continue to soar as its first-year network matures ($5 million per school in Year 1: Wow!).

The Pac-12 has no such revenue windfall coming
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

the real dill wrote:
Longhorn Network is owned by ESPN. Not sure who owns BYU's network.
Pretty sure it's owned by the mormon church. All their members tithe like 15 percent of their money, that church is beyond rich.

Almost 4 million HOMES in the Pac-12 states do not have Pac 12 network. F Larry Scott.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Canzano: Pac-12 Conference leadership unraveling, one kickoff and TV at a time

These days, the Pac 12 Conference is making the rest of college football look buttoned up. The conference's television network is a fail on multiple levels. The number of late kickoffs is absurd. A growing number of conference athletic directors have privately expressed frustration with the conference's leadership. And then along came Dan Guerrero, UCLA athletic director, who was sent to represent the Pac 12 at last week's NCAA Division I Council meeting.

Among the issues: A potential vote on whether satellite football camps should be banned.

Most of the Pac 12 members opposed a ban of the satellite camps. The opportunity and ability to reach beyond their regional recruiting base is attractive. In fact, in a conference vote, 11 of the 12 members voted to oppose a ban (UCLA abstained). Guerrero, however, the Pac 12 rep, went to the meeting and cast the conference's vote in favor of the ban. On Wednesday in Dallas, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott offered to reporters at a College Football Playoff meeting that Guerrero, "did not vote the way he was supposed to vote."

Scott was asked which school did not, he said, "I'm not gonna say. Form your own conclusion." When a reporter replied, "You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes on that one," Scott fired back, "I can't blow anything by you."

Guerrero has since explained his actions in a letter to his colleagues. Essentially, he said he arrived at the meeting expecting the vote would be tabled, only to find that it was moving forward. Once Guerrero realized that a ban was going to pass, he had to choose between a proposal favored by the ACC (2015-59) vs. one proposed by the SEC (2015-60).

"When my read of the situation was that 2015-59 was going to pass, regardless of a Pac-12 vote against," Guerrero wrote, "I voted in favor of this proposition as it was the more consistent of the two with current Pac-12 legislation."

Guerrero said he feared that if 2015-60 passed, "other conferences would have had a more lenient camp rule than the Pac-12," as the conference has its own rule that bans coaches from hosting -- but not from working -- camps off their own campuses.

Basically, Guerrero was attempting to channel his inner-Frank Underwood. Except, commissioner Scott blew down the house of cards on Wednesday. Scott publicly called out Guerrero in a way that now looks silly and ill-informed. I have to wonder how throwing Guerrero under the bus will play with a group of athletic directors who have sat quiet publicly while muttering and venting privately about Scott's leadership, the lack distribution and revenue shortcomings of the Pac 12 Network.

I have to wonder if the athletic directors who have complained about the direction of the conference in recent months, particularly Scott's move to protect his own image over the conference's, are nearing a tipping point.

Former Oregon State athletic director Bob De Carolis, now working at Michigan, told me earlier this month, "The sitting ADs can't say anything because they're not going to get the public support of their presidents yet. But people are frustrated."

Those watching Scott closely have noted that he's worked in recent months to distance himself from the conference television networks he created. During the Pac-12 Conference Men's Basketball Tournament in March, I was buried like every other conference media member in inquiries from frustrated fans. I asked Scott's public relations officer for a quote from the commissioner on why the regional networks weren't broadcasting live games.

The response from Scott's office came: "Makes sense for Lydia Murphy-Stephans to provide a quote or talk to you."

Sure, Murphy-Stephans is the network president. But it was a bad look. What fans -- and athletic directors -- wanted most was evidence that conference leadership was in this with them. But Scott just isn't.

All this brings us back to Guerrero, of course. Because Scott misplayed his hand here in a way that goes beyond the betrayal of television viewers or the disenfranchisement of season-ticket holders. It's one thing to alienate a family that can't make a 7:30 p.m. kickoff because it has young children or to ignore the frustration of an elderly viewer who tuned into the conference basketball tournament and instead found re-runs of old games. But it was shocking to see Scott call out Guerrero in such a cavalier and non-beneficial way while hiding out on the other important issues.

This was a shocking departure for Scott. One that feels miscalculated and self serving. Either Scott hadn't even bothered to speak with Guerrero after the vote or he was just more interested in quickly shaping Guerrero into the patsy. Either way, that's foolish.

This is a conference commissioner who has typically played things so safe that when he was once asked what he thought about a potential ban of athletics transfers with conduct issues, Scott replied, "We don't have a conference position on it... every major policy we have is set by the presidents. I don't set our policies in terms of the issues like the ones we're talking about."

I couldn't have been alone in hoping Scott would have stood strong there, and assumed an inspiring and strong leadership position. And I couldn't have been more amused when Scott followed March's vote of the Pac 12 presidents to ban such transfer students with this statement: "I applaud our university leadership for giving this important issue such thoughtful consideration. The safety of all students is a high priority for our universities."

Feels as if Scott would have applauded either way.

College football is busy sorting itself out. The NCAA is in transition. The conferences are all jockeying for position and revenue. Rules are being changed and the landscape is shifting. Never before has it been more important for strong leadership in the Pac 12. As much as I liked some of the ideas and vision that Scott brought in, I'm now wondering how much longer he'll last.

The TV deal should have already been unwound and rectified. There should have been a commitment to protect ticket holders from so many unreasonable kickoffs. And the Pac 12 should never have assumed a passive position while the ACC and SEC were so active. I like Scott on a personal level. He's seems like a nice guy. But what he's providing to the Pac 12 right now isn't even the illusion of leadership.

Not siding with Guerrero here, but I don't know how he was supposed to vote given that his only choice was between the ACC and the SEC's proposals. Guerrero's been diplomatic, reasonable, and thoughtful in the way he's handled himself afterward. Feels like he found himself in a difficult spot and decided the best course was to do what was best for the conference.

In fact, maybe he ought to be the next Pac-12 commissioner.

-- @JohnCanzanoBFT

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... _lead.html" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Guerrero vs. Scott is like trying to figure out which dog turd tastes better.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We need a pac12 Spring.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Will be in Phoenix May 2nd. Listening to some podcasts it will be very interesting what happens in these meetings.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fire this man...
Finally, Scott addressed issues with the Pac-12 Network, which have lagged behind the revenue production of the Big Ten and SEC Networks, in large part due to distribution problems, most notably the lack of a contract with DirecTV. Among the three conference networks, the Pac-12 is the only conference to fully own and operate its network without a broadcast partner.

"We like our model," Scott said. "Up to to this point, there has been no more attractive option."
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... ble-pac-12" target="_blank
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Occupy San Francisco? Viva la Revolucion!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fuck Larry Scott and his voodoo economics.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck that guy seriously.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Corrupt mf-er
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That douche got a raise?? And the head of the network makes $1.25M??? For what?????
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He's earned the money. He's hard at work on serious issues like UCLA wearing too much eye black
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Just another micromanaging administrator too incompetent to handle the more pressing macroissues.

He needs to get booed every year in Vegas--and everywhere else he shows up.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What a fucking pussy.

He's trying to kill Arizona and get miller to leave the conference.

Spring break is in the middle of tourney time douchebag.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

CST, it says except during a teams regular season which I would assume includes the tourney period.

He is still a POS though
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Innovating for innovations sake.

Are the academic outcomes for Pac12 that different then other power 5 conferences to attend such sweeping changes?

What a focker
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

The Pac-12 will cut back on late night starts for 2016 college football games
The Pac-12 has announced that it will be cutting back on kickoffs after 7 p.m. PT on the Pac-12 Network

The Pac-12 After Dark we've come to know and love is going to be Pac-12 afternoon a little more often in the 2016 season.
As part of the conference's end of the year board meeting, the Pac-12 announced it will reduce the number of late night starts on the Pac-12 Network in 2016. The conference has modified its television agreement with ESPN and Fox to allow games on the Pac-12 Network to overlap and begin at 2:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. PT. According to the release, this could reduce the number of late night starts (after 7 p.m. PT) by up to four for 2016.
"The Pac-12 has some of the most loyal fans in college athletics and we appreciate our television partners working with us on this important issue for fans," said Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens. "The increased exposure and revenue from our contracts with ESPN and FOX Sports have been instrumental to our success, but we continue to work hard to minimize as much as possible the negative impact late start times have on our fans who travel great distances to see our teams in person."
For the hardcore college football viewer that learned to love those late kickoffs that often continued into the wee hours of the morning on the east coast, it's a bit bittersweet because they provided so much late night entertainment. However, the motive for the conference is understandable. Earlier kickoffs allow for the potential for more eyeballs nationally -- east coast bias has long been a concern for Pac-12 teams in voting for both polls and awards -- and, as Mullens noted in his statement, allow for more flexibility in travel for visiting teams and fans.
Pac-12 After Dark isn't going away totally, but we will now have some weeks where the Power Five conference slate ends before midnight on the east coast. We'll just have to adjust and get our late night college football fix from the Mountain West by way of the dulcet sounds of Robert Kekaula on the ultra late night Hawaii broadcasts.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ball-games" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CSM wins on court storming, and RichRod wins on late starts!

Not just them of course, but glad to see the PAC isn't totally opposed to listening to them now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:CSM wins on court storming, and RichRod wins on late starts!

Not just them of course, but glad to see the PAC isn't totally opposed to listening to them now.
I think Larry knows he's on the hot seat and that no changes to the things coaches, ADs, and school presidents are complaining about would make the Pac12 Network failure all the more glaring.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

He makes those policy changes because he doesn't have the power or the competence to orchestrate meaningful, actually competitive reform.

That will still keep Scott's butt on the hot seat for the foreseeable future and will eventually be his downfall unless the P12N is significantly retooled.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Really, the only way we will be able to pressure the Presidents to fire Scott will be to threaten to stop supporting the schools financially. If there is even a whiff of folks not renewing their season tix, not donating to school athletics or academics...the Presidents will move. Until then, they will do what they do, pontificate without REAL action.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

The action to stop court storming was going to happen, but it happened sooner than I expected. I'm sure behind closed doors and on the phone at least one AD mentioned "lawsuits" for when the inevitable injury happened; injury to a player or injury to a boneheaded fan. Miller never publicly said "lawsuit" but he certainly implied it when he spoke of Zeus possibly punching someone on the court. And, then there's also the insurance premiums; my guess is they've been going up with the increased frequency of stormin the court.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

the real dill wrote:The Pac-12 will cut back on late night starts for 2016 college football games
The Pac-12 has announced that it will be cutting back on kickoffs after 7 p.m. PT on the Pac-12 Network

The Pac-12 After Dark we've come to know and love is going to be Pac-12 afternoon a little more often in the 2016 season.
As part of the conference's end of the year board meeting, the Pac-12 announced it will reduce the number of late night starts on the Pac-12 Network in 2016. The conference has modified its television agreement with ESPN and Fox to allow games on the Pac-12 Network to overlap and begin at 2:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. PT. According to the release, this could reduce the number of late night starts (after 7 p.m. PT) by up to four for 2016.
"The Pac-12 has some of the most loyal fans in college athletics and we appreciate our television partners working with us on this important issue for fans," said Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens. "The increased exposure and revenue from our contracts with ESPN and FOX Sports have been instrumental to our success, but we continue to work hard to minimize as much as possible the negative impact late start times have on our fans who travel great distances to see our teams in person."
For the hardcore college football viewer that learned to love those late kickoffs that often continued into the wee hours of the morning on the east coast, it's a bit bittersweet because they provided so much late night entertainment. However, the motive for the conference is understandable. Earlier kickoffs allow for the potential for more eyeballs nationally -- east coast bias has long been a concern for Pac-12 teams in voting for both polls and awards -- and, as Mullens noted in his statement, allow for more flexibility in travel for visiting teams and fans.
Pac-12 After Dark isn't going away totally, but we will now have some weeks where the Power Five conference slate ends before midnight on the east coast. We'll just have to adjust and get our late night college football fix from the Mountain West by way of the dulcet sounds of Robert Kekaula on the ultra late night Hawaii broadcasts.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ball-games" target="_blank
Fuck Larry Scott and his hate for Arizona.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lol so much for afternoon games and better start times.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think the AD of the UofA desires evening start times in September and are guaranteed those.

The ASSU game, no clue as to why it's not on at a better time
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Rich rod just cares about the late night Saturday road games

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichRod also wants people in the seats.

College kids will be gone by half time to hit the clubs and parties. Old timers like me won't even go since we don't want to be sitting in the parking lot trying to get out around midnight.

BYU and ASU perhaps, but Grambling and Hawaii?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well if we beat by impressively it won't be as bad, also since Grambling is the first home game. Hawaii may not be a good crowd though.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... g-ten-sec/" target="_blank

Big Ten: $41 million per school
(Includes Tier 1 deal, annual Big Ten Network distributions and BTN profit sharing)

SEC: $34 million per school
(Includes Tier 1 and SEC Network revenue)

Big 12: $23 million
(Includes Tier 1 deal and rights fee for football championship game but not Tier 3 rights, which are owned by the schools and vary greatly)

Pac-12: $22.5 million
(Includes Tier 1 deal and $2.5 million per school in Pac-12 Networks distributions)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »